Is Wahab Riaz a bad bowler?

He's still a poor bowler Alberto

Which makes me kind of sad
If he was only a half-decent bowler he could make for a brilliant allrounder

poor bowler but like his bowling he can sometime shine.

fast bowling version of Afridi

This innings is definitely not a fluke , He had the potential to be Andrew flintoff type player but sadly that didnt happen , but if he just sort out his bowling he can be a handy allrounder.

Did you eat Humble pie when Gul smashed the Saffers in WT20? No you just said it was a fluke
Well then this should also be called a fluke

Wahab has hit 2 40's in a short space of time so it is not a fluke!But a blind hater like you won't admit this simple fact!

Wahab has hit 2 40's in a short space of time so it is not a fluke!But a blind hater like you won't admit this simple fact!
question is, why did you discount Gul innings against SA? if that was a fluke, so was this. shows you being a blind hater, not him.

:facepalm:
I never said Wahab's batting is a fluke
You said Gul's was

Thing is he can never get into the team based on his bowling
Comparing with the other bowlers we have:

Junaid Khan --> better than Wahab
M. Irfan ---> better than Wahab
Asad Ali ----> better than Wahab
Ehsan Adil ---> better than Wahab

Oh and even though he's not in the squad:
Umar Gul ---> better than Wahab

People are getting very judgemental.

His average is good but his strike rate is highly impressive. Better than many world class bowlers past and present and not just few games but 30 matches.

He has shown the he has the ability to pick up wickets. I think he has lost confidence with the ball and we need to persist with him for a few months more.

I believe after today Wahab will have a great tournament with the ball.Getting runs helps to build up the confidence!

Dr_Khan should be stripped off his degree/or is he another fake like Dr_Bassim?

Gull's innings was a fluke as he has not replicated it after and he only has one productive shot.Whereas, Wahab can play both sides of the wicket and he has a deft touch with those sweeps as well!

Riaz is happy to have proven many people wrong. Says he has bowled not as high as his standards but has contributed with the bat recently and asks the hater "to go and have a look at their own record"! Fiesty!

Thread was created about Wahab's bowling not his batting. My degree is legit and my specialty is in mental health assessment. Call me if you need help

bowling wise..Wahab is garbage..hasnt improved in the past few games..batting wise he's improving.

he's improving his batting not his bowling. learn to read.

Last edited:
He already was a decent striker with the bat in the limited opportunities given to him.Now that he has the freedom, he will simply excel!

Riaz should be never in the national team. He is at best a club level bowler

Last edited:
He's had everyone work with him for his bowling and it seems he just can't get it to click. There were comparisons with him and Johnson, but Johnson is miles ahead unfortunately. I hope he does improve his bowling and gain some consistency, but I'm not holding my breath. Until then he's just too much of a liability to play as a bowler, he doesn't go for 6 an over, he goes for 10. We don't have the batting to make up for that kind of average.

The very fact that my degree is being questioned makes me think that you are kinda confused.

We are talking of Wahab Riaz and his inability to hit the right areas with the ball consistently.

If he is playing purely as a batsmen, by all means select him. But his bowling is trash at the moment.

You are welcome to make a thread about Dr_Bassim and his fake degree. I will be happy to answer any insecurities you have in that thread...

Rough childhood perhaps? :13:

Still have my doubts over your comments.Wahab the bowler has a top S/R unlike some of his colleagues.He is a big game player and he saved our blushes in Mohali!

Still have my doubts over your comments.Wahab the bowler has a top S/R unlike some of his colleagues.He is a big game player and he saved our blushes in Mohali!

So we will remember Mohali forever? The game in which Wahab performed and we still lost ?

Maybe Afridi should be in the team too, on the basis of 37 ball 100 once..

Come to think of it, even Gul performs once in a blue moon..

Remember his T20 performance just a while against South Africa?

So perhaps we should include Gul too?

And while we're at it .. there was a certain Mohammad Yousaf, who scored 1788 runs in a calendar year...

He just denied retirement .. Perhaps its time he should be the fold too...

Wahab has not had as many games as Afridi.Lala is the worst player to play international cricket so it is an unfair comparison!

There is no replacement for Riaz! He bats better than Gul,Irfan,Junaid combined!

People are getting very judgemental.

His average is good but his strike rate is highly impressive. Better than many world class bowlers past and present and not just few games but 30 matches.

He has shown the he has the ability to pick up wickets. I think he has lost confidence with the ball and we need to persist with him for a few months more.

look at his record sincec the advent of the 2 new ball rule, its shocking.

I agree but he has played less than a dozen games under the new rule.
Give him some time.

Top early to discard.

How did he get the vast bulk of his wickets before that rule : using reverse swing especially in the latter overs with those great Yorkers.

No chance of that happening now

There is no replacement for Riaz! He bats better than Gul,Irfan,Junaid combined!

:))) :))) :))) :))) :))) :))) :))) :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Is this the most foolish comment in the history of PP? If I had any credibility about your posts I have lost that today. It's ironic tht you tell people to get their heads checked because its so bloody obvious that you're just a blind Wahab fanboy and do NOT A SINGLE IDEA ABOUT CRICKET.

Better than them combined?
Hell no, he isn't even better than one of them
If he is so good why hasn't he cemented a place in the XI yet?

Junaid has worked hard to make sure he became a permanent member of the team for all three formats despite being in and out of the team due to injury

Irfan too was called up after 2010 and he made sure he becomes a permanent member in the team by giving good performances in India and SA

Gul has been leading this pace attack for so many years. He may not be a good test bowler but he has won us many LO games, playing an extremely important role in our WT20 win in 2009. His form may have dipped in recent times but he is still MILES better than Wahab Riaz.

Wahab just had one moment of glory - the semifinal vs Mohali a match in which his bowling didn't even help us win the game. Apart from that my only memories of Wahab are him getting thrashed in the Asia Cup and SA matches.

If Wahab is really better than a these 3 combined he should have been leading our pace attack today - if you say that he has been in and out of the team an not given a consistent chance then that's BS because Junaid has been in and out of the team due to injury as well

Wahab cannot even dream of bowling that spell Junaid bowled to India or getting Amla out for 0 or taking 5/6 against a top quality team in a T20 match

Simply because he is an awful bowler who had just one moment of glory.

Last edited:
Wahab could only get into the team by paying selectors to pick him
Junaid, Irfan and Gul made it through hard work and domestic performances

Why are so many people praising wahab on his batting? Yes it came off against ireland and some horrendous bowling. But the main focus should be on his bowling, we need genuine pace bowlers in our team and lets hope he can do enough to keep his place in the 11 on his bowling alone and his batting can be a bonus

^ I think you miss read his post. He said in batting not bowling

My bad
But if we're judging bowlers by their batting
Then Tanvir Ahmed should be an automatic selection for the team
Bowlers are called BOWLers for a reason; they should be selected based on their bowling not batting

^ I think you miss read his post. He said in batting not bowling

And seriously even in batting,

Gul can strike lusty blows to help his team win.

Remember T20 World Cup vs South Africa.

So he is at par with Gul as a batsmen.

"Gul has been leading this pace attack for so many years. He may not be a good test bowler but he has won us many LO games, playing an extremely important role in our WT20 win in 2009. His form may have dipped in recent times but he is still MILES better than Wahab Riaz."
The first sentence shows your poor recollection of events or maybe you are a very blind Gul lover.But don't worry I will bring you back from your delusions. Your statement should have been Gul was meant to be the leader of the attack but often shied away from his responsibility.Shabbir often outperfomed Gul when they started at the same time against Bangladesh and India! Rao was our best ODI bowler from 2003-2007 which is a true statistic which reflects how mediocre Gul is to be beaten by an economical bowler!I can't remember of any decent ODI performance at that time of your hero!He is overrated in the ODI format-just look at his recent games regularly going over 6 runs an over despite playing over 100 games and being the most experienced bowler!Gul lived in the shadows of Aamir and Asif despite having 8 years of international exposure.Some would say 8 years wasted as we would have a better bowler if PCB had backed someone else for 8-10 years!Gul has underaachieved considerably and is on the wrong side of 30 so I doubt he is willing to improve and learn new tricks.You can't teach an old dog new tricks mate.

"Wahab just had one moment of glory - the semifinal vs Mohali a match in which his bowling didn't even help us win the game. Apart from that my only memories of Wahab are him getting thrashed in the Asia Cup and SA matches."
Flashback! Seems you are Aamir Khan from Ghajni.#memoryloss.As a good samaritan, I shall kindly remind AhsanAfzal! Gul was talking all big before that match saying how he was ready and how he would have preferred Akhtar over Riaz.(Now don't say it would have been a different story if Shoaib had played).Anyway,Gul lost us the match in the opening exchanges withSehwag who hit him all over Mohali.He wasted the new ball!He wasted the initiative! He lost us the match!Riaz was mentally strong and never gave up as he fought till the end yet he had no support from his experienced seam partner. He was the senior that day. I got an advice to you and Gul:"Be careful what you say as it often bites you on you a**"!"This advice should be heeded and will serve you well in life!

"Wahab cannot even dream of bowling that spell Junaid bowled to India or getting Amla out for 0 or taking 5/6 against a top quality team in a T20 match."
Has Junaid taken a 5fer against India? No. Riaz has the best bowling performance by a rookie in a world cup.He faced the best batting line up in the world in their home conditions in a semi final.Also,it was an IND-PAK match where 2 billion people watch it making it the biggest spectacle.This is a pressure cooker situation and your bow felt the pressure and bottled it!Whereas,Riaz kept calm and bowled the spell of his life.In SA, Riaz was troubling Amla and AB but keeper dropped 3 opportunities which demoralizes the bowler's confidence.Gul went wicketless in the first 2 ODI games.Let me remind you! Also,it is not as though Junaid set the wrld alight on that tour as well.Irfan was our best seamer!

I have deciphered all your bias and threw it back at you!You did not expect that!

I have deciphered all your bias and threw it back at you!You did not expect that!

Actually no I am used to your useless fact-less arguing

The first sentence shows your poor recollection of events or maybe you are a very blind Gul lover.But don't worry I will bring you back from your delusions. Your statement should have been Gul was meant to be the leader of the attack but often shied away from his responsibility.Shabbir often outperfomed Gul when they started at the same time against Bangladesh and India! Rao was our best ODI bowler from 2003-2007 which is a true statistic which reflects how mediocre Gul is to be beaten by an economical bowler!I can't remember of any decent ODI performance at that time of your hero!He is overrated in the ODI format-just look at his recent games regularly going over 6 runs an over despite playing over 100 games and being the most experienced bowler!Gul lived in the shadows of Aamir and Asif despite having 8 years of international exposure.Some would say 8 years wasted as we would have a better bowler if PCB had backed someone else for 8-10 years!Gul has underaachieved considerably and is on the wrong side of 30 so I doubt he is willing to improve and learn new tricks.You can't teach an old dog new tricks mate.

I am not a Gul lover but I give him credit where due
He was there whenever other Pakistan bowlers have been involved in scandals
He gives his 100% of Pakistan
He is a honest, hardworking bowler
And his stats (in LO's) are better than Wahab's
He has bowled some spells which Wahab can only dream of
5/6 vs NZ, 5/6 vs SA, WT20 2007 performances and WT20 2009 performances

Flashback! Seems you are Aamir Khan from Ghajni.#memoryloss.As a good samaritan, I shall kindly remind AhsanAfzal! Gul was talking all big before that match saying how he was ready and how he would have preferred Akhtar over Riaz.(Now don't say it would have been a different story if Shoaib had played).Anyway,Gul lost us the match in the opening exchanges withSehwag who hit him all over Mohali.He wasted the new ball!He wasted the initiative! He lost us the match!Riaz was mentally strong and never gave up as he fought till the end yet he had no support from his experienced seam partner. He was the senior that day. I got an advice to you and Gul:"Be careful what you say as it often bites you on you a**"!"This advice should be heeded and will serve you well in life!

Once again you're just praising Wahab's performance in that match- simply because you don't have other performances to talk about :))
Wahab is a one-match wonder and while that was an important match in which he did well you need to get over it because he hasn't shown signs of replicating that kind of performance after the WC
Yes Gul had a bad day but every bowler has his good and bad days.
Before you apply the same analogy for Wahab let me tell you this; his bad days are WAYY more frequent than his good days

Has Junaid taken a 5fer against India? No. Riaz has the best bowling performance by a rookie in a world cup.He faced the best batting line up in the world in their home conditions in a semi final.Also,it was an IND-PAK match where 2 billion people watch it making it the biggest spectacle.This is a pressure cooker situation and your bow felt the pressure and bottled it!Whereas,Riaz kept calm and bowled the spell of his life.In SA, Riaz was troubling Amla and AB but keeper dropped 3 opportunities which demoralizes the bowler's confidence.Gul went wicketless in the first 2 ODI games.Let me remind you! Also,it is not as though Junaid set the wrld alight on that tour as well.Irfan was our best seamer!

Again you're just praising Wahab's performance in that match- simply because you don't have other performances to talk about :))

Last edited:
Actually no I am used to your useless fact-less arguing

I am not a Gul lover but I give him credit where due
He was there whenever other Pakistan bowlers have been involved in scandals
He gives his 100% of Pakistan
He is a honest, hardworking bowler
And his stats (in LO's) are better than Wahab's
He has bowled some spells which Wahab can only dream of
5/6 vs NZ, 5/6 vs SA, WT20 2007 performances and WT20 2009 performances

Once again you're just praising Wahab's performance in that match- simply because you don't have other performances to talk about :))
Wahab is a one-match wonder and while that was an important match in which he did well you need to get over it because he hasn't shown signs of replicating that kind of performance after the WC
Yes Gul had a bad day but every bowler has his good and bad days.
Before you apply the same analogy for Wahab let me tell you this; his bad days are WAYY more frequent than his good days

Again you're just praising Wahab's performance in that match- simply because you don't have other performances to talk about :))

Wahab doesn't have any other performances bar the 5-fer against India? LOL.

He has a 5-fer on test debut vs England on their home turf. He bowled BRILLIANTLY in New Zealand and won us a test match in a session with classic fast bowling. He bowled into the wind for about 45 minutes bowling at 145kph consistently.

Don't act as if Wahab's 5-fer vs India is all he has.

Wahab doesn't have any other performances bar the 5-fer against India? LOL.

He has a 5-fer on test debut vs England on their home turf. He bowled BRILLIANTLY in New Zealand and won us a test match in a session with classic fast bowling. He bowled into the wind for about 45 minutes bowling at 145kph consistently.

Don't act as if Wahab's 5-fer vs India is all he has.

Ok he has one 5-fer vs India and the 5-fer vs England on test debut
(I remember reading on cricinfo that Pakistani bowlers who took 5-fers on debut turned out to be failures and Wahab looks set to continue that trend)

He was actually a decent bowler in late 2010-early 2011 but for some reason he was dropped
After that the less said about his performances the better

We have better options than him like Junaid, Irfan, Asad and Adil. We shouldn't prefer Wahab over them because of his one purple patch during 2010-11 or because of his superior batting

Well Gul is a professional cricketer who is doing his job.So don't give that nonsense that he was there when other bowlers were involved in scandals.So by your logic should we give everyone credit for doing their jobs?You are saying as if he is Mother Theresa! If an employee steals money from his bank and gets caught but the others don't do it should the boss give them a massive pay rise?No as they are doing their job!

Last edited:
Ahson,do visit Specsavors before you post in this thread.#Learnhowtoread

Ahson,do visit Specsavors before you post in this thread.#Learnhowtoread

You're not telling me you've never misread a sentence in your life
Even in the case I didn't misread it it was a rubbish comment
Bowlers are selected based on their bowling ability and their bowling form
Wahab is completely out of form with the ball
If batting was the basis to select bowlers then Tanvir Ahmed should have been leading our attack

Well Gul is a professional cricketer who is doing his job.So don't give that nonsense that he was there when other bowlers were involved in scandals.So by your logic should we give everyone credit for doing their jobs?You are saying as if he is Mother Theresa! If an employee steals money from his bank and gets caught but the others don't do it should the boss give them a massive pay rise?No as they are doing their job!

Given the no. of scandals Pak bowlers have been involved in, Gul has done a very important job

Given the no. of scandals Pak bowlers have been involved in, Gul has done a very important job

so true. He had to change his role in the team from the 3rd seamer to an opening bowler which he is not comfortable with and which affected his performances resulting in heavy criticism from fans. But he didnt refuse to open the bowling and rather said that he has it in him to use the new ball.

Why are people saying Wahab took so so wicket in the past when the new ball rule makes his bowling cannon fodder, something which even experienced posters cannot see.

Wake up for goodness sake it's getting embarrassing now.

Wahab is a bowler not a All-Rounder simple as that. He is rubbish with the ball and gives away runs at the rate of 6 per over. At that rate, even if he scores 30 odd runs once in a blue moon he is basically covering up for the runs he gave away. I would much rather play Rehman as a second spinner than Wahab.

and how do we select a bowler based on his batting credentials? :facepalm:
if that was the case Misbah would be our spearhead :yk

Why are people saying Wahab took so so wicket in the past when the new ball rule makes his bowling cannon fodder, something which even experienced posters cannot see.

Wake up for goodness sake it's getting embarrassing now.

This is what Alberto refuses too see or accept

If that rule was not in place I'd be supportive of riaz in limited overs cricket. Without he is worse than gul. Gul has been reduced too bad riaz too awful

How many games has Wahab had with these new rules? He was troubling AB but Kamran dropped a catch/ let the ball went.past him.He did more on the last tour than Gul!

How many games has Wahab had with these new rules? He was troubling AB but Kamran dropped a catch/ let the ball went.past him.He did more on the last tour than Gul!

If wahab was half as good as you say he is then his average would not have gone from 23 too 28 since that rule came into place. I also can't remember a game in that period where he has given less than 6 an over. It isn't rocket science, how did riaz get most of wickets prior to that rule? Reverse swing. The mohali game you keep mentioning , riaz got at least 3 wickets with reverse swing.

From what I recall he had amla dropped that's it could be wrong. By trouble you mean have one ball rear up into ABs face after irfan was doing it for 2 overs. Plus junaid had AB dropped, did he go on to give 90 runs away?

Honestly your desperation is beyond funny now. I genuinely pity you. I remember when riaz gave us the worst figures in pak odi history you said "he got 2 more wickets than gul " both of after players had smashed for sixes. Faf du plessis was horribly out of form till riaz made him look like Vivan Richards so please don't use the excuse that he was bowling only to amla or AB, and I event even mentioned what Farhan beahardien did too him....

Last edited:
Wahab can be replaced as a batsman for Don Farhat.. and dont give him the ball for not more than 4 overs..then he'll be good...:)

Bowlers get affected by dropped catches.Especially one who is in and out of the team! His confidence takes a battering! Though, I can see the confidence coming back as he was playing flamboyant shots!

Bowlers get affected by dropped catches.Especially one who is in and out of the team! His confidence takes a battering! Though, I can see the confidence coming back as he was playing flamboyant shots!

Bowlers get that affected by dropped catches, that they go for 93 runs!

I hope he is paying you, honestly.

If he was as good as you claim he is a dropped catch should not translate to the worst figures in our countries history. Asad Ali had a dropped catch, did he ball crap after that ?

I hope he is paying you, honestly.

If he was as good as you claI thinlim he is a dropped catch should not translate to the worst figures in our countries history. Asad Ali had a dropped catch, did he ball crap after that ?

SA have number 1 and 2 best batsman in ODI so you cant drop them and then not expect them to not punish you.When you get your hate Wahab mantra, from your head then you can see this.Look at the recent 2012 T20 final, Samuels was dropped and subsequently SL dropped the cup.Or the Gibbs incident in 1999.

Wahab was seriously unlucky that day. Had dropped catches, misfields & many edges against him. Everything just went against him and it was a poor day from Wahab where he actually started well.

He is a confidence bowler and his confidence was hit after those poor drop catches. We must remember he was under tremendous pressure as he was making his comeback after a long time. Its extremely hard to come in and out of the team like he does, he's been managed poorly.

Also, remember he was bowling to the number 1 and number 2 ODI batsman who were at the top of the game, set at the wicket & were batting on a 100. They were in superb touch and it was tough for every bowler.

I'm not a Wahab blind fan but he had it hard that day and it was a poor day. He has however been poor of late and I have been a supporter of him. Mainly because of his pace and his ability to bowl 90mph consistently. Those bowlers are RARE and that's why I back him SO much.

I have to agree that his performances have been extremely poor since the new ball rule change. He looks a complete different bowler now but I still back him to come good IF we persist with him for a few series. The results will soon come through.

And his 5-fer vs India isn't his only notable performance, he has a 5-fer on debut vs England. Also bowled brilliantly in NZ and won us a test in a session with brute fast bowling bowling into the wind.

Wahab was seriously unlucky that day. Had dropped catches, misfields & many edges against him. Everything just went against him and it was a poor day from Wahab where he actually started well.

He is a confidence bowler and his confidence was hit after those poor drop catches. We must remember he was under tremendous pressure as he was making his comeback after a long time. Its extremely hard to come in and out of the team like he does, he's been managed poorly.

Also, remember he was bowling to the number 1 and number 2 ODI batsman who were at the top of the game, set at the wicket & were batting on a 100. They were in superb touch and it was tough for every bowler.

I'm not a Wahab blind fan but he had it hard that day and it was a poor day. He has however been poor of late and I have been a supporter of him. Mainly because of his pace and his ability to bowl 90mph consistently. Those bowlers are RARE and that's why I back him SO much.

I have to agree that his performances have been extremely poor since the new ball rule change. He looks a complete different bowler now but I still back him to come good IF we persist with him for a few series. The results will soon come through.

And his 5-fer vs India isn't his only notable performance, he has a 5-fer on debut vs England. Also bowled brilliantly in NZ and won us a test in a session with brute fast bowling bowling into the wind.
all of these performances were before 2 new balls rule which has basically killed :gul and :wahab both.

That is what I have been saying.You can't expect him to do the fielding now.Everything that could have gone wrong that day did.Misbah also does not inspire confidence into his bowlers.

all of these performances were before 2 new balls rule which has basically killed :gul and :wahab both.

The 5-fer vs England on debut was in test cricket. A format where Wahab should be playing with his brilliant reverse-swinging skills :)

The 5-fer vs England on debut was in test cricket. A format where Wahab should be playing with his brilliant reverse-swinging skills :)

oh yeah, I agree wahab should be playing test because we don't see reverse swing very often these days, he will make life difficult for batsmen in tests. thanks for reminding :)

Wahab Riaz can play all 3 formats as he is incredibly fit and has pace in abundance!

I suggest you look at all the Pakistanis in history who have taken 5fers on debut and where they ended up. Even in the second innings of that game he looked untreatining

So were junaid and irfan , difference is they got better

i went through cricinfo. He had one dropped catch and 5 edges , 3 of them at the death where such things happen when batsman are swinging. If he cant deal with it he should focus on his modelling career. He also had at least 10 runs saved by good fielding

come on dont act silly. Who spanked him the most at the end? Faf Du plessis, the guy who was in no form what so ever untill Riaz came along

So can Sami, tait and tino best . Brillant bowlers arent they

Besides his pace is serioulsy exagerrated, he isnt out and out fast like those 3 mentioned above

Few series ? why should he get that much when asad ali and rahat ali have been promising and anwar ali has been sitting in the bench for so long. A few series is a year. Plus riaz isnt young he is almost 28 and if the likes of Shaun pollock, Waqar and wasim have given up on him what makes you think things will change? Since the 2 new ball rule Riaz has taken 5 wickets in 8 games at an economy of almost 7
3 of those wickets have been against ireland and Afganistan. the other 2 were in the game he gave us the worst figures in our history and both from batsman who were getting tired of belting him everywhere. IF he was half as good as you and Alberto make out to be he would have done better.

Wahab Riaz can play all 3 formats as he is incredibly fit and has pace in abundance!

And he has nothing else- congratulations he can join the Shaun taint, tino best and Sami, all of whom were faster anyways

plus we have better options

Last edited:
Well he is creating the chances but the fielders are not holding onto them/not diving! See the dismissal of either AB/Amla would have resulted in FAF facing a hostile first spell where he was close to unplayable.Therefore, his figures would not have been so bad!

Well he is creating the chances but the fielders are not holding onto them/not diving! See the dismissal of either AB/Amla would have resulted in FAF facing a hostile first spell where he was close to unplayable.Therefore, his figures would not have been so bad!

I give up .....

Seems more people have posted in the Is Umar Gul awful? than this one

One thing Riaz does is he makes chances every game. He took wickets pretty much every game up to and including the World cup.

Perhaps he's playing the wrong format and should be playing tests as well as a third seamer to do the job when the ball gets old.

Back