Indonesian TikTok star jailed after saying Islamic prayer before eating pork in viral video.

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
A woman in Indonesia has been jailed on blasphemy charges after posting a video on TikTok in which she says a prayer that translates to "in the name of God" before eating a piece of crispy pork skin.

Lutfiawati, who identifies as Muslim, was convicted of inciting religious hatred and was also ordered to pay a fine of 250 million rupiah (£13,217).

After going on trial on blasphemy charges, she expressed regret and apologised in a post on her social media.

She apologised again after Tuesday's verdict: "I am surprised. I have apologised many times. Actually, I know that I was wrong, but I did not expect the sentence to be two years."

Indonesia is the largest Muslim-majority country in the world and consuming pork is considered haram, or forbidden, in Islam.

Critics have said Indonesia's strict blasphemy laws have been used to erode a long-standing reputation for tolerance and diversity in the country.

Usman Hamid, the executive director of Amnesty International Indonesia, said what happened to Lutfiawati was "not surprising", despite government promises to protect freedom of expression.

He said the law had also been abused to target minority groups and dissenters.

Jakarta governor Basuki Tjahaja Purnama, a Christian, was imprisoned for two years in 2017 after being found guilty of blasphemy for quoting a verse from the Koran during a campaign speech.

In 2018, an Indonesian court sentenced an ethnic Chinese woman who complained about a noisy mosque to 18 months in prison for blasphemy.

a little overreaction I think . Maybe a fine or warning even that is in the grey area for me. We consider pork Haram we are not offended by it .

issue is not with her eating pork skin, cause its available in Indonesia. Issue is saying a praying and than eating it. Why incite people like that?

Anyways, jail term should be there but should had been 6 months top.

issue is not with her eating pork skin, cause its available in Indonesia. Issue is saying a praying and than eating it. Why incite people like that?

Anyways, jail term should be there but should had been 6 months top.
I would add a few lashes too.

Trying to creating controversy for the sake of followers.

Religión. Gift that keeps on giving. Stupid girl and stupid judgement.

Religión. Gift that keeps on giving. Stupid girl and stupid judgement.
Yes, I’m sure the atheist communist governments of modern day China, North Korea, or Mao Zedong and Stalin definitely were / are the champions of justice…

Yes , but they are not champions of justice because of atheism. There is no atheism doctrine that makes you act like that. Religion yes. See the big difference

Yes , but they are not champions of justice because of atheism. There is no atheism doctrine that makes you act like that. Religion yes. See the big difference
And that is precisely the issue, when you haven’t realized there is a Creator, then who decides what is ethical, unethical, wrong from right and therefore what laws are put in place for society to function?

Once you realize there is a Creator who created everything, then you will realize that he also created laws and regulations for society to function, all the way from Prophet Adam PBUH to all the prophets after him and ending with Prophet Mohammad PBUH.

Ofc, being human, we are susceptible to faltering. We may not be able to fully implement the laws ordained upon us by our Creator as they should be due to human limitations, such as a lack of knowledge for Eg as we see in certain Muslim countries by uneducated politicians. That is human limitation.

But God is perfect, and so we do our best to follow what he has ordained to be lawful and unlawful.

P.S. I can’t speak for all religions, I’m speaking about Islam as a Muslim.

If I was alive in the time of Musa (Moses) PBUH, then I would follow the laws of that time. If I was alive at the time of Isa (Jesus) PBUH, then I would follow the laws of that time, etc.

^ also, wanted to add regarding human limitation:

those who misconstrue or misrepresent the laws of God are also held accountable by Him. Nothing goes unaccounted for. This is regarding the part where I mention politicians in Muslim majority countries who may be willingly malicious.

And that is precisely the issue, when you haven’t realized there is a Creator, then who decides what is ethical, unethical, wrong from right and therefore what laws are put in place for society to function?

Once you realize there is a Creator who created everything, then you will realize that he also created laws and regulations for society to function, all the way from Prophet Adam PBUH to all the prophets after him and ending with Prophet Mohammad PBUH.

Ofc, being human, we are susceptible to faltering. We may not be able to fully implement the laws ordained upon us by our Creator as they should be due to human limitations, such as a lack of knowledge for Eg as we see in certain Muslim countries by uneducated politicians. That is human limitation.

But God is perfect, and so we do our best to follow what he has ordained to be lawful and unlawful.

If I was alive in the time of Musa (Moses) PBUH, then I would follow the laws of that time. If I was alive at the time of Isa (Jesus) PBUH, then I would follow the laws of that time, etc.
Sorry don’t agree at all. I would prefer to live in secular societies and not religious societies governed by “ your creators” laws.

She should have tried wearing a swastika in the west and seen how far she would have got.

Every country has restrictions and laws, no such thing as freedom of speech or expression anywhere.

She should have tried wearing a swastika in the west and seen how far she would have got.

Every country has restrictions and laws, no such thing as freedom of speech or expression anywhere.

She wouldn't be arrested if she wore a swastika in the west.

Stupid person. Obsessed with gaining more followers and clicks has resulted in her breaking the law of the land and spending time behind bars. Its a shame she wont have Tik Tok inside.
Do you see anything wrong with the law?

Pretty rich of you for a lot of assumptions you have made. First you have made the assumption that there is God and then you are assuming that it is Abrahamic God(lot of dispute among themselves). Then you assume that the laws of the Abrahamic God are the best.
Good on you.

She wouldn't be arrested if she wore a swastika in the west.
Point still stands - she would have still been punished, whether it is jail, fine or whatever - up to the country.

Indonesia has a more strong response for such an act, which they are entitled to do.

Sorry don’t agree at all. I would prefer to live in secular societies and not religious societies governed by “ your creators” laws.
Be it religious or secular, both society has man made laws to punish anyone who speak their mind, depending on the society and culture.

She had to follow the law, just like women are being forced to follow the law in France, a secular country.

Be it religious or secular, both society has man made laws to punish anyone who speak their mind, depending on the society and culture.

She had to follow the law, just like women are being forced to follow the law in France, a secular country.
And I agree with both countries laws. Both laws are beyond stupid

Do you see anything wrong with the law?

The sentence may be harsh but I agree with the law itself. Imagine in India thousands every day abused Hindu Gods on Tik Tok, they would get lynched in public. Having a law helps everyone.

Back