India (110/2) defeat South Africa (106/8) by 8 wickets to win the 1st T20I - Lead series 1-0

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Preview

There's a sense of scheduling absurdity to South Africa's tour of India for white-ball games just four months after they last visited, but Wednesday marks the start of the final week of World Cup preparation for both these sides. Interestingly, a lot has happened in both worlds since June when they previously played each other.

India have had Virat Kohli make an appreciable return to the top of the order, even if his strike rate has some room for improvement; the race for the third pacer option has perhaps narrowed down to Harshal Patel and Arshdeep Singh, with both having a chance to impress in the South Africa fixtures, while the team management's preference of Dinesh Karthik over Rishabh Pant is also starting to take shape.

For South Africa, life in the T20I lane has been refreshingly good in the last 12 months - winning 13 of their 18 T20Is. Since sharing the honours in the five games with India in June, South Africa went on to win a series in England and against Ireland, finding consistent top-order riches along the way. The dilemma for them, starting Wednesday, will be about who makes way for Temba Bavuma, the regular skipper who returns having just been overlooked by all six franchises at the auction for the inaugural season of the SA20.

When: India vs South Africa, 1st T20I, September 27, 2022, 07:00 PM IST

Where: Greenfield International Stadium, Thiruvananthapuram

What to expect: Only two T20Is have been played at this venue, and only one of them a full 20-overs-a-side affair, in 2019. There's no threat of rain for Wednesday, with cloudy skies and temperatures in the late 20s.

Team News:

India

Injuries/Availability: Mohammed Shami hasn't travelled for the first T20I and is still out after recently missing the Australia series due to covid. Deepak Hooda too is not ready due to a back injury. India will be without Bhuvneshwar and Hardik Pandya in this series, who will undergo conditioning-related training at the NCA in Bengaluru in the lead-up to next month's World Cup.

Tactics & Matchups: With Hardik not available, these three games offer Pant the chance to prove he has more to offer to this Indian side than just his left-handedness, as the team has shown a tendency to prefer Dinesh Karthik over him in recent games. Yuzvendra Chahal, who has had the wood over the left-handed Quinton de Kock in T20s, will also look for an upturn in form following ordinary outings against Australia.

Probable XI: Rohit Sharma, KL Rahul, Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant, Dinesh Karthik, Axar Patel, Harshal Patel, Yuzvendra Chahal, Jasprit Bumrah, Arshdeep Singh

South Africa

Injuries/Availability: Bavuma returns after a three-month layoff, courtesy an elbow injury that he sustained on South Africa's previous tour of India in June.

Tactics & Matchups: Wayne Parnell, who picked a five-wicket haul in his last T20I in August, could trouble India's right-hander dominated top-order, who've all had issues against left-arm pace. On the batting front, South Africa will hope Quinton de Kock and David Miller can take the lead in blunting India's in-form spinner Axar Patel owing to their match-up superiority.

Probable XI: Quinton de Kock, Reeza Hendricks, Aiden Markram/Rilee Rossouw, Temba Bavuma, Heinrich Klaasen/Tristan Stubbs, David Miller, Wayne Parnell, Kagiso Rabada, Tabraiz Shamsi, Keshav Maharaj, Anrich Nortje

What they said:

"Coming back from an injury is never easy. He missed cricket for close to two months. Whenever bowlers go through an injury phase and come back, it's never easy, so we've not really judged him on how he has performed in these three games because we know his quality. He has bowled some tough overs for us in the past, and also for his franchise. We believe in his quality," - Rohit Sharma on Harshal Patel

"This is our last series before the World Cup. We'll be looking at this series to fill up whatever gaps that are there within the team." - Temba Bavuma

Squads:

South Africa Squad: Quinton de Kock(w), Temba Bavuma(c), Rilee Rossouw, Aiden Markram, David Miller, Tristan Stubbs, Dwaine Pretorius, Wayne Parnell, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje, Tabraiz Shamsi, Reeza Hendricks, Lungi Ngidi, Keshav Maharaj, Heinrich Klaasen

India Squad: Rohit Sharma(c), KL Rahul, Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant(w), Axar Patel, Dinesh Karthik, Deepak Chahar, Arshdeep Singh, Jasprit Bumrah, Yuzvendra Chahal, Harshal Patel, Ravichandran Ashwin, Mohammed Shami, Deepak Hooda

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

5. Report abuse. If you see any post which is inappropriate, report it. Do not respond to it.

Umesh Yadav, Shreyas Iyer and Shahbaz Ahmed added to India’s squad

Deepak Hooda is ruled out of the upcoming Mastercard South Africa Tour of India after sustaining a back injury. The all-rounder is at NCA for further management of his injury.

Hardik Pandya and Bhuvneshwar Kumar have also reported to the NCA for conditioning-related work while Arshdeep Singh has linked up with the squad in Thiruvananthapuram.

Mohd. Shami is yet to attain full recovery from COVID-19 and will not be able to take part in the three-match T20I series. The All-India Senior Selection Committee has named Umesh Yadav as Shami’s replacement and Shreyas Iyer as a replacement for Hooda. Shahbaz Ahmed has also been added to the T20I squad.

India squad for South Africa T20Is: Rohit Sharma (Captain), KL Rahul (vice-captain), Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant (wicket-keeper), Dinesh Karthik (wicket-keeper), R. Ashwin, Yuzvendra Chahal, Axar Patel, Arshdeep Singh, Harshal Patel, Deepak Chahar, Jasprit Bumrah, Umesh Yadav, Shreyas Iyer, Shahbaz Ahmed.

BCCI

Did BCCI mess up?

==

India pacer Mohammed Shami on Wednesday tested negative for COVID-19, over 10 days after he had been infected by the virus. The 32-year-old posted his negative report on his Instagram account, hours after the BCCI named veteran pacer Umesh Yadav as his replacement for the three-match T20I series against South Africa, beginning on Wednesday in Thiruvananthapuram. "Negative," Shami wrote along with a picture of his COVID test report.

The senior India pacer had tested positive for the virus on September 17.

He was subsequently ruled out of the recently-concluded three-match series against Australia.

Earlier in the day, the pacer had been ruled out of the T20s against South Africa with the BCCI saying he is "yet to attain full recovery from COVID-19." Shami, who hasn't played any cricket after England series in July, had been brought back into the T20 mix when he was picked for the games against Australia and South Africa.

He has been named as a stand-by for the T20 World Cup in Australia next month.

NDTV

India have won the toss and have opted to field

Teams:

South Africa (Playing XI): Quinton de Kock(w), Temba Bavuma(c), Rilee Rossouw, Aiden Markram, David Miller, Tristan Stubbs, Wayne Parnell, Kagiso Rabada, Keshav Maharaj, Anrich Nortje, Tabraiz Shamsi

India (Playing XI): Rohit Sharma(c), KL Rahul, Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant(w), Dinesh Karthik, Axar Patel, Ravichandran Ashwin, Harshal Patel, Deepak Chahar, Arshdeep Singh

Bavuma: We probably would have fielded first as well. Good going over the last couple of months. This is an important series for us and we want to continue all the good work. Guys always enjoy the India trip, the energy of the guys is up again and nice to be back in action after a couple of months. Different conditions to Australia but in terms of match practice, it is a great opportunity.

Rohit: We are gonna bowl first. It was a good wicket when we played here last time. Bit of green covering but it's gonna be a good batting track. Very critical to continue to do what you're doing and keep that momentum in this format. Very healthy atmosphere in the group and we also want to make sure to tick all the boxes and so far we have been doing good and we just want to continue to do that. Hardik and Bhuvi are rested from the last series. Pant and Arshdeep come in for them. Bumrah and Chahal miss out. Deepak chahar and Ashwin are back.

If he gets accurate swing anywhere close to this he will worry a lot of batsmen. Unplayable swing bowling

Will overrate be an issue given all this time being spent between every couple of deliveries? Very tactical stuff from SA. :asad1

Bhuvi would have had an easy 5-for on this wicket.

That s some swing bowling from arsh. Would.like to such a surface in karachi

Now that India is winning the matches some fans have stopped bringing the toss excuse. Are you not going to say now that it was a good toss to win for India? :kp :inti

SA need to target 120 score on this and then Rabada Nortje shall do the rest.

No need to bring Pakistan in this game - clear?

Don't worry SA, trundler harshal Patel will come and take out all the pressure and will set India a target of 150+

Arshdeep is a star in the making. Bounce and swing are his strength and with new ball he can be deadly. With old ball, he can deliver those pinpoint yorkers.

India needs him for WC. These bilateral are just for testing the strength of the bench.
So you imply IPL > International cricket as Bumrah plays each and every IPL game for his MI even if its an inconsequential game.

Doesn't he feel the need to rest during IPL? Or do they make him bowl more than 4 overs in IT20s?

Either ways, it reflects very poorly on a champion cricketer like Bumrah.

And nobody is asking Bumrah to play each and every IT20 we play. How many IT20s has he played this year btw? Compare that to number of IPL games he played this year and you'll get your answer.

And nobody is asking Bumrah to play each and every IT20 we play. How many IT20s has he played this year btw? Compare that to number of IPL games he played this year and you'll get your answer.

I think he missed like 35 out of 45 T20s.

I think Dravid/Rohit may feel that he is not ready yet and is still recovering from injury especially after seeing him having gone for 50 last match! So they are giving him all the time he needs.

I think he missed like 35 out of 45 T20s.
Which is why I said extremely poor of Bumrah to miss so many games in India colors while playing each and every game for MI for god knows how many seasons.

Is it that difficult to grasp for IPL apologists?

I think Dravid/Rohit may feel that he is not ready yet and is still recovering from injury especially after seeing him having gone for 50 last match! So they are giving him all the time he needs.
lol, so he doesn't need any time off in IPL?

Is he always 100% fit and raring to go during IPL? Does this fatigue and lack of fitness only comes forth whenever there is international cricket?

Bumrah needs to play more T20 games because he takes time to get back to rhythm, I don't think he is even asking to rest as such it's BCCI taking a silly call.

lol, so he doesn't need any time off in IPL?

Is he always 100% fit and raring to go during IPL? Does this fatigue and lack of fitness only comes forth whenever there is international cricket?

I have lost count of how many times I have said the same thing that Bumrah should skip IPL to prolong his international career. He got a phainty in the only match he played against Australia. He would have easily taken a 4fer here and that would have boosted his confidence before the WC. :inti

Once in a blue moon our bowlers will trick us with this type of performances...😂😂

SA 106/8. Not a bad recovery after being 5 out for 9 runs

Lol, Rahul plays out a maiden first up.

Well done chump

I have lost count of how many times I have said the same thing that Bumrah should skip IPL to prolong his international career. He got a phainty in the only match he played against Australia. He would have easily taken a 4fer here and that would have boosted his confidence before the WC. :inti
It's easy to blame BCCI and let Bumrah go scot free in this.

India showing the world they can run through lineup even with trundlers bowling at 130-132 kph while teams like Pakistan need a couple of quality bowlers who can bowl 145+ to run through batting lineup.

Rahul extremely lucky.

Absolutely poor decision from Anil.

Great delivery from Rabada, Rohit gone for duck.

Rahul practicing for test series vs Australia. Good job. It is more relevant than 20-20 tamasha decided by toss. :kp :inti

Courtesy the tuk tuk master, we score our lowest ever score (17) in a T20 power play.

India 17/1 after 6 overs (PP). CRR 2.83. What is this pitch?

Back