Misbah-ul-Haq suspended for one Test for second minor over-rate offence

SL_Fan

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Post of the Week
ICC MEDIA RELEASE: Misbah suspended for one Test for second minor over-rate offence

Pakistan captain Misbah-ul-Haq has been suspended for one Test and fined 40 per cent of his match fee, while his players have been fined 20 per cent of their match fees, for maintaining a slow over-rate during New Zealand’s eight-wicket victory in the Christchurch Test, which ended on Sunday.

Richie Richardson of the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Match Referees imposed the suspension on Misbah after Pakistan was ruled to be two overs short of its target of 103 overs after time allowances* were taken into consideration**.

In accordance with Article 2.5.1 and Appendix 2 of the ICC Code of Conduct for Players and Players Support Personnel, which deals with minor over-rate offences, players are fined 10 per cent of their match fees for every over their side fails to bowl in the allotted time, with the captain fined double that amount.

As Misbah had previously been found guilty of a minor over-rate offence during The Oval Test against England in August 2016, this offence constituted his second minor over-rate offence within a 12-month period.

The suspension*** means Misbah will miss the second Test against New Zealand which starts in Hamilton on Friday, 25 November.

The charge was laid by on-field umpires Ian Gould and S.Ravi of the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Umpires, third umpire Simon Fry of the Emirates International Panel of ICC Umpires, and fourth official Shaun Haig.

* Time allowances include treatment given to a player; player leaving the field as a result of a serious injury; all third umpire referrals and consultations; time wasting by the batting side; two minutes per wicket taken and four minutes per drinks break (one per session for Test matches)

** Please refer to Appendix 2 of the ICC Code of Conduct for Players and Player Support Personnel to understand how the over-rates are calculated

*** The Code provides for a suspension to be carried forward to a subsequent match if the match where the suspension applies is cancelled, postponed or abandoned, which is not the case here

So since he has applied for a leave, will this count? Or will he have to miss one test after he is back?

Never mind, according to the article, its the former, i.e., he doesn't need to miss an additional match

I suppose this means he'll be absent from the first test in Australia.

hes part of the squad, so the next game will count as a suspension.

good timing to be honest. had this suspension come during the australia game, would had hurt us

I suppose this means he'll be absent from the first test in Australia.

Nope he's missing the second test for NZ.....

The best part is that all the offences have been reset now and in Australia he'll start with a clean slate !!

I think Cook is also on thin ice with respect to over rate in the current series. Wonder if the Indian spinners making up the overs helps Cook to get away?

He will be available for the 3 tests in Australia so that is crucial, time for Azhar to prove his worth as future leader of this team.

He will be available for the 3 tests in Australia so that is crucial, time for Azhar to prove his worth as future leader of this team.

Azhar doesn't look aggressive & independent in ODI's would be interesting how he goes about in TEST. I hope he is not bullied by coach and managers wrt team selection and tactics when he takes over.

does this law take into account the time wastages of DRS?

This seems somewhat manufacturerd. ICC knows that Misbah is going to miss a game. His over rate hasn't been good for a while. Perfect time to suspend him to ensure neither Pak fans nor Pak team are made to feel upset. Not that I am complaining, but the timing is clearly more than a coincidence.

Had Misbah been playing the second game, I'm more that sure that he would have got a fine at most.

Lagged behind only two overs, and 40% fees deducted? That is harsh, we saw poorer overrates in UAE series I guess, two overs is not a big margin

Should be a limit on how long a drink's break can last. Currently they're taking 15 minutes. ICC should put a time limit on it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Strange that a player gets banned for a slow over-rate but doesn't get banned after being caught ball tampering for the second time <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/801005365018103816">November 22, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ball tampering should be an instant ban.. none of this 1st, 2nd offence nonsense! its cheating! where as over-rates is a completely different aspect of the game.

Pakistan is so so lucky he isnt banned for a match in Aussie! Could be crucial to that series

Hope Misbah comes back recovered from what would be a very difficult time for his family.

I think Cook is also on thin ice with respect to over rate in the current series. Wonder if the Indian spinners making up the overs helps Cook to get away?
As far as I know, new clock starts after every innings.

Back