India (213/7) defeat Sri Lanka (170/10) by 43 runs to go 1-0 up in the 3 match T20I series

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The revamped Indian team, led by Suryakumar Yadav and Gautam Gambhir, is set to face Charith Asalanka’s squad in a three-match T20I series beginning today on Saturday at the Pallekele International Cricket Stadium

India are the number one ranked T20I side heading into this series, while Sri Lanka are placed eighth. In 29 T20Is between the two sides, India have won 19 games while Sri Lanka nine games. One match ended in no result.

gZeOsOW.png

Squads:

Sri Lanka
Squad: Pathum Nissanka, Avishka Fernando, Kusal Mendis(w), Charith Asalanka(c), Dasun Shanaka, Kamindu Mendis, Wanindu Hasaranga, Maheesh Theekshana, Dilshan Madushanka, Matheesha Pathirana, Binura Fernando, Dinesh Chandimal, Kusal Perera, Asitha Fernando, Dunith Wellalage, Chamindu Wickramasinghe

India Squad: Shubman Gill, Yashasvi Jaiswal, Suryakumar Yadav(c), Rishabh Pant(w), Hardik Pandya, Rinku Singh, Washington Sundar, Axar Patel, Ravi Bishnoi, Arshdeep Singh, Mohammed Siraj, Sanju Samson, Riyan Parag, Khaleel Ahmed, Shivam Dube

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Ahh.. I see we're back for another India-Sri Lanka bilateral white ball series.

Great!

Speaking ahead of the first match, Charith Asalanka said:

"From under 15 level I've captained teams, and there' s been a lot of change since then. That's what I tell my team members too - we can't be at the same place we've always been at. From day to day you have to improve and that's how you become a good player or a good captain. I've played under many captains, and I've tried to absorb as many of their good traits into my captaincy and into my life as possible."

"What I really want is to get 100% out of my players, and to create a positive environment for them. We have a lot of talented cricketers, but what's important is to get the most out of them and have them win matches. I've told them to play freely and when we've given them plans, to go out there and execute them without fear. That's what you can expect from me as a captain."

"If you look at the LPL, it's the No. 1 tournament we have to make decisions like this," Asalanka said. "More than domestic T20s, the LPL is at a much higher level. As a captain, I think if you perform at the LPL you should get a good chance at playing in the national team."

-Teams that lose the toss have a 15-7 record in Pallekele
- Hasaranga took 2 wickets in each of his last 4 T20Is
- Kusal Mendis cleared 30+ runs in 1 of his 6 Pallekele inns
- Siraj has never taken 2+ wkts in an Asian T20I

-Teams that lose the toss have a 15-7 record in Pallekele
- Hasaranga took 2 wickets in each of his last 4 T20Is
- Kusal Mendis cleared 30+ runs in 1 of his 6 Pallekele inns
- Siraj has never taken 2+ wkts in an Asian T20I
Is siraj playing today? I heard he has some minor injury issue

If 2 teams have similar color jerseys- they should change it as an away game. It's too much blue to watch with no contrast. Ind-afg with blue, pak-ire with green - the colors should be changed for better viewing

For Indian fans looking to follow their team abroad, Sri Lanka is probably the best destination alongside South Africa. Amazing countries and easy on wallet. Everywhere else gets too expensive.

Would like BCCI to organize tours to Lanka during months of Nov-March.

Toss Update:

Sri Lanka have won the toss and have opted to field

Last edited:
Gambhir with an early win with that XI picked.

Win or lose, stick with that combination

The safety of a 6th bowling option has been junked. We'll see if this strategy endures.

Toss Update:

Sri Lanka have won the toss and have opted to field
Sri Lanka (Playing XI): Pathum Nissanka, Kusal Mendis(w), Kusal Perera, Kamindu Mendis, Charith Asalanka(c), Wanindu Hasaranga, Dasun Shanaka, Maheesh Theekshana, Matheesha Pathirana, Asitha Fernando, Dilshan Madushanka

India (Playing XI): Shubman Gill, Yashasvi Jaiswal, Suryakumar Yadav(c), Rishabh Pant(w), Riyan Parag, Hardik Pandya, Rinku Singh, Axar Patel, Ravi Bishnoi, Arshdeep Singh, Mohammed Siraj

Gambhir with an early win with that XI picked.

Win or lose, stick with that combination
It's so good to see a batting heavy combination in an Indian team. I really hope they stick with this combination for white ball cricket going forward.

India to bat first

Jazzball starts with a first ball boundary

India have scored 3rd most runs in first 4 overs against SL in T20Is

Highest total in first 4 overs against Sri Lanka in T20Is:

58/0 - NZ, Auckland, 2016
57/3 - WI, Antigua, 2021
51/0 - IND, Pallekele, 2024
50/0 - AFG, Dambulla, 2024

This should be the kind of knock Gill needs to play in T20s. An ideal T20 openers knock.

That's okay. Pant is in. But Pant has to prove us wrong. He has played 70 odd T20s with terrible record. But being played for X factor over Sanju samson.

India have hit 2nd most boundaries in powerplay against SL in T20Is

Most boundaries against Sri Lanka in powerplay in T20Is:

16 - West Indies, Antigua, 2021
14 - India, Pallekele, 2024
13 - Afghanistan, Dubai, 2022
13 - Australia, Pallekele, 2011

Pant doesnt fit in this Indian T20I line up. Or he is out of form. I dont know which
He doesn't have the T20 shots. He relies on fancy shots to accelerate. Field set in T20 won't allow him to get away with those shots.

Why Risabh Pant is so shitty in t20is? 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️
He is great for Capitals in IPL, but he never perform in T20Is?

Pant is equally bad in ODIs except that century in England.
He should play tests only 👍🏻

Big wicket.

Now they can slow down the run rate... but the game is already lost.

Surely Samson is better than Pant.

Is he getting unlimted chances only due to his accident?
I even rate Jitesh and Kishan higher than Pant👍🏻
Jitesh can attack from ball 1. India should give him chance to comeback.
Jurel is good too👍🏻

why sky reviews that..? Pathetic from him.. even Pant was said him that was plumb..

Last edited by a moderator:
It's completely looking like mens vs boys.Attrocious fielding from lanka who were once a best fielding side in asia and one of the best in world.

Problem with Pant is he premeditates the shots. He don't play ball with merit.

Rinku Singh has strike rate of 180+ with proper cricketing shots. Never saw Rinku blindly slogging. Rinku play every ball with merit 👍🏻

After missing 3 balls, Pant finally connects whit the 4th 6️⃣ and the 5th 4️⃣

RInku SIngh rarely gets many deliveries to face and then is sidelined again and again.

How rinku is not comes ahead of parag now .

How rinku is not comes ahead of parag now .
Seems like they're trying to maintain left right combo. If Parag gets out, they'll probably send right hander Siraj or Bishnoi 😂😂

Finally Pants luck run out.. or this time Pathirana doesn't need his fielders..

Pant was ok in the end. Not every T20 inning is going to follow the script or whatever expectations fans have. All I care for for the next few month is brave selection calls, identifying the right talent and playing as a team.

This is an EXCELLENT start regardless of the result.

Back