India vs England | 1st Test | Ahmedabad | 18/11/12 | Day 5

I think Oval test went into 5th day as well with Mishra outscoring the entire middle order :))

Not a lot of people talking about Compton. I think he will do very well but hasnt got a lot of time left.

Seems to be a quickly learner, and very calm, in the cook/trott mold.

Mumbai and Kol will be more bowler friendly wickets.....but in all this cheer over the victory we mustnt forget that England too have positives....

1. Swann will always be effective
2. Apart from the 1st session on Day 1, Anderson wasnt really innocuous. He wasnt taking wickets, but he was making things difficult for the Indians.
3. Cook and Prior, have been the 2nd and 3rd best batsman in this match. I will keep Sehwag as the 4th because he was batting when the pitch was best and you can never really rely on him. Who does India have? India's batting stops at Yuvraj. 5 bunnies with the bat follow him, except Ashwin who can be relied to serve up around 30 odd runs. Remember India scored @2.5ish after Sehwag.

So, people talking about whitewashes, I hope you eventually turn out to be right, but please do not tempt fate too much. Remember, England scored 406 on a 3rd and 4th day pitch and this was the first test. They will learn from this. This is not like in the UAE where they just about managed 200s.

getting over 300 in 2nd innings at Mumbai is impossible if you collapse in 1st innings. also applies to India.
Dhoni is not a bunny, not in India.
I agree with the rest. England got most of their runs off 2 batters in both innings (same batters got runs in UAE as well).which is why the question marks over the midle order remain.
India - Gambhir ,SRT and Kohli obviously have to do better.

Well played India. Good job done.

As for England, Respect to Cookie and Prior, who managed to drag the match into the 5th day, after following on.

The only positves out of this match were Cook and Prior.

Talk about playing the situation.

4th Day play should be a lesson for budding Test players.

Ashwin 1-111 in the frickin second innings in India :))

Indian fans reckon he is better than Swann, as good as Ajmal etc LOL.

They even think his carrom ball is as good as Ajmal's doosra. That's the biggest joke.

Not saying he's better than Swann and Ajmal, but to ridicule him for this one bad performance is pretty absurd.
Going by the same sample the world's greatest pace attack got outbowled by Yadav, who is barely a regular player

Not saying he's better than Swann and Ajmal, but to ridicule him for this one bad performance is pretty absurd.
Going by the same sample the world's greatest pace attack got outbowled by Yadav, who is barely a regular player

Or how the world's best batsman (as per a lot of English fans) couldn't manage to reach double figures in the match:KP

Read in an interview about cook lauding the fighting spirit of his team. Fighting spirit of Shahid Bell? Or Praveen Bresnan? Or vinay Broad?

Cook Prior and swann were the only ones who got away with dignity intact.

Deserved win for India.

England need to get their team selection sorted, work out ways to play Ojha, and how to get Pujara out. Winning the toss would help, too.

The seamers were very poor in Ahmedabad compared with their Indian counterparts. They looked completely devoid of ideas, but I reckon they'll get a bit more help from the atmospheric conditions in Mumbai. Probably not the pitch though.

Cook Prior and swann were the only ones who got away with dignity intact.

Well, at least that's something to work with. I would add Compton to that list too, involved in a big 1st wicket partnership in the 2nd innings.

Time will tell whether their performances were one off.

If Indians had brains Ojha would play every match against Pak in every format. lol.
Ojha won India a test in SL, outbowled Harby in both tests he has played vs Aus, for your information. (considering you will obviously look down performances against WI and NZ , not your fault though)
Not ONCE was Ojha dropped for performance, it was always due to the leggie Mishra or Yuvraj/Jadeja in ODIs.
to call Ojha's performance one off is unfair.
It might be more valid for Pujara.

It is a shame Ojha can't bat, will be ahead of all Indian spinners overseas for the control he provides. It is called 'holding job' in cricket , which spinners do on unresponsive tracks.

:yahoo:
Great victory! Although a bit delayed by Prior and Cook who denied us an innings victory. Win is still a win and we are 1-0 up in the series and thats what matters.

Pakistan whitewashed England.
Feel sorry for them after beating England 4-0.:ajmal

Why feel sorry for even 4-0 hypothetical score? What Pakistan got to do with this?

I don't think India will win 4-0 against any team because most pitches are not rank turners. You just need one huge total from opposition to either win the game or at least draw.

Back