Mohammad Hasnain replaces Shaheen Shah Afridi in the Pakistan squad for the ACC T20 Asia Cup

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Mohammad Hasnain will replace Shaheen Shah Afridi in the Pakistan squad for the ACC T20 Asia Cup, which will be played in the United Arab Emirates from 27 August to 11 September.

22-year-old Hasnain has represented Pakistan in 18 T20Is in which he has taken 17 wickets.

Hasnain will join the side from the United Kingdom, where he is representing Oval Invincibles in The Hundred competition.

Meanwhile, Asif Ali, Haider Ali, Iftikhar Ahmed and Usman Qadir will leave for Dubai in the wee hours of Tuesday. They will replace Abdullah Shafique, Imam-ul-Haq, Mohammad Haris, Salman Ali Agha and Zahid Mehmood, who were part of the 16-member ODI squad against the Netherlands.

Pakistan will take on India in their opener in Dubai on Sunday, 28 August, while their second Group A fixture will be against a qualifier (UAE, Kuwait, Singapore or Hong Kong) in Sharjah on Friday, 2 September. The Super Four matches will be played from 3-9 September.

Pakistan squad for ACC T20 Asia Cup - Babar Azam (captain) (Central Punjab), Shadab Khan (vice-captain) (Northern), Asif Ali (Northern), Fakhar Zaman (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa), Haider Ali (Northern), Haris Rauf (Northern), Iftikhar Ahmed (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa), Khushdil Shah (Southern Punjab), Mohammad Hasnain (Sindh), Mohammad Nawaz (Northern), Mohammad Rizwan (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa), Mohammad Wasim Jnr (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa), Naseem Shah (Southern Punjab), Shahnawaz Dahani (Sindh) and Usman Qadir (Central Punjab).

Huge risk - given his action is new and a lot of eyes on him.

Hasnain has improved a lot

Deserves this call up

I think Faheem Ashraf or Imad Wasim could have been a safer and better option as a replacement.

Should've been a leftie
Amir,imad,rumaan ..
Imad could've added some help in non existent middle order

Last edited:
Hasnain has improved a lot

Deserves this call up

I understand but the eyes of the world (India) will be on him - too much pressure. Should have played one PSL before being considered again

I understand but the eyes of the world (India) will be on him - too much pressure. Should have played one PSL before being considered again
Pakistan has the easy option of picking a reliable Mohammad Amir but I guess they don’t want to break their rules and principles out of desperation

They could have also gone back to Hassan Ali but that too would be a backwards step as Hassan has done nothing of note to suggest he is better than the current crop of bowlers picked

You either have to take a big risk by picking an unknown commodity or a safe risk by taking someone who is visibly in the scene and you know what his strengths and weaknesses are.

What have Pakistan lost in SSA?

-a 6ft 5 inch left arm seamer who bowls above 145kmh
-a fantastic opening spell bowler
-a potent middle overs return spell bowler capable of breaking partnerships
-overall, someone who intimidates through a reputation and demands respect from the opposition batsmen

There is nothing like that in Pakistan. He is irreplaceable. However the punt they have taken with Hasnain.

-a 6ft 2 inch bowler who hits the deck hard at 140k+
-a solid bouncer in his Arsenal
-plenty of franchise cricket experience. He has been bowling superbly in the hundred against some of the best Batsmen from England, Australia and South Africa.

Hasnain was the perfect fit IMO. Let’s not focus too much on the action because that’s not in our hands. He has been cleared and no suspicion since returning. I don’t think he will walk into the XI because Pakistan most likely will go with Rauf, Naseem and Wasim Jr as their 3 seamers. But I don’t see anything wrong with adding Hasnain as the 3rd or 4th seamer in the side of needed. He is capable of replacing Rauf if need be so

This is where pakistan scores over India. They are selecting a 90mph bowler into the team for the Asia cup.

Indian selectors play Thakur Chahar etc.

This new found love for avg trundlers/bowlers who can bat is going to backfire massively.

The likes of Umran Kuldeep Mohsin Tyagi all are sitting at home.

Huge risk - given his action is new and a lot of eyes on him.
Hasnain has played three matches for Oval Invincibles and no one questioned his action.English umpires are some of the best in the world.

Fair decision. Has been doing decently in the hundred. Action looks better with possibly better control for him as well.

Yes a risk consisting he hasn't played much high profile matches for Pakistan but, then there were not much options. Already 4 seamers available other than him and thats more than enough in UAE. If he gets a go its not like he has no international experience at all. Another risk is new action but, thanks to the hundred he has already used it in the match with good success and pace.

My recommendation would be Rumman Raess. He has pace, variety, accurancy, economy and wicket taking ability. He is doing well in the current KPL. He was the Man of the Match in a recent game.

Big relief for fans as Hassan Ali is not named as replacement.

However should have been any leftie, but we didn't have options either.

People who want to selector players based on KPL performances, please note that KPL is by no means is an international standard league. Any tom dick and harry can perform well having slightest of abilities.

Would have perferred left hander , but i am fine with this pick as well.

I do not think he will play on the 28th. Possible he might see some games later on.

One thing that is a plus is he can bat a bit too and can hit some boundaries. Since our middle order is weak, we will need some batting from our bowlers, which he can do a bit of.

This is where pakistan scores over India. They are selecting a 90mph bowler into the team for the Asia cup.

This new found love for avg trundlers/bowlers who can bat is going to backfire massively.

Valid point bro.
We have no one with real gas who can push batsmen onto back foot
& we still going back to legend Sir Bhuvi 120kmph trundler Sobers who surely must know someone high up in the BCCI to get selected in som many series whilst being bog averge mediocre and just doing enough once in 10 matches to get by
i wish any of the names you have mentioned above was selected.

It's unlikely Hasnain plays in this tournament at all unless there's another injury or two. Heck, in UAE it may even make sense to opt in for a 3rd spinner instead of seamer if there's injuries.

The bowling is regressing under the Dravid/Rohit era. You guys are reversing all the good that Kohli and Ravi did for indian fast bowling.

Pakistan has the easy option of picking a reliable Mohammad Amir but I guess they don’t want to break their rules and principles out of desperation

They could have also gone back to Hassan Ali but that too would be a backwards step as Hassan has done nothing of note to suggest he is better than the current crop of bowlers picked

You either have to take a big risk by picking an unknown commodity or a safe risk by taking someone who is visibly in the scene and you know what his strengths and weaknesses are.

-overall, someone who intimidates through a reputation and demands respect from the opposition batsmen

There is nothing like that in Pakistan. He is irreplaceable. However the punt they have taken with Hasnain.

-plenty of franchise cricket experience. He has been bowling superbly in the hundred against some of the best Batsmen from England, Australia and South Africa.

Hasnain was the perfect fit IMO. Let’s not focus too much on the action because that’s not in our hands. He has been cleared and no suspicion since returning. I don’t think he will walk into the XI because Pakistan most likely will go with Rauf, Naseem and Wasim Jr as their 3 seamers. But I don’t see anything wrong with adding Hasnain as the 3rd or 4th seamer in the side of needed. He is capable of replacing Rauf if need be so

Md Amir and reliable?

Amir is still retired.

Why would they pick someone who is not available.

Can anyone please upload his latest bowling videos in the hundred if available??? And what are his avg speeds there???

He only takes wickets of tailenders.. we should only keep for net practicing for our batsmen

'It’s a tough decision...': Inzamam explains why Shaheen's injury is 'massive setback' for Pakistan ahead of Asia Cup
The injury to the 22-year-old Afridi a major blow to Pakistan's chances in the six-nation tournament starting in the United Arab Emirates from August 27

Shaheen Shah Afridi has been ruled out of the upcoming Asia Cup after being advised a four-six weeks rest by the medical team following an injury to the right knee ligament. The injury to the 22-year-old is a major blow to Pakistan's chances in the six-nation tournament starting in the United Arab Emirates from August 27. His injury has already forced him to miss the second Test in Sri Lanka last month. Also Read | Shubman Gill surpasses Rohit Sharma, joins Virat Kohli, Yuvraj in unique list with maiden ODI century in IND vs ZIM tie

Shaheen, who had anchored Pakistan's upset win over India in last year's T20 World Cup, will be absent from the blockbuster August 28 fixture between the arch-rivals. Former Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq has commented on the blow, describing it as a "tough" call for Babar Azam and co.

“It’s a massive setback for Pakistan that Shaheen Afridi is out of the Asia Cup. If you look at the last match against India, he created pressure right from the very first over in the previous edition of the T20 World Cup," said Inzamam on his YouTube channel.

"It’s a tough decision for Pakistan as Shaheen has been ruled out of the tournament, but injuries are part of the game.”

Inzamam also spoke about the India-Pakistan game where emotions always run high. In their previous meeting at the same venue, which was their opener in the 2021 T20 World Cup, India had suffered their first ever loss to Pakistan in a World Cup tie with captain Babar Azam, Mohammad Rizwan and Shaheen starring in the historic win.

“It will be a thrilling match since India versus Pakistan matches are always entertaining. We can witness exciting cricket action since both teams are good in T20Is," said the former batter.

Inzamam also pinpointed how Pakistan batters barring skipper Babar have failed to score at a consistent rate, which could eventually hamper their chances in the continental competition.

“I am tensed about one particular aspect of Pakistan cricket. For example, Fakhar Zaman scored a century against the Netherlands but got quiet in the next couple of innings. Other players like Muhammad Rizwan also hit a century but didn’t continue their form. Babar Azam is the only player who is scoring runs consistently.

“When you enter a tournament like the Asia Cup, it gets challenging because if Babar gets out, other players need to take responsibility. If you find the touch, try to continue it. There should not be a gap of 2-3 innings. It won’t take your team to new heights," added Inzamam.

Mohammad Hasnain will replace the injured Shaheen. The 22-year-old is currently playing for Oval Invincibles in the Hundred competition in England.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...kistan-ahead-of-asia-cup-101661166140543.html

Really odd decision. Husnain clearly needs more time with his new action before being ready for international duty

TBH, Asia Cup is not that important. I think it is a good tournament to see if Hasnain can do well with his new action.

Hasnain is probably too good for Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Sri Lankan batsmen even now.

He has been bowling really well against the likes of Maxwell, Stoinis, Morgan etc.

Hasnain playing his last game of the 100 for The Oval Invincibles:

Today’s match against Birmingham Phoenix will be the last fixture of the tournament for which overseas player Mohammad Hasnain is available. He has been called up by Pakistan for the Asia Cup which begins on Saturday. A replacement overseas player is TBC.

Not many other options really to replace Shaheen.

Hassan Ali has been in poor form - can't think of many other options to be honest.

Hasnain playing his last game of the 100 for The Oval Invincibles:

Today’s match against Birmingham Phoenix will be the last fixture of the tournament for which overseas player Mohammad Hasnain is available. He has been called up by Pakistan for the Asia Cup which begins on Saturday. A replacement overseas player is TBC.

2 no balls and a wide.. today

He is unlikely to get any games unless someone gets injured

Saqlain Mushtaq in a presser

"For a very long time, these three (Naseem Shah, Mohammad Hasnain, and Haris) have been executing the plans and requirements of the Pakistan cricket team. The captain and I as head coach have full confidence in them. There is no need to worry, Shaheen used to lead the attack but unfortunately, he is not here because of injury. They can change the game on their day"

Saqlain Mushtaq in a presser

"For a very long time, these three (Naseem Shah, Mohammad Hasnain, and Haris) have been executing the plans and requirements of the Pakistan cricket team. The captain and I as head coach have full confidence in them. There is no need to worry, Shaheen used to lead the attack but unfortunately, he is not here because of injury. They can change the game on their day"

Criminal to ignore Dahani even after Waseem injury.

Should reserve the genuine fast bowlers for test cricket. No point wasting them in T20s at such an early stage of their careers

Chahar , Thakur , Bhuvi are perfect for these T20 games !

The bit of what I have seen him, he is a spraygun. Will leak runs for fun :warner

Hasnain in Dubai .... will Pakistan risk him against India?

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.604%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/02o9vy" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Good change for Hasnain to play against India tomorrow - provided the "we need experience of Hassan" brigade doesn't come in the picture!

He should definitely play over Hasan who is in horrendous form and shouldn't even be in the squad. But I still question if he has got his action down. Because when someone has a dodgy action they tend to revert back to it quite often even after they have remodeled it.

Thank God, picked for the Super 4 game vs India

He needs to play the same l&l like Dahani. Just back of a length,extract bounce and with that pace and carry, trouble for any batsman in the world

Is this Hasnain's first match for Pakistan since his action remodelling?

Back