New Zealand vs England | 2nd Test | Wellington | Mar 14-18, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been watching for last 30 overs. Not a single yorker bowled. Why not try it especially against Compton whose stance just about exposes leg stump..strong lbw candidate if he misses

it will be a hard task to get 20 wickets on this pitch. Run rate under 3

Been watching for last 30 overs. Not a single yorker bowled. Why not try it especially against Compton whose stance just about exposes leg stump..strong lbw candidate if he misses
Same could be said for the last few years of test cricket.

Kiwi, how do you rate the NZ fast bowling? I think they could vary it a bit..haven't seen a slower ball from them either

NZ pacers are good if there is some help from the pitch.. lets see how England bowl

Kiwi, how do you rate the NZ fast bowling? I think they could vary it a bit..haven't seen a slower ball from them either
Wagners too inconsistent with his line and length for my liking. Boult and Southee are really promising most say Southee is the leader of the pack but I can see Boult taking over in a few years, he seems the more talented of the two and seems to be a really good thinking bowler. I think they need a third pacer who can intimidate the opposition like a Lee or Morkel.

Last edited:
Wagners too inconsistent with his line and length for my liking. Boult and Southee are really promising most say Southee is the leader of the pack but I can see Boult taking over in a few years he seems the more talented of the two for me.

I like Southee, and have since first seeing him, but he seems like Broad to me. Lots of talent, just can't pull it out enough. And he's not that fast either. Averaging 36 after being in Test Cricket a few years. He's still very young, and has plenty of time to improve, but you can't have him as your spearhead, he needs another older head to guide.

This series might not be so bad for NZ if they manage to draw two and lose one.. and if they draw all three then it's as good as a series win, they will get lot of points. England will lose a lot of points as well.

Compton gets his 2nd ton!

I know its New Zealand but England atm seem to be ticking all the spots right before Ashes while more and more spots are opening for Australia. England couldn't ask for a better build up.

Oh well done Compo!

I said in the last thread that I felt if he got one under his belt, he could become a machine.

I'm liking the order of the English team. Three grinding machines at the top, and then flair in the form of KP/Bell/Root/Prior, some slogging from Swann/Broad, some annoyance from Finn/Anderson. IF all goes to plan, it's a very solid line up, barring collective implosions like Dunedin.

Nzl choosing to bowl after winning the toss will be mighty unhappy. 259/2 in 88 overs .

Haha Colombo SSC Part IV. II was Galle. III Dunedin.

:facepalm: Wanted a green top but pitches are too flat even in domestic.

Another draw on the cards unless Monty turns up

^ Is it you James who post alot of comments at cricinfo? Almost in every match there are comments from a certain James.

Well done England.

This match is heading for a draw unless the pitch spices up on day 3 & 4.

^ Is it you James who post alot of comments at cricinfo? Almost in every match there are comments from a certain James.

Have never posted on cricinfo, there are many people called James

When we toured NZ in 2009, flat pitches then were attributed to BCCI influence. Wonder if the ECB has had an underhand deal for similar pitches this time.

Well done Compton on getting back to back hundreds, that will help his confidence and allow him to start to build a test career going forward.

Wellington in general is a pretty placid track so batsmen should try and cash in on such a surface.

When we toured NZ in 2009, flat pitches then were attributed to BCCI influence. Wonder if the ECB has had an underhand deal for similar pitches this time.

Why would we want flat tracks?

England lose points by drawing against NZ. Even winning 2-0 would result in a loss of a point.

England do best on seaming/bouncing tracks, where our batsmen struggle, but our bowlers do well. On flat tracks our batsmen will collapse out of stupidity anyways.

England will lose 2 points if this match is a draw and they win the next one....

I know it won't happen, but I'd like to see England get to 450 and Cook declare after tea. Otherwise I can't see us winning this match because 2 days are likely to be shortened by weather. Even if he does this it'll still be an uphill task on this wicket.

More like New Zealand have deliberately designed these pitches after what happened to them in South Africa.

England will lose 2 points if this match is a draw and they win the next one....
We are not getting back to number one until we beat SA in a test series. So we should not be reading too much into that.

We are not getting back to number one until we beat SA in a test series. So we should not be reading too much into that.
India got to No. 1 in 2009 by beating Aus
England got to no.1 in 2011 by beating SA
SA got to no. 1 in 2012 by beating Eng.

Oddly enough, drawing this series would have mattered if Australia had done well in India.

It's a shame SA and England don't face each other often, clearly the no.1 and no.2 test sides.. I don't really see England beating us, England's strengths are nullified when they face us. A drawn series is very much possible but I will still put money on us beating England.

atleast 60 to 70 overs will get washed out on day 4 & 5 . check the forecast .

It's a shame SA and England don't face each other often, clearly the no.1 and no.2 test sides.. I don't really see England beating us, England's strengths are nullified when they face us. A drawn series is very much possible but I will still put money on us beating England.

South Africa are consistently very good. England like to waver between good and mediocre. Sometimes its our bowling that is letting us down, other times its our batsmen collapsing on flat decks. England at their best would be evenly matched.

atleast 60 to 70 overs will get washed out on day 4 & 5 . check the forecast .

One of the stupid things about rain on the last days instead of the first day. Can't be made up.

And all the Kiwis bemoaning that Wellington has been going through a drought... Rough timing!

South Africa are consistently very good. England like to waver between good and mediocre. Sometimes its our bowling that is letting us down, other times its our batsmen collapsing on flat decks. England at their best would be evenly matched.

SA vs England both teams at their best would be one hell of a contest. Cricket administrators are a bunch of idiots

Well England were certainly saddled with an opener (Strauss) who really was past his prime and was putting too much pressure on the likes of Cook and Trott. England would not fare worse with Nicky and Root in the line up now.

The bowlers have under performed only once in the past 3-4 years.

The bowlers have under performed only once in the past 3-4 years.

I love the bowlers, and I think they have done exceptionally well. But they underperformed first innings at Brisbane (though Anderson was bowling magnificently for no luck), at Dunedin earlier, Ahmedabad, vs SA at THE OVAL (ugh, thank god I didn't go as I was initially planning on taking the trip down to London for it), Edgbaston (vs the Windies, admittedly no Anderson that match, which derails our entire bowling lineup)

Though as a general rule, our bowlers are more consistent than our batsmen.

I love the bowlers, and I think they have done exceptionally well. But they underperformed first innings at Brisbane (though Anderson was bowling magnificently for no luck), at Dunedin earlier, Ahmedabad, vs SA at THE OVAL (ugh, thank god I didn't go as I was initially planning on taking the trip down to London for it), Edgbaston (vs the Windies, admittedly no Anderson that match, which derails our entire bowling lineup)

Tamim iqbal scoring back to back hundreds :shakib Dilshan 180 at Lords.. didnt Sri lanka score 400 and 500 in England? Apart from Anderson and Swann on most occassions, the other bowlers are on and off. Bangladesh also scored 400 against them :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back