Is Wahab Riaz a bad bowler?

he will get dropped and will be recalled after 5-6 months. hehe. This is Pakistans cricket.
Not only this one but also watch his 2nd last performance, its even more rubbish.

Wahab Riaz's lastest Tweet On His Twitter Account

"Guys if ur nt happy wid me. U hate me u cn critcze me ! Bt dnt shw ur vulgrity words abt family . Thts nt da way ."

Wahab Riaz @wahabviki

found this on a facebook page

if its true its disgusting. jaahil people

attacking family, lineage, etc. is inexcusable. i dont think the people will have the cojones to tell him to his face.

People in sub-continent take cricket way too seriously. At the end its a sport and attacking family members of sports person is pathetic to say the least, no one goes out to lose there, fans can be dejected but should be in limits as well.

take it easy guys . Am surprised no one has brought up the due factor in the second innings .

Wasnt easy to grip the ball , if you notice there have been atleast 15-20 full tosses bowled in each innings of this asia cup . For some one like Gul & Wahab who rely a lot on their yorkers it would have made a lot of difference .

Needs to go back to domestic, has an awful erratic line all over the place. No-balls are a crime in ODIs but I suppose the odd one can be overlooked. But his line has been awful for a while now, back to basics.

The man had no idea what the heck he was doing today.

I had some hopes from him but after watching him today ... :facepalm:

Take nothing away from Kohli, but those 3 overs from Wahab in his first spell was some of the worst bowling I have seen at international level, but hopefully he comes back stronger from this although I doubt he will play the final and I doubt he will be selected in future squads for the next couple of tours after Whatmore has seen this kind of performance

take it easy guys . Am surprised no one has brought up the due factor in the second innings .

Wasnt easy to grip the ball , if you notice there have been atleast 15-20 full tosses bowled in each innings of this asia cup . For some one like Gul & Wahab who rely a lot on their yorkers it would have made a lot of difference .

It's consistent with India's loss to Bangladesh where Indian bowlers dished out full tosses like Mithai on Diwali.
Its a given in subcontinent conditions for dew from Jan-Mar during evenings. Nobody talked about it 2 days ago, nobody did today.

Wahab bowled poor today no doubt. But he was coming into a pressure match with hardly any recent cricket behind him. Although 4 overs for 50 runs is inexcusable, I still back Riaz to play next match and again.

Poor figures. I was at work, so can't comment really. I was disappointed.

However, the guy has barely played since May 2011 for Pakistan!!

Give the guy a run for God's sake. Remember in the World Cup he was ordinary v Aus and WI then fired v India.

Pick him for the final I say! Seriously.

Thank god for the hard work with Sarfraz, just imagine what it would be like if the hours of hard hadn`t been put in!

Really upsetting. I was expecting a virtuoso performance from Wahab, a bowler who excites me.

He should play the final, give the guy confidence. Show him that we have faith. He will deliver.

Wahab was bad but wasn't that bad before the help he got from Sarfaraz nawaz. Keep him away from sarfaraz nawaz , let him bowl the way he does. He is not that bad, he can bowl yorkers and has a good short ball. Today , he bowled a lot on leg side , short stuff , wides and no-balls. I would not call for his head just yet.

No one can improve :umarakmal:wahab . Both are just awfull cricketers. I liked what Dhoni said in his post match interview bat Kohli. He said a player can learn from seniors much, but playing in match situations and adjusting according to the match is key for a young player to improve his game.

I know he was the major part of the loss today , but the other quicks weren't goot either going over 7 an over. Take away his 4 overs , India would still be needing only 50 in last 6.1 overs which is a cakewalk. the wicketkeeper decision was a major one , pakistan got under pressure at the start of the innings when there were too many extras on offer.

The WK didn`t prove costly as Sarfraz is only marginally better but who could have imagined that Wahab would be so poor. I certainly thought it was good decision to play him as he bowled well in the WC against them. Just look at it from the point of view of the selectors if they hadn`t picked Wahab and lost. Everybody would have complained that the guy that scared the Indians was not playing.

horrible bowling .

the guy is useless if their is no reverse on offer , lacks control and the ability to move the new ball , the two new ball rule should be the final nail in his coffin , and his habbit of bowling no balls at crucial moments is just :facepalm.

We need to get some new bowlers in to the team, Cheema and Riaz should be dropped............

Really thought Wahab will be our next Indian basher when it comes to bowling. Am disappointed.

It's been a while since any of our bowlers have performed spectacularly against India.

What did we expect from a man who has been warming the bench since his MoM performance in the Mohali Semi Final?

To come back and get us another 5er?

To get his line and length right from ball one? Especially when he's played little to no other cricket since he's been with the Squad all this time.

Goes to show our unrealistic expectations.

Cheema is the bigger culprit here. Wahab should have been playing ahead of him in every game since Mohali.

That said - he was very poor yesterday.

Last edited:
What did we expect from a man who has been warming the bench since his MoM performance in the Mohali Semi Final?

To get his line and length right from ball one? Especially when he's played little to no other cricket since he's been with the Squad all this time.

Cheema is the bigger culprit here. Wahab should have been playing ahead of him in every game since Mohali.

From a professional cricketer the expectations to bowl right line and length even after not playing a few games are not unrealisitc. So when he was not playing a game, he wasnt playing Guli dada either, he was in nets and bowling many overs a day. When you are cra p, no matter how many overs you bowl every day, you shall remain cra p forever

He's always straying all over the place. Need consistency and control from him. Other than that he already got good pace, swing and some seam movement.

From a professional cricketer the expectations to bowl right line and length even after not playing a few games are not unrealisitc. So when he was not playing a game, he wasnt playing Guli dada either, he was in nets and bowling many overs a day. When you are cra p, no matter how many overs you bowl every day, you shall remain cra p forever

I admit he played as badly as he could yesterday.

But these ad-hoc appearances do not help.

Bowling in the nets vs bowling against a quality batting line-up in a match situation are completely different.

you can't take an inform bowler, make him sit out for 10 games and bring him back in a pressure game and expect him to do well.

exactly.
Anyone can have a bad day & it wasn't just Wahab that bowled badly or conceded alot of runs. I didn't watch his opening spell but even after seeing his figures felt that he should be brought back on. Imo he shouldn't have been brought back so late in the innings especially since Pak needed a breakthrough earlier already. When he came on for his 2nd spell he bowled some very good balls which were put away, can't blame him. Also Pakistan fielders are very lathargic & easily give up trying to stop boundaries, other teams give it their all which can damage a bowlers figures even more & also his confidence. Pak shouldn't just drop Wahab after this performance as it wasn't an easy track to bowl on either. If you as a bowler bowl a yorker & is smashed for 4, your ball is made to look like a rubbish ball, what would that do to your confidence? I also felt that Wahab should play against India but yeah he didn't have any match practice for a long time. It's not nice to just start bashing players after a bad performance as the tune would've been very different if he had performed, well wasn,t meant to be & had he not played that would've been the main reason for Pak losing. It's also obvious that India targeted him because of his stand-out performance against them in the wc semi final, that' what teams do if some1 does well against them, they try to break his confidence. InshaAllah he comes back strongly in the future.

well said. I liked riaz in sf. He isn't as bad as he was yesterday.

Wahab Riaz hasnt been benched since Mohali, I remember playing him a gain against England where he got pretty much the same treatment he got yesterday. I suppose he shouldnt have been selected to begin with.

Five overs for fifty runs is not acceptable from a Pakistan bowler against India.

India must have thought this is Christmas

Some of the tweets directed at Wahab were truly disgusting. NO one should be subjected to such abuse and especially coming from Muslims !

Trinnn trinnn...
trinn trinnn..
wahab Riaz : Hello..
Malinga : same pinch..

came across this :)) :)) :))

It's hard to justify the short of length leg side tripe he was serving up yesterday. He's been out of action, I agree, but thats not how professionals deal with it. So he hadn't played for a few months ... he's been playing all his bloody life!!! No excuse ... absolute horsemanure!

Wahab Riaz's career over?

Is Wahab Riaz's career over?.....I mean the way he was thrashed by Indian batsmen yesterday....it seems that he has forgot how to bowl...he looked clueless yesterday like all other bowlers but he was very expensive....future looking very dark for Wahab

Seriously, how many matches did he play before this? If his career is over then its like selection panel playing a dirty joke with his career.

He was off colours yesterday and was not learning from his mistakes but I think he is talented enough to make a come back. May be go back to domestic circuit, show what he is capable of and then come back!

what has happened to wahab, line all over the place, little discipline, his decline as a bowler is alarming.

100%.

Some people are totally deluded making comments about his career!

never learns from his mistake thats whats shocking. He is the bowling version of Shahid Afridi's batting: When it clicks he is magnificent only problem is he clicks less than afridi

His action does not permit in swing. Without that in swinger he will not be potent in the LR. He has to get rid of his stubbornness and needs to consider an action change.

Wow Wahab Riaz just got the similar treatment against Karachi that he got against India :s

this happened to gul in mohali yet there was not much criticism of him which shows the fans double standards!!!!!!

this happened to gul in mohali yet there was not much criticism of him which shows the fans double standards!!!!!!

I'll explain it to you.

Riaz is awful.

Gul is average.

Neither are good enough for Pakistan.

But theres plenty of bowlers better then Riaz.

Yet theres no one better then Gul, which is saying something.

Most sane Pakistani fans would want Gul out, especially of the test team. But they also know, he's the best we have now.

No double standards, just a bit of sanity.

I'll explain it to you.

Riaz is awful.

Gul is average.

Neither are good enough for Pakistan.

But theres plenty of bowlers better then Riaz.

Yet theres no one better then Gul, which is saying something.

Most sane Pakistani fans would want Gul out, especially of the test team. But they also know, he's the best we have now.

No double standards, just a bit of sanity.

sanity? Gul averaged 22 vs england this year in tests, and also under 25 vs sri lanka last year. In his last two series vs good test teams, he is averaging under 25 and you want him kicked out of the test team. What is he doing in tests thats so horrible?

sanity? Gul averaged 22 vs england this year in tests, and also under 25 vs sri lanka last year. In his last two series vs good test teams, he is averaging under 25 and you want him kicked out of the test team. What is he doing in tests thats so horrible?

An average of 33.4 and a strike rate of 57.4 as his career average discounting Bangladesh/Zimbabwe.

An average of close to 60 against South Africa, the best team of recent times.

...and you mention his last 4 series. Well, he's only taken 25 wickets, in the 2011/12 season.

His average is good because he bowls about 10 overs an innings, while Ajmal/Rehman/Hafeez do all the work.

Its a facade, and you should try to overlook it instead of falling for it.

Last edited:
And to further add to that, he seems to be picking up tailenders after the spinners do the work:

11th position: 3 times
10th position: 3 times
9th position: 6 times
8th position: 3 times

An average of 33.4 and a strike rate of 57.4 as his career average discounting Bangladesh/Zimbabwe.

An average of close to 60 against South Africa, the best team of recent times.

...and you mention his last 4 series. Well, he's only taken 25 wickets, in the 2011/12 season.

His average is good because he bowls about 10 overs an innings, while Ajmal/Rehman/Hafeez do all the work.

Its a facade, and you should try to overlook it instead of falling for it.
it is not a facade, his average of 33 is because he was poor early in his carreer, he averaged 25 last year. That is more relevant than his career average. And Gul is easily a more valuable bowler than either rehman or hafeez

"only taken 25 wickets", so what? how many matches did he play, how many overs did he get in those matches?

and he doesn't bowl 10 overs an innings, last year (jan-dec 2011), he bowled 287 overs in 8 tests, which is about 18 overs an innings. Only in the recent series vs england did he bowl about 12 overs an innings but thats hardly his fault since the spinners were so dominant. And he did provide important early breakthroughs vs england as well.

Last edited:
and he doesn't bowl 10 overs an innings, last year (jan-dec 2011), he bowled 287 overs in 8 tests, which is about 18 overs an innings. Only in the recent series vs england did he bowl about 12 overs an innings but thats hardly his fault since the spinners were so dominant. And he did provide important early breakthroughs vs england as well.

You ever read through your own posts, and mine at the same time?

You'll notice a pattern. I talk in facts, you talk in opinions.

Gul has almost half his wickets in the last 4 series of low tail-enders. 8-11. You didn't even try to argue this point. Ignoring it doesn't mean i'll ignore it too.

You ignored his average against SA.

You say he's a better player now, but we're concentrating on about 25 wickets which is a fraction of his career.

Ever thought this was the purple patch, and the rest was the norm? Its also a pretty bad purple patch, when it primarily consists of tailenders from NZ and SL.

I proved Gul is an average bowler. So I have no desire to continue arguing with you. Its not like I want him out of the team. Theres no one better. You can argue until you are blue in the fact that Gul is better then average.

Hardly anyone on a Pakistani forum agree with you. That should tell you everything.

Blitz I agree with you on umar gul. But then again you got to give chances to sadaf hussain, mohammed talha, bilawal bhatti and zia ul haq. These guys can't do worse than our current seamers.

first game since Mohali? nah. He played full series against WI and also had a couple of games against England, so that argument is invalid. Yes he was dumped for a considerable period due to his alleged involvement in spot-fixing but thats that. Its not as if he was bared from practicing or domestic competitions.

wahab.jpg

After the series against WI he was "rested" for a very long while. So in a way he was lacking match practice. But still it is no excuse for the way he bowled against India.

Thank you mr 12cavalry.

People need to wake up. No ODIs for 9 months.

Rusty is understandable, but even then, it's not as if he was making halwa puri when being 'rested'. He was just miserable. No excuse for an international level bowler. The reality is that, well as the title suggests - Wahab Riaz, you are awful (with a few good performances here and there).

That's all one should expect from him.

Can't really take it out on him alone. He needs to be played consistently before making such grand conclusions. First, he was mistreated under the spot fixing shadow and then played in games out of the blue.

That Kohli inning was a sniper. The team accounted for everyone else but underestimated him. We won the tournament at the end, so shrug.

Guy has a strong bowling action and can swing the ball. Needs some tips from wasim maybe .I can pretty much put money on his comeback with a bang .

Is Wahab Riaz awful ?

Had to be done.

Especially with the 2 new ball rule .

Both wasim akram and waquar younis have stated he will never learn

With his wrist position, he'll never be any good. Gul is a superior bowler. Wahab is the left handed sami :sami

Had to be done.

Especially with the 2 new ball rule .

Both wasim akram and waquar younis have stated he will never learn

two of the greats have said this guy will never learn and it is showing. Can't even stay off the danger area of the pitch after so many years of bowling. No wonder he was even considered for the test matches...

Couldve been so differentfor him if the chances he created hadnt been dropped

He ll always be expensive/erratic, even more so when batsmen get on top of him and chances are dropped

Back