Is Wahab Riaz a bad bowler?

I honestly think he was way too unlucky today, should have got Amla twice and beat other batsmen with pace hence many other edges...don't forget that this is a "road" like pitch hence spare a thought...also, his follow-through wasn't working in the beginning...but having seen his raw full-throttle speed I would definitely stick with him for the next ODI - **** happens to all, spare a thought to the guy

At least he helped in knocking off tendulkar and dravid from the highest 3rd wicket partnership :wahab

No way. Extremely unlucky today:

Extremely unlucky today.

Wahab bowled with pace and aggression and was really unlucky. Playing his first game after a year the pressure on him must have been immense. He ran in and was bowling over 90mph consistently with the odd ball touching 94/95mph. He started off bowling and straight away the umpire was on his case about running on the pitch. This was bad for Wahab as it meant him having to concentrate on not running on the pitch as opposed to bowling. Its tough on him especially after he's making his comeback after a year on the sidelines.

He bowled with pace and aggression but was highly unlucky due to the incompetence of Hafeez. He dropped an absolute sitter off Hashim Amla who then went on to be the chief destroyer. That was not all as AB was also dropped in the same over by K.Akmal off Riaz. The commentators were on about how unlucky Wahab Riaz was and I completely agree with them. He should have had 2 wickets in the over if not for poor fielding.

It was really tough on him coming back at the death as this was an absolute nightmare for bowlers. It was a highway and he was bowling to both batsmen set on a 100. He did actually bowl some decent yorkers but a few wides also crept in. Also I believe he was unlucky to Du Plessis. Kamran Akmal didn't even make an effort to stop the deliveries that went off the outside edge.

An extremely unlucky day for Wahab Riaz. He deserves to get a long run. Many of the runs against him were inside edges for four. Outside edges for four. Overthrows and poor fielding.

he was very poor today very much looked like a avg. club bowler, but i think we need to give him one more chance (last)

Give the guy a break!
He played in 2010-2011 till the west indies tour and then side lined for almost a year, he warmed the bench and then suddenly an asia cup game against india pops up, and hes expected to get a 5 for. And then he doesnt perform in that game, and hes left out for another year until hes bought back to play against india, in which hes benched and then south africa tour comes along. Gul becomes injured and its- "hi wahab, would u like a game?" out of no where, i dont blame him the slightest, the guy had no luck on his side what so ever, and mix that with some bad bowling, which i sed wasnt his fault, the pcb and team are just using this guy to fill up gaps, a guy cant be expected to perform straight away as soon as hes bought in, there is no consistency. the poor guy will be dropped for another year now, looking forward to seeing him next march.

Comes across as a mercurial bowler. It is upto the Pak managament to find a balance between him and the mediocre toiler Gul.

I honestly think he was way too unlucky today, should have got Amla twice and beat other batsmen with pace hence many other edges...don't forget that this is a "road" like pitch hence spare a thought...also, his follow-through wasn't working in the beginning...but having seen his raw full-throttle speed I would definitely stick with him for the next ODI - **** happens to all, spare a thought to the guy

Wrong place wrong time for riaz to play. flattest deck plus he is been on the bench forever.

He is a bowler who needs to get in rhythm to bowl good and lets not forget the drop catches.

Wahab needs a good long run. He will reward us with plenty of wickets

I don't understand how a dropped catch can be used as an excuse to get whipped around the park for almost 10 an over?

Does not make any sense to me.

I don't understand how a dropped catch can be used as an excuse to get whipped around the park for almost 10 an over?

He didn't bowl that well but how much international cricket has he played. Don't get angry over one performance. Give people a run! I know he's the easiest target today but our fielding was poor and spinners innocuous.

I'm a big Wahab fan having seen the likes of cheema, tanvir Ahmed, s tanvir and the like. He's a good bowler and needs some tweaking. Plenty to work with.

Lol at some of these excuses. Great comic relief during the interval. :)))

Objectively he didn't bowl well, but don't get too heated over one performance. First time he's played for us in sa. No games for a year.

Can't be bothered arguing. Lets hope for some continuity

^ lol. Blind fan boys.

iam not his fan at all , but if you give a bowler a match after year of absence on the flatest tracks then i don't think its fair to him he needs to be given confidence like we did to Gull and give atleast one more match

exactly

do we have to restate these were the worst figures in pak odi history

Is Wahab Riaz awful ?

Objectively he didn't bowl well, but don't get too heated over one performance. First time he's played for us in sa. No games for a year.

Can't be bothered arguing. Lets hope for some continuity

Agree. Continuity and Pak cricket do not go together.

you cant blame misbah for this , its not his fault that the bowler cant control line and length

No way. Extremely unlucky today:

Extremely unlucky today.

Wahab bowled with pace and aggression and was really unlucky. Playing his first game after a year the pressure on him must have been immense. He ran in and was bowling over 90mph consistently with the odd ball touching 94/95mph. He started off bowling and straight away the umpire was on his case about running on the pitch. This was bad for Wahab as it meant him having to concentrate on not running on the pitch as opposed to bowling. Its tough on him especially after he's making his comeback after a year on the sidelines.

He bowled with pace and aggression but was highly unlucky due to the incompetence of Hafeez. He dropped an absolute sitter off Hashim Amla who then went on to be the chief destroyer. That was not all as AB was also dropped in the same over by K.Akmal off Riaz. The commentators were on about how unlucky Wahab Riaz was and I completely agree with them. He should have had 2 wickets in the over if not for poor fielding.

It was really tough on him coming back at the death as this was an absolute nightmare for bowlers. It was a highway and he was bowling to both batsmen set on a 100. He did actually bowl some decent yorkers but a few wides also crept in. Also I believe he was unlucky to Du Plessis. Kamran Akmal didn't even make an effort to stop the deliveries that went off the outside edge.

An extremely unlucky day for Wahab Riaz. He deserves to get a long run. Many of the runs against him were inside edges for four. Outside edges for four. Overthrows and poor fielding.

Totally agree

He's the same bowler he was when he made his debut in England. Fast and hostile, but with only one ball in his locker, the ball which slants away from the right hand batsman. For that to work you'd have to set a pretty specific field and he'd have to bowl a very disciplined line. Obviously that didn't happen today.

He's the same bowler he was when he made his debut in England. Fast and hostile, but with only one ball in his locker, the ball which slants away from the right hand batsman. For that to work you'd have to set a pretty specific field and he'd have to bowl a very disciplined line. Obviously that didn't happen today.

he made his international deb ut in 2008, hasnt improved since

Harsh to have a go at Wahab alone - it was a team 'effort' - the way the team got Amala and AB's going (confidence up) even Wahab's decent balls went.

Maybe he should bowl more from around the wicket

So the bowling coming into the right hand batsman but going away similer to what amir use to do

He does have pace and agression but he seems very one dimensional to me much like sami

No one who plays for Pakistan is awful!

Wish our fans would grow up.

Nerves/bad luck/dropped catches - Wahab is fine and one of our best bolwers

no way. Extremely unlucky today:

Extremely unlucky today.

Wahab bowled with pace and aggression and was really unlucky. Playing his first game after a year the pressure on him must have been immense. He ran in and was bowling over 90mph consistently with the odd ball touching 94/95mph. He started off bowling and straight away the umpire was on his case about running on the pitch. This was bad for wahab as it meant him having to concentrate on not running on the pitch as opposed to bowling. Its tough on him especially after he's making his comeback after a year on the sidelines.

He bowled with pace and aggression but was highly unlucky due to the incompetence of hafeez. He dropped an absolute sitter off hashim amla who then went on to be the chief destroyer. That was not all as ab was also dropped in the same over by k.akmal off riaz. The commentators were on about how unlucky wahab riaz was and i completely agree with them. He should have had 2 wickets in the over if not for poor fielding.

It was really tough on him coming back at the death as this was an absolute nightmare for bowlers. It was a highway and he was bowling to both batsmen set on a 100. He did actually bowl some decent yorkers but a few wides also crept in. Also i believe he was unlucky to du plessis. Kamran akmal didn't even make an effort to stop the deliveries that went off the outside edge.

An extremely unlucky day for wahab riaz. He deserves to get a long run. Many of the runs against him were inside edges for four. Outside edges for four. Overthrows and poor fielding.

potw

No one who plays for Pakistan is awful!

Wish our fans would grow up.

Nerves/bad luck/dropped catches - Wahab is fine and one of our best bolwers
Good post MeninG :anwara

Wahab has brilliant raw skill/talent (which he mainly and the team should/could utilise much better

Good post MeninG :anwara

Wahab has brilliant raw skill/talent (which he mainly and the team should/could utilise much better

What brilliant skill/talent are you talking about? He's fast certainly. But if he was talented he'd have the ability to move the ball back in to the right handers rather than just slant it across every time. He's a one ball wonder.

He did bowl a bit of rubbish today but he was very unlucky at times. No margin for error at all at the Wanderers.

Wahab Riaz's last 3 ODIs

0-47 from 7 overs vs. England
0-50 from 4 overs vs. India
2-93 from 10 overs vs. South Africa

21 overs, 2 wickets at an average of 95. Econ rate 9.04.

Last edited:
Aaaaaaaand Wahab Riaz joins Sami and Ishant among the ''unlucky'' scaterguns.

It looks as if he has lost whatever confidence he had in his bowling, Feel sorry for him. Don't think he will get another game after this performance.

I will say that we can call him awful if he repeats his performance with the ball in the next match.Its highly unfair to write off a bowler after a single match, give him one more match, no point replacing him with a tried and tested failure like Gul after just one match.

I will say that we can call him awful if he repeats his performance with the ball in the next match.Its highly unfair to write off a bowler after a single match, give him one more match, no point replacing him with a tried and tested failure like Gul after just one match.

Wahab Riaz's last 3 ODIs

0-47 from 7 overs vs. England (Econ 6.71)
0-50 from 4 overs vs. India (Econ 12.50)
2-93 from 10 overs vs. South Africa (9.30)

21 overs, 2 wickets at an average of 95. Econ rate 9.04.

Wahab Riaz in his last 4 ODI'S against test playing nations

:wahab

Wahab has been taken for 228 runs of his last 26 overs in the odis at 8.7 economy rate with the 2 wickets in total coming in the last Odi against South Africa

I would still give him 1 more chance or maybe the whole series. If he didn't impress well its over for him anyway.

When the likes of Gul can be given a consistent run for many a year and bowl rubbish it is only fair for him to be also given atleast a string of 3-4 games put together

I say he should play the next ODI on the basis so that he can be given a run. Players need to know that they wont be axed after one bad game.

typical start, true its an edge but look at where he is bowling, shot and wide . If anything he should be thankful its an edge because than Alberto can defend him

hoping he fixes it for the rest of the match

That edge was unlucky, but the ball was short and wide anyway. I hope he gets a wicket though, will really boost his confidence

4 overs 16 runs so far , he should look to bowl a containing lenght from here-on or else he'll get smacked easily .

Has bowled has a better line today. I think he needs a little bit confidence from the captain

Any other team would love to gave a 90mph left armer in the side. He's the future for us with junaid and irfan.

He's gone at 4 an over. Lower then Irfan, Afridi & Ajmal.

If your complaining about that you clearly have a dislike for him no matter what he does.

Leg cutter, remember these guys are in now.

Defensive captaincy does not help

Misbah should have given Wahab a go after his 4 over instead of giving Afridi over after over

He bowled 4 overs for just 16 runs and didn't get more overs? Had he gone for 30-40 runs I would have understood that, maybe Misbah missed a trick there.

If Paksitan lose by a small margin today people will certainly question why Misbah didn't give him more overs.

Back