James Anderson's bowling average to drop below 30 soon (Countdown)

If you give me Steyn at his absolute best as well as Anderson, whom to pick will be a hard decision for me. Same cannot be said about any other bowler of this generation compared Steyn.

I'm a firm believer of the argument that over the course of last 5-6 years, Anderson has been a clear number two.

Mid 2010 to mid 2012 is not 5-6 years mamoon.

If you give me Steyn at his absolute best as well as Anderson, whom to pick will be a hard decision for me.

I will happily take Steyn. Individual spells, Individual years and everything else points to Steyn as being better even if you take absolute best for both. Steyn can do everything better than Anderson except in-swingers. Over all, he will be more effective.

Mid 2010 to mid 2012 is not 5-6 years mamoon.

I won't say. Asif was better than him but he played very little cricket after 2007 other than a brief comeback in 2009-10 and Amir had a just one dream series in England.

There hasn't be one individual bowler better than Anderson (other than Steyn) for a considerable period of time due to XYZ reasons up until now with the likes of Harris and Johnson emerging with Southee and Boult improving a lot.

I personally don't rate Philander.

Broad has bowled more devastating spells than Anderson. I fear Broad more than Jimmy

I will happily take Steyn. Individual spells, Individual years and everything else points to Steyn as being better even if you take absolute best for both. Steyn can do everything better than Anderson except in-swingers. Over all, he will be more effective.

After that I'd take Philander and MJ. Anderson lost his silver medal long back.

My 5 fers of Anderson have been of considerable quality, much better than 5 fer of other bowlers barring Steyn.

Agree on Broad though, his ability to run through a lineup in a session like a juggernaut is unrivaled and I rate him very highly as well. At present, he's better than Anderson.

I won't say. Asif was better than him but he played very little cricket after 2007 other than a brief comeback in 2009-10 and Amir had a just one dream series in England.

There hasn't be one individual bowler better than Anderson (other than Steyn) for a considerable period of time due to XYZ reasons up until now with the likes of Harris and Johnson emerging with Southee and Boult improving a lot.

I personally don't rate Philander.

I agree that pace bowling stocks have been at an all time low. Its just that Anderson's consistent world class run was in the period I mentioned. You were comparing Anderson's and Steyn's best spells but Jimmy has not had any great spells outside England except Ashes 2010/2011 whereas steyn has just come off a good tour of SL.

During England's rise to the top, Anderson delivered killer spells everywhere but pre and post his purple patch, I agree that he has been ordinary outside England and should have done much better.

Honestly can't think of an Anderson spell that could rival the best of Steyn and MJ.

During England's rise to the top, Anderson delivered killer spells everywhere but pre and post his purple patch, I agree that he has been ordinary outside England and should have done much better.
Some examples would be appreciated

His 7 fer vs NZ was amazing for a start as well as spell vs India in England 2007 when he made Tendulkar look like a dunce.

Anderson's fifers consist of a couple of top-order wickets and then he blows apart the tail with the second new ball. Rarely has he ever destroyed a batting line-up like Philander and Johnson have.

That is why his average never drops below 30, his fifers are not cheap.

Was very good in SA 2010, Destroyed Australia in the 2010-2011 Ashes, did very well in SL in 2011, was the best seamer in UAE 2012 and bowled decisive spells in India 2012.

Sir Jimmy came full circle with the match winning performance against Australia in the 1st Test of the 2013 Ashes at Trent Bridge. That was his final stellar performance and he hasn't been the same ever since. Perhaps it was his last hurrah.

Actually right up to recent ashes I would have put Anderson at no.2 after steyn. Although now it has to be Johnson after his amazing run.

I once read an article that stated that Anderson has taken a very high % of top order wickets. Don't know the details and how much truth it holds though.

His 7 fer vs NZ was amazing for a start as well as spell vs India in England 2007 when he made Tendulkar look like a dunce.

NZ are not a great team and he got Sachin out which is good but I wanna go back watch his good spells that could rival DS and MJ. Any?

So even Mamoon can't point out that one defining spell for Anderson, like Philander's in that 47, 99 all-out test or Johnson during the first test againt South Africa this year.

Anderson's peaks are overrated as well.

Lol, refer to the 2010-2011 Ashes and the 1st Test of the 2013 Ashes if you want defining spells.

Lol, refer to the 2010-2011 Ashes and the 1st Test of the 2013 Ashes if you want defining spells.

Which one? Even the Jimmy Anderson fanclub (membership of 1) can't differentiate his "defining" spells.

Your opinion. Well as far as MJ is concerned, Steyn doesn't come close to what he has produced in the Ashes and South Africa.

That 6-8 was a legendary spell. Arguably better than Johnson's spell.

Which one? Even the Jimmy Anderson fanclub (membership of 1) can't even differentiate his "defining" spells.

2013 Ashes, first Test. One of the greatest performance by a seamer in years. I think I already mentioned it.

Steyn's 7 for in India and the whole series against India in 2011 were elite level performance and so were MJ's. But you haven't given any examples. All I can say is Jimmy's best isn't on par with these two's best.

The spell in Galle was great too, unfortunately he didn't have a Philander on his side for support. SL ran away with it because everyone else was below par.

I'm giving you examples, which you are choosing to ignore.

And obviously, Steyn has produced more great spells. That is not the argument.

My argument is of the 'quality' of spells and not 'quantity'. Small things stats obsessed people find it hard to decipher.

I didn't ignore but it was not on par. Broad's best spells are closer to those's two's best spells. Anderson's not.

Broad will at the moment is a better bowler but over the last few years, no.

2013 Ashes, first Test. One of the greatest performance by a seamer in years. I think I already mentioned it.

No you didn't specify it.

And its just like I said, a few top order wickets but the rest is made up of the tail (and Haddin).

85/5 and 73/5 just don't compare with the spells of Steyn, Philander and MJ.

Even Harris has had greater spells than this. So much for peak, lol.

Anderson fanboys are blinded by their hero's smooth action, so much so that they can't see that he isn't as good as they think he is.

And obviously, Steyn has produced more great spells. That is not the argument.

My argument is of the 'quality' of spells and not 'quantity'. Small things stats obsessed people find it hard to decipher.
Nah that's just excuse to cop out, branding others obsessed and stuffs. We didn 't argue that if Steyn produced more great spells than Anderson or not. We are arguing about the quality and I never brought quantity argument here. I have stayed on quality. Can you please show us any examples of his best spells that are elite and would be talked about for long?

When you put it this way (scorecard reading) it obviously pales in comparison to 6/8 but you wouldn't say so had you watched that match. It was a sensational performance and what you call a genuine match winning one.

As close to a one man assault as you can get in a team sport like cricket.

Last edited:
The ones I already mentioned. They are as good spells as Steyn has produced.

Harris is a better bowler than Anderson and on par with Steyn.

When you put it this way (scorecard reading) it obviously pales in comparison to 6/8 but you wouldn't say so had you watched that match. It was a sensational performance and what you call a genuine match winning one.

As close to a one man assault as you can get in a team sport like cricket.

Thing is, I did watch that match and still can't remember that spell like I remember Steyn's, MJ's or Philander's.

It just doesn't compare with those other spells.

You need a little consistency as well. Broad's best is better than both Anderson and Steyn but he goes missing for much longer as well to counter it.

Anderson has been consistent as well.

That's your problem then. I have forgotten most of Steyn's spell as well.

Comfortably better than Philander. Harris is a fantastic and a complete bowler and nothing separates him from Steyn.

Don't think so. Steyn has been under par since the Pakistan series in UAE but looked back to his best in SL.

You need a little consistency as well. Broad's best is better than both Anderson and Steyn but he goes missing for much longer as well to counter it.

Anderson has been consistent as well.
haha now Broad's best is better than Steyn's?? God.

Steyn's best is better than Broad and Jimmy's. Broad's best is better than Jimmy's.

Last edited:
Thing is, I did watch that match and still can't remember that spell like I remember Steyn's, MJ's or Philander's.

It just doesn't compare with those other spells.

Have you noticed that he hasn't given any examples but arguing about Harris, Broad 's consisntency and other things but never about Jimmy's best.

Have you noticed that he hasn't given any examples but arguing about Harris, Broad 's consisntency and other things but never about Jimmy's best.

Cause he doesn't remember them either. Just a vague idea of which match he bowled well.

Fanboy being exposed big time here. Anderson would be ashamed.

He is talking about this and that without directly talking about what we were talking about before.

Fact is Anderson is a decent bowler. He is nowhere near Gillespie's level, let alone Steyn's level. Broad at his best is more devastating than Jimmy.

I remember the spells and didn't jump to cricinfo for reference, obviously I don't recall the figures. Its been a year.

A little context please:

Broad and Finn bowled rubbish in the 1st innings and Anderson was superb. His 5 fer was the sole reason England were not out of the match completely in spite of Agar's 98.

Siddle bowled really well too but Pattinson although a little expensive, bowled extremely well and deserved a 5 fer himself. Starc was solid if not spectacular.

In the second innings, Broad was decent but Finn was quite pedestrian again. Swann didn't do much in both innings.

Anderson was the sole reason England won that match. It was a true match winning effort, particularly that crucial wicket of Brad Haddin.

I really pity your knowledge of the game if you think Siddle outbowled him in this match or if they weren't fantastic spells by Anderson.

A little perception goes a long way.

And he said 6/8 doesn't count because Jimmy couldnt do it.

Did you check the Australian batting line-up for that match? Cowan, Watson, Rogers, Hughes. Steyn would have eaten them alive in those cloudy conditions.

How many examples do you want? I don't happen to remember how many runs or how many wickets because I more focused on watching the game and not the stats. I don't even remember the exact figures of Pakistani bowlers.

James Anderson has serious haters.

Anyways, I respect others' opinions so no let's avoid 20000000 trolling posts :)

How many examples do you want? I don't happen to remember how many runs or how many wickets because I more focused on watching the game and not the stats. I don't even remember the exact figures of Pakistani bowlers.

When I watch something special, I remember everything from it. can't blame you because Anderson spells are specials only in the sense that it rarely happens

I remember the spells and didn't jump to cricinfo for reference, obviously I don't recall the figures. Its been a year.

A little context please:

Broad and Finn bowled rubbish in the 1st innings and Anderson was superb. His 5 fer was the sole reason England were not out of the match completely in spite of Agar's 98.

Siddle bowled really well too but Pattinson although a little expensive, bowled extremely well and deserved a 5 fer himself. Starc was solid if not spectacular.

In the second innings, Broad was decent but Finn was quite pedestrian again. Swann didn't do much in both innings.

Anderson was the sole reason England won that match. It was a true match winning effort, particularly that crucial wicket of Brad Haddin.

I really pity your knowledge of the game if you think Siddle outbowled him in this match or if they weren't fantastic spells by Anderson.

A little perception goes a long way.

So all that explanation to justify Anderson's greatest spell ever. I won't even get into correcting some of the exaggeration that you have typicaly posted here.

For Steyn, I'll say this:

6/8

I only remember the quality of the bowling, not figures like average, SR, ER etc etc.

A 3 fer can be better than a 6 fer for me, depending on the quality of bowling.

Jimmy's is a decent bowler, nothing more.
Even Harmison bowled some devastating spells.

I think mamoon thinks all the 5ers are of same quality.

Last edited:
Lol, exaggeration. Ask anyone who has watched the match and doesn't feast on cricinfo like you.

The only exaggeration here is 'Siddle outbowled him'.

Yeah like Steyn ate them alive in South Africa.

Philander didn't leave any.

Steyn > Philander = Johnson > Broad > Anderson in terms of spell quality

Anyone without any biases can easily see this.

Jimmy is a very good bowler. Decent bowlers are the likes of Siddle.

Philander ranks lowest in terms of spell quality compared to the other bowlers and Harris deserves a mention as well.

Anderson's effort in Trent Bridge last summer was better than Steyn's 6/8, all things considered.

Lol, exaggeration. Ask anyone who has watched the match and doesn't feast on cricinfo like you.

The only exaggeration here is 'Siddle outbowled him'.

Already told you that I watched that match. Anderson's spells just don't stick to the mind, way too generic.

A couple of top order wickets with the new ball, then three more with the second new ball or against the tail.

See those are good spells from Jimmy but they are not on par with Steyns and MJs.

Philander ranks lowest in terms of spell quality compared to the other bowlers and Harris deserves a mention as well.

Wrong. At his absolute he was averaging in the teens and taking teams apart for 2 digit scores.

If a great match winning performance like that doesn't stick in your mind, what can I say? and the tail was threatening to take the match away from England before Anderson came back and wiped the floor with them.

He was the only difference in that match and if you think it wasn't a great performance, we have nothing further to discuss. Your opinion.

In terms of impact yes but in terms of deliveries, I prefer the spells vs NZ and SL.

Why Ambrose's 7-1 being talked about is because it was quick and devastating. Steyn and MJ have bowled spells that were devastating. Jimmy can bowl good spells but never devastating ones.

If a great match winning performance like that doesn't stick in your mind, what can I say? and the tail was threatening to take the match away from England before Anderson came back and wiped the floor with them.

He was the only difference in that match and if you think it wasn't a great performance, we have nothing further to discuss. Your opinion.

Nice copout :farhat. I never said it wasn't great. But better than the spells of these other bowlers, it was not.

Everything about Anderson is so overrated. He's a good bowler, with a good peak, good skills, good attitude but nothing more. He's just good.

Back