Offical discussion thread - Pak v W.I (semi final) [31/01/05]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amjid Javed

PakPassion's 100,000 posts man
Runs
Post of the Week
Its a do or die game. winner takes all. place all pre-during-after match discussion on here.

|-J

pakistan record @ perth v west indies

played 6 - won 2 lost 4

any team news noddy bhai?

Umar, I have made it a sticky thread, so that fewer simialr types of threads are started before the match.

I back Pakistan to win as Lara cant perform everyday. Although Windies arent a one man team and have many good players Pak I think have better all round team but are pathetic in the field. Windies are like kids in the field too and not so professional.

Pakistan should have the edge as they have more experiece of playing on the bouncy Wacca wicket, having played a Test and ODI already.
Confidence with victory over Australia will be a big boost for morale, and with key players in form with both bat and ball: Razzaq, Afridi, Inzy and now Yohanna. Pakistan should win if they can dismiss Lara early.

If Lara repeats that kind of performance again, we could struggle...

Only change should be Kamran in place of YK.

yep, should be just the one change. Bring in Kamran Akmal for Younis Khan. Given that we have played in Perth the other day and spent much time here at the beginning of the tour and given that we have just beaten Australia, we should win this game but that is only on paper.

Cricket is not played on paper it is played on grass and in pakistan's case any talk of what should happen on paper is meaningless.

Inshallah we will win just keep fingers crossed! Then we can have a party on Thursday night.

waheed said:
Pakistan should have the edge as they have more experiece of playing on the bouncy Wacca wicket, having played a Test and ODI already.
Confidence with victory over Australia will be a big boost for morale, and with key players in form with both bat and ball: Razzaq, Afridi, Inzy and now Yohanna. Pakistan should win if they can dismiss Lara early.

If Lara repeats that kind of performance again, we could struggle...

Only change should be Kamran in place of YK.

Great post. That just about sums it up. Though I think team selection could prove crucial today

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/4222157.stm

Lara injury worry for West Indies

West Indies are hoping skipper Brian Lara will be fit to play against Pakistan in Tuesday's VB Series game with a place in the finals at stake.

Lara is expected to play in Perth despite a wrist injury, with the winners taking on hosts Australia.

Pedro Collins (thigh strain) and Ramnesh Sarwan (bruised elbow) are also injury concerns for the Windies.

Pakistan are without leading bastman Younis Khan, who has flown home following the death of his father.

Their skipper Inzamam-ul-Haq believes the three-wicket victory over Australia in Perth on Sunday will give his side the upper hand.

He said: "Definitely we have the advantage because we have played one Test match and played in Perth for 15 or 16 days before that.

"This track is totally different and West Indies are playing for the first time here.

"This win has definitely helped us for the coming games. Hopefully we will play the final and we will win," he added.

Inzamam is wary of the in-form Lara after he belted 156 off 138 balls in a victory over Pakistan in Adelaide last Friday.

We've got some batsmen that have played here and we know exactly what the track is doing

Brian Lara

But he said his team had bowled better against Australia and warned Lara would need to be on top of his game with medium-pace bowler Naved-ul-Hasan and all-rounder Abdul Razzaq showing better form.

"I think he realises the bowling was not good in the last game. I think especially Naved and Razzaq have worked hard in the nets and they are good here."

Lara conceded Pakistan may have the advantage but pointed out there were plenty of players within the West Indies squad, including himself, who had played at the Waca ground before.

"We've got some batsmen that have played here and we know exactly what the track is doing," said Lara.

"It is more a mental game than the physical side and who has had more experience at the Waca.

"What I am worried about with Pakistan is that they are going to be playing three games in five days," he said.

"Hopefully that can play on their mind and we will have a tired bunch."

0230am uk time.

i just hope pakistan field and catch better then they did v australia!

Hope Pak can show some more of the same character they showed against Aus !! And NO MORE DROPPED CATCHES!! Plz!

I am off to sleep now - hopefully when I wakeup ( in about 7-8 hours ) , Pak will be playing with passion!

Good Night!

On the link I gave for the article about Lara's wrist injury, it says that the game starts at 0315

cricinfo which is pretty reliable says 2.30am

I would play the following team;
Butt
Taufeeq Umar
Hameed
Inzamam
Youhana
Malik
Razzaq
Afridi
Akmal
Iftikhar
Rana
Mohd. Khalil

I think one of the key men for Pakistan in this match will be mohd. khalil. the windies rely on their left hand bats to provide thema solid foundation in the middle of the innings and we all saw how well mohd. khalil bowled with the old ball to the lefties. if he can get that hint of outswing with the good line/length he bowls the windies are in for a torrid time!

Has Younis Khan already gone to Pakistan or is he still available for selection?

Salam guys, is the match starting at 3:30 am (GMT) ?

2.30am uk time

We have to remember to bowl the same length we did last game - More Yorkers - Less short stuff !!!

My team:

Salman
Taufeeq/Yasir
YoYo
Inzy
Shoaib M
Razzaq
Akmal
Afridi
Rana
Khalil
Rao

well i think everyone has more or less the same team..with the difference in opinion occuring at the opening positions..

whether we go with taufeeq/butt, hameed/butt or taufeeq/hameed...it doesn't really matter...either ONE will make a century or BOTH will fail leaving us at 30/2...it doesn't matter really..

i dont think so TQ Windies have an excellent record chasing.

I was hoping we would field first

west indies are top chasers so we need to put up a big score for our first bowlers to defend. (my first post on this site)

yea..but u never know..with the injuries plaguing the windies...

maybe we can come out on top...

maybe 320+????

we are definitely capable of it as it was not our batting that has been affected by injuries..

and we can also argue that since the windies have not put up a score yet..our batsmen won't have that much pressure...

team announced:

Pakistan team:
Salman Butt, Yasir Hameed, +Kamran Akmal, Yousuf Youhana,
*Inzamam-ul-Haq, Shoaib Malik, Abdul Razzaq, Shahid Afridi,
Naved-ul-Hasan, Iftikhar Anjum, Mohammad Khalil.

Very Important toss to win for WI, they have a big advantage now batting second.

well the windies have a good record chasing!!!
especially lately...
they like to bat...
i dont think pakistan will have a chance if the score under 285...

I think I posted this in the wrong thread...

Brian Lara...the chciken captain batting at 4!!! why doesnt he lead from the front and set the tone for the innings???

perhaps the resident armchair critics Amjid Javed and Amit Mishra could enlighten us because I am baffled by this decision!

yasir is coming in at three...

has he ever played in any position apart from opening?

I always like it when we bat first because there is no upper limit to the runs can potentially make

well anything better will be more than welcome

btw..where do many of u guyz live..i believe it most be late at night for most?

pak RR 4

we shud work on improving that now
keeping wickets is imp but runs r also vital

i agree with DM

i hope we can smash the windies out of the park..

although no need to smash rite now and risk losing wickets

a quick suggestion for brother tahaiqureshi

bro, canu make ur signatue pic smaller
it makes borwsing the thread much easier that way.

ill appreciate it man, and im sure many others will as well

True Tahai, and with Lara playing we also need to score big here.

I hope we outdo their score last time.

well i guess i have been proved wrong by butt and akmal...

they are not 30/2 :eek:D

taha, keep scoring to other thread plz bhai

DM -> my name is TAHA...let everyone know now..

i think i should change my nick name :eek:D

going way to slow- these guys need to pick up the pace.

i agree...
field restrictions will lift soon and then we will be disadvantaged

:eek:D sorry Taha!

And agreed, we need to hit more boundaries, make use of the fielding restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back