Mohammad Rizwan "The criticism seems to be dying down a bit, so I must be doing something right"

We prefer a fit non performing player over someone who can win you a game single handedly but isn’t 100% fit based on weight!

Last edited by a moderator:
Something that the Pakistani commentators are scared to do.

They prefer to massage the egos of the Pakistani players.

He was also not impressed by Rizwan's century in that game against Karachi. He felt that just because Rizwan was able to hit out successfully at the end and eventually end up 110 not out of 60 deliveries did not excuse him being 40 runs of 40 deliveries at the start because if he batted with more intensity early on, Multan would have ended up with 230 plus instead of 197 in the end.

He was also not impressed by Rizwan's century in that game against Karachi. He felt that just because Rizwan was able to hit out successfully at the end and eventually end up 110 not out of 60 deliveries did not excuse him being 40 runs of 40 deliveries at the start because if he batted with more intensity early on, Multan would have ended up with 230 plus instead of 197 in the end.

Yes. He clearly said ‘there is no such thing as making up for the balls you have missed as your inning’s progresses’.

That’s one of the excuses Rizwan fans bank on when defending Rizwan’s poor powerplay and first 40 runs in every innings he plays

That was lucky for Rizwan Malik and Haider botched a simple chase or it should have been a loss.

Yes that day he made up the strike rate but that’s one in ten like I’ve said before a combination of a flat pitch and weaker bowling helped on this occasion that doesn’t happen always as we’ve seen most of the time the slow low risk approach doesn’t work.

A prime example is the Asia Cup final where a run a ball 50 from Rizwan cost Pakistan the match getting out early would have given other batsmen a better chance chasing the score.

Other examples are the semi final versus Australia where Rizwan played the most balls but simply didn’t score enough neither did Babar in big matches for Pakistan 90% of the time the openers have failed to deliver or played too slow costing the team the extra runs required to win.

It's a risky policy which relies on 3 things:

Rizwan not being dismissed
Rizwan being able to dramatically increase his strike-rate
Rizwan's team-mates being able to play brilliant innings right from the word go

It's a risky policy which relies on 3 things:

Rizwan not being dismissed
Rizwan being able to dramatically increase his strike-rate
Rizwan's team-mates being able to play brilliant innings right from the word go

I’m glad you are finally understanding why I have been religiously against this guy

I know this game. I know the players

I’m glad you are finally understanding why I have been religiously against this guy

I know this game. I know the players

No - many seem to have issues with his batting skills.

What Saj is saying above is NOT what you have been saying.

No - many seem to have issues with his batting skills.

What Saj is saying above is NOT what you have been saying.

It’s part of it. The wrong type of player in the wrong position

2R4gyjm.jpg

Back at the top of the leading run scorers chart

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/fxd0jm" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Mohammad Rizwan wins the best wicket-keeper of Pakistan Super League 8 award

Led multan to final
Highest run scorer
And kept flawlessly as ever

Another great tournament for rizwan

Led multan to final
Highest run scorer
And kept flawlessly as ever

Another great tournament for rizwan

The best things were getting to the final and captaincy pre final the worst was having the lowest strike rate despite being the top scorer and typically failing to show his best in a big match with the bat.

Fakhar Zaman has opened for LQ and become a two time PSL champion

He also has an ICC winners medal as an opener

Pakistan have their priorities wrong

Credit where due - he has clearly worked a bit on his off side game which is good to see.

However, the worrying thing is his strike rate is still not great even after some adjustment.

I think - and I hate to say it - it comes down to a lack of guts to really sacrifice his stats.

Credit where due - he has clearly worked a bit on his off side game which is good to see.

However, the worrying thing is his strike rate is still not great even after some adjustment.

I think - and I hate to say it - it comes down to a lack of guts to really sacrifice his stats.

I think the likes of Riz have done well on their strike rate Which is in the 140s

Players like him who are all format players and their game built on as juniors on technique and not getting out arent gonna become hitters and strike at 170+ Its small improvements every year which we are seeing

Last edited:
I recon in PSL you can strike the ball at 130 by default in the powerplay

His off side game has improved and he continues to score 50s for fun

Could have been his second championship in the last 3 years but Khushdil had other plans

I feel, by the end of the tournament, he was starting to take more chances. That’s why he got out to Rashid yesterday. Still a work in progress, re: his strike rate, and he can improve.

I think the likes of Riz have done well on their strike rate Which is in the 140s

Players like him who are all format players and their game built on as juniors on technique and not getting out arent gonna become hitters and strike at 170+ Its small improvements every year which we are seeing

That’s fine, then he shouldn’t be opening - you need your big hitters in the powerplay.

This zid by babar and Riz to open is holding back every team they play in

He’s not better than DeQock and Butler as a keeper/Batter :)))

De Kock is not even close.

Butler is potentially an all format legend but you if you look at pure keeping skills and batting consistency in T20, nobody is better than Riz.

De Kock is not even close.

Butler is potentially an all format legend but you if you look at pure keeping skills and batting consistency in T20, nobody is better than Riz.

DeQock is class

He is that guy. Rizwan isn’t

De kock is overated Hes never done anything of note against pakistsn wirh the bat

De Kock has a strike rate of 135 in T20Is compared to Rizwans 126 and in all formats De Kock is better Rizwan isn’t even that good he’s been dropped from tests and has been inconsistent in ODIS.

Rizwan best period was when he played B teams and minnows which led to a player of the year award he hasn’t been anywhere close to that level in the recent World Cup and Asia Cup consistently below par in big matches for Pakistan.

De Kock has a strike rate of 135 in T20Is compared to Rizwans 126 and in all formats De Kock is better Rizwan isn’t even that good he’s been dropped from tests and has been inconsistent in ODIS.

Rizwan best period was when he played B teams and minnows which led to a player of the year award he hasn’t been anywhere close to that level in the recent World Cup and Asia Cup consistently below par in big matches for Pakistan.

And what are de kocks performances like for south africa? What world cups has he won for his team or when has his name been mentioned has the no1 player in any format b team or c team?

De kocks soft and for me always goes missing esp against pakistan I cant recall any stand out performances from him

Even now rizwan is the best all format keeper bat for pakistan He is no1 in t20s and odis and if it werent for a bad patch hed be no1 in tests too (he was avging 45 before he lost a little form and technique)

And what are de kocks performances like for south africa? What world cups has he won for his team or when has his name been mentioned has the no1 player in any format b team or c team?

De kocks soft and for me always goes missing esp against pakistan I cant recall any stand out performances from him

Even now rizwan is the best all format keeper bat for pakistan He is no1 in t20s and odis and if it werent for a bad patch hed be no1 in tests too (he was avging 45 before he lost a little form and technique)

That’s what I’m saying De Kock went missing but so did Rizwan in big matches most of the time aswell which can’t make him better case in point WC semi final 2021 Asia Cup Final 2022 WC final 2022 different series deciders and tri series final all these matches Rizwan either failed to score or made a slow 50 to cost his team a win.

That’s what I’m saying De Kock went missing but so did Rizwan in big matches most of the time aswell which can’t make him better case in point WC semi final 2021 Asia Cup Final 2022 WC final 2022 different series deciders and tri series final all these matches Rizwan either failed to score or made a slow 50 to cost his team a win.

Not performing in one or two finals doesnt mean someones gone missing

Rizwans won or helped contribute massively to big games for pakistan Namely india world cup game in uae and semi final of world cup againt Nz

Im yet to see anything like this from De Kock

He will go down as the best wicketkeeping batter in T20 format ever.

For Pakistan he is already the best t20 wicketkeeper batsman.

Not only that, Rizwan is the best opener that Pakistan have ever produced in the format.

Even if Rizwan fails to buy a run for the rest of his career he has secured his status. But we know that won't happen because he is just too good not to keep topping run charts.

Not performing in one or two finals doesnt mean someones gone missing

Rizwans won or helped contribute massively to big games for pakistan Namely india world cup game in uae and semi final of world cup againt Nz

Im yet to see anything like this from De Kock

There you said it yourself Rizwan has helped win 2 games out of 20 he’s played in tournaments meaning he’s failed to do so in 90% of matches.

Scoring runs and topping the charts isn’t enough when your scoring below the strike rate required in big matches Rizwan definitely isn’t anywhere near the top 10 batsmen in T20 simply a statpadder who likes to score as many runs as possible without looking at the scoreboard and team requirements.

There you said it yourself Rizwan has helped win 2 games out of 20 he’s played in tournaments meaning he’s failed to do so in 90% of matches.

Scoring runs and topping the charts isn’t enough when your scoring below the strike rate required in big matches Rizwan definitely isn’t anywhere near the top 10 batsmen in T20 simply a statpadder who likes to score as many runs as possible without looking at the scoreboard and team requirements.

Which 20 tournament games has he played and not performed and when did i say hes only performed in two?

Ive highlighted two examples of big matches wheres he has performed refuting your statement he hasnt performed in big tournmanent games

A statpadder wouldnt be no1 in t20s Hes performed well Hes not perfect by any. means but neither is he poor like your suggesting

Sure hes not a big striker of the ball but its his consistency of good starts at an acceptable strike rate at the top which has led to his teams performing well such as multan and pakistan overall

If Rizwan thinks he's an ATG, he should take a back seat from T20I as its a format for hacks and just be used as a backup option. The opening pair should be Saim and Haris going forward even after Afg unless they fail spectacularly.

Riz needs to concentrate on ODI and tests and get to performance levels the formats demand.

He will go down as the best wicketkeeping batter in T20 format ever.

Nobody in his/her right mind would take Rizwan over Buttler in white ball cricket. It is completely ridiculous and comical for anyone to argue otherwise.

Rizwan is pakistans greatest wicket keeper batesman and is only behind Buttler in t20s

Unsold in the hundred. Why is that?

Is it because he is unavailable fully? If so, why did Shaheen and Rauf get picked but he didn’t?

Unsold in the hundred. Why is that?

Is it because he is unavailable fully? If so, why did Shaheen and Rauf get picked but he didn’t?
Good for him. Our champ needs a breather before the all important WC this year.

How and why is he still in the playing XI?

Because he is the greatest opener in the history of Pakistan t20 cricket.

He is also the greatest gloveman in the world at present.

Rizwan has delivered so many tight slaps over the past 3 years. Stay tuned - another is coming your way shortly.

Rizwan has delivered so many tight slaps over the past 3 years. Stay tuned - another is coming your way shortly.

The only tight slap he has delivered is on Pakistan’s chances of ever challenging the world’s best by handicapping our chances with botched powerplay over powerplay

Stay tuned. This will keep happening as long as he’s in the team as an opener

I don't remember the last one, could you refresh my memory?

I do remember him playing every single power play like first morning of a test in leeds. He is blocking way for other potential match winners. He may be a good keeper, but he doesn't merit a place on keeping alone, and he isn't an opener any more, unless you subscribe to aamir sohail scool of t20 that judges players on padded averages.

I don't remember the last one, could you refresh my memory?

I do remember him playing every single power play like first morning of a test in leeds. He is blocking way for other potential match winners. He may be a good keeper, but he doesn't merit a place on keeping alone, and he isn't an opener any more, unless you subscribe to aamir sohail scool of t20 that judges players on padded averages.

Lol the last slap? Clearly it's caused you to suffer memory loss as you've already forgotten the PSL.

If that still isn't enough just be patient. Rizwan is coming with another one for you shortly.

Lol the last slap? Clearly it's caused you to suffer memory loss as you've already forgotten the PSL.

If that still isn't enough just be patient. Rizwan is coming with another one for you shortly.

Another what? 18 ball 22 in the powerplay?

Which match? When was the last time we PCT won a match due to his batting?

It feels like we are stuck with Rizwan as opener until another failed World Cup run where our bowling strength isn’t able to compensate for the safety first approach with the bat in the pressure games against quality opponents.

And then perhaps we’ll be willing to go with a modern attacking approach and players like Saim and Haris will have the opportunity to open the batting and set the tone.

So until then I guess we just wait…

It feels like we are stuck with Rizwan as opener until another failed World Cup run where our bowling strength isn’t able to compensate for the safety first approach with the bat in the pressure games against quality opponents.

And then perhaps we’ll be willing to go with a modern attacking approach and players like Saim and Haris will have the opportunity to open the batting and set the tone.

I fear the same. Issue is not onl his SR but the balls he hogs every innings, i guess we are ok with 160 in 20 overs with 8 wickets in hand instead of 160 all out in 12 overs.

The 'modern attacking approach' does not work for Pakistan. We do not yet have the personnel for it. As the Afghanistan series showed, we end up 35-3 at the end of every powerplay.

Meanwhile Rizwan and Babar have won countless games for Pakistan by putting a price on their wicket and ensuring there is always a score for the bowlers to defend.

This may be less neccessary in the future if Saim and Haris emerge as solid batsmen. But for now the runs that RizBab provide are absolutely priceless and it's been this way for years now.

This is a successful era of t20 cricket for Pakistan solely thanks to their performances with the bat.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Most runs in T20Is since January 2019:<br><br>Mohammad Rizwan 2691 (66 innings)<br>Babar Azam 2454 (72 innings)<br>Paul Stirling 2094 (72 innings)<br>Virat Kohli 1841 (47 innings)<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PakvNZ?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PakvNZ</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/fiUb3tUDSD">pic.twitter.com/fiUb3tUDSD</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1650557341572423692?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 24, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A wonderful knock that he ruined by one of the most selfish displays of batting in the 19th and the 20th over.

Great innings and I know he was approaching a century - but 17 off his last 13 balls wasn't great was it.

Great innings today and most probably saved this game for Pakistan.

Could have scored a century if he did not slow down in the last 2 overs

God of T20 cricket.

In T20 cricket,

You either die early as the hero

Or you live long enough to become the villain

Rizwan, the longer he stays at the crease will cost Pakistan more and more games

I won't be surprised if there is a cake cutting ceremony in the hotel right now to celebrate Rizwan's innings today.

Rizwan is not a match winner. An outdated, slow but also selfish to the core. Time to move on from selfish cricket. Rizwan was clearly trying for his hundred even in the last over.

You guys don't understand this game and have no idea how to discuss cricket. After getting 3 wickets in just 4 overs where the score was still below 25 runs, It was surely our bowling that lost us the game. Most of the posters here only think about batting as if bowling is not part of the game.

You guys don't understand this game and have no idea how to discuss cricket. After getting 3 wickets in just 4 overs where the score was still below 25 runs, It was surely our bowling that lost us the game. Most of the posters here only think about batting as if bowling is not part of the game.

The problem is the mindset. Rizwan scored 17 odd in his last 13 balls where he was closing on his hundred. Not only he himself was trying for his hundred but he also managed to get other batters involved in this by trying to get on strike for his last 2 runs. This was the time when Pakistan should have been looking for 200+ total.

It's the mindset that is runing our cricket. Losing in such a pathetic manner is disappointing. At least give your best. Not try for selfish milestones.

The problem is the mindset. Rizwan scored 17 odd in his last 13 balls where he was closing on his hundred. Not only he himself was trying for his hundred but he also managed to get other batters involved in this by trying to get on strike for his last 2 runs. This was the time when Pakistan should have been looking for 200+ total.

It's the mindset that is runing our cricket. Losing in such a pathetic manner is disappointing. At least give your best. Not try for selfish milestones.

Mickey won't tolerate some of the nonsense from RizBar and will definitely fix this. I am not trying to defend his batting in the last two overs, but then the fact remains that we only got to the score of 190 plus because of Rizwan and Rizwan only.

Mickey won't tolerate some of the nonsense from RizBar and will definitely fix this. I am not trying to defend his batting in the last two overs, but then the fact remains that we only got to the score of 190 plus because of Rizwan and Rizwan only.

This is the Misbah mentality that at least we lost with grace. Rizwan should not be allowed to get away with his selfish cricket. It's all about winning not about personal milestones or losing with grace. Losing in 20th over or 16th over is the same thing for me.

As Mark Chapman showed today, if you're gonna be scoring 80+ runs in a T20, your strike rate better be well above 180 at the minimum, anything less than that and you're wasting your time as a set batsman

This is the Misbah mentality that at least we lost with grace. Rizwan should not be allowed to get away with his selfish cricket. It's all about winning not about personal milestones or losing with grace. Losing in 20th over or 16th over is the same thing for me.

What Misbah mentality and who is talking about losing with grace? Can you please help me understand this?

This was an utterly useless innings by Rizwan. Instead of trying to get him to his 100, they should have been trying to accelerate. In any other team, he would have been dropped for his this kind of selfish knock.

If Rizwan lost his wicket after Babar, Haris and Saim, then the collapse was 100% on, but not only he batted responsibly, he also scored runs at a very rapid pace. Saim and Haris let the team down big time and stopped us from scoring 240 on this pitch.

If Rizwan lost his wicket after Babar, Haris and Saim, then the collapse was 100% on, but not only he batted responsibly, he also scored runs at a very rapid pace. Saim and Haris let the team down big time and stopped us from scoring 240 on this pitch.

Ok

Fair enough

But he got it all wrong by the end of it. And it cost pakistan big time. This isn’t the first time he has done this so it’s not like he committed a mistake for the first time. Rizwan just isn’t that guy pal

Sad that he had to resort to that at the end. Got off to a flier and was playing really well. If he wanted his ton, he'd have been far better just going all out rather than trying to squeeze it home at the end.

Riz is acutely aware that all eyes are on him so its hard to understand why he still does what he does. Problem is a guy like Babar tolerates it cos he's a softie, plays in a similar vein and in part cos they are mates. A captain like Morgan doesn't tolerate it one iota as shown with Dawid Malan.

Ok

Fair enough

But he got it all wrong by the end of it. And it cost pakistan big time. This isn’t the first time he has done this so it’s not like he committed a mistake for the first time. Rizwan just isn’t that guy pal

No it did not and that's what I am trying to explain the posters here in this and other threads. We did not lose the game because of Rizwan. We had a competitive total only because Rizwan batted beautifully. We lost the game because our bowlers completely forgot how to ball after first 4 overs. Our team also failed to notice that this NZ team was getting better with every game, yet we took them lightly, a mistake you never make against weaker teams. Btw Rizwan also saved 4 boundaries with his great keeping. As for his batting in death overs, yes he was selfish and we cricketers always believe that the game of cricket will always teach you a lesson if you are going for personal milestones etc etc.

Back