India tour of Australia (2020/21)

2nd test starting tommorow. Where is [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] ? He was making doomsday like prediction, how indians will be quarantined in some remote island, how this series wont happen.

Now we have another pretending to be aussie poster trying to flame bait indians.
They were quarantined for two weeks, and it’s why Kohli is not coming back.

Also, Covid makes the Third Test in Sydney followed by the Fourth in Brisbane highly doubtful.

That 36AO was needed, else Saha and Shaw wouldn't have been dropped.

The way the mumbai lobby was still pushing for Shaw shows how shamelessly they must have pushed shaw before.

I have seen a lot of Indian commentators try and push across the agenda that Shaw deserved to be retained as young batsmen need to be allowed to make mistakes at test level. I don't necessarily disagree with such thinking in the normal course of affairs, but Shaw is completely out of his depth and seems to be suffering from a scrambled brain. It would be utterly unfair if they keep exposing him to the new ball right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is top 2 batsmen in terms of skills and form. He also scored 3 centuries in 2019 at an average of 90+. He is very capable of being in this team.

What has he achieved in overseas tests with his skills?

Do you think still Mumbai lobby is working?
I think no one representing in board from their side.

The coach is from Mumbai and that lobby is strong.Has deep roots in Bcci.

Ofcourse they dont like Ganguly or Shah.

If Gill fails, Rohit will come in for the 3rd test. If Vihari fails, Rohit will come in. No matter what, Rohit Sharma plays the 3rd test.

There is no logic in playing a 34 year old guy anymore, who has not done much in tests till now

I have seen a lot of Indian commentators try and push across the agenda that Shaw deserved to be retained as young batsmen need to be allowed to make mistakes at test level. I don't necessarily disagree with such thinking in the normal course of affairs, but Shaw is completely out of his depth and seems to be suffering from a scrambled brain. It would be utterly unfair if they keep exposing him to the new ball right now.

Bhogle Manju and the entire mumbai lobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
The coach is from Mumbai and that lobby is strong.Has deep roots in Bcci.

Ofcourse they dont like Ganguly or Shah.

If Gill fails, Rohit will come in for the 3rd test. If Vihari fails, Rohit will come in. No matter what, Rohit Sharma plays the 3rd test.

There is no logic in playing a 34 year old guy anymore, who has not done much in tests till now

I agree.
This is happening since his debut. Every time they picking him in tests based on his ODI form, his away average is 26 but he still getting chances in OS tests, this rule is for only Rohit.
Why they are not applying same rule for Dhawan?

We need to stop picking players based on ODI form, different rules for different players.

I agree.
This is happening since his debut. Every time they picking him in tests based on his ODI form, his away average is 26 but he still getting chances in OS tests, this rule is for only Rohit.
Why they are not applying same rule for Dhawan?

We need to stop picking players based on ODI form, different rules for different players.

One of Gill, Vihari or Mayank will be dropped on cost of Rohit in 3rd test.

Why Test cricket can't afford India to crash and burn in Melbourne

It’s easy to forget the disparity between talent and output on Indian tours of Australia, but it has been as much the norm as Australian teams playing poorly in India.

Teams of 20 to 30 years ago, with Sachin Tendulkar, Mohammed Azharuddin, Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman and Anil Kumble on board, were routinely wiped out on Australian soil. The 2003-04 and 2007-08 teams were more combative and changed the passive ‘brand’ of Indian teams abroad, but still lost. MS Dhoni’s 2011-12 team spent a summer viewing Michael Clarke without even going on Instagram. The team Dhoni and Kohli brought in 2014-15 was better, but were ground into submission by Steve Smith and David Warner.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cri...sh-and-burn-in-melbourne-20201224-p56q2s.html

LOL at the Indians.

It’s easy to forget the disparity between talent and output on Indian tours of Australia, but it has been as much the norm as Australian teams playing poorly in India.

Teams of 20 to 30 years ago, with Sachin Tendulkar, Mohammed Azharuddin, Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman and Anil Kumble on board, were routinely wiped out on Australian soil. The 2003-04 and 2007-08 teams were more combative and changed the passive ‘brand’ of Indian teams abroad, but still lost. MS Dhoni’s 2011-12 team spent a summer viewing Michael Clarke without even going on Instagram. The team Dhoni and Kohli brought in 2014-15 was better, but were ground into submission by Steve Smith and David Warner.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cri...sh-and-burn-in-melbourne-20201224-p56q2s.html

LOL at the Indians.

Makes sense. India havent won much in Australia and Australia does jack squat in India.

Australia always get pumped in India too except one or 2.

Its normal.

LOL at the Indians.

I think Australia can say this to any other team that they have also dominated away. But sadly can’t say this to India. Australian struggles in india is well known too. both are strong at home and meek away !

What has he achieved in overseas tests with his skills?

So who are you going to play instead of ? One of the Top2 batsmen in the last 5 years who averaged 90 the previous year ? experiment with an unproven talent when we dont have Kohli ? lol. Rahul Should have played today.

So who are you going to play instead of ? One of the Top2 batsmen in the last 5 years who averaged 90 the previous year ? experiment with an unproven talent when we dont have Kohli ? lol. Rahul Should have played today.

Glad he didnt. Wasn't missed at all

He needs to focus on LOIs

Indian opener Rohit Sharma will fly from Sydney on Wednesday (December 30) and join the rest of the team in Melbourne as the third Test in the four-match series is all but set to be played at the Melbourne Cricket Ground with an eye on the recent outbreak of coronavirus cases in Sydney. Speaking to ANI, sources in the know of developments within Cricket Australia (CA) said the opener will be flown in to Melbourne and will enter Team India's bio-bubble on Wednesday.

"Yes, he will be flown to Melbourne by CA on Wednesday as the third game is almost set to take place at the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) with an eye on the coronavirus outbreak," the source said.

Umesh is out of the series. Damn it. Just when he started firing. The way he was bowling, he may have taken 3 wickets easily.
Oh well. Now Saini it is for next match.

Hopefully India can win this match.

Umesh is out of the series. Damn it. Just when he started firing. The way he was bowling, he may have taken 3 wickets easily.

Bad news. Umesh was under pressure but we needed him

2 newbies is too much pressure on Bumrah

With Umesh gone I’m not even sure who we have left to fill in. Few weeks ago no one would have imagined Siraj would debut in test against Australia but here we are. Its mystery as to why so many bowlers are getting injured with hardly any cricket played this year...

The way our bowlers are getting injured, I won't be surprised if Nattu goes on to make his debut in the last test of this series. :inti

Great come back India.
This is one of our best in OS after 36AO.
Once again our bowlers standout. Good captaincy and winning knock by Rahane.

Asian teams Winning Tests in Australia

India - 8*
Pakistan - 4
Srilanka - 0
Bangladesh - 0

Teams to beat AUS in Boxing day test

1952 - SA
1982 - ENG
1986 - ENG
1988 - WI
1996 - WI
1998 - ENG
2008 - SA
2010 - ENG
2018 - IND
2020 - IND*

No Kohli.
No Shami.
No Ishant.
No Rohit.
No Umesh in second innings.
Gill making debut.
Siraj making debut.
Lost the toss.

Still, India beat Australia in Australia - One of the greatest wins ever in Test cricket history.

History made in MCG by Indian bowlers - After 32 long years, Australia don't have a fifty in a Test match.

India have won most number of Away Test match at Melbourne Cricket Ground now.

Amazing turnaround by India. Siraj looks a useful find. Gill looks right at home in Test cricket.

Each Test so far, one side has put in a poor fielding performance which ultimately cost them the Test.

Also, Covid makes the Third Test in Sydney followed by the Fourth in Brisbane highly doubtful.

India's path to WTC final at Lord's would be a lot easier if this transpired.

Wow didn't know the next test starts on 7th. That's like 9 days away. Usually Sydney tests start on 3rd of Jan.

Going to be a long wait.

The 3rd Test between Australia and India will be held in Melbourne, Sydney is in lockdown.

That's **. Has to be different venues. It gets boring on the same venue.

Congratulation for Indian victory.
It looks like Indian and Australian team is playing this series more against you.
2 matches, 2 times the team loosing the toss has won the match.

Congratulation for Indian victory.
It looks like Indian and Australian team is playing this series more against you.
2 matches, 2 times the team loosing the toss has won the match.

Hah I said that applies only to Kohli. Remember? I am still right about literally everything I said.

Kohli still only lost pink ball test not red ball. Hehe. I am too good mate.

Hah I said that applies only to Kohli. Remember? I am still right about literally everything I said.

Kohli still only lost pink ball test not red ball. Hehe. I am too good mate.

Bro you very categorically said that the team winning the toss will win the tests. I can dig up the posts. You also told me to “make sure Pakistan wins the toss at NZ, India couldn’t hence they didn’t win”

If the pitches are similar for the Ashes as they have been for the Indian series it gives England a great chance .. If Melbourne replaces Sydney for this series it also gives India a chance but I still think the Aussies will bounce back and win 3-1 .

:facepalm

32 - Years since no Australian batsman scored a fifty in a Test match at home. Incidentally, that was also at the MCG against West Indies. In the last thirty years, away from home, this has happened to Australia only three times.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Australia last 8 Tests at home against India:<br><br>Lost 3<br>Drawn 3<br>Won 2<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AUSvIND?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AUSvIND</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1343873036861272064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 29, 2020</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sydney Cricket Ground confirmed for Vodafone Pink TestCricket Australia has confirmed the Vodafone Pink Test between Australia and India will remain at the Sydney Cricket Ground as scheduled.

The decision to keep the New Year’s Test at its traditional venue was made after several days of meetings that considered the impacts of the recent COVID-19 outbreak on the northern beaches of Sydney.

Nick Hockley, Cricket Australia’s Interim CEO, said that health advice from the NSW Government and collaboration with both the NSW and Queensland Governments had informed today’s decision.

“Despite the many challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic, I am delighted to say Cricket Australia remains on track to deliver the men’s international series as scheduled,” Hockley said.

“We have met regularly over the past week to assess the unfolding public health situation in Sydney and gauge its impact on border restrictions around the country. To date, we have been able to deliver a safe and successful summer thanks to our detailed biosecurity protocols and the amazing work of so many great people behind the scenes.

“To that end, we have made the decision to keep the New Year’s Test at the SCG, which has a wonderful recent history of hosting the Pink Test and Jane McGrath Day on the third day of play.

“We are confident that both this match, and the fourth Test in Brisbane, will play out in a safe and successful manner and thus round out what has been a magnificent men’s international program this summer.

“We are very grateful to the New South Wales and Queensland Governments for their willingness to work with us to deliver the series as planned in a manner that places the safety and wellbeing of the players, officials, staff and the wider community as its top priority.

“In response to the public health situation in NSW and the requirements of the Queensland Government, CA will put in place appropriate biosecurity measures and we thank all players, staff and broadcasters for their cooperation to play the matches safely.

‘We especially thank the BCCI for their continued support of the original schedule, as our respective teams compete in the most enthralling series.

“It must not be forgotten that NSW Government and Sydney Cricket Ground provided exceptional support to bring India’s squad safely into the country and stage the brilliant Dettol ODI and T20I Series to start the men’s international season.

“I would also like to thank the Victorian Government and Melbourne Cricket Club for hosting a wonderful Boxing Day Test, not to mention their support over recent days in providing a strong contingency plan for the third Test, whilst we completed our due diligence.

“This whole summer has been a tremendous team effort and I want to thank our State and Territory Associations, the Australian Cricketers’ Association, our broadcast partners and commercial partners for their ongoing support. I also want to thank our staff for their professionalism, dedication, resilience, adaptability and sheer hard work as they continue to deliver an outstanding summer of cricket despite the unprecedent challenges,” he said.

Glenn McGrath, Co-Founder and President of the McGrath Foundation, said:

“We are thrilled the Vodafone Pink Test will still take place at the SCG. It is the home of the Pink Test and the spirit and support of the crowd at the SCG have become a huge part of the Pink Test atmosphere over the past 12 years.

“In the coming days, we will be announcing our new exciting digital initiative for this year’s Pink Test, which will mean people can get involved, no matter whether they are in the stadium or watching from home.

Kerrie Mather, CEO Venues NSW, said:

“The New Year’s Test is our most important event of the year and the one that is most looked forward to by our loyal fans and members. This is just reward for their considerable sacrifices this year.

“The SCG will work closely with the NSW Government and Cricket Australia to maintain its impeccable record in protecting the safety of players, staff, fans and members.”

Bro you very categorically said that the team winning the toss will win the tests. I can dig up the posts. You also told me to “make sure Pakistan wins the toss at NZ, India couldn’t hence they didn’t win”

NhA. I did say that but I forgot Pakistan isn't that good yet in tests. For India under Kohli toss matters. That's what I said. In red ball. Pink ball is totally different.

My record is still unblemished. Right about almost everything.

I also vouched for the great Faheem Ashraf for balance. Guess what ? He did his job din't he?

Sydney will host 3rd test...confirmed. Looks like another one of your prediction that went wrong

SCG to retain New Year's Test after marathon Cricket Australia crisis talks

The SCG will retain the traditional New Year's Test after marathon talks between Cricket Australia and state governments after Sydney's Northern Beaches COVID-19 outbreak.

Cricket Australia gained approval from the Indian Cricket Board after securing exemptions which will allow the third Test to remain in Sydney and the fourth Test to remain in Brisbane.

Broadcast staff have been given exemptions to cross the border from NSW to Queensland in between Tests, but players will be forced to comply with stricter quarantine regulations.

Interim Cricket Australia CEO, Nick Hockley, said the decision was made after health advice from the NSW government.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/cr...vs-india/60b049cb-ac96-4661-abf6-2b0ca8449579

Sydney will host 3rd test...confirmed. Looks like another one of your prediction that went wrong

He's been saying variations of this for 6 months now. Best ignore him on that topic I think. His general cricket talk is interesting though.

Australian men's Test squad for the remaining two Tests of the Vodafone Test Series against IndiaThe National Selection Panel (NSP) has chosen the following 18-player Australian men’s squad for the remaining two matches of the Vodafone Test Series against India.

Australia

Tim Paine (TAS) (c)
Pat Cummins (NSW) (vc)
Sean Abbott (NSW)
Cameron Green (WA)
Josh Hazlewood (NSW)
Marcus Harris (VIC)
Travis Head (SA)
Moises Henriques (NSW)
Marnus Labuschagne (QLD)
Nathan Lyon (NSW)
Michael Neser (QLD)
James Pattinson (VIC)
Will Pucovski (VIC)
Steve Smith (NSW)
Mitchell Starc (NSW)
Mitchell Swepson (QLD)
Matthew Wade (TAS)
David Warner (NSW)

National selector Trevor Hohns said: “David Warner, Will Pucovski and Sean Abbott will rejoin the squad in Melbourne tomorrow evening in preparation for the Sydney Test.

“David has made strong progress in his recovery from injury and will be given every chance to play in Sydney with another seven days until the match. Sean has fully recovered from a calf strain and is also available for selection.

“Will is in the final stages of the graduated return to play protocols and has been symptom free for some time. He will be fit to play in Sydney subject to completing the return to play protocols and an independent assessment.

“Joe Burns has been released from the squad and will return to the Brisbane Heat. Unfortunately, Joe’s returns haven’t been what he or the selectors would like or what we consider he is capable of.”

Australia will train in Melbourne on January 2 and 3 before moving to Sydney on January 4.

Vodafone Test Series against India:

December 17-21 – First Vodafone Test, Adelaide Oval (d/n)
December 26-30 – Second Vodafone Test, Melbourne Cricket Ground
January 7-11 – Third Vodafone Test, Sydney Cricket Ground
January 15-19 – Fourth Vodafone Test, Brisbane Cricket Ground

Ind vs Aus: Rohit Sharma appointed vice-captain for last two Tests

So mostly Vihari Out I guess.

Ind vs Aus: Rohit Sharma appointed vice-captain for last two Tests

So mostly Vihari Out I guess.

All I wanna say is LOL.. Mumbai lobbying actively working.
Pujara or Ashwin should be vc.
Rohit Sharma vc in OS tests.. Rolf
And not fair to others who played on difficult tracks and leaving their spot to Rohit on flat track.

India have added left-arm fast bowler T Natarajan to their squad for the final two Tests against Australia with seamer Umesh Yadav ruled out through injury.
Yadav will miss the rest of the series with a calf strain he suffered on day three of the second Test.

India squad

Ajinkya Rahane (captain), Rohit Sharma (vice-captain), Mayank Agarwal, Prithvi Shaw, KL Rahul, Cheteshwar Pujara, Hanuma Vihari, Shubman Gill, Wriddhiman Saha (wicketkeeper), Rishabh Pant (wicketkeeper), Jasprit Bumrah, Navdeep Saini, Kuldeep Yadav, Ravindra Jadeja, Ravichandran Ashwin, Mohammed Siraj, Shardul Thakur, T Natarajan

Rohit Sharma has been named as the vice-captain after joining the Indian cricket team in Melbourne as he successfully completed his quarantine period. He replaces Cheteshwar Pujara who was named stand-in captain Ajinkya Rahane's deputy when Virat Kohli left for home following the conclusion of the first Test in Adelaide.

Wish Karthik Tyagi could be picked..

Anyway, would rather have a leftie make it to playing XI, it will bring variety.

Rahane as captain and Rohit as vice captain meaning 2 best minds of Indian cricket will lead the side. Its a welcoming move and something I am looking forward to.

Rahul
Gill
Pujara
Rohit
Rahane
Jadeja
Pant
Ashwin
Saini
Siraj
Bumrah

Rahane as captain and Rohit as vice captain meaning 2 best minds of Indian cricket will lead the side. Its a welcoming move and something I am looking forward to.

Rahul
Gill
Pujara
Rohit
Rahane
Jadeja
Pant
Ashwin
Saini
Siraj
Bumrah

Rahul will not open, Rohit will. Don't think Rahul will get any chance in this series. Also, Mayank might not get another chance again.

And once Kohli is back, Vihari will anyways be dropped so anyways there is no point of bringing KL for two tests in place of him.

TM strategy is simple. Rohit comes in for Mayank, straight swap. Let Vihari play two tests, anyways he will get dropped once Kohli is back. Top 5 will be:-

Rohit
Gill
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane

So, only Gill among these five can be dropped. At 6, you have Pant/Saha and at 7, you have Jadeja/Pandya (Eng/NZ/SA).

There are reports of Thakur replacing Umesh for the 3rd test in XI. If true, ominous signs for Australians.

There are reports of Thakur replacing Umesh for the 3rd test in XI. If true, ominous signs for Australians.

If Shardul plays ahead of Natrajan then we might as well just shake hands at toss and hand victory to Australia. We could avoid another thrashing and heartbreak.

If Shardul plays ahead of Natrajan then we might as well just shake hands at toss and hand victory to Australia. We could avoid another thrashing and heartbreak.
As per team 'think tank', Nattu has played just 1 FC game while Shardul is much more experienced in that regard.

Might as well play Kuldeep instead of playing Thakur in a test that's being played in Australia.

However nothing beats the mighty Vinay Kumar opening our bowling in a WACA test under Dhoni and therein lied the secret of our awful record in away tests under Dhoni.

As per team 'think tank', Nattu has played just 1 FC game while Shardul is much more experienced in that regard.

Might as well play Kuldeep instead of playing Thakur in a test that's being played in Australia.

Shardul will bring back memories of Trundler getting spanked in Australia. All the hard work done by others will be undone by Thakur

Neither Natarajan nor Shardul should play IMO. Saini should be the go to replacement.

Natarajan has been great at T20, but as of now that's his slot. He lacks the pace and the variation for Test cricket.

Shardul? His selection means you have a half batsman and a half bowler, why try and be so safe? This is the old cautious cover all bases but end up covering none mentality.

All in all I'm not saying that Saini will pull up trees. But he has pace, he's your replacement pacer and he's been with this team for a year. He's been groomed for a Test slot. If you can't use him now, then when? I have nothing against Shardul Thakur, but this Indian team is past the stage when we need Roger Binnys.

Rahul
Gill
Pujara
Rohit
Rahane
Jadeja
Pant
Ashwin
Saini
Siraj
Bumrah

I'd still play Vihari in place of Pujara. They've both been ineffective but Vihari is more likely to click among these two. Also, why bring in Rahul? They should persist with Agarwal.

Rohit became VC???? Hopefully now sunny talks abt discrimination against Ashwin

I think we should just go for Saini.. Nattu can’t bowl so many spells and Shradul is Shradul

Shardul in tests is too much. Let him represent India in T20s only. Warner is making a comeback and we are going to feed Shardul to him. :inti

Coach Captain Vice Captain all from Mumbai. Shardul Thakur is confirmed.

Its a travesty that Thakur will play ahead of Saini. Thakur doesn't deserve to be in India D team, let alone the test team.

Coach Captain Vice Captain all from Mumbai. Shardul Thakur is confirmed.

Its a travesty that Thakur will play ahead of Saini. Thakur doesn't deserve to be in India D team, let alone the test team.

If Warner plays and is in some sort of form then he could do to Shardul Thakur; what he did to Vinay Kumar in 2011

Didn’t know Shardul plays for Mumbai. He averages 44 in ODIs and has an economy of 9 in T20Is. Would be a horrible pick.

He has played over 20. Nattu and averages less than Saini in tests however Saini is more experienced and is in form in terms of red ball. Saini should be picked.

Who would you have had in the squad instead of Saini? Was surprised to see Thakur selected.

Saini is still there in the squad. Umesh is injured. I would rather give Natarajan his dream debut. Will add a variety to our bowling attack. :inti

Now i understand why Agarkar was not picked as selector. If he was picked he would have been the chairman by virtue of seniority.

Thereby the coach captain VC Chairman of selectors all would be Mumbai wala. It was balanced out by appointment of the chairman from the North.

Back