Is UAE cricket board being harsh?

Major

T20I Star
Runs
Post of the Week
UAE cricket has been taking cricketers from other countries, not giving them nationality, and if that cricketer decides to go back to represent his other country, they are banning such players.

One such example is Usman Khan, who is a Pakistani, and went to play in UAE and got a contract but was never gonna be given any nationality of UAE even if he represented them. But after he made himself available for Pakistan team, UAE gave him a 5 year ban from participating in UAE cricket.

Now, Pakistan has large number of players that they develop from U-19 days and domestic cricket, yet those cricketers go on to play for other countries. Guys like Imran Tahir, Kaleemullah, and many other players that teams like UAE, USA and Hong Kong have benefitted from.

There are now reports from sports journalist that UAE will not be trusting Pakistani based cricketers to represent them after the whole Usman Khan issue. There are some rumors that Malik was lining up to play in UAE as local aswell, but that is now off the table.

UAE cant produce a local native cricketer, its team is filled with non nationals, and yet they are giving out bans like this now? Arnt they being harsh?

Uae doesnt give nationalities to anyone.

Other countries do in the first place.

So nationality is out of question.

Regarding ban, I guess UAE wants cricketers to either commit or not and dont want home nations to steal them.

I dont think thats an unusal take.

Tad harsh?

Maybe.

But Emirates Cricket Board looking after itself.

No, it is completely understandable. They need to protect their assets if they are providing opportunities to discarded/unknown cricketers from poor countries. No one forces these players to go and play there.

Yes it’s Harsh but understandable

They invested time and money in a player in the hope for that player to eventually represent them. The player used their plating facilities, coaching, medical facilities in order to enhance or maintain his skill as a player. This time and money would be better spent on a player who actually would represent them and improve their national side. Hence, they are totally justified to hand out any punishment that is within their legal domain to do so.

Yes. They are being little too harsh. They got a almost readymade player for free.

And now he has a chance play at the highest level and represent his real country, they are throwing a tantrum.

Yes. They are being little too harsh. They got a almost readymade player for free.

And now he has a chance play at the highest level and represent his real country, they are throwing a tantrum.
He wasn’t ready made

He had the heart of a player but his technique, style was a bit all over the place. Originally, my first impression of him was that he is a Jungli cricketer and is thinking too highly of himself when demanding a position in the Pakistan team.

He went away, improved a lot and was actually the best overseas player in the PSL after Rassie Van Der Dussen. He’s clearly returned as a much better player from wherever he honed and improved himself.

No Pakistani player is readymade. Name me at least one who was made by our domestic cricket. Look at Babar, khila khila kay player banaya hai Sarfraz or Mickey nay.

No Pakistani player is readymade. Name me at least one who was made by our domestic cricket. Look at Babar, khila khila kay player banaya hai Sarfraz or Mickey nay.
He still isn’t what you would want him to be.

He still isn’t what you would want him to be.
By Pakistani batting standards, he is doing good. By Indian batting standards and his fan club's obsession with portraying him to be better than Kohli is where he starts to get all the criticism and galiyan from both countries.

First tell me which criket board will allow its player to play for 2 different countries?

PCB kicks a fuss with NOC's and here we are talking about playing for 2 different countries

If uae plays pakistan which team will usman Khan play for?

Uae is a harsh country, but I don't get why this thread is made?

Their rules have stayed consistent since the 2000's.

It's not like they singled usman khan out.

These Arab countries have always been like this. Each country has their own rules that you gotta abide by, Usman Khan 100% broke a rule knowing full well what the rules were

UAE cricket has been taking cricketers from other countries, not giving them nationality, and if that cricketer decides to go back to represent his other country, they are banning such players.

One such example is Usman Khan, who is a Pakistani, and went to play in UAE and got a contract but was never gonna be given any nationality of UAE even if he represented them. But after he made himself available for Pakistan team, UAE gave him a 5 year ban from participating in UAE cricket.

Now, Pakistan has large number of players that they develop from U-19 days and domestic cricket, yet those cricketers go on to play for other countries. Guys like Imran Tahir, Kaleemullah, and many other players that teams like UAE, USA and Hong Kong have benefitted from.

There are now reports from sports journalist that UAE will not be trusting Pakistani based cricketers to represent them after the whole Usman Khan issue. There are some rumors that Malik was lining up to play in UAE as local aswell, but that is now off the table.

UAE cant produce a local native cricketer, its team is filled with non nationals, and yet they are giving out bans like this now? Arnt they being harsh?
Usman can't have his cake and eat it too. When you break a contract. It's not only just a a paper but a contract of trust.

Even a lifetime ban would've been right from UAE. The degree of punishment doesn't matter. That's for UAE to set and deal with. They have their terms and conditions. You either agree with them or you don't.

First tell me which criket board will allow its player to play for 2 different countries?

PCB kicks a fuss with NOC's and here we are talking about playing for 2 different countries

If uae plays pakistan which team will usman Khan play for?
Tbf to @Major UAE has always been harsh.

Don't get me wrong if someone like Imran tahir did this, SA would have banned him for life, Same with any Australia board

But

UAE country wise is harsh, they don't give nationalities, just golden visas max. Heck to get an Emirati passport you gotta live in the country for 30 years straight without ever leaving or travelling out as well has holding a job which for someone overseas is downright impossible.

30 years without leaving or travelling is too much.

But yeah in cricketing terms, no country would allow dual nationality. Usman Khan made his choice. Let's hope pcb is kind.

Tbf to @Major UAE has always been harsh.

Don't get me wrong if someone like Imran tahir did this, SA would have banned him for life, Same with any Australia board

But

UAE country wise is harsh, they don't give nationalities, just golden visas max. Heck to get an Emirati passport you gotta live in the country for 30 years straight without ever leaving or travelling out as well has holding a job which for someone overseas is downright impossible.

30 years without leaving or travelling is too much.

But yeah in cricketing terms, no country would allow dual nationality. Usman Khan made his choice. Let's hope pcb is kind.
I think it's same in most middle East countries
In some countries your not even allowed to but your own property don't think its a cricket related decision

Guys why bot look at it from the other angle.

Pakistan invests in alot of these u19 guys and domestic guys, and loses them to uae, hong kong, usa, oman, bahrain and other countries. But pakistan never placed a ban.

Infact, most of these teams are created due to our players.

So if we are not banning, why should others be banning them? So should pakistan also start banning?

Uae doesnt give nationalities to anyone.

Other countries do in the first place.

So nationality is out of question.

Regarding ban, I guess UAE wants cricketers to either commit or not and dont want home nations to steal them.

I dont think thats an unusal take.

Tad harsh?

Maybe.

But Emirates Cricket Board looking after itself.
I know they dont give nationality.

So this makes you question, another nation thinks you are good enough to represent them but not good enough to be their national

Didn't some mediocre Pakistani leg spinner try this with Australia?
Usman qadir, but no one banned him because he had the free choice to play from where he wants.

This is why i find UAE to be very ridiculous. Like not even nationality is being provided and they are acting as if they own you

Yes it’s Harsh but understandable

They invested time and money in a player in the hope for that player to eventually represent them. The player used their plating facilities, coaching, medical facilities in order to enhance or maintain his skill as a player. This time and money would be better spent on a player who actually would represent them and improve their national side. Hence, they are totally justified to hand out any punishment that is within their legal domain to do so.
So should pakistan had punished kaleem sana, imran tahir, and every cricketer that left our domestic scenes for international abroad?

Infact, when a player announces retirement from pakistan to play abroad, than should pcb had banned those players?

I know they dont give nationality.

So this makes you question, another nation thinks you are good enough to represent them but not good enough to be their national
I might be wrong but I heard some Arab countries have given citizenship to some African origin soccer players. I know they don’t give citizenship except on ethnic lines but made an exception. Maybe cricket is not viewed at the same level yet.

Will be really interesting to get the long list of Pak under 19 and domestic cricket players who have defected to uae, hong kong, usa, oman, bahrain and other countries and setting the cricket field on fire... :inti

They should have wished him well. They would have benefited by having a Pakistani. I am sure their board is run by Indians.

Countries like UAE should be banned from international cricket until they can field 9 ethnically native players.

I might be wrong but I heard some Arab countries have given citizenship to some African origin soccer players. I know they don’t give citizenship except on ethnic lines but made an exception. Maybe cricket is not viewed at the same level yet.
Yeah I think Fifa is quite strict on citizenship/nationality compared to ICC.

So should pakistan had punished kaleem sana, imran tahir, and every cricketer that left our domestic scenes for international abroad?

Infact, when a player announces retirement from pakistan to play abroad, than should pcb had banned those players?
No it’s two different scenarios

When a player retires and commits to a new country, in order to get their nationality and represent them..and if the new country is investing in that player in the hope for that player to eventually represent them…it’s a totally different scenario.

What was Pakistan’s investment in Imran Tahir once he had switched his nationality to SA? Pakistan lost a player, that’s it. It was South Africa who started to invest in him in order to fill the void of a competitive international quality spinner which they were lacking. Had Imran Tahir abandoned them just before being eligible to play for them, SA would also look for some kind of compensation or try and punish him in any legal way possible.

No it’s two different scenarios

When a player retires and commits to a new country, in order to get their nationality and represent them..and if the new country is investing in that player in the hope for that player to eventually represent them…it’s a totally different scenario.

What was Pakistan’s investment in Imran Tahir once he had switched his nationality to SA? Pakistan lost a player, that’s it. It was South Africa who started to invest in him in order to fill the void of a competitive international quality spinner which they were lacking. Had Imran Tahir abandoned them just before being eligible to play for them, SA would also look for some kind of compensation or try and punish him in any legal way possible.
Imran Tahir was playing in Pakistan u19 and Pakistan A. Any other spinner could had been selected, but he took there spot. He was assigned coaches and resources early on and PCB spent its own money on young player.

Kaleem Sana aswell took an u19 spot and was invested by the coaches.

The only difference here is that Associates have little options of players while test playing nations have large options.

Also UAE does not give nationality due to their racist policies

Yeah I think Fifa is quite strict on citizenship/nationality compared to ICC.
This is good. It makes no sense that a person who is not even your national is representing you nationally. ICC should follow FIFA in this regard.

yeah i think its a bit too harsh... A player who is not in your national team and is not centrally contracted should not be handed a 5-year ban if he wants to pursue his career where he feels safe.

Usman had a contract with UAE and he chose to violate that contract and eventually USA board banned him. I think there is nothing wrong here with what the board did. It was Usman's choice to choose Pakistan and it was UAE board's choice to ban a guy who violated a contract. Simple.

How is UAE even allowed to play players that are not even its nationals??

This is good. It makes no sense that a person who is not even your national is representing you nationally. ICC should follow FIFA in this regard.
ICC is spineless, pathetic and a sell out organizational body.

How is UAE even allowed to play players that are not even its nationals??
The International Cricket Council (ICC) has set eligibility rules that permit the cricket team of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to include players who aren’t UAE nationals. As per these rules, any player who has resided in the UAE for a period exceeding seven years is eligible to represent the country. Furthermore, the UAE team is also allowed to select an additional two players who have lived in the UAE for over four years.

If Usman wants to play for Pakistan that's ok. But then he cannot keep the UAE option open as well.

Two boats and all.

Usman had left the PSL midway in order to discuss and talk to the Emirates Cricket authorities about this issue, he was not treated well and was spoken to very rudely, coldly and he had to still wait for another year and a half before he was going to be eligible to play for UAE.

He thought the opportunity to play for Pakistan was too good to miss out on and the upside for carving out a successful international T20 and ODI career with Pakistan would open more doors for him vs playing for UAE.

If Usman wants to play for Pakistan that's ok. But then he cannot keep the UAE option open as well.

Two boats and all.
no one is saying he should keep UAE option, infact its not even possible since ICC rules are that you need to play and live in one country for x amount after leaving another country to be able to represent them.

The discussion is about the ban that makes no sense

Yes they are not. Contract terms were violated so ban is understandable
Imad/Amir took retirements to play other leagues and are still back for Pakistan. Should they had been banned like this than?

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has set eligibility rules that permit the cricket team of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to include players who aren’t UAE nationals. As per these rules, any player who has resided in the UAE for a period exceeding seven years is eligible to represent the country. Furthermore, the UAE team is also allowed to select an additional two players who have lived in the UAE for over four years.
Ridiculous, another feather in the cap for spineless ICC.

Back