Jurgen Klopp to call time on his association with Liverpool after end of 2023/24 season

Who could be the potential replacement for Jurgen Klopp after his exit from LFC?

• Diego Simeone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

• Jose Mourinho

• Roberto De Zerbi

• Graham Potter

• Total voters
European Royalty got humbled in the 2nd tier competition at the Famous Anfield under the lights European night blah blah blah allez allez allez atmosphere.

God forbid Norbat Klopp ends up with only Coca Cola cup in his final season... same as ETH's 1st season
@KingKhanWC @Kroll @PakLFC

Once you all come out of hiding 🤭 feel free to respond

@KingKhanWC @Kroll @PakLFC

Once you all come out of hiding 🤭 feel free to respond

I will write a response on their behalf.

We have won 6 champions league. Arsenal have none.

We have won the most trophies by British clubs

We competed with City.

We weren't bothered about the Europa league anyway.

We have "INSERT HISTORICAL COMMENT HERE"

I will write a response on their behalf.

We have won 6 champions league. Arsenal have none.

We have won the most trophies by British clubs

We competed with City.

We weren't bothered about the Europa league anyway.

We have "INSERT HISTORICAL COMMENT HERE"
FB_IMG_1712943400507.jpg

Oh dear the bottling continues, fitting end to klopps reign as manager 🤣🤭

Jürgen Klopp analysed the reasons behind a below-par performance from Liverpool after his side lost 1-0 to Crystal Palace at Anfield

Eberechi Eze's 14th-minute goal was the difference on Sunday as the Reds' Premier League title ambitions were dealt a blow.

Klopp's team hit the woodwork through Wataru Endo and spurned several clear-cut chances to haul themselves back into the contest, meaning they suffered back-to-back home defeats following Thursday’s reverse to Atalanta.

On whether Liverpool have 'lacked conviction' in their recent fixtures…

I think the problem is a little bit that I am not 100 per cent sure that in general how we dealt with United games particularly helped. I mean, we lost the game in the cup and it was like a catastrophe because we were that good and lost it anyway. Then we draw there [in the league], were really good for a long spell and just drew it – that's now not the reason for today, it’s a few weeks back anyway, but you asked about the last few weeks. So, the problems we had in the United games were completely different to the things we had today. Yes, the goals we conceded are too easy, that's probably a general thing that is true.

So, we all – players included, me included – we expected a reaction and we saw a reaction that we lost in that game [against Atalanta] more than only the game a little bit. It didn't help, you could just see, and on top of that the game before at United where we lost points. We just were always too wide and the goal we conceded, Eze ends up completely free in the box – that cannot happen. But we had other moments when they didn't end up in front of our goal where we were just not together. So, let me say it like this: if you press with 80 per cent you better don't [do it at all], because that makes no sense then because we had ‘here and there’. I think Curtis was really going for it, following through, stuff like that, besides that the first line were a bit too far away from each other, no real impulse. Macca and Wataru, maybe normal, didn't really follow in as well and the last line was too deep as well.

So, that's where Crystal Palace had too much possession. In these moments we had to run in the wrong direction, we were 1-0 down and obviously it doesn't feel great. You cannot gain momentum in these moments. So, half-time, 1-0 down – fine, that's how it is. Then obviously the second half is a really good home game, it's a really good game. I'm not sure they had chances really but we had a lot, the big ones, the four where everybody would think, 'That should be a goal,' and others where we were nearly there. So, we had momentum, we were in the game and we could put them under pressure. And that's now how it is, we showed the right reaction in the game, we didn't give in or whatever, or think, 'That's another day off.' Not at all, the boys really tried hard but in the end it was not enough, we have to admit that as well. The 'conviction' I talked about, our formation was never really there for causing Palace problems. The diagonal balls they play you can only defend by putting the guy on the ball under pressure, there is no other chance to do that. We didn't do that and that means they can play and then the whole formation is constantly making runs – we do it then to defend them, but it's not for winning the ball, it's just for defending them and that's a big difference.

On dropping five points in the last two league games...

It's easy, I understand 100 per cent, of course you have to ask these questions – what does it mean for the title race and stuff like this. I am not dumb, I know that. The answer is pretty easy: if we play like we did in the first half, why should we win the league? If you play like in the second half, we can win football games. So if we can win football games then we will see how many we can win. We have to be around when the other guys now struggle, if they struggle, so that's how it is. For us, obviously we have to win football games anyway.

We now have a string of four away games, if I'm right, and that would have been tough anyway, it will be tough and we know that. That's clear that we have to deal with that now and that's the easy thing. There is nothing else really to say. The criticism in these moments is completely fine and absolutely right, it's all about how we deal with it. In the first half we didn't deal particularly well with the situation, but second half we pulled ourselves together and should have won the game but didn't do, I saw the result. That's it.

On whether 'fatigue is setting in' within the squad...

I understand as well, I see the same game like you do. Did Wataru [Endo] and Macca [Alexis Mac Allister] now play a little bit too much in the last few weeks? Maybe, they were the two most-used [players], especially Macca. The other guys came back from injury. I would say Curtis [Jones] today was really good. Dom [Szoboszlai] came back from injury, stuff like this, kind of rhythm. I think for the situation Trent [Alexander-Arnold] is in, that was really good but I don't think he could now play 120 minutes, let me say it like that. Robbo [Andy Robertson] came back from injury. All these kind of things, so a couple of players had to play a lot and a couple of players always were interrupted – that's a bit the situation. It's actually not too interesting for us if we find now the real answer. We just have to make sure that we don't think about where we are coming from – whether they are injured or whether they are not – and we just have to make sure we find a way to beat the specific opponent in front of us. It's always like this.

For winning, as a manager you find a lot of explanations, 'This was great, this was great.' When you lose, it's not as easy to find these things and they might be obvious but it's not about now putting the finger into that or that or that. The solution is always being really together on the pitch for us. Where we are, we got because we were against the ball an absolute machine, and that's what we have to be. In that moment, we have the rhythm, we have the momentum in the game, it's difficult for the opponent, they don't feel great, we feel much better and then these boys can really play football. Today they showed in a really difficult situation that they can do that, and that was good. But it doesn't feel great anyway because we lost the game and we planned this day completely differently. But here we are and, how I said, we have to deal with that.

Former Bayern Munich, Monaco and Wolfsburg coach Niko Kovac is emerging as a surprise name under consideration to succeed Jurgen Klopp as Liverpool boss.

Source: Daily Mail

Xabi Alonso drops hint on Liverpool U-turn after clarifying Bayer Leverkusen future

Bayer Leverkusen have just claimed their first Bundesliga title but Xabi Alonso admits he "doesn't know what it means for the future".

The Spaniard masterminded the team's first-ever league triumph, which was sealed with a 5-0 win over Werder Bremen on Sunday. Leverkusen are currently yet to lose a game all season as they harbour hopes of also claiming the German Cup and the Europa League.

Alonso has been able to end Bayern's 11-year dominance of the Bundesliga and those efforts have caught the attention of some of Europe's biggest names. The Bavarians and Liverpool - two of Alonso's former teams - are eyeing new managers for next season.

The 42-year-old though has confirmed he's remaining at Leverkusen, yet came out with a comment that has raised eyebrows as he celebrated his team's title triumph.

He said: “When I feel that the team is behind me, the feeling that they want to believe, it’s much easier. That was my great enjoyment, that I had the feeling that the team was really committed, and once you have that it’s much easier. I don’t know what it will mean for the future, but at the moment it feels pretty great.”

Alonso recently claimed, despite interest and speculation linking him with moves elsewhere, that he felt remaining in his current role was the best thing he could do. He's still in his first major job as a manager and claimed there was more work to do at Leverkusen.

“Last week I had a meeting [with club officials] and informed them of the decision to continue being coach of Bayer Leverkusen," he said. "After lot of talks about my future, I used the break to reflect and make my decision. I feel this is the right place to be for me as a young coach. My job at Bayer is not over. I want to help the club, help the players to develop, the board is great … it’s all fantastic here.”

Alonso is tipped to eventually takeover at one of the clubs he previously played at. Liverpool need to replace Jurgen Klopp whilst Bayern are seeking someone to take over from Thomas Tuchel. Real Madrid, another of Alonso's previous clubs, have Carlo Ancelotti tied down.

Bayern’s new sporting director Max Eberl paid specific tribute to Alonso after Leverkusen's title was confirmed. He said: “Your football has thrilled the Bundesliga. FC Bayern’s streak has been snapped, but we will now put everything toward getting on the attack again.”

Last edited:
Slot a leading candidate to succeed Klopp

Feyenoord's Arne Slot is a leading candidate to take over as Liverpool manager from Jurgen Klopp.

Klopp announced in January he would leave Anfield at the end of the season and the Reds have been conducting extensive research around a number of candidates.

The 45-year-old, who led Feyenoord to the 2022-23 Eredivisie title, has emerged as a candidate who fits Liverpool's criteria.

Feyenoord have won the Dutch Cup this season and are second in the Eredivisie.

The decision to appoint Slot has not been made but he has become a strong candidate to succeed Klopp.

He was linked with Leeds United after they sacked manager Jesse Marsch, while Slot also ruled himself out of contention for the Tottenham Hotspur job last summer before Ange Postecoglou took over.

Slot then extended his contract with Feyenoord until 2026.

At the time he was being linked with Spurs, he said: "The next step will not be another club in Holland. If that is the next step, I’ve failed completely in the upcoming few years.

"A normal next step would be to go abroad and I’ve always said that the best league in the world is the Premier League."

The attacking style of Slot, who is also thought to be interesting Barcelona and Bayern Munich, and his ability to develop players are believed to appeal to Liverpool.

Liverpool open talks with Feyenoord to bring Arne Slot to Anfield as Jurgen Klopp successor

Liverpool have opened talks with Feyenoord over a deal to bring Arne Slot to Anfield.

Slot quickly emerged as a leading contender to replace Jurgen Klopp, who will leave his position as manager at the end of the season.

talkSPORT understands that Feyenoord want around £8.6million for Slot and he does not have a release clause in his contract.

Klopp announced his decision to step down in January and Liverpool have been sounding out possible replacements.

Liverpool have now entered into negotiations with the Eredivisie club, and Slot is believed to be keen to join.

The 45-year-old has won two trophies since arriving at Feyenoord in 2021.

He led them to the Eredivisie title last season and lifted the club their 14th KNVB Cup.

Slot is a highly-rated manager in Europe and was even Tottenham's top choice last summer.

He actually turned Spurs down to stay in the Netherlands before penning a new contract. The north London club eventually turned to Ange Postecoglou.

talkSPORT reported on Monday that Sporting's Ruben Amorim is not viewed as a likely candidate to take over at Anfield when Klopp leaves this summer.

Wolves boss Gary O'Neil is also not in the running despite reports to the contrary.

Liverpool are currently second in the Premier League and look to win another league title for the outgoing Klopp.

If they win the Merseyside derby on Wednesday, which is exclusively live on talkSPORT, they will go level on points with top place Arsenal.

Last edited:
An anti-climatic end to a highly overrated era.

He might be a cult hero for Liverpool fans but he has a nothing legacy in English football.

1 league title in 10 years when he has had a group of elite players for 5-6 years is simply not good enough.

Jurgen had his moments as manager of LFC no doubt about it. I will remember him as someone who lost two CL finals and finished second in the league by one point. Ultimately, winning us the title after thirty years makes him a legend at the club.

Jurgen had his moments as manager of LFC no doubt about it. I will remember him as someone who lost two CL finals and finished second in the league by one point. Ultimately, winning us the title after thirty years makes him a legend at the club.
He’s done really well. A champions league and a premier trophy is great. And some other domestic trophies. He was up against the best manager in the world with far more funds.

Think it’s a little ridiculous how people are talking about him. The only manager that even challenged pep in that period despite not having the same budget as the rest.

Great manager.

An anti-climatic end to a highly overrated era.

He might be a cult hero for Liverpool fans but he has a nothing legacy in English football.

1 league title in 10 years when he has had a group of elite players for 5-6 years is simply not good enough.
I'm no fan of Klopp, used to like him at first but over time because very unlikeable.

His behaviour on the touchline, the way he is with reporters and his digs at the opposition if they have the audacity to try and take any points off them.

Having said all that to claim he has a nothing legacy in English football is absurd. You either don't like the guy and are allowing that to cloud your judgement or you are not at all in touch with football in this country.

He won all trophies possible (Europa League aside) and he delivered Liverpool their first league title in 30 years. He also came second in the absolute narrowest of margins on a couple of other occasions. Just finishing behind City/Pep is nothing to be ashamed of, especially when it was done with less resources.

I'm no fan of Klopp, used to like him at first but over time because very unlikeable.

His behaviour on the touchline, the way he is with reporters and his digs at the opposition if they have the audacity to try and take any points off them.

Having said all that to claim he has a nothing legacy in English football is absurd. You either don't like the guy and are allowing that to cloud your judgement or you are not at all in touch with football in this country.

He won all trophies possible (Europa League aside) and he delivered Liverpool their first league title in 30 years. He also came second in the absolute narrowest of margins on a couple of other occasions. Just finishing behind City/Pep is nothing to be ashamed of, especially when it was done with less resources.
Klopp should have won at least two more league titles in the last 5 years with the players that he has had at his disposal.

This City excuse is a little overdone when you are boasting the likes of Salah, Van Dijk, Trent, Mane, Alisson, Fabinho etc. in your team and you also got to spent 50m+ on a backup midfielder like Keita who turned out to be a donkey. Not to mention he wasted 80m+ on Nunez.

People also conveniently forget that in the last four years, he has had to rubbish seasons in the league where he scraped into the top four (2021-22) and finished fifth (2022-23).

Having two such seasons in the space of four years with a group of players capable of winning the league is simply not acceptable.

Therefore, I will stick to my assessment that Klopp is one of the most overrated and glorified managers the PL has ever seen and his legacy is barely more significant than the likes of Conte, Tuchel, Ranieri, Ancelotti, Dalglish and nowhere near the same ballpark as SAF, Arsene, Mourinho and Pep.

He gets way too much credit for being a bridesmaid to Pep. I completely understand why he is a cult hero for Liverpool fans considering the fact that he orchestrated their most successful period in the PL era, but there is no reason for non-Liverpool fans to wax lyrical about his legacy in English football when he has done just about the bare minimum with the elite players that he had at his disposal.

Two major trophies in 10 years is not a good look when you have had some of Liverpool’s greatest ever players in your team for the better part of the decade.

I would give him a 7/10 at best and I haven’t seen anyone make a credible argument about why it is justified for him to have not won more with the players that he has had without using the same old lazy excuse of Man City.

He’s done really well. A champions league and a premier trophy is great. And some other domestic trophies. He was up against the best manager in the world with far more funds.

Think it’s a little ridiculous how people are talking about him. The only manager that even challenged pep in that period despite not having the same budget as the rest.

Great manager.
Fickle fans often give knee-jerk reactions after a few bad results. It does not take much for fans to bring managers to farsh from arsh! Jurgen Klopp won the league something that us fans craved for more then anything else. This makes him a legend despite his short comings the man's team always played with their heart on their sleeves. Like himself his team too seem to have run out of energy, it is time for a recharge.

If Jurgen stays in the game I feel he may return to Anfield one day for a second spell. It is hardly a disastrous season when at worst we will finish third in the league and winners of the Carabao Cup. Lets not forget some seasons back he won us the Champions League too. I can see that he is tired and needs a break.

Whoever the next manager is needs to learn quickly not to mention the q word.

When that word is mentioned the wheels come off quite quickly.

Looking forward to the Klopp breakdown if they don't win their Saturday Midday kick off this weekend

Slot philosophy could suit Liverpool - Van Dijk​

Liverpool captain Virgil van Dijk believes prospective new Reds manager Arne Slot's playing philosophy could be suited to the Anfield club.

The Merseysiders are in talks to appoint the Feyenoord boss as a replacement for Jurgen Klopp, who will be leaving at the end of the season.

"I find it hard to answer of course, but I think Arne Slot is perhaps one of the better Dutch coaches at this moment," Van Dijk told Viaplay, external following his side's 2-0 defeat at Everton on Wednesday.

He said of his fellow Dutchman: "I think the way of playing and the philosophy he has, that he could be a Liverpool coach.

"Only I think from what I read and hear is that it's still far from being completed. We shall see."

Slot led Feyenoord to the 2022-23 Eredivisie title and has emerged as a candidate who fits Liverpool's criteria in their search for a new manager.

Feyenoord have won the Dutch Cup this season and are second in the Eredivisie, nine points behind PSV with four games to go.

The attacking style of Slot and his ability to develop players, along with his personality, are believed to have appealed to Liverpool.

Klopp has been in charge of the Reds since October 2015 but announced in January that he would be leaving at the end of the season.

Klopp should have won at least two more league titles in the last 5 years with the players that he has had at his disposal.

This City excuse is a little overdone when you are boasting the likes of Salah, Van Dijk, Trent, Mane, Alisson, Fabinho etc. in your team and you also got to spent 50m+ on a backup midfielder like Keita who turned out to be a donkey. Not to mention he wasted 80m+ on Nunez.

People also conveniently forget that in the last four years, he has had to rubbish seasons in the league where he scraped into the top four (2021-22) and finished fifth (2022-23).

Having two such seasons in the space of four years with a group of players capable of winning the league is simply not acceptable.

Therefore, I will stick to my assessment that Klopp is one of the most overrated and glorified managers the PL has ever seen and his legacy is barely more significant than the likes of Conte, Tuchel, Ranieri, Ancelotti, Dalglish and nowhere near the same ballpark as SAF, Arsene, Mourinho and Pep.

He gets way too much credit for being a bridesmaid to Pep. I completely understand why he is a cult hero for Liverpool fans considering the fact that he orchestrated their most successful period in the PL era, but there is no reason for non-Liverpool fans to wax lyrical about his legacy in English football when he has done just about the bare minimum with the elite players that he had at his disposal.

Two major trophies in 10 years is not a good look when you have had some of Liverpool’s greatest ever players in your team for the better part of the decade.

I would give him a 7/10 at best and I haven’t seen anyone make a credible argument about why it is justified for him to have not won more with the players that he has had without using the same old lazy excuse of Man City.

There's a lot to unpick here but I'll just focus on one point

You praise Arteta (and rightly so, I've said in other threads he's done a very good job) and often mention he's up against Pep/City/115 charges, you say that as a way to enhance the work Arteta has done

If that is indeed the case then the same barrier also applies to Klopp, he's been up against the same foe

So if it's a challenge for Arteta that's worthy of extra praise it is also rhe same for Klopp

You praise Arteta (and rightly so, I've said in other threads he's done a very good job) and often mention he's up against Pep/City/115 charges, you say that as a way to enhance the work Arteta has done

If that is indeed the case then the same barrier also applies to Klopp, he's been up against the same foe

So if it's a challenge for Arteta that's worthy of extra praise it is also rhe same for Klopp
Let me put it this way. If Arteta spends 9 years at Arsenal and wins only one league title, I will look back at his era with a feeling of underachievement.

The Arteta cheerleader spew plenty of nonsense to overhype the so called messiah.

He raves on about him being Peps assistant for 3 years, as though that is why City were good. By same logic the current City assistant should be sought after as City won a treble last season.

This is the thing with fan boys the worship individuals like Indians worship their cricketers. Nothing more then weirdo teenage crush type behaviour.

He picks and chooses why to apply his weirdo logic

Sky Sports is reporting that a Liverpool training session was delayed for nearly 2 hours today after a player reported finding an unknown white powdery substance on the pitch.

Training was suspended and the police were called. After a complete analysis, experts determined that the white substance unknown to the players was the Goal Line.

Training resumed after the police decided the team was unlikely to encounter the substance again this season.

FB_IMG_1714053827214.jpg

The Arteta cheerleader spew plenty of nonsense to overhype the so called messiah.

He raves on about him being Peps assistant for 3 years, as though that is why City were good. By same logic the current City assistant should be sought after as City won a treble last season.

This is the thing with fan boys the worship individuals like Indians worship their cricketers. Nothing more then weirdo teenage crush type behaviour.

He picks and chooses why to apply his weirdo logic
No one as ever said that Arteta was the reason Pep was successful. The point is that ignorant fans like yourself refuse to give due credit to the role Arteta played during his time at City. He was more than just the guy who placed the cones on the pitch and a lot of City have players have credited him for their development.

While Pep was the mastermind behind the tactics and playing style of City, Arteta played an important role when it comes to 1v1 coaching.

Anyone who thinks Arteta is just another number 2 clearly has no idea about him and his journey in football. It was obvious from day 1 that he will be a top manager one day.

Arteta has the credentials to be a top manager because of the early footballing education that he received (La Masia), his position at the pitch (there is a reason why majority of the successful managers are CMs/CDMs), and the learning experiences that he had from Wenger and later Pep.

A lot of number 2s are number 2s because they don't back themselves to be number 1s. Arteta was a number 2 for Pep with the sole intention of gathering experience to become a number 1 in the future.

Arteta had a burning desire to be a manager and all the experiences that he has had in football has shaped and moulded him for success as a manager. His story and journey are not comparable to your regular number 2.

Jürgen Klopp vowed to do everything possible to help Liverpool get back on track when they face West Ham United on Saturday and to finish the season as strongly as possible.

With four games remaining in 2023-24, the Reds head to the London Stadium in the Premier League for a lunchtime kick-off against David Moyes' eighth-placed Hammers.

Klopp previewed the clash at a press conference at the AXA Training Centre on Friday morning – read on for a summary of what he had to say…

On responding to the Everton defeat and the status of the title race...

It's definitely the job and it's a challenge as well because I can't remember I've ever been as disappointed and frustrated after a game like I was after the Everton game. I lost, unfortunately, a lot of games in my life but it was special. We were not there. You see the other two teams playing – Arsenal and [Manchester] City, I didn't watch them but I know obviously about the games – and [they are playing] very positive football, high results. We are where we are in the table because we are able to play positive football. In this decisive area, we don't play positive football – I blame myself absolutely for that. I don't know how it happened but I am responsible for the mood the team is in.

I don't say it's the best place, Goodison Park, for a Liverpool team to play the most positive football – you have to put a fight out there, stuff like this. We lost pretty much all the decisive battles at least. That was really, really bad. But in general it's now like one or two weeks where we are just not, how I said, we don't play positive football. We have chances, all these kind of things, but in the end it always feels we are catching up with something, we try to catch up with something – that's how it was. So now, quick turnaround, quickest possible turnaround, and we have to do that. It sounds already great – 'you have to be positive', something is not right in that phrase. But I will try my absolute everything that I can enjoy a little bit of our football again because that was obviously not possible in the last game, not possible at all. That's it.

I cannot sit here and say I think they still feel us around. I'm pretty sure Arsenal and City see it now as a two-horse race. They might have to say something else publicly but they don't expect for themselves to lose two games from now on – I don't expect them to do that. If they do it, we would be completely silly if we would then not be around. I don't think it will happen, but if it happens then we should be there. That means we have to win our football games, starting with West Ham, against an opponent who, I'm not 100 per cent sure, but [is in] maybe a similar situation as we are because they lost their last game properly. So, they want and have to show a reaction. We want and have to show a reaction. Let's see who can do that better.

On the 'relative inexperience of the group being involved in title races'...

Look, we can mention a lot of stuff. Is it possible that we were a bit tired or whatever? Yeah, of course. It's tough, [a] long season for different reasons, not all the players played all the games but they are coming back from injury. Trent Alexander-Arnold, as an example, played outstanding against Fulham and then against Everton, was it a little bit too much? Maybe, but we need him obviously. Can he be on top of his game? Probably not. Others play all the time or very often, or were injured first time in their career really for a long time, stuff like this. And, of course, not in a good moment one or two as well. That's the situation.

Tough schedule, definitely, but inexperience as well. Did anybody expect us to become champions at the beginning of the season? No, but it developed in this direction. We go now to Aston Villa [on May 13], they – and Tottenham – have a few points less than us, so we still need points to be definitely qualified for the Champions League, which is obviously a real target. But nobody here is happy at all. Because there they are probably happy at Aston Villa, were happy with the situation they are in – rightly so. Just to explain how different it is, we cannot go back to the point where we say, 'Yeah, but it's good enough.' It is very good but because we were that close, of course we are very, very disappointed in this moment in time. That's how it is, we cannot change that.

Is this group not as experienced as the group we had before? Yes, of course. That's the good thing about it – the worst thing about a defeat is if you don't learn from it. We have to learn from it in the short term, not like this anymore. And the boys have to learn from it in the long term as well with a different manager next year, stuff like this, but they will be in similar situations, and that's obviously what they can use in these moments. Experience, you cannot buy, you can only make yourself. We made a really tough one and now let's hope we can use that in the short term for the next game. And in the long term, it will help, definitely.

On the approach for the final four games of the season...

Step by step, game by game – how can you do it differently? We obviously played just the other night and play tomorrow at 12.30, so in 24 hours pretty much, that's it. That's the first game we think about, are concerned about. Then we have the first normal weeks for ages with long turnarounds and that's it. So, don't get me wrong, nobody gave up here. We just need to be realistic. Both of them [Man City and Arsenal] must lose two games. First of all, we have to win four and they have to lose two games. They didn't lose two games I don't know since when, so why should it start now? But if it happens, we have to be there, stuff like this. That's the situation. I'm not this kind of guy, 'We will be 100 per cent and we will get them' and everybody thinks he's a bit dumb – I might be but not in that way. So, that's it, that's the approach. How I said, I didn't like our football and I hope I can help the boys to play better and much more positive again.

On facing West Ham...

David is one of the best colleagues. We don't have time really to spend together but we spoke actually over the years a lot before games or whatever. I like him a lot, respect him a lot. I think he is doing an incredible job, to be honest. I like the team they have, offensively really talented, good transfers. [Jarrod] Bowen, I've said it a couple of times, he's one of my favourite players, like a lot the way he developed since he came from Hull. [Mohammed] Kudus, super-talented, [Lucas] Paqueta, Michail Antonio, top striker. And when Bowen plays up there then they find another solution, these kind of things. [James] Ward-Prowse, super-smart signing for West Ham, I have to say. And then all the other guys settled around.

I think I heard once in a press conference of David when he said, 'What do you want us to achieve?' There are six teams in the league that have to be in this moment in time above West Ham – not all of them are but actually I would say they have to. That means seventh is pretty much the best you can achieve, and they did that and better now for a few years. I really think he is doing a ridiculously good job there, to be honest.

Liverpool agree £9.4m Slot deal with Feyenoord

Arne Slot is set to become Liverpool's next manager after a compensation deal worth up to £9.4m was agreed with Feyenoord.

The Dutchman is poised to succeed Jurgen Klopp, who announced in January he would leave Anfield at the end of the 2023-24 season.

The Reds will now take steps to agree a contract with the 45-year-old before he is officially appointed.

Liverpool have agreed to pay Feyenoord £7.7m (9m euros) plus a possible £1.7m (2m euros) in add-ons.

Slot led Feyenoord to the 2022-23 Eredivisie title, while this season they have won the Dutch Cup and are set to finish second in their league.

It is believed that the attacking style of Slot's teams, his personality and his ability to develop players are key factors in making him Liverpool's choice for the job.

Klopps final season

Last Game at Emirates lost 3-1
Last FA Cup match lost 4-3 to United.
Last game at Old Trafford 2-2.
Last European game at Anfield lost 3-0 to Atalanta.
Last Merseyside derby lost 2-0.
At least unlike Arsenal Jurgen Klopp won something this season! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :klopp

Arne Slot has very small shoes to fill.

Nearly £900m spent in 9 seasons and only one PL trophy to show for and finished 4th or below 4 times.

Arne Slot should back himself to outdo Klopp.

Arne Slot has very small shoes to fill.

Nearly £900m spent in 9 seasons and only one PL trophy to show for and finished 4th or below 4 times.

Arne Slot should back himself to outdo Klopp.
...and how much did Man City and Chelsea spend in comparison?. As Sidhu said "statistics are like miniskirts" and all that! :klopp

Mo Salah delivers angry eight-word message in response to touchline row with Jurgen Klopp

Mohamed Salah declared “if I speak today there will be fire ” as he left London Stadium following a heated touchline row with Jurgen Klopp during Liverpool ’s 2-2 draw with West Ham.

The Egypt star was seen shouting at Klopp as he waited to come on as a substitute just as Michail Antonio levelled for the Hammers and he was held back by team mate Darwin Nunez as the row threatened to boil over.

The draw has all but ended the Reds’ title hopes and as Salah navigated his way through the mixed zone on his way out of the stadium, he made his displeasure clear.

At the same time, Klopp was busy telling his post-match press conference, when asked if he felt the issue was closed: "That's my impression, yes."

Looks like salah will be leaving in summer, interesting to see how much money Liverpool get for him from saudi

Salah is past his best. Sell him to the highest bidder then bring in some class at the back and up front. Klopp overruled the recruitment team when signing the terrible Darwin Nunez. Here's hoping this expensive mistake can also be corrected by showing him the exit door. Alexander Isak of Newcastle should be considered as possible replacement.

Some really poor takes here on Klopp. Given that Liverpool have tried and failed to win the league since 1990 and Klopp has achieved that puts him on a strong level. Also his teams have generally played excellent football. And Klopp has also won a Euro CL. Of course people downgrade his achievements citing their truckload of cash they have spent but the same applies to the other big six and those cheats Oil City.

Of course he is below Fergie,Shankley,Paisley,Pep in the manager rankings but in the bracket of Mourinho and Wenger.

Yes he should have won 2 titles but he didn't.

The Arteta story is yet to be written so for now he isn't in that bracket but he may get there

Salah is past his best. Sell him to the highest bidder then bring in some class at the back and up front. Klopp overruled the recruitment team when signing the terrible Darwin Nunez. Here's hoping this expensive mistake can also be corrected by showing him the exit door. Alexander Isak of Newcastle should be considered as possible replacement.
Isak isn't for sale and even if he asks to leave he won't be cheap, plus I think he'd sooner join Arsenal ahead of Liverpool

Liverpool fans alway like to go on and on about their 19 league titles, 6 CLs and being most successful English club. Which is fair enough.

Yet when it comes to klopp, Liverpool fans want to make excuses like "Liverpool are up against Pep etc"

Klopp should have won 3 PL title in his 9 years. Instead he won 1.

In the CL, fair enough their is no shame losing to finals to Real Madrid. So from that point 1 CL is decent return.

Being biggest club in England, Liverpool who want to celebrate their history, stop now celebrating competing.

It's actually embarrassing, in saying that all big clubs in England baring man city behave in this way.

Isak isn't for sale and even if he asks to leave he won't be cheap, plus I think he'd sooner join Arsenal ahead of Liverpool
Money talks. If we sell Salah for £100 million then can put that money on the table for Isak. He isn't winning anything at Newcastle. If Arsenal want him too then it will be a tug of war.

Money talks. If we sell Salah for £100 million then can put that money on the table for Isak. He isn't winning anything at Newcastle. If Arsenal want him too then it will be a tug of war.
Money does talk and £100m gets you his left leg.

We paid £60m for him whilst many other clubs didn't want to risk that.

He's been absolutely class in the league and proven Premier League players aren't cheap. If he asks to leave then he'll be going for more than £100m

Money does talk and £100m gets you his left leg.

We paid £60m for him whilst many other clubs didn't want to risk that.

He's been absolutely class in the league and proven Premier League players aren't cheap. If he asks to leave then he'll be going for more than £100m
If we sell Salah for about £100 million and Nunez for £50 million then that is a lot of money and wages being freed. Another thing is that Isak won't see much point in staying with Newcastle unless major signings are made. I wrongly thought that would be the case when the Arab's took over. At the time my feeling was Newcastle being like Man City freely spending in the market.

If we sell Salah for about £100 million and Nunez for £50 million then that is a lot of money and wages being freed. Another thing is that Isak won't see much point in staying with Newcastle unless major signings are made. I wrongly thought that would be the case when the Arab's took over. At the time my feeling was Newcastle being like Man City freely spending in the market.

Last summer was the time to really sell Salah, could easily have gotten £150m for him. Though he is still a star so could see £100m being offered.

Good luck in getting £50m for Nunez.

If Isak leaves us he isn't going to join a club in transition, it will be for a club that can challenge right now.

As for us, due to FFP it was always going to be a longer term project, anyone thinking it would be like City were clueless.

On top of FFP there have been extra barriers put in place to slow us down and whilst it's working long term we will get there, we just don't have the luxury of doing it immediately.

Last summer was the time to really sell Salah, could easily have gotten £150m for him. Though he is still a star so could see £100m being offered.

If Isak leaves us he isn't going to join a club in transition, it will be for a club that can challenge right now.

As for us, due to FFP it was always going to be a longer term project, anyone thinking it would be like City were clueless.

On top of FFP there have been extra barriers put in place to slow us down and whilst it's working long term we will get there, we just don't have the luxury of doing it immediately.
As much as I hate Liverpool and their plastic fans,l.

They needed a midfield rebuild this summer gone and that's been done.

They challenged for title and then bottled it. They need a couple of signings up top to replace out going players.

So if their new manager gets it right they can challenge again.

Barring Man city. How many challenge right now clubs are they?

Liverpool fans alway like to go on and on about their 19 league titles, 6 CLs and being most successful English club. Which is fair enough.

Yet when it comes to klopp, Liverpool fans want to make excuses like "Liverpool are up against Pep etc"

Klopp should have won 3 PL title in his 9 years. Instead he won 1.

In the CL, fair enough their is no shame losing to finals to Real Madrid. So from that point 1 CL is decent return.

Being biggest club in England, Liverpool who want to celebrate their history, stop now celebrating competing.

It's actually embarrassing, in saying that all big clubs in England baring man city behave in this way.
I'm sorry but liverpool have done well to compete over the years with Manchester City whilst Klopp has been in charge.

One has an unfair advantage by using petro dollars and has been clearly breaking fair play financial rules.

And the other one has spent wisely and sold players to purchase players and balanced the books in a professional manner alongwith trying to grow the business and invest in stadium and the new training crowd liverpool dont have the luxury of the real plastic club and in reality has support of a championship level type of fan who have spent their petrol dollars to reach to the top.

As you have seen Chelsea is back down to reality once their criminal owner has been sanctioned not buying titles anymore .

I'm sorry but liverpool have done well to compete over the years with Manchester City whilst Klopp has been in charge.

One has an unfair advantage by using petro dollars and has been clearly breaking fair play financial rules.

And the other one has spent wisely and sold players to purchase players and balanced the books in a professional manner alongwith trying to grow the business and invest in stadium and the new training crowd liverpool dont have the luxury of the real plastic club and in reality has support of a championship level type of fan who have spent their petrol dollars to reach to the top.

As you have seen Chelsea is back down to reality once their criminal owner has been sanctioned not buying titles anymore .
In spite of the facts that they have been disadvantaged due the financial muscle of the FFP cheats, Liverpool should have won at least 2-3 league titles in the Klopp era because they had the team to do so.

Klopp era had plenty of highs but plenty of lows too and Liverpool should look back at them with disappointment.

1. 2018-19 collapse: Liverpool had a 10 point lead over City halfway through the season and with that squad, they should have been able to protect that lead.

2. 2023-24 collapse: another 10 point lead until Jan-Feb surrendered in spite of the fact that Liverpool had the easiest run-in in March-April compared to City and Arsenal.

3. 2021-22 and 2022-23 failures: two very average seasons where Liverpool sneaked into the top 4 on the final day and finished 5th respectively with squads that had the capacity to compete for the title.

Because of these four seasons, the Klopp era cannot be considered a resounding success. It was far from a disappointment, but it could have been so much more than what it turned out to be.

As much as I hate Liverpool and their plastic fans,l.

They needed a midfield rebuild this summer gone and that's been done.

They challenged for title and then bottled it. They need a couple of signings up top to replace out going players.

So if their new manager gets it right they can challenge again.

Barring Man city. How many challenge right now clubs are they?
Has the midfield rebuild really been done?

MacAllister has been quality. Endo has been good but he was always a stop gap. After a good start Szoboszlai has been poor

They still need to sort midfield out and the attack will need sorting if Salah goes

Next season I think it will be Arsenal/City and then a gap to the rest

Arab's want Salah as their poster boy as they see him as one of them. Saudi's have no shortage of money at all. When it comes to Salah they will likely pay anything at least near £100 million. City don't want Isak leaving only Arsenal and us unless he wants to go abroad. During the summer every club is in a transitional period.

Isak may not be ready to wait for Newcastle getting it right. It is gonna take them ages to go from a mid table club to title contenders. Last season Chelsea were seriously interested in Nunez, it could be that Slot gives him another chance to impress. Klopp signed him on the back of him doing well for Benfica against us.

MacAllister has been quality. Endo has been good but he was always a stop gap. After a good start Szoboszlai has been poor

They still need to sort midfield out and the attack will need sorting if Salah goes

Liverpool spent around £150m in the summer and Jan windows to rebuild their midfield. That is more than enough money to spend on incoming transfers to bolster their midfield.

The fact that they have spent that much money and still need to sort their midfield out shows that their recruitment has been poor.

This is why the narrative that Klopp has only won one PL because he doesn’t have the funds to compete with Pep is a bit of a tired excuse.

Let’s not forget around £170m were spent on Nunez, Diaz and Gakpo. All poor signings.

Klopp has been rubbish in the market since he hit the jackpot in 2017-2018 when he signed Salah, VVD, Alisson and Fabinho in quick succession.

In the last four years, Mac Allister and Konate have been the only good signings who have actually improved the team.

Every era has had a team which has spent loads of money etc.. Liverpool in 80s, man utd 90s, Chelsea 2000s, and Man city now.

Liverpool have bottled 3 titles (1 under Rogers and 2 under klopp) - that's self inflicted and nothing to do with petrol dollars.

Now all off a sudden for England biggest clubs it's celebrating competing. Yet then when Liverpool fans get battered they talk about past trophies won.

It's contradictory nonsense to be quite honest and typical victims mentality

Liverpools biggest issue this season hasn't been their midfield, yeah they probably need 1 more midfielder in the summer.

Their issues all season has been how poor their conversion rate of their strikers have been.

Nunez and Gapko are donkeys, Diaz being indifferent can slightly mitigated with the off field issues he's had.

Jota is made of glass.

This is where Michael Edwards coming back in has to be smart with Transfers, liverpool should flog salah, Diaz and gapko.

Spend that money on Ivan toney or Watkins + Bowen. If Liverpool continue to create as many chances as they do and get more potent player in up top they won't be falling short like they have done.

3 Top quality signings is what they need. Question is though will FSG back new manager with funds they get from sales + CL money

Depends if FSG change tact and shoe ambition or continue with their rubbish self sustaining model

Liverpool spent around £150m in the summer and Jan windows to rebuild their midfield. That is more than enough money to spend on incoming transfers to bolster their midfield.

The fact that they have spent that much money and still need to sort their midfield out shows that their recruitment has been poor.

This is why the narrative that Klopp has only won one PL because he doesn’t have the funds to compete with Pep is a bit of a tired excuse.

Let’s not forget around £170m were spent on Nunez, Diaz and Gakpo. All poor signings.

Klopp has been rubbish in the market since he hit the jackpot in 2017-2018 when he signed Salah, VVD, Alisson and Fabinho in quick succession.

In the last four years, Mac Allister and Konate have been the only good signings who have actually improved the team.
I agree, the money was not spent well (MacAllister aside and Endo was worth it for a low fee)

Not having Edwards has seemingly hurt them

It's heavily reported that Mane and Salah were not the players Klopp wanted, it was pushed by Edwards and he was right to do that

Klopps talent ID is not that impressive really

Liverpools biggest issue this season hasn't been their midfield, yeah they probably need 1 more midfielder in the summer.

Their issues all season has been how poor their conversion rate of their strikers have been.

Nunez and Gapko are donkeys, Diaz being indifferent can slightly mitigated with the off field issues he's had.

Jota is made of glass.

This is where Michael Edwards coming back in has to be smart with Transfers, liverpool should flog salah, Diaz and gapko.

Spend that money on Ivan toney or Watkins + Bowen. If Liverpool continue to create as many chances as they do and get more potent player in up top they won't be falling short like they have done.

3 Top quality signings is what they need. Question is though will FSG back new manager with funds they get from sales + CL money

Depends if FSG change tact and shoe ambition or continue with their rubbish self sustaining model
I agree the forwards not being clinical is an issue, I was simply responding to the point their midfield rebuild has been done

It might have been done in terms of numbers but the outcome is that their midfield needs more if they want to challenge for the title next season, this needs to be alongside their forward lineup which will no doubt go through a transition

Back