Jay Shah invites BCB, SLC, ACB but not PCB to attend the IPL final and then discuss Asia Cup

Eh, at least it's some ODI practise before the WC.

PCB have done well. Like I said before, a 4 team tournament without Pakistan was a big statement. And that's resulted in the approval of the hybrid model.

Credit where it is due. The PCB have done well.

The Asian Cricket Council headed by BCCI secretary Jay Shah could accept PCB chairman Najam Sethi's proposed Hybrid Model for conducting four non-India Asia Cup games in Pakistan while the rest of the matches will be played in Sri Lanka's Galle and Pallekele.

The ACC is likely to make a formal announcement on Tuesday and once the Hybrid Model is officially accepted, decks will be cleared for Pakistan team's travel to India for the ODI World Cup scheduled in October-November, including playing in Ahmedabad.

"Oman Cricket board chief Pankaj Khimji, one of the respected ACC executive board members, was entrusted to find a solution as most countries didn't want a Hybrid Model. But as of now four non-India games -- Pakistan vs Nepal, Bangladesh vs Afghanistan, Afghanistan vs Sri Lanka and Sri Lanka vs Bangladesh -- will be held at the Gadaffi Stadium in Lahore. The two India vs Pakistan games and all other Super Four Games will be held in either Pallekele or Galle," an ACC board member told PTI.

The Asia Cup is scheduled to be held in September.

It is understood that once ICC CEO Geoff Allardice and chairman Greg Barclay visited Karachi to meet Sethi, it was decided that Pakistan won't set any conditions to come for the World Cup, provided four games are held in the country as they have the hosting rights.

Playing a tournament without Pakistan would have meant that the broadcasters would be giving half the amount committed for the tournament because of two assured Indo-Pak games and may be a chance of a third, if the two teams reach the final.

The solution looked the most feasible one as this now will lead to Pakistan coming to India without setting any pre-conditions and the much-awaited schedule for the ODI World Cup will be released early next week.

India will probably play their World Cup match against Pakistan at the Narendra Modi stadium in Ahmedabad. Pakistan's remaining matches could be held in Chennai and Hyderabad.

https://m.rediff.com/cricket/report...-matches-to-be-held-in-sri-lanka/20230611.htm

Hold up a second.

I thought Pakistan would only travel to India for the World Cup if given permission by the Pakistan Gov based upon security etc?

There was no mention of Hybrid Model for not travelling to India? or are we going to have a Hybrid Model in World Cup also?

Hold up a second.

I thought Pakistan would only travel to India for the World Cup if given permission by the Pakistan Gov based upon security etc?

There was no mention of Hybrid Model for not travelling to India? or are we going to have a Hybrid Model in World Cup also?

If wishes were horses.....

Hold up a second.

No hybrid model for the WC and Pakistan will not put any preconditions for its participation in the WC in India. That's the deal i hear.

PCB have done well. Like I said before, a 4 team tournament without Pakistan was a big statement. And that's resulted in the approval of the hybrid model.

Credit where it is due. The PCB have done well.

No.

PCB had to agree that they will go to India for the WC and there would be no ifs and buts.

Also some say that the hybrid model will apply to CT 2025 too and PCB will send its team to India for all ICC events.

Basically India won't visit Pakistan. Pakistan will get a few token matches, while Pakistan will visit India unconditionally.

I wonder what the real Pak fans will gain by watching their team play Nepal in Pakistan.

Sethi has made it plain to the ICC that Pakistan would not play at Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad during the World Cup 2023 unless it is the final, according to the Press Trust of India, quoting a PCB source.

Full article:

The International Cricket Council (ICC) Chairman Greg Barclay and Chief Executive Officer Geoff Allardice have been informed by Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Management Committee Chairman Najam Sethi that the Men in Green will not play their ICC ODI World Cup matches in Ahmedabad.

Sethi has made it plain to the ICC that Pakistan would not play at Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad during the World Cup 2023 unless it is the final, according to the Press Trust of India, quoting a PCB source.

“Sethi has conveyed to Barclay and Allardice that Pakistan doesn’t want its matches to be scheduled in Ahmedabad unless it is a knock-out game like final,” PTI quoted a source.

“He requested ICC to schedule their games in Chennai, Bengaluru, and Kolkata if the national team gets clearance from the Pakistan government to travel to India for the global event scheduled in October and November,” the source further added.

The India vs Pakistan World Cup 2023 match has been proposed for the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). PCB is hesitant about the location, though.

To meet Sethi, the ICC leaders came to Lahore earlier this week. When they got home, they praised Pakistan for being a safe place for sports and said they were pleased with the country’s capability to host the Champions Trophy 2025.

In addition, the ICC delegation hinted at intervening between the PCB and the BCCI while requesting Pakistan’s assurance of their participation in the forthcoming World Cup, which is slated to take place in October and November in India this year.

There is a probability that Pakistan won’t travel to the adjacent nation to play in the 50-over format mega tournament after India declined to visit to Pakistan for the Asia Cup 2023. At the end of this month, a decision about the Asia Cup is anticipated.

Link: https://www.insidesport.in/world-cu...ahmedabad-pcb-informs-icc-of-their-inability/

Last edited by a moderator:
Good that there is an agreement

PCB will remain official organizer of Asia cup and Pakistan will play all matches in home ground except the ones against India including any KO matches

PCB will send team to WC in India.

BCCI to play their matches at the venue of their liking except group level match against Pakistan won't be in Ahmedabad.

Not ideal or fair deal in a true sense but good that an understanding is reached without going for a complete divorce.

[MENTION=2099]Cricket[/MENTION] joshila

So yeh icc intervene because everyone is under icc. Lol this guy kept whining as if acc can do anything it wanted

I wonder what the real Pak fans will gain by watching their team play Nepal in Pakistan.

The idea of asia cup is to show that we cane have multiple international teams coming to pakistan

But why Pak vs Nepal in Pakistan?
Why not against Afg, BD or SL? At least Pak fans would enjoy match against one of the three than Nepal.
(No disrespect intended to Nepalese team)

Pakistan should have played all their matches except the one with India in Pakistan

But why Pak vs Nepal in Pakistan?
Why not against Afg, BD or SL? At least Pak fans would enjoy match against one of the three than Nepal.
(No disrespect intended to Nepalese team)

Too much travel most likely. I would imagine a flight from Lahore to Colombo is at least 3 hours if not 4. And Nepal have to be in Pakistan's group because of the need to have maximum India-Pak matches.

At any rate, this is the best possible outcome. Asia Cup hosted in hybrid model, no need to play in UAE's heat, India plays, and most importantly Pak plays in WC.

Hopefully this will not raise any issues for the CT in 2025 either. India to play at neutral venue, while other 7 teams play in Pakistan.

Too much travel most likely. I would imagine a flight from Lahore to Colombo is at least 3 hours if not 4. And Nepal have to be in Pakistan's group because of the need to have maximum India-Pak matches.

At any rate, this is the best possible outcome. Asia Cup hosted in hybrid model, no need to play in UAE's heat, India plays, and most importantly Pak plays in WC.

Hopefully this will not raise any issues for the CT in 2025 either. India to play at neutral venue, while other 7 teams play in Pakistan.

There won't be a neutral venue for CT25. All games will be held in Pakistan with or without India.

It's good that everyone ended up getting what they wanted but...

This could have been even better for everyone involved if say instead of Sri Lanka, they chose venues in North-West India (Mohali, Delhi,Jaipur etc) to host just the India games. Would have made things so much more easier. Much lesser travel team allowing teams to go back and forth and most importantly, it would have allowed Pakistan to host a bulk of super 4 games and even the final if it didn't involve India.

Don't know the air travel logistics between the two countries but this could certainly have been given a thought about.

There won't be a neutral venue for CT25. All games will be held in Pakistan with or without India.

:91:

How do people still actually take time to write these posts?

For the 1000th time - India aren't visiting Pakistan for atleast another decade. There's not going to be an ICC tournament without India for a long long time to come. You're only setting yourselves up for disappointment, if you actually believe what you wrote.

As per article on dawn, this agreement does not include Pakistan touring India for WC.

I see Indians stating this agreement states Pakistan is traveling for the WC, when every article I have read on this is is for the Asia Cup only.

It is a sort of a win for Sethi, but going by the way things are unfolding I think Sethi was never serious about boycotting the World Cup. It was just loose talk. Of course it is a sensible decision and I would love to see Pak at the WC, but such loose talk doesn't reflect well on a chairman and people won't take such a person seriously henceforth.

Good news of course is Pakistan's participation at the WC and the Asia Cup which is what the fans at the end of the day want to see.

Can someone explain to me the new drama of not wanting to play in Ahmedabad?

Why?

It is one of the most developed cities in India with worlds biggest cricket stadium. Is the name Narendra Modi stadium bothering PCB?

This is another poor but shrewd attempt by politician Sethi. He is clearly trying to create internal rift in India by portraying Ahmedabad is more extremist to muslims compared to Kolkata, Chennai and Bangalore. We all know it is not the case. But If BCCI agrees to this, definitely Indian opposition parties will raise this in parliament against BJP sarkar.

Najam Sethi is playing very smart and only intelligent ones can understand the inner motive of all his moves. He is giving an impression of PCB being victim and making all political demands. First hybrid model and now Ahmedabad.

BCCI should immidiately reject any such demands and if they can't, Indian Govt need to intervene ASAP. I think its best for PCB to skip this world cup and prepare for Australia tour and T20 WC 2024. But lets be honest, skipping WC was never the intention of PCB. Under the garb of 'will skip world cup' threat, they wanted to make these political demands.

:najam

you probably dont understand what this means. and i wont even bother arguing with you

Yeah he has doesnt know what it means for the Lahoriis to see Pakistan play Nepal at the Gaddafi Stadium.

[MENTION=2099]Cricket[/MENTION] joshila

So yeh icc intervene because everyone is under icc. Lol this guy kept whining as if acc can do anything it wanted

Where did ICC intervene? PCB begged ICC to intervene. But ICC cannot influence BCCI and the ICC knows it.

Likely deal is that while India won't visit Pakistan and play its matches at neutral venues for Asia Cup and CT. Pakistan will visit India for ICC matches unconditionally. In return few token matches will be played in Pakistan.

Where did ICC intervene? PCB begged ICC to intervene. But ICC cannot influence BCCI and the ICC knows it.

Likely deal is that while India won't visit Pakistan and play its matches at neutral venues for Asia Cup and CT. Pakistan will visit India for ICC matches unconditionally. In return few token matches will be played in Pakistan.

CT will be played at Pakistan no neutral venue
Otherwise tournament will continue without BCCI

Last edited:
As per reports , Pakistan vs Nepal HKG will be played in Pakistan rest of Asia Cup will be done in Srilanka after all the hue and cry Najam Sethi has agreed as he was about to lose his job, the power of BCCI almost got him sacked

As per reports , Pakistan vs Nepal HKG will be played in Pakistan rest of Asia Cup will be done in Srilanka after all the hue and cry Najam Sethi has agreed as he was about to lose his job, the power of BCCI almost got him sacked

great opportunity for Babar and Rizwan to inflate their stats and strike rates for the rest of the tournament and then come out as decent by the end of it

great opportunity for Babar and Rizwan to inflate their stats and strike rates for the rest of the tournament and then come out as decent by the end of it

A great present to the nation by those paragons of great management and international negotiating skills - The PCB admin under Najam Sethi.

Yeah I now your pain after losing another final 😂

Your comment is amusing, your team hasn't been close to a WTC final. Infact Pakistan didn't win a home series at home against Australia England and New-Zealand.

I didn't watch the final except for a few overs in the second innings. My views on this Indian team is well known.

So you are saying the ICC will drop BCCI and proceed with the rest?

I would like to see that happen. Actually, let's see if the ICC makes even a statement saying it is considering such a possibility.

So you are saying the ICC will drop BCCI and proceed with the rest?

I would like to see that happen. Actually, let's see if the ICC makes even a statement saying it is considering such a possibility.

Yeah hopefully soon it will happen

Shahbaz Sharif told Najam Sethi that the decision to play in the WC in India is the Pakistani govts domain and he shouldn't be commenting on it in interviews and in the press.

Your comment is amusing, your team hasn't been close to a WTC final. Infact Pakistan didn't win a home series at home against Australia England and New-Zealand.

I didn't watch the final except for a few overs in the second innings. My views on this Indian team is well known.

You make it seem like India and BCCI are all so powerful so if the case why another loss by the all powerful India.

Credit to India for making the finals but it's always the same story make the finals or semifinals and then end up choking

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]

What do you think of Sethi’s performance as chairman. You were very vocal when it came to Wasim Khan but stay quiet when your favourite chairman has been a complete failure.

Sethi has now failed to convince SL, Afg and Ban to play in Pakistan.

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]

What do you think of Sethi’s performance as chairman. You were very vocal when it came to Wasim Khan but stay quiet when your favourite chairman has been a complete failure.

Sethi has now failed to convince SL, Afg and Ban to play in Pakistan.

Has he? I thought the latest news is that the hybrid model will be accepted?

The whole system is flawed when this Patron in Chief mechanism and bogus voting via clubs to get seats at BoG PCB still working Pre-East India Co. method. The lobbies in PCB are so powerful yet so helpless

Seems a compromise has been reached.

So you were very confident a few days ago regarding how any chance of compromise was lost when PCB threatened participation in the 2023 WC and how a quad series between India, Bangladesh, SL and Afg would make a lot of money for BCCI

So what changed??

So you were very confident a few days ago regarding how any chance of compromise was lost when PCB threatened participation in the 2023 WC and how a quad series between India, Bangladesh, SL and Afg would make a lot of money for BCCI

So what changed??

Pakistan's acceptance of unconventional travel to India

So that was always the original plan - since we were not going to boycott an ICC tournament..

So again I asked what changed?

Are you sure? failed PCB chairman Wasim Khan was making noise at ICC, Najam sethi was hinting at it with Indian youtubers. It sounds more like, PCB got called into principals office and told to behave and good little children that they are, looks like they are complying. Congratulations on hosting Nepal and Honk kong.

Are you sure? failed PCB chairman Wasim Khan was making noise at ICC, Najam sethi was hinting at it with Indian youtubers. It sounds more like, PCB got called into principals office and told to behave and good little children that they are, looks like they are complying. Congratulations on hosting Nepal and Honk kong.

The hubris and arrogance is strong with this one, on a rumour that's probably not true no less.

Then the compromise is also a rumour because it also originated in the Indian media.

No. It's being reported in Pakistani media

When it comes to Pakistan and Indian media, there is a golden rule that needs to be followed. If something about Pakistan is only being reported in India, it's probably a lie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Am all for Pak getting an opportunity to host wtv they want in their backyard without IND giving them pain but your comment made me LOL hard. ICC will cut ties with PAK 100x before doing it with IND. As long as IND is the superpower in World cricket, your comment will be laughed at, even by your own countrymen.

Am all for Pak getting an opportunity to host wtv they want in their backyard without IND giving them pain but your comment made me LOL hard. ICC will cut ties with PAK 100x before doing it with IND. As long as IND is the superpower in World cricket, your comment will be laughed at, even by your own countrymen.

Actually your comment also made me LOL hard. We failed to win yet another ICC tournament but still we are a superpower in world cricket lol. We are a superpower only in background cricket politics. On the field we are just like any other team because we aren't setting the international cricket on fire with our performances. :inti

Actually your comment also made me LOL hard. We failed to win yet another ICC tournament but still we are a superpower in world cricket lol. We are a superpower only in background cricket politics. On the field we are just like any other team because we aren't setting the international cricket on fire with our performances. :inti

Superpower $$$ moneywise. Not that hard to understand ...

ICC is not stupid. Let's say tomorrow PAK is the superpower of cricket (not in ranking/not in how many trophies they brought home/but money-wise), every country would ditch India for PAK and visit Pak day and night. No one will even mention the word "Fear". Money talks, be it in a positive or a negative outcome.

When it comes to Pakistan and Indian media, there is a golden rule that needs to be followed. If something about Pakistan is only being reported in India, it's probably a lie.

Indian media is worse. 90% of them are sellouts and I am being generous with that number here. :inti

The original report was from PTI. Everybody got it from there.

Just that pakistani media is reporting what favours them.

Why will BCCI agree to any comprise if they don't get what they want.

No we only laugh at comments from Indians

Mohammad Amir speaking on his YT Channel:

"The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is being completely written off, which means it is being treated disrespectfully. It's like the cricket board, or Pakistan cricket itself, has no worth at all, and they [BCCI] are making continuous efforts to prove that,"

"It is being proven that whatever you do, it doesn't affect us, and it's like if you tell a child not to eat a chocolate, he will say I will eat it and will continue to say the same thing. Whenever PCB says to do this or that, BCCI comes up with various lame excuses like bad weather, the expenses are too high, security reasons,"

"There is only one model, and that is cricket. Let it stay right; whether it's happening in Pakistan, India, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, or Bangladesh, please let it happen peacefully behaving like stubborn children. If someone creates a security issue even in Pakistan, the ICC team was here four days ago; I was also there at the National Cricket Academy. PCB provided them with such hospitality,"

Back