Manchester City | 2023/24 Season

Erling Haaland remains a fitness doubt for Manchester City's Champions League Group G clash with Swiss side Young Boys on Tuesday.

Haaland, 23, was withdrawn at half-time of Saturday's Premier League 6-1 win over Bournemouth with a twisted ankle.

City will qualify for the last 16 with two games to spare if they win.

Asked if Haaland would be fit for the game, City manager Pep Guardiola said: "We will speak with the doctor - I don't know."

Guardiola added: "I will listen to the doctors. If [the doctor] says he is ready and does not have pain I will consider him to play.

"Yesterday he told me he felt much better than the day of the game."

Haaland has scored 13 times for City in all competitions this season and participated in the portion of Monday's afternoon training which was open to the media.

Reigning European champions City have won their first three matches in Group G and gained a 3-1 victory in Switzerland two weeks ago when the sides played the reverse fixture.

"We will try to finish and qualify for February and the next stage," said Guardiola. "It means a lot to the club. Being there is a success.

"It's so important, more than you can imagine, because we can park the car until February and focus on the Premier League and others. We have to close it on Tuesday.

"You have to try to finish first. We have the chance to play the second game [of the last 16] at home and that is definitely better."

Young Boys are top of the Swiss Super League, but only have one point from their three Champions League games and will be unable to make the last 16 if they lose to City and RB Leipzig win away at Red Star Belgrade.

BBC

Last edited:
Manager Pep Guardiola believes it is a good sign if his Manchester City players are "angry" at being left out of the starting line-up.

Jeremy Doku scored and provided four assists in the 6-1 win against Bournemouth on Saturday.

The winger was on the bench for last week's win at Manchester United, with Jack Grealish preferred, but roles were reversed when the Cherries visited.

"I want Jack [Grealish] angry and I want him to play good," Guardiola said.

"And then Doku - be angry that he hasn't played the last two games. This is the way to maintain the consistency at that level."

BBC

Manchester City: Treble winners post-Premier League and club record revenues and profits

Manchester City have posted a Premier League record revenue of £712.8m for the 2022-23 financial year.

This exceeds the record £648.4m posted last month by Manchester United and is a £99.8m rise on the previous year.

City's profit of £80.4m is up from last year's club record of £41.7m.

The figures come on the back of a season in which they became the second English club after Manchester United in 1999 to win the Treble of Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League.

The revenue is less than the €990m (£861.43m) Barcelona recorded in 2019, although the validity of this has been challenged due to the 'exceptional' sums that were added to the overall revenue figure.

"In the aftermath of the Champions League win in Turkey and the completion of 'The Treble' the question I was asked most often, was 'How do you top that?'," said City chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak.

"The answer is by doubling down on the proven philosophies and practices that have brought us this success and to challenge ourselves to continue to constantly innovate in order to achieve new levels of performance, on and off the field.

"We will continue to question all the industry norms, evaluate our successes and learn from any failures.

"Success today simply means further investment for tomorrow. Our financial health and on-field success mean everyone connected to Manchester City can look forward to the future with excitement.

"Our collective achievements give me huge confidence that together we can accomplish even more in the years to come."

The club's financial statement reveals increases in all major revenue streams. Broadcast revenues increased 20.2% to £299.4m. City say this was "primarily" due to their success in the Champions League and FA Cup.

It also confirms on 6 February 2023, City were referred to a commission for a "number of alleged breaches of Premier League rules". The club repeated its statement in response that it "welcomes" the review and that it has "irrefutable evidence" to support its position.

City's wage bill rose by almost £70m to £422.89m and the club is committed to in excess of £262m in "transfer fees, signing on fees and loyalty bonuses" if set conditions are met.

The club made £121.7m profit on player trading in the financial year and says transfers conducted after 30 June, which included the arrivals of Jeremy Doku, Mateo Kovacic, Josko Gvardiol and Matheus Nunes, plus the departures of Cole Palmer, Riyad Mahrez, Aymeric Laporte and James Trafford cost the club approximately £84m.'

BBC

Pep Guardiola insists the 115 financial charges facing Manchester City represent a "completely different" case to Everton's Premier League points deduction and cannot be compared.

The Toffees were handed a 10-point sanction after being found to have breached financial rules.

City boss Guardiola was asked if he was worried what could happen to City after Everton's punishment.

"It's two different cases. It's not the same - honestly," said Guardiola.

Speaking on Friday before his league leaders face second-placed Liverpool at Etihad Stadium on Saturday (12:30 GMT), Guardiola added: "I spoke with my people - [they] said it is completely different.

"Ok - [our] one is longer because it is more complicated because it's 115 breaches. So wait.

"Then the lawyers from both sides present their cases in front of the judge and the verdict."

City are the only other club to have been charged by the Premier League for financial breaches.

They were referred to an independent commission for allegedly breaching the rules more than 100 times between 2009 and 2018, and were also accused of not cooperating since the investigation began in December 2018.

City were charged in February - before Everton - and their case is still ongoing.

The independent commission which is overseeing the case can impose punishments ranging from a fine and points deduction to expulsion from the Premier League.

The club has always denied financial wrongdoing.

Asked if he would consider his future at City if the club was expelled from the Premier League, Guardiola said: "I will wait. Wait and see it, and after the sentence has been done we will come here and explain it.

"But absolutely I will not consider my future [if] it depends being here or being in League One.

"Absolutely. There is more chance to stay if we are in League One than if we win the Champions League.

"I know when people are saying - 'Okay, City - why don't they go to the [National League]?' Wait. After [the decision is made] what's going to happen is going to happen.

"What people accuse us of, we do not agree with what they say.

"We are going to defend [ourselves] and after the resolution is done, I will be here, like a spokesman for my club," added Guardiola.

Meanwhile, Chelsea could face further scrutiny from football's authorities over reports that former owner Roman Abramovich used offshore companies to make tens of millions of pounds worth of payments to agents which were not officially declared.

Chelsea were fined £8.6m by European football governing body Uefa in July for "submitting incomplete financial information" between 2012 and 2019 as part of a settlement for breaking Financial Fair Play rules.

BBC

Manchester City want to sign Boca Juniors full-back Valentin Barco before loaning the 19-year-old Argentina Under-20 international to Leicester

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has emphasised the importance of his team locking down top spot in their Champions League group.

The holders take on RB Leipzig at Etihad Stadium on Tuesday in their fifth Group G game, having won four out of four so far.

They and Leipzig have already clinched spots in the knockout stage, but first place in the pool remains up for grabs.

"We have to win or draw," said Guardiola.

"The first step is done for both sides so congratulations to RB Leipzig to qualify for the next round in February.

"It is important to finish first. We believe that when we play the last 16, [having] the second leg at home is not decisive but an advantage and we have to take it."

City beat Leipzig 3-1 on matchday two. That result and City's three-point cushion over Leipzig makes the permutations as straightforward as Guardiola laid them out.

Avoiding defeat will do the job and eliminate the potential danger of City finishing second and having to face the winner of another group in the last-16 stage.

City have every reason to be optimistic. Leipzig are fifth in the German Bundesliga, 11 points behind league leaders Bayer Leverkusen, while City have not lost at home since November 2022.

Guardiola delivered a pessimistic message about a number of fitness issues affecting his squad.

Jack Grealish, Mateo Kovacic, Sergio Gomez and Matheus Nunes are doubts.

Kevin de Bruyne is a long-term absentee, but there is positive news in the case of John Stones.

Stones suffered an injury in City's win over Young Boys on November 7 but is "really close to coming back", Guardiola said.

Grealish missed Saturday's 1-1 draw with Liverpool through illness.

"I'm not optimistic about some people coming back but we will see," Guardiola said.

"I think it will be the same people who played against Liverpool. John Stones is getting better. He's not for playing but maybe a few minutes."

Source: BBC Sport

Man City XI vs Tottenham: Confirmed team news, predicted lineup.​

Pep Guardiola has confirmed John Stones is ready to start Manchester City's clash with Tottenham on Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man City XI vs Tottenham: Confirmed team news, predicted lineup.

Pep Guardiola has confirmed John Stones is ready to start Manchester City's clash with Tottenham on Sunday.

Mateo Kovacic is also back in the mix but Matheus Nunes is set to miss out as he nears the end of his comeback from a knock.

Guardiola rotated somewhat for the comeback win over leipzig on Tuesday, having not made a substitution during the draw with liverpool last weekend.

With the Premier League title race as tight as it has been in years, the City boss will likely go back to the tried and tested when Spurs come to town this weekend.

As such, Ederson will start in place of Stefan Ortega in goal and City’s only long-term absence continues to be Kevin De Bruyne as he recovers from hamstring injury.

Predicted Man City XI (4-2-3-1): Ederson; Walker, Stones, Akanji, Gvardiol; Rodri, Silva; Foden, Alvarez, Doku; Haaland
Injuries: De Bruyne, Nunes

Time and date: 4:30pm GMT on Sunday December 3, 2023

Venue: Etihad Stadium

Source: The Standard, UK

Pep Guardiola tipped to quit Man City in two years as preference for next job revealed

Pep Guardiola's Manchester City contract runs until 2025 by which point he's tipped to walk away from club management and pursue a job with an international outfit

Pep Guardiola will see out his two years at Manchester City and then be done with club management, according to Guillem Balague.

The Catalan has been in charge of the Etihad outfit since 2016 and, by the end of his current contract, will have been in charge in Manchester for nine seasons. Before that, he's been in charge of Bayern Munich and Barcelona - taking only one year out of work since being appointed at the Nou Camp in 2008.

Guardiola has enjoyed huge success, revolutionising the game, and there would be a huge demand for his services were he to be available. Balague though believes the Catalan will say "that's it" and walk away from the day-to-day demand of management come 2025.

He came into management young and, by the time his contract at City ends, he will only be 54. Balague believes Guardiola will then go into international management, which is far less demanding. The Spaniard cited England has his most likely destination.

The Catalan has worked with several members of the current Three Lions squad, the likes of Phil Foden, John Stones and Kyle Walker. Balague said on CBS sports: "He's dealt with the players, he's improved the players."

Balague's claim backs up what Guardiola has said previously, although he's stayed at City perhaps longer than he and many others thought with the team still at the peak of their powers. He led them to the treble last term but has expressed a desire to win international honours.

“The next step will be a national team, if the opportunity presents itself,” Guardiola said previously. “I must take a break after seven years (at Manchester City). I need to stop and look, learn from other coaches and then maybe take that path. I would like to coach in a European Championship, a Copa America, a World Cup.”

Source: The Mirror, UK

Manchester City’s Transfer Dilemma: Paqueta or Gnabry?

Manchester City’s potential move for Lucas Paqueta, as reported by Football Transfers, presents a fascinating case study. The Brazilian’s talent is undeniable, yet unresolved issues loom over the potential deal.

Lucas Paqueta, a gifted Brazilian midfielder playing for West Ham, has caught the eye of Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City. However, as Football Transfers notes, “The Brazil international is still a player of interest to Man City but they want a resolution over the gambling issues hanging over the player before committing to a deal for him.” This predicament underscores the complex nature of modern football transfers, where talent is not the sole deciding factor

With the Paqueta deal stalling, City’s interest in Bayern Munich’s Serge Gnabry gains momentum. The German winger represents a different, yet equally intriguing option for the Etihad club. City’s readiness to pivot to another target like Gnabry highlights their adaptability in the transfer market.

While this saga unfolds, Paqueta remains a key figure at West Ham. His impressive tally of five goals and an assist in 17 matches is a testament to his professionalism amidst uncertainty. This form might further fuel City’s interest, providing an added layer to this transfer narrative.

In conclusion, Manchester City’s pursuit of Lucas Paqueta, as detailed by Football Transfers, is a prime example of the complexities and strategic considerations in modern football transfers. Whether City finalise the deal with Paqueta or shift their focus to Gnabry, their careful approach in navigating the next transfer window is evident. Fans and analysts alike will be keenly watching how this intriguing story unfolds.

Source: EPL Index

Man city vs Tottenham, 1-1 a piece. Match evenly poised at the moment but city looking really sharp. Much drama to come yet.

H. Son being really magnanimous and generous at the moment. Scoring goal for both sides.

Man City 3-3 Tottenham: Erling Haaland criticises referee on social media

Manchester City striker Erling Haaland has criticised referee Simon Hooper on social media over a controversial decision late in Sunday's dramatic 3-3 draw with Tottenham.

The Norway forward was incensed with Hooper after being denied the opportunity to play an advantage in the closing moments of a thrilling Premier League match at Etihad Stadium.

Haaland was one of several City players to remonstrate with the official and he continued his protests after the game by reposting a clip of the incident on X, formerly Twitter, with the comment "***", which is offensive slang.

The incident that angered City happened when Haaland was fouled in the fifth minute of stoppage time, managing to regain his footing to swivel and send Jack Grealish clear.

Hooper initially appeared to acknowledge the infringement and wave play on, but then blew his whistle to pull play back for a City free-kick.

The decision brought City protests, and criticism from pundits.

"I think it is an absolute shocker. I really do," said Jermaine Jenas on the BBC's Match of the Day 2.

"I'm not sure what Simon Hooper is thinking. It's clearly a mistake but it is a monster of a mistake in my opinion."

His fellow former England midfielder Leon Osman said: "It's a huge mistake - there is no getting away from that with the technology we have but I have a slight bit of sympathy. He held his hands up straight away.

"But this one mistake is all that people will want to talk about."

"The problem I have is that we've had so many situations where play is allowed to go on," said former City defender Micah Richards on Sky Sports.

"If you're in doubt, just leave the play to go on and you can always bring it back. That's why City will feel aggrieved."

While fellow pundit Jamie Carragher said the referee "just panicked", former Manchester United captain Roy Keane added: "It's a poor call."

Manchester City: FA charges champions with failing to control players in Tottenham game

Manchester City have been charged by the Football Association with failing to control their players in Sunday's 3-3 Premier League draw with Tottenham.

Players surrounded referee Simon Hooper when he awarded a free-kick to City late in stoppage time after it looked like Jack Grealish was through on goal.

Hooper initially indicated City had the advantage and waved play on, but halted the match once the pass was played.

City have until Thursday, 7 December to respond to the charge.

An FA statement said the defending champions "failed to ensure their players do not behave in a way which is improper."

Striker Erling Haaland was one of several City players to remonstrate with the official and he continued his protests after the game by reposting a clip of the incident on X, formerly Twitter, with the comment "***", which is offensive slang.

However, the FA will not be handing out any further charges relating to the fixture, so Haaland is not facing an individual punishment.

It is the third Premier League game in succession that City have drawn, having also been held by Liverpool and Chelsea, and they sit third in the Premier League with a three-point gap to leaders Arsenal.

Defensively they look all at sea this season.

Laporte was a good player and I was surprised they let him leave.

I still expect them to win the title, but they need the leadership of KDB in the team asap.

Manchester City: Pep Guardiola says his side will win fourth straight Premier League title​

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says his side are going to win a record fourth consecutive Premier League title this season.

City have slipped to third, three points off leaders Arsenal, after draws with Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham.

Guardiola's side have conceded eight goals in those games and thrown away leads in each, but are still favourites with the bookmakers for the title.

"My feeling today is we're going to win the Premier League," said Guardiola.

"If we play at the levels that we showed against Liverpool and Tottenham, we're going to win it again.

"People don't believe it already after three draws but we feel we're going to do it again, knowing that it is not easy because no team has done it yet [won four in a row].

"The difficulty is there and was last season but, if you ask me today what I'm feeling, we're going to do it again."

City matched Manchester United's record of three consecutive Premier League titles when they won the Treble last season.

At one stage they were eight points behind Arsenal last season, but won the league by five points.

The previous season saw City edge Liverpool out by a point, coming from 2-0 down against Aston Villa on the final day to win the league by a single point.

They finished 12 points clear of Manchester United the season before.

'We never use these situations'

Guardiola's side were incensed in the closing stages of their 3-3 draw with Tottenham on Sunday when referee Simon Hooper blew for a free-kick after initially playing advantage for a foul on Erling Haaland.

Haaland got back to his feet and clipped the ball over the top, releasing Jack Grealish, but Hooper brought play back for the foul.

However, Guardiola does not think his players need that incident to fuel their fight for the rest of the season.

"We never use these kind of situations. Today the motivation is to try and do better," he said.

"Sometimes decisions help you, sometimes they don't. I learn that if you want to win something you have to do it much, much better than the opponents."

City have been charged with failing to control their players by the Football Association (FA) after their players surrounded Hooper following the incident.

Haaland went on to criticise Hooper in a social media post, but the Norwegian is not facing any individual action from the FA.

Guardiola said his side have "behaved incredibly this season" and pointed to comments by his players that highlighted they needed to do better as a group on the pitch.

Source: BBC

They are definitely the favorites to win the league but it will be a close battle at the top with Arsenal and Liverpool.

Manchester City starting XI vs Aston Villa: Ederson, Walker, Akanji, Dias, Ake, Lewis, Kovacic, Silva, Alvarez, Foden, Haaland

Pep Guardiola: Man City boss says poor Premier League run is a reality check

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City's winless streak serves as a reality check for his squad.

City go to Luton on Sunday and will be out to avoid going five games without a Premier League win following a 1-0 defeat against Aston Villa on Wednesday.

Guardiola has never gone five league games without a win in his career.

"When you are winning you are the best in the world - not winning it's a crisis," he said.

"It's always exaggerated."

City have lifted the Premier League trophy for the past three seasons and last season won the Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League treble. The club have not gone five matches without a win since Mark Hughes was in charge in 2009.

Speaking on Friday, he alluded to some of his players having enjoyed life like a pampered pet.

"For a long time, we've lived like a cat and known how good we are," he said.

Guardiola, whose team have slipped to fourth in the Premier League, feels the current relative struggles on the pitch may prove to be a positive in resetting standards.

"See how difficult what we have done is, and what will be?" he said. "The bad results help you to understand it.

"It's not about complacency. Complacency is about arriving late to training, not training good, not doing a good job.

"But the fans and the media say 'Oh my God, they lose'. Four games without winning. It can be five, six. It can happen.

"But look at the next three [in the table]. How the teams do more and more, year by year. I see the hunger in the opponents. I see it.

"The players have to realise that it's not my words that can help, or our accomplishments. It's them on the pitch to say, 'Oh my god, the opponents are much better'.

"After that we can make a step forward. It's the only way."

Guardiola says it is "too simplistic" to put City's latest setback, a 1-0 defeat at Villa Park, down to the absence of midfielder Rodri due to suspension.

He also feels City have proven in the past they can still win without midfielder Kevin de Bruyne, who, his manager says, might find this month's Club World Cup comes "too soon" in his comeback from a hamstring injury, even though he has been named in the squad for the seven-team event in Saudi Arabia.

Manchester City being judged by higher standards than rivals, says boss Pep Guardiola

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola believes his side is being judged by higher standards than any of their Premier League rivals.

City go to Luton looking to avoid a fifth game without a Premier League win for the first time since 2009. Guardiola has never experienced that throughout his illustrious managerial career.

Their form is so unusual, it has almost generated a belief of a borderline crisis from onlookers, even though City have only lost one of those four winless games.

Also, the teams they have faced in their current run - Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham and Aston Villa - are all in the top half of the table and the latter three are in the top five.

Coming off the back of five titles in six years, a domestic treble and, last season, becoming only the second English side to win the authentic Treble, Guardiola feels the reaction is over the top.

"What they demand of us, they didn't demand of our friends - at all," he said.

"There is only one team that is going to 'fail' to win the Premier League, that is us. For the rest, [winning] it is a big success. Any team.

"In the end, if they don't win - Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, everyone - it is normal because City should win. It is unfair. It is difficult to handle that every week, every three days, for years and years."

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola says he does not know long Erling Haaland will be out for with a foot injury.

The Norway striker had started all of City's league matches this season but was left out of their squad for the Premier League game at Luton Town on Sunday (14:00 GMT).

"A bone stress reaction in his foot," said Guardiola when asked about Haaland's issue.

"After the last game against Aston Villa, he felt it and he cannot play."

Haaland leads this season's top-flight scoring chart with 14 goals, and has 19 in all competitions for City.

"I don't know (the length of the injury). Week by week, day by day, we will see what happens," added Guardiola.

"Erling has been so important since he's arrived, that's for sure. But during the season we see this sort of thing. Injuries, suspensions, problems, we have to adapt."

City travel to Luton after three draws and a defeat in their past four Premier League matches.

Source: BBC Sport

Manchester City's mini-crisis is over, but not before they suffered another scare.

City's stuttering season was facing another serious setback at half-time of Sunday's game at Luton, with last year's Treble winners 1-0 down and facing the prospect of a fifth straight Premier League game without a win.

Two second-half goals in the space of three minutes from Bernardo Silva and Jack Grealish rescued Pep Guardiola's side, however, and City's fightback provided the perfect response to anyone doubting their credentials for another title defence.

"The team showed their character, but that didn't surprise me at all," said former City defender Micah Richards, who watched their 2-1 win at Kenilworth Road for MOTD2.

"Whenever people talk negatively about them, it just spurs them on.

"I wouldn't say Pep has been touchy recently, but it is like he is taking that criticism and going 'well, if that's what you think, we will show you', and the whole team has got that attitude too.

"They might not win the title, although I believe they will, but they will fight to the end. If someone else does beat them to it, then it is going to be very close."

Manchester City squander two-goal lead as Crystal Palace claim unlikely draw as they conceded two goals in the last 15 minutes.

City only dropped points in 2 games at home last season (Everton draw, Brentford defeat) - this season they have drawn 3 in a row at home.

Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa and even spurs need to take advantage while City are under par.

If Liverpool win tomorrow, it will be a 6 point gap for them that should cause a concern even for Manchester City.

City's performance looks lackluster. Not sure whether they can start another long winning run to cling to their title defense.

If Liverpool win tomorrow, it will be a 6 point gap for them that should cause a concern even for Manchester City.
Both Arsenal and Liverpool could increase the gap, but they do then play each other on 23rd Dec

City only dropped points in 2 games at home last season (Everton draw, Brentford defeat) - this season they have drawn 3 in a row at home.

Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa and even spurs need to take advantage while City are under par.

Especially while KDB is still out injured.

I have a sneaky feeling it'll be Liverpool's title this season if City don't pick up.

Especially while KDB is still out injured.

I have a sneaky feeling it'll be Liverpool's title this season if City don't pick up.
Liverpool have been there and done it before, I hope they don't. Their fans are annoying lol

Liverpool have been there and done it before, I hope they don't. Their fans are annoying lol

I hope they don't either but I've seen enough to say Arsenal haven't got enough to win the league this season. However, I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

Coming to Liverpool's fans, indeed they are the worst. They were very bitter towards Arsenal last season because we managed to finish 17 points above them and they still have sour grapes about City because they can't deal with the fact that Pep is superior to Klopp.

I hope they don't either but I've seen enough to say Arsenal haven't got enough to win the league this season. However, I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

Coming to Liverpool's fans, indeed they are the worst. They were very bitter towards Arsenal last season because we managed to finish 17 points above them and they still have sour grapes about City because they can't deal with the fact that Pep is superior to Klopp.
City will click into gear at sumpoint and will also strengthen in January im sure

If Arsenal or Liverpool are to win the league they both need to sign 2 players to fill gaps in squad. But with FSG and kronkes, they never want to push the boat out that extra bit.

Plus both will miss key players in Jan / Feb at Afcons and asia cup

City will click into gear at sumpoint and will also strengthen in January im sure

If Arsenal or Liverpool are to win the league they both need to sign 2 players to fill gaps in squad. But with FSG and kronkes, they never want to push the boat out that extra bit.

Plus both will miss key players in Jan / Feb at Afcons and asia cup

Arsenal ideally need a DM if Partey is leaving along with a number 9. If possible, they should also bring a right winger.

Arsenal ideally need a DM if Partey is leaving along with a number 9. If possible, they should also bring a right winger.

Btw we should start posting in this thread, if it helps keeps the biggest cheerleader of Havertz/Imam out of our discussions.
We need DM / striker.

Liverpool need DM / CB

City need 2 midfielders one to help rodri and a creative midfielder to

Longterm they need to replace KDB

BREAKING: Manchester City FC have been fined £120,000 after their players surrounded a match official at their Premier League game against Tottenham Hotspur FC

BREAKING: Manchester City FC have been fined £120,000 after their players surrounded a match official at their Premier League game against Tottenham Hotspur FC
I love how teams, managers get fined for reacting to poor refereeing decisions

Are you in favour?

To me this is like that stupid Red for MUFC for gesturing their disappointment
I understand players have to in theory keep emotions in check, but where referees are making poor decisions in 1st place to create the agro and there is no consequences for them.

Urawa Red Diamonds 0-3 Man City: Pep Guardiola's side stroll into Club World Cup final​

Manchester City eased into the final of the Club World Cup with a comfortable 3-0 win over Japanese side Urawa Red Diamonds on Tuesday.

Without Erling Haaland, the Champions League winners needed an own goal to launch their campaign in Saudi Arabia but second-half strikes from Mateo Kovavic and Bernardo Silva saw them stroll to victory.

Having already added the European Super Cup to last season's treble, City will now have the chance to claim a fifth trophy of the calendar year when they face Brazil's Fluminese in Friday's final in Jeddah.

Source: SKY

It is expected to see City get the win in the final as well without many problems. They have so strong squad that should prove too much even for the highly talented outfit of Fluminese.

Bernardo Silva to Saudi Arabia? Man City star responds to transfer links ahead of Club World Cup

The Portuguese international is currently in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia with the Sky Blues who are set to take part in the Club World Cup.

Ahead of their semi-final clash against Urawa Reds on Tuesday, Silva played down the possibility of joining a Saudi Pro League club in the near future as he claimed he is happy to continue in Europe, which according to him is still the highest level of football.

Speaking to reporters, Silva said: "The Saudi League improvement has been massive, it’s because of the investment and from what we hear it’s not going to stop.

"Future in Saudi? For now, I’m focused on City, very happy playing European football, which in my opinion is the highest level."

The attacking midfielder was linked with a move to Saudi Arabia in the summer along with Paris Saint-Germain and Barcelona but he decided to stay in Manchester and later signed a new contract with the European champions that will keep him at the club until 2026.

Source : GOAL

Getting rid of Gundogan, Mahrez, Laporte and losing KDB to injury was always going to hurt City.

The key for them now is to get Haaland fit again and KDB back playing.

I still think they will win the Premier League.

Pep Guardiola: 'Job is done' but Manchester City boss says he can still take criticism

Pep Guardiola feels "the job is done" after Manchester City's recent success, but says he has no problem accepting criticism when his side is not winning.

City lifted the Fifa Club World Cup last week but have faltered in the Premier League so far this season.

The Treble winners are fifth in the table, with a game in hand, and visit Everton in the league on Wednesday.

"Now we go to the shop, buy another book and start to write again," said Guardiola on his side's trophy haul.

City's Treble of Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League last season was followed by the Uefa Super Cup in August.

The 4-0 win against Brazilians Fluminense in Saudi Arabia gave City their fifth trophy of the calendar year - making them the first English club to achieve the feat.

"I have a feeling the job is done," Guardiola said. "I thought about when we won the Champions League but then I thought 'Super Cup, we don't have it, World Cup, we don't have it'.

"Now we have everything."

This season, City have reached the last 16 of the Champions League - where they will face Copenhagen - with two games to spare and a 100% record.

But heading into the busy league period, Guardiola finds his side on 34 points, six behind leaders Arsenal, with only one win in the previous six top-flight games.

"When you don't win, you are nothing, zero," he said. "They are waiting around the corner. People say 'you don't accept criticism'. It is part of the job.

"If you are in the business of being a football manager, you have to accept people will criticise you just because you don't win. OK, we have to try and win the next game.

"What you have done in the past, as much as you win, the more they want you to fail.

"I have felt that since the day we won the sextuple with Barcelona [in 2009]. But the titles we have won are unbelievable.

"People give credit just because we win. You have to look further than that. The moment we don't win, they will pick apart absolutely everything.

"But that is what is nice. It is OK. We go again and we will see what happens."

In the league since 12 November, City have drawn with Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham and Crystal Palace, picked up a 2-1 victory against Luton Town after going a goal down and fallen to a 1-0 defeat by Aston Villa.

Guardiola felt his side played "incredibly well" in the drawn fixtures, but as City did not convert these matches into wins, he said the club's form would be perceived as "a disaster, a crisis, everything".

He did, however, acknowledge Villa "were better" when Unai Emery's side bet them at Villa Park in early December.

Manchester City have agreed a deal to sign Argentina’s Under-17 World Cup star Claudio Echeverri from River Plate for €25m (£21.7m), beating Barcelona to his signature.

The 17-year-old midfielder, who scored a hat-trick over Brazil in the quarter-finals of the tournament in Indonesia last month, will remain with the Argentinian club for another year on loan as part of the deal after City held productive talks this week. Echeverri’s contract expires at the end of next year but he had refused to commit his future beyond then amid interest from the Premier League champions and Barcelona.

Source: Guardian

Jack Grealish: Manchester City footballer's Cheshire home targeted by burglars as he played against Everton

Burglars raided the home of Jack Grealish as the Manchester City footballer was playing earlier this week, reportedly making off with £1m worth of jewellery and watches.

The thieves targeted the England star's Cheshire mansion as he was in action for the Premier League title holders at Everton's Goodison Park in Liverpool on Wednesday night.

Members of Grealish's family and his fiancee Sasha Atwood were watching the televised match at the property when they heard a disturbance, The Sun newspaper reported.

The alarm was raised and an emergency response was launched, with a helicopter, police dogs and a number of officers sent to the property near Knutsford. However, no suspects were detected.

The newspaper said the thieves made off with £1m worth of jewellery and watches from the midfielder's property.

A spokeswoman for Cheshire Constabulary said: "At around 9.50pm on Wednesday 27 December police were called to reports of a burglary.

"The caller reported that a number of items had been stolen.

"Officers, supported by the police dogs and NPAS (National Police Air Service), were deployed and searches were conducted in the local area, but there was no trace of the suspects."

The spokeswoman said "enquiries are ongoing" but police are yet to make any arrests.

Grealish, 28, had helped secure a 3-1 win for Manchester City before he was informed of the raid.

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has said footballers should not post too much on social media after a burglary at Jack Grealish's home.

Thieves raided the 28-year-old England star's Cheshire mansion as he was in action for the Premier League title holders at Everton's Goodison Park in Liverpool on Wednesday night.

Members of Grealish's family and his fiancee Sasha Attwood were at the property at the time when they heard a disturbance and raised the alarm, The Sun reported.

Nobody was harmed but £1m worth of jewellery and watches was reportedly stolen.

It is the latest in a string of raids on the homes of wealthy footballers, including former Manchester City defender Joao Cancelo, who was attacked during a burglary at his home in December 2021.

Chelsea star Raheem Sterling, former Arsenal striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, and ex-Manchester United players Paul Pogba and Angel Di Maria, have also been targeted.

Guardiola said: "They have security but unfortunately it's happened. It's happened many times.

"United players as well. I don't know much about London but it's happened (there), and not just in the UK - I know in Catalonia, where my family lives, many things happen.

"Today you have to be careful, definitely. Not much on social media - the less they know what you are doing the better. People are waiting (to see) where you are, what you are doing.

"Unfortunately it's happened with Joao, which was so scary because the family was attacked.

"Jewellery, money, whatever - it's tough - and the family being there is difficult to process. It's tough for Jack, as it was with Joao before."

Source: Sky News

Final Score: Are Manchester City still favourites for Premier League title?

BBC Final Score's Kevin Campbell, Fara Williams and Nedum Onuoha look at why Pep Guardiola's Manchester City side are favourites to win the Premier League, as they claim it is "City's to lose".

Rodri gave the defending champions an early breakthrough when he latched on to Phil Foden's neat pass and fired into the bottom corner of the net from the edge of the area.

The Blades' packed defence meant City had to wait to add a second but Foden was the provider again when it arrived midway through the second half, with his low cross despatched by Julian Alvarez.

City, who were crowned Fifa Club World Cup winners before Christmas, displayed all five of the major trophies they have won in 2023 on the pitch before kick-off.

It was a reminder to their rivals that they remain the team to beat this season, and so was the sight of Kevin de Bruyne in their squad after more than four months out with a hamstring injury.

The Belgium midfielder did not make it on to the pitch this time, but the sight of him warming up on the touchline in the second half.

Source : BBC Sports

Jack Grealish: Manchester City midfielder says burglary was 'devastating'

Manchester City winger Jack Grealish says he is "devastated" after the "traumatic experience" of thieves burgling his home while he was playing.

Officers were called to reports of a burglary at Grealish's Cheshire house during City's 3-1 Premier League win at Everton on Wednesday.

Jewellery and watches worth £1m were stolen, according to the Sun.

"My family mean the world to me and nothing is more important than ensuring their safety," he wrote on Instagram.

Grealish's partner Sasha Attwood and members of his family were at the property when they heard a disturbance and raised the alarm.

A police search was carried out, supported by dogs and a helicopter, but officers did not find any suspects.

"I can't begin to explain how devastated I am," said England international Grealish.

"This has been a traumatic experience for all of us. I am just so grateful that nobody was hurt.

"I have had so many amazing experiences and achievements over the last 12 months, but to be honest the best year of my life in football now doesn't feel like something I can celebrate.

"The people that commit these terrible crimes have no idea of the damage they cause to peoples lives. I hope they are found and brought to justice so no other family has to go through what we have."

Manchester City's Rodri and Erling Haaland are doubts for the club's FA Cup third round tie against Huddersfield Town.

Manchester City midfielder Rodri has been a key figure in Manchester City's success

Manchester City's Rodri and Erling Haaland are doubts for the club's FA Cup third round tie against Huddersfield Town.

Spain midfielder Rodri could miss Sunday's game following the death of his grandmother.

"Today and tomorrow he will not be here," said Guardiola, whose side won the FA Cup last season.

"Hopefully he will come back for the game but, if he needs to stay, family issues are the most important thing."

Haaland has not played since 6 December because of a foot injury.

Midfielder Kevin de Bruyne and winger Jeremy Doku are back in training after injuries, but Guardiola is unsure if they will figure this weekend or in the club's next Premier League game against Newcastle United on Saturday 13 January.

"Jeremy feels really good and Kevin as well. Kevin was out for a long time so we have to be patient," said the City boss.

"Erling is also a little bit better. It is the bone so that why I have to be a little bit more careful.

"They feel good and are improving. I don't know about Sunday or Newcastle but for the rest they will be ready."

De Bruyne has not featured for City since tearing his hamstring during their Premier League season opener against Burnley on 11 August.

The Belgium international was an unused substitute for a league win over Sheffield United in his side's last game.

Guardiola added that four players in Bernardo Silva, Kalvin Phillips, Matheus Nunes and Scott Carson were struggling with illness.

Source : BBC

Update on Erling Haaland

Manchester City will continue to be without Erling Haaland for Saturday’s Premier League fixture against Newcastle United.

Manchester City Starting XI vs Newcastle United: Ederson; Walker, Dias, Ake, Gvardiol; Rodri, Kovacic; Silva, Foden, Doku; Alvarez.

Man City treble-winner Ederson is named as FIFA Best Men's Goalkeeper for his stellar 2023.​

He beats Real Madrid's Thibaut Courtois and Yassine Bounou - Morocco's goalkeeper - to the award.

Source: SKY

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters says a date has been set for the hearing into Manchester City's alleged breaches of financial rules.

But, speaking in front of MPs, Masters said he could not reveal the date.

Everton, already appealing against a 10-point deduction for a previous charge, and Nottingham Forest were charged for breaching league profit and sustainability rules on Monday.

Masters said he understood why both clubs' fans might be frustrated.

"I can [understand] but they are very different charge" he told the Culture, Media and Sport (CMS) committee.

"If any club, the current champions or otherwise, had been found in breach of the spending rules, they would be in exactly the same position as Everton or Nottingham Forest.

"But the volume and character of the charges laid before Manchester City, which I obviously cannot talk about at all, are being heard in a completely different environment.

"There is a date set for that proceeding. Unfortunately, I can't tell you when that is but it is progressing."

Premier League champions City were charged with more than 100 breaches in February 2023 but are yet to face a hearing.

Everton were handed a 10-point deduction in November, having been referred to an independent commission in March.

Manchester City charged with breaking financial rules by Premier League
Everton receive immediate 10-point deduction for financial rules breach
Everton and Nottingham Forest charged with breaking financial rules
City's charges related to a nine-year time frame from 2009. Since 2009, they have won the top flight seven times, but are facing potential relegation and having titles taken away if the case against them is proven.

They were also charged with failing to co-operate since the Premier League launched its investigation in 2018.

There have been reports the case will be heard at the end of this year, although this has not been confirmed by the Premier League and it seems unlikely there will be a verdict until 2025.

'We will defend ourselves against Premier League charges' - Guardiola

'We have a duty to the other 19 clubs'. Everton and Nottingham Forest's referral to an Independent Commission is for alleged breaches during the three-year period ending 2022-23.

These cases must be heard by 8 April.

Before that, there will be a hearing for Everton's appeal against the first alleged breach which relates to the previous year.

Masters was asked if this was merely an attempt by the Premier League to prove it can operate without a football regulator, something that the government plans to appoint.

"No. We take our rule book very seriously," he responded.

"It is a handshake between all 20 clubs. Clubs look each other in the eye and say we will comply with these rules. They expect the board, if clubs don't comply with those rules, to take action.

"Everton are a very important member of the Premier League, an ever present. But we also have to think about the other 19 clubs and their fanbases in the decisions that we make.

"The charges we made in March 2023, for the first Everton case, were eventually heard in October. We did make a plea at the time to hear the first case before the end of the season but Everton argued against that and the commission agreed with them.

"Nobody likes enforcing these financial rules. They were brought in in 2013-14 with the specific purpose of ensuring that unsustainable spending couldn't go too far and a wrapper was put around how much clubs could invest in pursuit of their aims. It is the first time we have laid a charge in this way."

MP fears Reading owner is trying to 'fold' club
Football League chair Rick Parry sat alongside Masters in front of the panel.

One MP, Damian Green, is a Reading fan and was at Saturday's game against Port Vale which was abandoned after fans invaded the pitch to protest against owner Dai Yongge.

Green outlined the doomsday scenario many supporters are scared of becoming reality.

"The word on the street is that he now doesn't want to sell and is just asset stripping and is doing it quite visibly with players," Green said.

"He is willing to sell any player of any value for what little he can get and wants to be left with the training ground as a piece of property having folded the club.

"He was approved to be an owner and is someone who in two different countries has killed off two football clubs already. It seems to me pretty extraordinary that he was ever allowed into the English game in those circumstances."

Parry said the EFL would be meeting Reading fans on Tuesday but outlined the complexity of the situation.

"We share the fans' concerns absolutely," he said.

"We are trying to take action against Dai Yongge. Just before Christmas, we took action against the owner in an attempt to get the owner disqualified.

"It failed on that occasion. They fined him instead which, frankly, is no use at all. If he won't put money into the club he won't pay the fines.

"Reading sold the stadium and training ground. It is absurd that was allowed to happen. Fortunately, that loophole has been closed.

"What normally happens in this situation is that clubs go into administration. At least then there is a process. It happened with Derby and Wigan.

"It is pretty extraordinary for an owner to effectively sit there and do nothing. That is a new one. We haven't seen that before. It is a fresh challenge and we don't have an instant solution."

FA Cup replays and two-legged EFL Cup semis won't just be scrapped.
Parry said issues around the domestic calendar needed addressing as a matter or urgency.

BBC Sport has previously reported FA Cup replays from round three onwards and two-legged EFL Cup semi-finals will be ditched to create space for more European matches.

However, Parry said that with no deal yet on an increased funding package with the Premier League, who want to impose regulation around what Championship clubs can spend and are yet to agree where the proposed funding of around £900m will come from, the changes won't happen.

"As part of the total system, part of a new deal, we are prepared to take on board considerably less revenue to our clubs from the loss of FA Cup replays and from the second leg of the Carabao [Cup].

"We are absolutely not prepared to concede those on the basis that there is no deal. The 14 clubs who are the non-permanent members of the Premier League have been in there for an average of 13 years each.

"The 14 clubs in the EFL who had the longest tenure in the Premier League also had an average of 13 years in the Premier League. This season those 14 clubs in the Premier League will receive £1.8bn between them, the 14 in EFL will receive less than £90m, that is less than five percent.

Source : BBC

BREAKING: Kalvin Phillips has agreed to join #WHUFC.

Talks between the Hammers and #MCFC over the terms of a loan move are at an advanced stage.

UEFA chief Aleksander Ceferin insists UEFA were right about Manchester City breaching Financial Fair Play rules.

20240124_184225.jpg

Manchester City have announced the signing of Claudio Echeverri from River Plate

Pep Guardiola has hit back at Aleksander Ceferin after the Uefa president said the governing body was “right” to ban Manchester City from European competition for two years for alleged breaches of financial fair play regulations.

City received a ban and €30m fine in 2020 after it was ruled the club had falsely inflated sponsorship revenues over a four-year period but got the decision to prevent them entering the Champions League overturned by the court of arbitration for sport and their fine was reduced to €10m, which City described as a “validation of the club’s position”.

Claudio Echeverri
Manchester City sign £12.5m Echeverri but let him stay at River Plate until 2025

The court found most of the alleged breaches were not established or time-barred but that City had obstructed the investigations. Ceferin told the Telegraph this week: “We know we were right. We wouldn’t decide if we didn’t think we were right.”

Although the Uefa matter is over, City are awaiting the outcome of a Premier League case after receiving more than 100 charges, with a hearing due this year. Ceferin said he did not want to comment on that but acknowledged Everton and Nottingham Forest fans could be frustrated with the amount of time it has taken to conclude City’s case.

“As a lawyer that he is, the president of Uefa, he should wait and after do whatever he wants,” Guardiola said. “The sentence from Uefa he has to respect it and he has to wait. He has a lot of jobs to do at Uefa. To be involved in the case with lawyers, he should respect the procedure and understand we have the right to defend ourselves.”

Guardiola confirmed Erling Haaland was not ready to return for City in the FA Cup fourth-round visit to Tottenham on Friday after a foot problem. Haaland, who has scored 19 goals in 22 appearances this season, returned to full training this week during the club’s winter break in Abu Dhabi but has not sufficiently recovered to make his first appearance since 6 December.

“He is on the verge of coming back,” Guardiola said. “Tomorrow he is not ready but he is close. He trained but is not perfect and we will wait.” John Stones, who has missed the past month with an ankle injury, will be available.

Kalvin Phillips is set to complete his loan move to West Ham. The midfielder has spent 18 months at the Etihad but made only six competitive starts. “Hopefully he can play the minutes he deserves and I couldn’t give to him,” Guardiola said. “I wish him [well]. I’ve said many times he’s an exceptional human being and a football player, otherwise he wouldn’t be in the national team. Hopefully he can prove what he really is.”

Source: The Guardian

In the end, maybe Kalvin Phillips' misfortune at Manchester City boiled down to two simple facts - he is not Rodri and he plays in the same position as Pep Guardiola did.

City spent £45m to sign Phillips on a six-year deal from Leeds just 18 months ago but the midfielder is now on the brink of joining West Ham on loan for the rest of the season.

As has been the case periodically during that time, Guardiola was asked for the specific flaw that has condemned Phillips - one of the standout performers in England's run to the Euro 2020 final and still a part of Gareth Southgate's squad - to just two Premier League starts out of a potential 58.

Typically, Guardiola avoided a direct answer and turned the question on himself.

"I have to be here to help the players develop and be better players and suit what we want to do and I was not able to do it," he said.

"The quality is there. That's why he's in the national team. Look what he's done at Leeds. I regret more myself than Kalvin."

Kyle Walker said he verbally agreed a £15 million deal with Bayern Munich in July because he knew details of his affair were likely to emerge that would make his life in England difficult.

Kyle Walker will remain Manchester City captain, says manager Pep Guardiola​

Kyle Walker will remain Manchester City captain following reports about his private life, says boss Pep Guardiola.

The England defender apologised to his family on Monday after having an extra-marital affair.

The 33-year-old was voted captain by his team-mates after Ilkay Gundogan joined Barcelona in the summer.

Asked if Walker would stay in the role, Guardiola said: "Absolutely, because it's a decision for the team, not mine."

The Spaniard added: "I support him and his family and will not talk one word about players' personal issues."

Walker has won 14 major trophies, including five Premier League titles, since joining City in 2017.

Guardiola also said striker Erling Haaland is likely to return against Burnley on Wednesday after missing eight weeks with a foot injury.

The Norway forward sustained the injury at Aston Villa on 6 December and it was initially thought he would only be out for a month.

However, further tests showed a minor fracture which kept him on the sidelines.

"He will be selected," said Guardiola. "For the first time he is back.

"Erling is an important player for us, definitely. He has been out for two months, which is a long time, but he feels good."

Source: BBC

Laura Blindkilde Brown: Aston Villa midfielder one of three deadline day signings for Manchester City

Manchester City have signed midfielder Laura Blindkilde Brown from Aston Villa.

City are understood to have paid £200,000 for the 20-year-old, who had a successful medical on Tuesday.

Blindkilde Brown is one of three signings made by Gareth Taylor's side on deadline day, along with Durham forward Poppy Pritchard and defender Tara O'Hanlon from Peamount United

All three players have signed a three-and-a-half-year deal.

Blindkilde Brown is seen as a replacement for the injured Jill Roord, who ruptured her anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) last week.

The England youth international has made more than 50 senior appearances for Carla Ward's side and started eight of Villa's 12 Women's Super League matches this season.

oev2eJf.jpeg

Great win against Brentford after going behind early in the match.

Manchester City and Portugal midfielder Bernardo Silva, 29, is a target for Paris St-Germain, with the French champions willing to pay his £51m release clause

Manchester City Starting XI against Chelsea: Ederson; Walker, Dias, Ake, Akanji; Rodri; De Bruyne, Alvarez, Foden, Doku; Haaland.

Guardiola says Man City's success creates sky-high demands

Pep Guardiola said Monday that higher expectations faced by Manchester City are the price of years of success as he prepares his men to face Brentford after a frustrating 1-1 draw against Chelsea.

Guardiola's men enjoyed more than 70 percent possession against Chelsea and had 31 shots but were grateful for a late equaliser by Rodri on a day when Erling Haaland missed a series of clear chances.

But the City boss told reporters, at the eve of match press conference, he was satisfied with his players, denying he was feeling the pressure from in-form Liverpool and Arsenal.

"The last 15 games, we won 13 and we drew two and the two we drew we played to win the game," he said.

"I know the standards we have created because of what we have done in the past," he added. "I understand completely the doubts from people,

"What I am seeing I am more than satisfied. I give credit to Chelsea, who created problems... but in general we were more than decent.

"But I know our standards and you demand our standards for what we have done in the past and I know it's not easy to sustain it. For a long, long, long time we did it. Maybe for 11 months it's not easy but we are there."

Guardiola, whose team are chasing an unprecedented fourth straight Premier League title, was asked whether the demand for perfection was the price of success after so many years of winning trophies.

"Absolutely," he said. "I had the experience at my previous clubs, especially at Barcelona.

"It's an honour, go for it but there will be no effect. We know and we have to continue doing what we try but it's normal... I'm the first to demand myself the team do it for 95 minutes knowing that it's impossible."

Guardiola was asked his opinion about Kylian Mbappe after reports that City officials had met with one of the France captain's entourage.

Mbappe has told Paris Saint-Germain he wants to leave the club, with Real Madrid expected to be his next port of call.

"I think he's quite good," Guardiola said in a deadpan manner. "He has a future. He's really, really good."

Kalvin Phillips: Pep Guardiola apologises to midfielder for 'overweight' comments

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has apologised to Kalvin Phillips for saying the midfielder was "overweight" on his return from the Qatar World Cup.

Guardiola made the comments in December 2022, explaining why Phillips had been left out of his squad for a Carabao Cup fourth-round tie against Liverpool.

Phillips said the comments were "a big knock to my confidence" when asked about them earlier this month.

"I'm sorry," said Guardiola. "I do apologise to him. I'm so sorry."

Guardiola said he spoke to the 28-year-old, who joined West Ham on loan last month, about the issue when he returned from a short break immediately after the World Cup.

"I did speak about that," added the City boss. "I never before said something here [to the media] without speaking to the player."

Manchester City have signed all documents to sign Sávio from July 1. First deal for season 24/25, now completed.

Deal completed with City Football Group side Troyes as Sávio will join for pre season under Pep Guardiola.

Pep Guardiola: Man City boss believes Man Utd 'will be back' with help of Sir Jim Ratcliffe

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola believes Manchester United "will be back" with the help of new investor Sir Jim Ratcliffe.

Ratcliffe's deal to buy a 27.7% stake in Manchester United was completed on 20 February.

The British billionaire says he hopes United can knock cross-city rivals City "off their perch".

Responding to the comments, Guardiola said: "As [soon] as the teams admit it they will be closer to us."

The 53-year-old Catalan added: "If they want to deny it for things that are not the reality then it's their problem - it's not our problem.

"When I've been below teams I've always admired them and thought about what we need to do to be close, to challenge them.

"When we were below and United were winning, we were watching them, admiring them. That's why, for these type of comments, that I have the feeling that they will be back."

BBC

Manchester City starting XI against Bournemouth: Ederson, Stones, Dias, Ake, Rodri, Akanji, Bernardo Silva, Matheus Luiz, Kovacic, Foden, Haaland

Oscar Bobb has signed a new five-year contract to stay at Manchester City until the summer of 2029.

The 20-year-old Norway forward has made 16 appearances for this City this term, with his last-minute Premier League winner at Newcastle one of his two goals for Pep Guardiola's side.

His previous contract at the club had been due to expire in June 2026.

BBC

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola says Jack Grealish will return to his starting line-up on a regular basis when his performances improve.

The England midfielder, 28, started 41 games for City in last season's Treble-winning campaign, including the FA Cup and Champions League finals.

He has started only 19 games this term, including seven in the Premier League.

"He is the same player, he has the same manager, and the way we play has not changed," said Guardiola.

"It's just the way he has performed. That's the difference."

This season, Grealish has had limited top-flight minutes and of his 19 starts, four were in the Community Shield, the European Super Cup, and both ties at the Club World Cup in Saudi Arabia.

He last started a league game on 30 December against Sheffield United, when he was replaced by youngster Oscar Bobb after 52 minutes.

BBC

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola says his side need to focus on tactics and not emotions in Sunday's Premier League derby with Manchester United.

City, who won 3-0 at Old Trafford in October, are 15 points above United.

Both sides are in good form, with second-placed City unbeaten in 18 and United only losing once in 2024.

"What I learn from my experience in these types of games is to be more calm, relax, don't talk about many things," Guardiola said.

"Just focus on tactics and what you have to do to beat them, not about emotions - because emotions will be there, without doubt."

This is the first derby since Sir Jim Ratcliffe became co-owner of United and said he wants to knock City "off their perch" within three years.

City have won five of the past six Premier League titles.

"The 80s was Liverpool, 90s United and now we have won seven Premier Leagues in the last 11 or 12 years," said Guardiola.

"But in 50 or 60 years, there has never been one country where one team always dominates and controls everything. We will try in this organisation to extend this as much as possible for many years.

"Sir Jim Ratcliffe and his people know the diagnosis of their club. I don't know anything about that club.

"If they said they need two or three years to be there, who am I to say the opposite?"

BBC

Pep Guardiola says the injury sustained by Manchester City goalkeeper Ederson during Sunday’s 1-1 draw with Liverpool “doesn’t look good”.

England midfielder Phil Foden, 23, is set to begin talks with Manchester City over a new contract that could make him one of the top earners at the club.

BREAKING: Man City goalkeeper Ederson is facing up to 4 weeks out with the leg injury he sustained at Anfield yesterday

Manchester City midfielder Kevin de Bruyne has not been included in the Belgium squad for friendlies against the Republic of Ireland and England this month because of a groin strain.

The 32-year-old was substituted 69 minutes into the 1-1 Premier League draw with Liverpool on Sunday.

Belgium coach Domenico Tedesco said De Bruyne has struggled with the injury "for the last few matches".

"We can't take a risk now and certainly not with Kevin," he said.

"It is better to give him time to recover well at City and then have him ready for the European Championship."

Belgium face the Republic in Dublin on 23 March and England at Wembley on 26 March.

City meet Newcastle United in the FA Cup quarter-finals on Saturday and Premier League leaders on 31 March.

De Bruyne missed the first five months of the season with a hamstring injury before returning in January.

"I don't know if there is a connection to his hamstring injury," said Tedesco.

"Yesterday I spoke to the doctor and Kevin and we decided the risk is too great. It is our responsibility to take into account the player but also the player's club."

Back