India (285/9d & 98/3) crush Bangladesh (233 & 146) by 7 wickets in the 2nd Test match to clean sweep the series 2-0

Most Player of the Series awards in Tests
11 - Muttiah Muralitharan
11 - Ravichandran Ashwin
9 - Jacques Kallis
8 - Sir Richard Hadlee
8 - Imran Khan
8 - Shane Warne

India extend lead on World Test Championship standings after Kanpur victory

A brilliant bowling display on Day 5 backed India’s attacking approach with the bat, as the Men in Blue took the series 2-0 with a memorable win over Bangladesh.

India’s exceptionally aggressive approach in Kanpur paid dividends as they secured a famous triumph over Bangladesh.

With this victory, they further bolstered their position at the top of the WTC standings, with an improved point percentage of 74.24.

For Bangladesh, this loss means a point percentage of 34.38 and they slip to the seventh position, behind South Africa and New Zealand.

Bangladesh’s first innings was spread over four days, with Day 1 impacted by rain and Days 2 and 3 being completely lost to inclement weather and a wet pitch. They eventually finished at 233, reaching that total courtesy of Mominul Haque’s 107.

With little time left in the game, India went into all-out attack mode, scoring the fastest Test team 50, 100, 150, 200, and 250 on the way. After getting 52 runs ahead of Bangladesh in just 34.4 overs, Rohit Sharma declared India's innings. Yashasvi Jaiswal (72 from 51) and KL Rahul (68 from 43) were the star contributors.

Ravichandran Ashwin struck twice on the fourth evening to keep India in contention for a win.

Rohit’s team went in full force on the final day, with Ravichandran Ashwin (3/50) getting an early scalp. A resilient stand between Shadman Islam (50) and Najmul Hossain Shanto fought for Bangladesh but Ravindra Jadeja (3/34) turned it around with a fabulous spell, getting three crucial scalps in his first three overs.

Jasprit Bumrah (3/17) got through the tail in no time, as Bangladesh were eventually bowled out for 146 runs. India kept their foot on the pedal in the fourth innings as well and chased down a target of 95 with seven wickets to spare.

Next up, India will take on New Zealand, whereas Bangladesh host South Africa at home.

ICC

gee whiz....winning test match inside 10 odd sessions.....that takes some doing....
My commiserations to the rational BD fans....

On another front....compare the pages of this test to the first few pages of Chennai test when we were 6 down for 150 odd..going by some indian posters - the typical pessimistic termites who live off the last ball bowled/run hit/match won and will not hesitate to put the boot in when we are down....but fail to turn up on the last few pages of the Chennai test and wholesome absent here...they know who they are and are reading this....

The prob is when they come with packages and agenda....like in the WCT20 finals when their dream scenario was him visiting and us loosing..both didnt happen and they lost that climax....
Ab ke liye - BHAAG gaye :haha :afridi :Dah

Last edited by a moderator:
gee whiz....winning test match inside 10 odd sessions.....that takes some doing....

On another front....compare the pages of this test to the first few pages of Chennai test when we were 6 down for 150 odd..going by some indian posters - the typical pessimistic termites who live off the last ball bowled/run hit/match won and will not hesitate to put the boot in when we are down....but fail to turn up on the last few pages of the Chennai test and wholesome absent here...they know who they are and are reading this....

The prob is when they come with packages and agenda....like in the WCT20 finals when their dream scenario was him visiting and us loosing..both didnt happen and they lost that climax....

If India runs into strife in the next test or so - these sook/guys will crawl out of the wood work and be back here like clockwork....

actually I was very upset that it took us 52 overs of batting ... anything less than 50 overs would qualify as a proper and official mauling of the ODI kind lol

but yeah ... this is how its done :cigar :bow:

Yeah. Bumrah is a very tough bowler to play. No doubt about it.

That forward release, the lift , the difficulty in picking the action and tracking the ball.
India should try valiantly to keep him fit and free of injury. Another injury and lay off- they won't get same Bumrah again.

He is an asset for India, cricket world also. One piece. India is lucky not to have him as opposition bowler

BDCT have been swept shot so hard they cant even come up with moral victory...

Edit- one will argue that stretching India to D5 is a moral victory :viru

India should try valiantly to keep him fit and free of injury. Another injury and lay off- they won't get same Bumrah again.

He is an asset for India, cricket world also. One piece. India is lucky not to have him as opposition bowler

India have had the bad luck of facing McGrath, Ambrose, Warne, Murali etc etc as opposition. So, on balance, India is still the unluckiest team when it comes to facing best bowlers.

Whilst opposition had the luck of face Dinda, Kuruville, Atul Waas, Prabhakars of this world.
I am of the vintage who remember a guy called Rajinder singh ghai - dude used to run from the sight screen.
Viv richards full on gum chewing etc did'nt blink/even take a front foot forward/adjust his shoulders etc - just regally lifted his bat to meet the ball....which was then deposited 12 rows into the Sharjah crowd....
the same with David warner jumping down half of the Waca pitch and depositing vinay kumar over his head into the crowds...
Stuff to make you go into a deep funk...
A lot times of spent watching our 'quicks' me and my bro's felt we needed 'therapy'...:)...
Well, days are sure happier now...

yes totally agree.
good step not to include in up coming T20.
I don't think he will play all 3 test vs NewZees...
But i hope Shami will be selected - any update on this?

Whilst opposition had the luck of face Dinda, Kuruville, Atul Waas, Prabhakars of this world.
There was also Dodda Ganesh, dude had Waqar Younis's action but slightly nicer version of Waqar's action, however did not have the pace of Waqar and soon faded...

India have had the bad luck of facing McGrath, Ambrose, Warne, Murali etc etc as opposition. So, on balance, India is still the unluckiest team when it comes to facing best bowlers.

Our previous generation of Tendulkar - Dravid - Laxman - Sehwag - Ganguly could have dominated all over the world with our present bowling attack.

These Tests were happening at midnights for me. Looks like I made a good decision to not sacrifice my sleep.

Anyway, the one-sided 2-0 scoreline was expected. Nothing surprising here.

These Tests were happening at midnights for me. Looks like I made a good decision to not sacrifice my sleep.

Anyway, the one-sided 2-0 scoreline was expected. Nothing surprising here.
No one is surprised at the 2-0 scoreline. What is surprising to most of us is BD losing a test match to Ind inside 2 days. Same BD had whitewashed Pak 2-0 nearly 2 weeks ago in similar conditions.

Do you really think they (or that one particular poster) is an Indian ? Nah! 🤣

Still can't believe Pakistan got whitewashed at home by this tinpot Bangladesh team.
Bangladesh worked hard and spent all their energy in beating Pakistan. After that, they probably were tired and hence lost to India. :) Or they were tired of winning too. Let us give them some slack.

There was also Dodda Ganesh, dude had Waqar Younis's action but slightly nicer version of Waqar's action, however did not have the pace of Waqar and soon faded...

Don't man. Those are some dark, dark memories.

How can you forget David Johnson, the wild thing! :akhtar

Feel bad for Bangladesh to be honest. Despite being a the most backed minnow team ever in the history of cricket they never made any strides till maybe the last 10 yrs. Zimbabwe and even Kenya were competing with big teams occasionally with 1-2 exciting players but Bangladesh team always looked like they put together some Sunday league cricketers who rolled their left arm over and had decent defensive techniques to survive even though not score.

In the last 10 yrs though they built some momentum. They started winning at home playing to their strengths against big teams or 2nd string of big teams, competed in odi cricket and beat Pak in Pak . This was like the icing on the cake. I felt this could be a start of something.

However seems like back to the drawing board after this thumping.

They have some exciting talent though. Not as boring as they used to be.

Feel bad for Bangladesh to be honest. Despite being a the most backed minnow team ever in the history of cricket they never made any strides till maybe the last 10 yrs. Zimbabwe and even Kenya were competing with big teams occasionally with 1-2 exciting players but Bangladesh team always looked like they put together some Sunday league cricketers who rolled their left arm over and had decent defensive techniques to survive even though not score.

In the last 10 yrs though they built some momentum. They started winning at home playing to their strengths against big teams or 2nd string of big teams, competed in odi cricket and beat Pak in Pak . This was like the icing on the cake. I felt this could be a start of something.

No shame in losing to this Indian team to be honest.

Bangladesh have found some really good players. They should aim to be second best team in Asia.

Feel bad for Bangladesh to be honest. .....

I don't think BD progress should be judged based on how well they play against current Indian side. They whitewashed Pakistan in Pakistan. Let's wait for other test series.

India has an ATG bowling unit. Many posters are being too harsh to say that BD is minnow and all that based on getting blown by Indian bowlers. Not you but I see many posters saying that.

Agreed.
I always used to think that Bangladesh cricket would be dead once Shakib and Mushfiq retire. It looks like they have some decent players to replace them now. Players like Mominul, Najmul, Mehdi Hassan and Liton Das are all good prospects.

Hope this beautiful performance by your favt team (that is any team that plays against India) was yet another addon on to your existing good memories of Kanpur, Sweepy 🥸

Cheers👍🏻
Cawnpore the name forever etched on the backs of BDCT and their canadian fans- fed and watered for 2 days, slaughtered and dispatched in 1.5 days.

Ravichandran Ashwin made a startling revelation about a team meeting where skipper Rohit and Co. discussed the possibilities of forfeiting an inning after rain:

"Yes, we discussed it (forfeiting an innings). We were considering whether we should forfeit an innings, but the heat was so intense. These are harsh conditions--sweating profusely, I had to change shirts four times in a day, and it still wasn't enough,"

"It was especially tough on the fast bowlers, and even the spinners found it exhausting. If we got them out for another 200 runs, it would still mean spending five sessions on the field, which would be hard on the batters as well. So, we decided to bat and go after the bowling,"

Hope this beautiful performance by your favt team (that is any team that plays against India) was yet another addon on to your existing good memories of Kanpur, Sweepy 🥸

Cheers👍🏻

Not all are my favorite teams.

As a Bangladeshi, I support Bangladesh.
As a Canadian, I support Canada.
As a Muslim, I support Bangladesh, Pakistan, and Afghanistan.
As a pure cricket fan, I support Australia.

Anyway, in cricket, you sometimes win and you sometimes lose. One bad loss is okay provided they don't screw up in West Indies (BD's next assignment).

:yk

yes totally agree.
good step not to include in up coming T20.
I don't think he will play all 3 test vs NewZees...
But i hope Shami will be selected - any update on this?
I think he wont be selected in upcoming T20s against Bangladesh though 4 overs isnt a big deal. But he has to take breaks inter and intra series .

His bowling action puts a lot of stress on his body.

Commiserations mate, that was woeful from your team and I did feel for sensible BD fans.

LOL at "sensible". As if non-sensible fans are begging for your commiserations.

Cawnpore the name forever etched on the backs of BDCT and their canadian fans- fed and watered for 2 days, slaughtered and dispatched in 1.5 days.

As a lifelong Shahid Afridi fan, I am always likely to remember Kanpur for his 44-ball century.

As for BD, they played without Shoriful, Taskin, and Nahid. BD didn't field a full-strength bowling attack for whatever reason.

Trust me, this is not etched on the back of my mind. This is one of many games. It is not a world cup or anything.

Fact: India bagged, skinned and dispatched 🐅

A Kanpur hiding that 🐅 fans feel the sting of whether in 🇨🇦 or 🇧🇩

Anyway, in cricket, you sometimes win and you sometimes lose. One bad loss is okay provided they don't screw up in West Indies (BD's next assignment).

That's the spirit, my friend

I hope BD team will not feel bogged down from this bad 0-2 defeat.

Next 2 Test series are quite winnable. West Indies away and South Africa at home.

I hope BD team will not feel bogged down from this bad 0-2 defeat.

Next 2 Test series are quite winnable. West Indies away and South Africa at home.
Despite this bad loss, I still feel the current BD test team is far superior to many that came before (representing BD). They just faced one of the strongest teams going around in the world cricket at the moment (in their den) and found wanting.

IMHO, there are quite a few things to like about the current BD test team (be it their pace options, spinning all-rounders, and some plucky batters). It's gonna be a herculean task for SA to win a test or two in BD (WI should be easy picking even in away conditions).

If being a Muslim matters, India has more Muslims than all 3 of these nations.

I hope the team can forget about the performance in India and start preparing for SA. SA at home..we won't get a better chance of winning that first test against them than this

By the way congrats to India. I did not think India would win this match even if it was my team. Unbelievable performance. Shades of..no scratch it..even better than the mighty 2000s Australia in terms of sheer ruthlessness

By the way congrats to India. I did not think India would win this match even if it was my team. Unbelievable performance. Shades of..no scratch it..even better than the mighty 2000s Australia in terms of sheer ruthlessness

I couldn't find a path where India could force a win given the flatness of the surface. THey found a way both with bat and ball. India induced pressure with good bowling. Bangladesh couldn't find a middle ground between aggression and defense. They succumbed. India bowling out BD was expected. Australia, England any team that visited did not stand much of a chance in their second innings against this Indian side. In the last 5 yeasr only one team batted 100 overs in their second innings. Ollie pope's epic 196 innings. All the other ennings ended 69 overs or less. India's problem was taking a lead within the time frame. Nobody expected India to go nuclear in their first innings.

who g
I couldn't find a path where India could force a win given the flatness of the surface. THey found a way both with bat and ball. India induced pressure with good bowling. Bangladesh couldn't find a middle ground between aggression and defense. They succumbed. India bowling out BD was expected. Australia, England any team that visited did not stand much of a chance in their second innings against this Indian side. In the last 5 yeasr only one team batted 100 overs in their second innings. Ollie pope's epic 196 innings. All the other ennings ended 69 overs or less. India's problem was taking a lead within the time frame. Nobody expected India to go nuclear in their first innings.
who got man of series? and match? dint watch sorry
i think despite bumrah bowling so well, i will give it to batsmen for this test. jaiswal
and series perhaps bumrah or ash?

LOL at "sensible". As if non-sensible fans are begging for your commiserations.

As a lifelong Shahid Afridi fan, I am always likely to remember Kanpur for his 44-ball century.

As for BD, they played without Shoriful, Taskin, and Nahid. BD didn't field a full-strength bowling attack for whatever reason.

Trust me, this is not etched on the back of my mind. This is one of many games. It is not a world cup or anything.
but nahid and task played first game and they still got smashed though. india also missing shami, sarfraz (your fav)etc

but nahid and task played first game and they still got smashed though. india also missing shami, sarfraz (your fav)etc

Nahid and Taskin didn't get smashed. India were 144/6 in 1st Test. Even in 2nd innings of 1st Test, they did okay.

2nd Test bowling was outrageously bad.

Anyway, no point in crying over spilled milk.

Nahid and Taskin didn't get smashed. India were 144/6 in 1st Test. Even in 2nd innings of 1st Test, they did okay.

2nd Test bowling was outrageously bad.

Anyway, no point in crying over spilled milk.
nahid averaged 51 and taskin 42.
pretty sure that is called smashed
just like waqar averages like 69 something in india.

nahid averaged 51 and taskin 42.
pretty sure that is called smashed
just like waqar averages like 69 something in india.

Smashed would be what happened in 2nd Test. India scored almost 8.50 an over. That's called getting smashed.

BD bowling was alright in 1st Test. India were 144/6.

Smashed would be what happened in 2nd Test. India scored almost 8.50 an over. That's called getting smashed.

BD bowling was alright in 1st Test. India were 144/6.
Alright then.

You think nahid and taskin would have helped bdesh draw?

No shame in losing to this Indian team to be honest.

Bangladesh have found some really good players. They should aim to be second best team in Asia.
While I agree there's no shame in losing to this Indian side in India, there's definitely shame in losing in 2 days and being smashed for batting record run rates.

To get bundled out twice in 120 overs.

To not be able to contain a side at T20 run rates with no fielding restrictions.

To not be able to bat a full day in any innings in excellent batting conditions.

All this feels to me that Bangladesh's vaunted progress in tests is purely illusory. This team was no better than any previous team of theirs that's toured India.

You can lose but you have to put up a fight.

It was some effort to win a game in less than full 3 days. Credit should be given to india overall. Their batters setup the tone and bowlers took 20 wickets.

Back