Obama’s description of Indian leaders in memoir causes flutter

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Former US President Barack Obama’s descriptions of India’s leaders in his new memoir, A Promised Land, has caused ripples in political circles, with former Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh receiving praise.

The book, released on Tuesday, covers his campaign for the White House and his first term in office, during which he visited India when the now-opposition Congress party was in power.

It contains his impressions of then-Prime Minister Singh, party President Sonia Gandhi and her son, Rahul Gandhi.

Obama describes Singh “as a chief architect of India’s economic transformation” and “a self-effacing technocrat who’d won people’s trust not by appealing to their passions but by bringing about higher living standards and maintaining a well-earned reputation for not being corrupt.”

Obama’s praise for Singh was welcomed by senior Congress leaders like Shashi Tharoor.

But it is Obama’s frank and less-than-flattering description of Rahul Gandhi, the 50-year-old heir of the Nehru-Gandhi dynasty, that drew criticism from Congress party leaders.

“Rahul Gandhi has a nervous, unformed quality about him as if he were a student who’d done the coursework and was eager to impress the teacher but deep down lacked either the aptitude or the passion to master the subject,” quoted The New York Times from the book.

Rahul Gandhi was defeated twice by Prime Minister Modi in the 2014 and 2019 elections respectively. His grandmother, Indira Gandhi, and father, Rajiv Gandhi, both of whom were assassinated, held the post of prime minister.

‘Divisive nationalism touted by the BJP’

Congress leader Tharoor tweeted that Obama did not name Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the book that has caused a flutter in India.

“I have got hold of an advance copy of @BarackObama’s #APromisedLand & though I haven’t read every page, I did read every bit on India flagged in the Index. Big news: There isn’t much. Bigger news: in 902 pages, [MENTION=140582]Naren[/MENTION]dramodi is not mentioned by name at all” (sic), Tharoor, a member of Parliament from the southern Indian state of Kerala, tweeted.

But the India portion does mention Modi’s Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), with Obama writing of his concern about the “divisive nationalism touted by the BJP”.

Obama described Sonia Gandhi, Rahul’s mother, as a “shrewd” person with “forceful intelligence”. Rahul Gandhi, the former US president further wrote, “seemed smart and earnest”.

Obama described Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, right, as having a ‘nervous, unformed quality’ about him [File: Altaf Hussain/Reuters]
He also wrote on the future of the Congress party. “Would the baton be successfully passed to Rahul, fulfilling the destiny laid out by his mother and preserving the Congress Party’s dominance over the divisive nationalism touted by the BJP?” according to the excerpts published by thewire.in.

Rahul has been a vocal critic of Modi, attacking his government on charges of fanning religious nationalism and favouring business interests.

The last six years of Modi has seen a rise in attacks against minorities, especially Muslims, with dozens of Muslims lynched by Hindu far-right mobs. Critics say a citizenship law passed last December, which sparked nationwide protests, runs counter to the country’s secular constitution.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020...ion-of-india-leaders-in-memoir-causes-flutter

Congress leader Tharoor tweeted that Obama did not name Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the book that has caused a flutter in India.

“I have got hold of an advance copy of @BarackObama’s #APromisedLand & though I haven’t read every page, I did read every bit on India flagged in the Index. Big news: There isn’t much. Bigger news: in 902 pages, [MENTION=140582]Naren[/MENTION]dramodi is not mentioned by name at all” (sic), Tharoor, a member of Parliament from the southern Indian state of Kerala, tweeted.

:facepalm

Modi claimed he and Obama are friends so it would be weird if Obama didn't mention him in his book. In fact Modi even proudly proclaimed that Obama is so close to him that he refers to him as "Tu". Although I am not sure if Obama speaks Hindi or they invented a English version of "Tu.

Last edited:
It doesn’t mention Modi because the book only covers up until 2011 - the second volume will cover the rest of Obama’s Presidency.

Modi claimed he and Obama are friends so it would be weird if Obama didn't mention him in his book. In fact Modi even proudly proclaimed that Obama is so close to him that he refers to him as "Tu". Although I am not sure if Obama speaks Hindi or they invented a English version of "Tu.

Why would Obama be friends with Modi? The only quote in that book doesn't seem very flattering about the BJP as a political party.

That seems to be a very personal thing which I or most people have never heard of , I wonder how you came to know about this.

He mentioned it in an interview with some Bollywood actor. It became a worldwide meme because of the ridiculousness of the claim. Surprised you haven’t heard of it.

https://www.nationalheraldindia.com...kyun-karta-hai-friendship-with-obama-and-more

Ok great a very hard hitting interview with a intellectual Bollywood actor followed by some memes on the internet, I feel dumb for missing out on a historical and significant trivia that usually comes out of it.

Why would Obama be friends with Modi? The only quote in that book doesn't seem very flattering about the BJP as a political party.
You are probably right but I am just going by what mod claimed in that Bollywood interview. Maybe it’s a one sided friendship? Hopefully modi can win over Obama one day.

Ok great a very hard hitting interview with a intellectual Bollywood actor followed by some memes on the internet, I feel dumb for missing out on a historical and significant trivia that usually comes out of it.

It was pretty historical. I mean they invented an English version of “Tu”. That’s pretty monumental. Hopefully Obama or modi eventually let us know what that word is.

It was pretty historical. I mean they invented an English version of “Tu”. That’s pretty monumental. Hopefully Obama or modi eventually let us know what that word is.

Seems that it was profound enough for you to remember something so trivial. That’s fine. Some things get stuck with us I guess.

Anyway if he said that, sure he can be made fun of as it is silly.

But you skipped the part that this memoir was covering Obama’s tenure till 2011, this isn’t Obama’s thesis on India or Indian administration so not sure why him omitting Modi is a big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant imagine any world leader being inspired by a clown like Modi. Obama was a great actor but had a brain, not sure how the two could ever connect. Only leader to give Modi huge respect was Trump but he did it for his own reasons.

You are probably right but I am just going by what mod claimed in that Bollywood interview. Maybe it’s a one sided friendship? Hopefully modi can win over Obama one day.

This is the write up by Obama on Modi in the Time magazine.

https://time.com/3823155/narendra-modi-2015-time-100/

He refers to Modi by his first name.

You see, Indian PM is not in need of any one sided friendship. Its more for some of our neighbours who try very hard to make it look like they have very good relationship with Russia, only for Russia to come out and deny.

Some months back that country's media published reports that their PM was invited to a economic summit in Russia which showed how close they are to Russia. In reality, their PM was not invited, while Modi was the Chief Guest. That describes your one sided friendship aptly.

I cant imagine any world leader being inspired by a clown like Modi. Obama was a great actor but had a brain, not sure how the two could ever connect. Only leader to give Modi huge respect was Trump but he did it for his own reasons.

Your imagination doesn't run the world. Neither do world leaders act according to your will.

The British PM was in attendance in Wembley when Modi addressed 70k Indians.

And i can name plenty of world leaders who laid out the red carpet for Modi.

Obama will no doubt mention how he was involved in lifting the only ever ban on a leader in the West, imposed by the government of USA - Modi.

Obama will also go into detail on the risks and backlash of lifting the ban on a recognised religious terrorist - Modi.

This is why India is bricking it, the truth about Modi is about to go mainstream in the West.

:)

[MENTION=76058]cricketjoshila[/MENTION] Do you know when Modi is going to announce what the English version of “Tu” is? That could change the foundation of the English language. Maybe modi and Obama can do a joint press conference to introduce the new word to the world.

[MENTION=76058]cricketjoshila[/MENTION] Do you know when Modi is going to announce what the English version of “Tu” is? That could change the foundation of the English language. Maybe modi and Obama can do a joint press conference to introduce the new word to the world.

You address someone with TU when you are informal with him. Thats what Modi meant.

Obama referring to Modi as Narendra just proves that they were on informal terms.

Your imagination doesn't run the world. Neither do world leaders act according to your will.

The British PM was in attendance in Wembley when Modi addressed 70k Indians.

And i can name plenty of world leaders who laid out the red carpet for Modi.

I think you confusing respect for the office of the PM of Ind with respect for fascist Modi. If you PM of Ind you too would get some respect.

Pretty much sums up the leadership vacuum in India and US. There is just no alternative to Modi in Indian national politics. And here in US, it was a fight between an 80 year old with possible dementia and another old dude.
One look at Boris Johnson and same is the case in Britain.

"Aa thu" and this is how Obama refers to him. :inti

Civil suit filed in UP against Obama book for ‘insulting’ Rahul Gandhi

Gyan Prakash Shukla, national president of All India Rural Bar Association, has filed the civil suit in Lalganj Civil Court. The case has been scheduled for hearing on December 1.
If an FIR is not lodged, the lawyer has said will go on a fast outside the US embassy.
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/sto...ting-manmohan-rahul-gandhi-1742200-2020-11-19

Pappu Army and siculars :))):)))

Some of these acts go beyond the usual formal diplomatic niceties.

You know thats rubbish- its all an act. You saw what Trudeau, Johnson, Macron were saying about Trump off camera. Johnson was supposed to be his ally. Its all an act. Modi is seen as an Idiot but Ind is seen as important due its population.

You know thats rubbish- its all an act. You saw what Trudeau, Johnson, Macron were saying about Trump off camera. Johnson was supposed to be his ally. Its all an act. Modi is seen as an Idiot but Ind is seen as important due its population.

This is it...
The west see dollar signs when it comes to selling toilets to India...

We're in the wrong business

This is it...
The west see dollar signs when it comes to selling toilets to India...

We're in the wrong business

Well obviously that's what the west sees, our ideology is capitalism, and for us, India is almost the perfect market to pitch at. Not enough industrial clout to threaten our manufacturing, but an English speaking public who are ripe to buy into western fashion and entertainment.

A senior lawyer from the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh has filed a petition before a court seeking a formal complaint against Barack Obama for “insulting” the country’s politicians in his book A Promised Land.

The lawyer, Gyan Prakash Shukla, filed the civil suit on Thursday, demanding police open up an initial charge sheet – known as a First Information Report (FIR) – against Mr Obama for allegedly insulting and humiliating Congress party politicians Rahul Gandhi and Manmohan Singh.

The case has been granted a hearing and scheduled for 1 December in Lalganj Civil Court.

The memoir by the former president has made headlines in India and caused ripples in the political sphere for its less-than-flattering description of Mr Gandhi, scion of the Nehru-Gandhi political dynasty.

Mr Obama gave vivid accounts of his meetings with Indian political leaders during his first term in office, when the now-opposition Congress party was in power in Delhi.

The Uttar Pradesh lawyer objected to passages in the memoir that stated Sonia Gandhi chose Manmohan Singh to be India’s 13th prime minister as he posed no threat to her son Rahul Gandhi, who is described as “nervous” and eager to impress in the book.

“Rahul Gandhi has a nervous, unformed quality about him as if he were a student who’d done the coursework and was eager to impress the teacher but deep down lacked either the aptitude or the passion to master the subject,” Mr Obama writes. He did say that he “seemed smart and earnest”, however.

On Mr Singh, Mr Obama says he came across as “wise, thoughtful and scrupulously honest”, and as a “self-effacing technocrat who'd won the people's trust not by appealing to their passions but bringing about higher living standards and maintaining a well-earned reputation for not being corrupt”.

Ms Gandhi, the former president writes, was a “striking woman” who spent more time listening than speaking. He suggests her power derives from “a shrewd and forceful intelligence”.

While the comments were largely described as praise in most media coverage – indeed, Mr Obama warmly praises Mr Singh’s resistance to rising nationalist sentiments in India – the passages about Rahul Gandhi have drawn sharp criticism from Congress politicians, and given politicians from the ruling BJP an opportunity to mock the party.

The lawyer stated in his petition, which calls for India to issue a formal complaint to Mr Obama, that the millions of followers of these politicians will be hurt by his remarks, and the situation could turn chaotic if these people hit the streets in protest against the book.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/obama-promised-land-leaders-india-b1758879.html

Back