New Zealand v Windies | 5th ODI | Napier | 13/1/09

Oxy

Hall of Famer
Runs
Cant believe a thread wasnt created for this mouth watering clash between the mighty Kiwis and Windies... :sarfraz

Couldnt tell you who won the toss....

But Windies are:

70-1 off 15 Overs Gayle 47*

Drinks break

Last edited:
The Tri series took over this competition. Yesterday I thought SL-Zim match was today but lucky NZ-WI. I don't know why but this is some series that is not generating any interest

Sarwan GONE! Attempted hook - got it all wrong and some guy called Gillepsie bowling of a 50yd run up, when 5 yds would do gets his man

73-2 off 16.3

My bet is this commentary thread wil struggle to get off page 1.

And its good night from me....

82/2 off 20 overs, Gayle and Chanders in.

Hopefully this is the last match of a totally uninspiring tour.

Oxy said:
Sarwan GONE! Attempted hook - got it all wrong and some guy called Gillepsie bowling of a 50yd run up, when 5 yds would do gets his man

73-2 off 16.3
Maybe he thinks he's Jason gillespie.

Anyway, Jessie Ryder bowling, I say bowling, it's more a case of jogging slowly to the wkt and rolling the arm over, in the New Zealand tradition of dibbly dobblies, ala Styris, Harris, Larson etc. Man the Kiwi's lost a good un in Shane Bond.

Is it me or has Ryder lost some weight.

I can't help but feel for Windies...

It seems their entire team is dependent on only Gayle and Chanderpaul's performances. I wouldn't want to see WI play after their retirement...

Chanderpaul 31(359) - Gayle 86(102)
Wii 142-2 after 35 overs @ 4.05
Vettori 8 overs for 18 runs
oops typo there. Chanders 31 of 59. Wii in okay position to get 263

What is going on. Gayle with 2 fours as Vettori takes himself off. moves to 96(107)

Last edited:
Gayle get's his 19th ODI hundred, and what a year for him.

100(110) including 7 fours and 3 sixes.

In last two overs Chanders takes his SR from about 57 to 72. 50 off 69 now
Gayle 116 off 116
Wii 193-2 after 39 overs @ 4.94
look good for 275+ now

Last edited:
57 runs off the 5 power play overs, 31 off the last 2, Chanderpaul has his 50, Gayle is on 116

Chander's with a reverse sweep for 4, following on from yet another boundary.

This cricinfo score is lacking info that you might see in some other matches. like runs scored in last 5 overs, batsmen against bowlers, partnership contribution, bowlers in current spell

Ryder is also a bowler. 5 overs for 29 runs. Some may call him round but he is an all-rounder. Chanders 65 off 75 and Gayle 123 off 122
Wii 216-2 after 41 overs

Last edited:
12thMan said:
This cricinfo score is lacking info that you might see in some other matches. like runs scored in last 5 overs, batsmen against bowlers, partnership contribution, bowlers in current spell

Ryder is also a bowler. 5 overs for 29 runs. Some may call him round but he is an all-rounder. Chanders 65 off 75 and Gayle 123 off 122
Wii 216-2 after 41 overs

:)))

These two are batting brilliantly, and WI should get an easily defendable score if these two continue any longer.

Chandu with a six off Vettori.
152 run partnership off 25 overs @ 6.16

windies really picking up ... if these guys stay in they are looking good for 300. If they fall, they might not make 250.

Gayle with his 5th chakka 133(126) - Chanders with a four 80 (80)
Wii 240-2 after 42.3 overs

Mills to Chanderpaul, FOUR, unbelievable, the reverse sweep comes out for the seamers now to the same effect. SIX

don't understand this

Gayle out ct Taylor b Mills. Gayle 135 off 128
Wii
243-3 after 43 overs @ 5.65

Last edited:
Gayle gone for a brilliant 135 and Kyle Mills gets the wicket.

Gayle gone for yet another ton ... 135 off 128 balls. Lets see what the rest do now!

Findlay runout for 3...

I predict Chanderpaul to be the last man standing when WI get bowled out.

usual stuff from the windies ... another wicket falls ... who ever scored other than Chanderpaul and Gayle

and gone a six later for 19. Chanders eyeing off his 10th ton as long as he finds some partners.

What a waste from Chanderpaul ... out to Ryder for 94 ... WI 6/279 (47.0 Overs)

few balls ago Chanders ct by Guppi off the all rounder
Wii did very well. And now Powell out off Mills
291-7 off 49 overs @ 5.95

Last ball, another wkt for Gillespie, Windies finish on293-9, a good effort but tailed off near the end after Gayle and Chander's were out.

Another poor finish by the windies 293/9 after Gayle and Chanderpaul had set them up ... had wickets in hand, but I guess there are only two wickets which are valued in the windies team.

78% of the runs in this total have come from Chanderpaul and Gayle. Its a regular stat I guess!!!

NZ were pwning in the early overs. 60 up in the 5th over.

Guppy is batting well again... let's see how much he makes today...

NZ still doing fairly well. 2/135 in the 19th over. Guptil scoring nicely again - looks like one for the future for NZ.

And as I spoke ... Guptil out for the first time in his career. Nice batting average to start with of 165!

genghis81 said:
And as I spoke ... Guptil out for the first time in his career. Nice batting average to start with of 165!

lol .. I am disappointed with him.. I wanted him to be the first man to average 1000.

Seriously, though great player for the future. He has the right approach to the game and his technique is quite pleasant and tight.

Yeah they got some good youngsters the kiwis in Ryder, Guptil, Flyn, Southee and Taylor.

This one is getting exciting ... NZ 5/182 needing 112 from 20 overs ... but aparently there is rain on the way and DL might come into play!

Is rain always on the way in NZ? Its very annoying.

Powell has come back strongly ... his first 4 overs went for 43, but his last 5 have gone for only 18 runs and he's picked up a couple of wickets too.

Poison said:
Is rain always on the way in NZ? Its very annoying.
Yeah I think 2 games in this series have been incomplete and I think 1 was shortened.
Anyways powerplay taken by NZ ... need to get a move on!

New zealand win yet another ODI series at home, they havent lost now a bilateral home series for atleast 4/5 years. I guess Chris Gayle must be sick of scoring hundreds and been on the losing side, this must be 3rd time in a row atleast.

Its been a poor tour for west indies fringe players as non of them have stepped up to the plate. On flip side the kiwis have quite a few promising players coming through and could be a more competative unit in a year or so!

Back