Misbah-ul-Haq's future after retirement

mmkextreme_1

T20I Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
I was reading a recent interview of Misbah's and started thinking whether Misbah would be a good candidate as a future PCB Chairman. Before some of you guys go berserk on me, its not a bad idea in any stretch of the imagination. Read the following from his interview:

Every person has their own nature. People say Misbah is lazy and it saddens me. How can a person be captaining Pakistan A, Departments for 12-13 years, someone who completed their education BSC double Maths and Physics, then did an MBA, all whilst playing cricket, then captaining the Pakistan national side. If a lazy person can do all that, then it's fine to be lazy!”

He is educated, has an MBA, which obviously means he is qualified to handle the financial aspects of the board and also has a vast understanding of cricket itself. To my understanding (maybe someone can correct me on this), we have never had someone of such understanding as a PCB chairman. He would be the ideal man for the job, certainly has all the qualities that we would/do require of a PCB chairman.

“If people say things to me, you are not ruining my image, you are hurting the image of the Pakistani cricket captain, whether it's me or someone else, you are hurting the country. I could return in comments in kind, I'm not afraid of anybody, but if I do that there will be no difference between them and me”

Another statement by captain sensible and I have no doubts that he would make a great chairman.
Another major aspect to look at is, during his reign, we have been controversy free, which is a huge plus and something that is a rarity in Pakistan cricket. Captain cool took over the team during its worst phase and to my understanding has done an exceptional job in transforming the team (yes we have had our losses, but with the team/talent given, he has done a decent job).

I feel in the recent times, we have lacked a PCB chairman that has a vast understanding of cricket and at the sametime is educated and understands what the role requires, Misbah fits the role perfectly. Certainly has been a great ambassador for the game of cricket and Pakistan itself. I know its a little pre-mature to think of such a thing yet, but not a idea to look into the future as well.

Discuss.

Ramiz is also an MBA and was made CEO but what happened

Over the years we had likes of ijaz butt so we do not uave high standards, almost anyone can do.

Ramiz is also an MBA and was made CEO but what happened

It is obvious how much cricket knowledge Ramiz has, was a total failure as a player, and you can also see how much of a tool he is in the commentary box.

Misbah on the other hand, has the best of both worlds. Would you ever see Ramiz handle the media as well as Misbah does?

His Nature is Soft, so should be a great chairperson and he has aggressive nature; but i feel he still inside sad his early day of cricket were ruined by M.Yousuf ,Iniz and younus ... he could have easily have over 5000 runs in both odi and test till now...

Every person has their own nature. People say Misbah is lazy and it saddens me. How can a person be captaining Pakistan A, Departments for 12-13 years, someone who completed their education BSC double Maths and Physics, then did an MBA, all whilst playing cricket, then captaining the Pakistan national side. If a lazy person can do all that, then it's fine to be lazy!”

Add to that the fact that Misbah is cool headed, doesn't crumble under pressure and knows how to respond/negotiate against difficulties. I say he'd make a great Chairman.

His Nature is Soft, so should be a great chairperson and he has aggressive nature; but i feel he still inside sad his early day of cricket were ruined by M.Yousuf ,Iniz and younus ... he could have easily have over 5000 runs in both odi and test till now...

Well he seems to have no grudges or regrets about the past judging from last night's interview. And why should he? Right now he's at the peak of his career and despite a few noisy critics he has developed a massive following within and outside Pakistan amongst both fans and pundits.

i think misbah is a sensible man he would make a good chairman

I doubt he will stick around in cricket but I would rather see him in a more hands-on role such as director of the NCA.

would not want him to sully his image and be mired in the politics of Chairmanship.

I'd say definitely. Cool-headed, calm, composed, smart, cricketing knowledge and experience, and above all, thick skin and the ability to handle the media. He should be our first choice when he retires.

Unfortunately, our cricketing board is governed by politics...Misbah doesn't seem like that kind of guy.

An actual cricketer as the PCB Chairman.

I think that's too good to come true, sadly.

Unfortunately, our cricketing board is governed by politics...Misbah doesn't seem like that kind of guy.

That is one the biggest let backs of our nation and cricket board, only way this can be fixed if ICC decides to grow a piar and completely implement upon the rule of abolishing political influence from cricket boards. Or if Imran Khan becomes PM.

An actual cricketer as the PCB Chairman.

I think that's too good to come true, sadly.

Have hope, cricketer with an actual brain!

I think it's a good Idea, however in Pakistan whoever is in power wants to also be incharge of the Pakistani cricket affairs, so it may never happen.

I was reading a recent interview of Misbah's and started thinking whether Misbah would be a good candidate as a future PCB Chairman. Before some of you guys go berserk on me, its not a bad idea in any stretch of the imagination. Read the following from his interview:

He is educated, has an MBA, which obviously means he is qualified to handle the financial aspects of the board and also has a vast understanding of cricket itself. To my understanding (maybe someone can correct me on this), we have never had someone of such understanding as a PCB chairman. He would be the ideal man for the job, certainly has all the qualities that we would/do require of a PCB chairman.

“If people say things to me, you are not ruining my image, you are hurting the image of the Pakistani cricket captain, whether it's me or someone else, you are hurting the country. I could return in comments in kind, I'm not afraid of anybody, but if I do that there will be no difference between them and me”

Another statement by captain sensible and I have no doubts that he would make a great chairman.
Another major aspect to look at is, during his reign, we have been controversy free, which is a huge plus and something that is a rarity in Pakistan cricket. Captain cool took over the team during its worst phase and to my understanding has done an exceptional job in transforming the team (yes we have had our losses, but with the team/talent given, he has done a decent job).

I feel in the recent times, we have lacked a PCB chairman that has a vast understanding of cricket and at the sametime is educated and understands what the role requires, Misbah fits the role perfectly. Certainly has been a great ambassador for the game of cricket and Pakistan itself. I know its a little pre-mature to think of such a thing yet, but not a idea to look into the future as well.

Discuss.

Muhammad Khan ji, Why only PCB chairman? How about Misbah for President and prime minster as well? It will be a nice three-in-one.

I think he could be a very good choice for Director Cricket Operations or Chief Operating Officer type of role. Chairman, CEO or MD are roles where you need people with lot of connections (In good ways) & leadership visions. Basically, these people should hardly indulge into operational affairs, rather they should be occupied in policy making & facilitation (It's a bargain everywhere with Government as resources are limited). Probably the best PCB Chairman I can recall was Arif Ali Khan Aabbasi, I think a bureaucrat.

I think Misbah's knowledge & experience 'll be better used in the role for which Miandad is taking lot of money.

Misbah as a selector/manager after he retires ... ?

He has played for long in domestic, he is qualified, knows how to carry himself, a hard worker ... Not a big mouth like Afridi etc ...

We should definitely use him once he is retired ...

He has played for long in domestic, he is qualified, knows how to carry himself, a hard worker ... Not a big mouth like Afridi etc ...

could be a good coach.

I would actually go as far as advocating the Chairman position for him.

Sensible and calm person.

Why not? His approach will definitely be very professional as compared to some others ex-cricketers.

No way as a selector !
He him self struggled all those years in domestic cricket but it seems he has forgotten it.

Hardly gives players a chance with good domestic records.

Haris
Fawad
Sadaf etc

Also the way he uses the likes of maqsood and ua is pretty poor.

His love affair with azhar hafeez and shafiq is pretty annoying as well.

I think he will the PM of Pakistan one day and be the savior of this country.

He is destined to be the next Jinnah, but his career path is following that of Imran but he's much more intelligent, mature and stable. I see a bright future for him, he will not be done with Pakistan cricket or the country with his retirement.

He has only just started.

bump.

I still stand by this. I think after Misbah retires, he shouldn't delink himself completely from Pakistan cricket, he is one of the few positives that we have in our cricketing system. Certainly shouldn't let that go to waste.

A restraining order should be filed against Misbah, for the role of selector.

His selections are simply terrible.

He is very well educated, played a lot domestic cricket and chooses his words wisely in front of the media, so he should be able to get a position somewhere within the pcb's ranks.

He is destined to be the next Jinnah, but his career path is following that of Imran but he's much more intelligent, mature and stable. I see a bright future for him, he will not be done with Pakistan cricket or the country with his retirement.

Legit or trolling :afridi

Let the guy just have a peaceful retirement at home with his family. Don't want him getting involved in the politics of administration. I think he's had his fill of Pakistan cricket.

He is too intelligent and articulated to be not utilized post-retirement but it depends on how willing he is.

Muhammad Khan ji, Why only PCB chairman? How about Misbah for President and prime minster as well? It will be a nice three-in-one.

You are right. Misbah had captained in t20s, Odis, and tests so it's perfect. That's 3 and he will manage 3 again.

He could make a good manager, and then work his way up to the chairman's office.

He doesn't have any corporate or bureaucratic experience which is necessary for the top job.

The team's suffering just because of his illogical team selection and negative mind set on the field, If he's given a chance to be the Chairman, then future of Pakistan cricket is in big trouble!!

It would to be totally unpakistani to give Misbah a role in PCB after he retires... it would make too much sense.

Would you like to see Misbah-ul-Haq as PCB chairman after 5-10 years?

He has got a stable and responsible head on his shoulders. I know pakistani fans wanted to see Imran Khan leading Pakistan Cricket but to me Misbah would become a better chairman than all of them.

Should aim to work with the icc, so that his fortunes are not tied to a specific government while working for PCB.

He has got a stable and responsible head on his shoulders. I know pakistani fans wanted to see Imran Khan leading Pakistan Cricket but to me Misbah would become a better chairman than all of them.

Dont see him as chairman cricket board untill he got backing of any political party. Mostly cricket board chairmen were appointed due to political influence in past.

I see him coaching IPL team in near future. :sanga

Dont see him as chairman cricket board untill he got backing of any political party. Mostly cricket board chairmen were appointed due to political influence in past.

I see him coaching IPL team in near future. :sanga

If he decides to get involved in cricket after retirement. It will most probably be him trying to create players association, we've seen him taking lead into tax relaxation and talking to Finance minister Ishaq Dar on behalf of team.

is there any truth that they are actually related?

Really??? How non pakistani of both of them not making an issue about it.....where people name drop someone who lives in the next street at a relative if need be

PCB Chairman isn't a role that requires cricketing knowledge, it's about administration and politics. Given that the PCB Chairman changes depending on what the government feels like when they wake up I'd say he should steer clear of the role.

ideally, you need a politician with administrative background, who can handle the media pressure and control the background politics all the while making the board PROFITABLE. That is the most important thing right now, PCB needs an injection of funds and have to cut down drastically on over-the-top expenses. Only a seasoned administrator can do the task.

Can Misbah do it? sure why not. We have had Ijaz Butt and Naseem Ashraf as chairman so any other cricketer including Misbah will be an upgrade. Misbah can be a good media manager thou IMO, he'll struggle to deal with the inevitable politics revolving around Chairman seat

I think he will go into coaching, can totally see him as coach of Pakistan one day.

One thing is for sure he will do some work with overseas television networks as a tv pundit.

This nearly happened at the last World T20 but things fell through.

sure, why not. Wouldn't mind him as our Chairman. Wouldn't want him as a coach though.

Misbah is just not coaching material

bad judge of a talent (Usman Shinwari and Sarfraz Ahmed two contrasting examples)
dont get a clear reading of where certain player is going wrong. Doesnt involve in personal training of a player
dont do the prep talk (not sure if he can motivate players)

Misbah is just not coaching material

bad judge of a talent (Usman Shinwari and Sarfraz Ahmed two contrasting examples)
dont get a clear reading of where certain player is going wrong. Doesnt involve in personal training of a player
dont do the prep talk (not sure if he can motivate players)

yeah, he just recognised Saeed Ajmal, the highest wicket taker in intl cricket for the past 4 seasons.

hilariously dumb post even by your standards.

He's probably going to chill for a couple years though, said he wants to spend time with family and play tests after WC.

he should become the prime minister of Pakistan, we need someone who can bring stability in the country

yeah, he just recognised Saeed Ajmal, the highest wicket taker in intl cricket for the past 4 seasons.

hilariously dumb post even by your standards.

you joking buddy? Ajmal was a established cricketer in 2010 before grandpa took charge of the proceedings ! :uakmal

you joking buddy? Ajmal was a established cricketer in 2010 before grandpa took charge of the proceedings ! :uakmal

go read about their history together, you really are quite clueless.

Director of cricket, given responsibility for all the different teams, hiring and firing of coaches and the development of Young players.

go read about their history together, you really are quite clueless.

Yeah I'm clueless about these two Faislabadiss but you havnt mentioned how he helped Ajmal as he was already established into the national team.

What else is there on his CV? I cant recall him ever backing a young talent so help me out here buddy !

Can't do any worse can he? Of course even more people will start hating him, but he can handle it.

Discuss.
he would be a great chairman but like most things in pak cricket logical is not the best

Yeah I'm clueless about these two Faislabadiss but you havnt mentioned how he helped Ajmal as he was already established into the national team.

What else is there on his CV? I cant recall him ever backing a young talent so help me out here buddy !
He was the one who told then captain Malik and coach Lawson to try Ajmal, and the rest is history.

the emergence of the likes of Rahat Ali, Junaid Khan, Azhar Ali & Asad Shafiq can be largely credited to Misbah too.

Bump.

Now that it's almost a certainty that Najam Sethi will be removed from Chairman duties. I think the Imran Khan should consider him as an option. Let's not mix his batting style with Chairman duties.

Bump.

Now that it's almost a certainty that Najam Sethi will be removed from Chairman duties. I think the Imran Khan should consider him as an option. Let's not mix his batting style with Chairman duties.
Well one wrong thing about the system is government involvment. PM should not be electing the cricket board chairman. Sethi can be kicked out alright, but the next person should come through a democratic process.

Well one wrong thing about the system is government involvment. PM should not be electing the cricket board chairman. Sethi can be kicked out alright, but the next person should come through a democratic process.

Well, the fact is that change isn't going to happen overnight. So in the meantime, it is what it is. I think Misbah-ul-Haq would be a great candidate for this role. Heck, he could even work on/put in place a system that could allow a democratic process to pick a chairman. Imran Khan can task him with this responsibility, I'm pretty sure he would do a great job in developing some sort of method.

Misbah's still playing in various leagues and until that happens he can't be PCB Chairman.

However I do hope that Imran Khan uses Misbah's immense knowledge of the game and ideas when he finalises who will be involved in the PCB set-up going forward.

I honestly think he is the best person for the job.. why?

1. He is educated and has a business degree. So he has the academic qualifications.

2. He is a clam and level headed person and as captain has shown he has diplomatic skills.

3. He is honest and has had to work hard for everything he achieved in cricket so he knows the value of hard work and honesty.

4. He is a very recently retired international cricketer so he is well aware of the modern game and the challenges in the modern game. He won’t be someone from an era bygone who is oblivious to the challenges Pakistan cricket faces in modern times.

I honestly think he is the best person for the job.. why?

1. He is educated and has a business degree. So he has the academic qualifications.

2. He is a clam and level headed person and as captain has shown he has diplomatic skills.

3. He is honest and has had to work hard for everything he achieved in cricket so he knows the value of hard work and honesty.

4. He is a very recently retired international cricketer so he is well aware of the modern game and the challenges in the modern game. He won’t be someone from an era bygone who is oblivious to the challenges Pakistan cricket faces in modern times.

Try telling this to all the PP'ers who complained about his ODI stewardship. Anyway, he should be free to decide for himself what he wants to do.

Try telling this to all the PP'ers who complained about his ODI stewardship. Anyway, he should be free to decide for himself what he wants to do.

What does his ODI or test captaincy have anything to do with this? His experience in international cricket does but not his runs scored or victories and defeats. All they do is give us some manner of idea about his ability as a sportsman but this is a leadership/management role. I feel he is better qualified than Wasim Akram or even Imran Khan himself

Oh well..

Back