"Our bond is not new; it's a very old bond": Babar Azam on his relationship with Shaheen and the squad

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Babar Azam speaking in a presser ahead of the series against New Zealand

Q: We saw everything is going well in camp, but some fans are worried. Please tell us about it so that their worries can be alleviated. How is the bonding between you and Shaheen going?

Babar Azam: Firstly, whenever such things come to my attention, they always seem to come from your [Media] side. Maybe you guys know more than us, but Alhamdulillah, there's nothing like that. I'm here to clarify it for you and the fans.

Our bond is not new; it's a very old bond. Whatever the situation, we try to stay together and support each other. The whole team has one aim, and that is to serve Pakistan.

Today I'm sitting here, tomorrow someone else will be here, but the aim remains the same which is to glorify the name of Pakistan and to win matches for Pakistan. Our focus is on these things rather than on individuals or what is happening around us or what might happen in the future.

Alhamdulillah, such negative thoughts are far from this team, and everything is quite positive.

And I always keep on repeating the same dialogue that it seems that 'people know more about these things, sir!'

Q: About the pressure of captaincy on him:

Babar Azam: When you're batting, you have a different mindset; you don't think about captaincy or anything else. When fielding, you have a different mindset while fielding. So, I try to enjoy whatever role or opportunity I get, or any goal I'm given, first and foremost.

Ups and downs do come in this game, but I try to make the right decision and showcase the ability I have.... and I do try and be happy but sometimes it seems that people don't want me to be happy.

Q: About batting positions and team combination:

Babar Azam: As has been said before, let me say that there is flexibility for everyone in this team.

For our young players, we are trying to give them preference and provide them with opportunities and in doing this we are also checking our bench strength.

In this series, you will see different combinations in almost every match. We will try to go out with different combinations and see where we stand and which combination will suit us.

This approach will be visible in bowling too and also in batting.

Hopefully, things will be clear in the Ireland or England series, but we are trying to utilize this approach.

Last edited by a moderator:
This bond should also be reflected in the team's performance because in the past Imran khan and Javed Miandad were also friends but there was some sort of rivalry behind the scenes.

What’s with these guys being so cringey all the time.

Can you imagine Wasim/Waqar describing each other this way in their hey day.

Bring Akhtar in as a mentor or something so can teach everyone a lesson with his cricket bat.

What’s with these guys being so cringey the time.

Bring Akhtar in as a mentor or something so can teach everyone a lesson with his cricket bat.
Timid and weak is what they are. Babar and Shadab begging for a shirt after a big loss show how pathetic they are.

Our boys show a stronger bond with Indian players compared to their own teammates.

Within the team they are mostly running after the captaincy.

What’s with these guys being so cringey all the time.

You should watch videos of Babar’s great bonding drills in training. They make guys bend over and Babar shoots the ball at their backside. Proper team bonding

What is wrong with that if they have a good bond? If what he is saying is absolutely true then it is good for team NO?

What is wrong with that if they have a good bond? If what he is saying is absolutely true then it is good for team NO?

Only in this forum can it be considered a bad thing. Apparently hating teammates or being some sort of toxic garbage is considered good here.

In a team sports, you want unity and players working together towards a common goal.

From another thread:

Just saw his press conference, zero improvement. Same old arrogant imperious attitude, thandi jugtein and not answering questions properly.

He was asked if he will open, and he gave a vague response and a thandi juggut by saying "you will see tomorrow". Gave me flashbacks to "i will answer on the ground" during WC 2023. We know how that turned out. Clown stuff.

He was asked about Usman Khan, and he gave such a sad vanilla pathetic response. Not acknowledging or recognizing Usman Khan's journey or sacrifice or any words specifically about him.

Asked if he has learned from his mistakes, his response was arrogant and apparetnly he is still learning captaincy from the past 5 years. His learning is never ending. Pakistan cricket is a playground for Babar to learn and make new mistakes everyday lol
He also mentioned how he does not think of captaincy when he bats, yeah it clearly shows in your stat padding selfish approach.

Asked about strike rate, no response or acknowledgement to that particular thing. Vague generic response. To be fair the journalist was pretty terrible in his question as well as he first used "average" and then used "run rate" at the end.

The only positive response:

He talked about squad rotation and testing bench strength. Lets see how much of that is true.

Your teammates dont have to be best friends but they should be good enough to win on the pitch.

I am pretty sure Waugh's Australia, no one liked each other but on the pitch the 11 gelled in and made sure to create history.

Thats what we need.

I dont care if they are best friends or mortal enemies off the pitch, the main thing is that these 11 should perform on the pitch to win games.

Your teammates dont have to be best friends but they should be good enough to win on the pitch.

I am pretty sure Waugh's Australia, no one liked each other but on the pitch the 11 gelled in and made sure to create history.

Thats what we need.

I dont care if they are best friends or mortal enemies off the pitch, the main thing is that these 11 should perform on the pitch to win games.
Waughs Australia team liked each other lol, they just didn't meet or go to get together off the field.

They don't need to make cake videos and say nonsense 24/7 and hug each other or hug the opposition.

Waughs Australia team liked each other lol, they just didn't meet or go to get together off the field.

They don't need to make cake videos and say nonsense 24/7 and hug each other or hug the opposition.
Steve Waugh and Shane Warne absolutely hated each other. Shane Warne bashed him publicly for years after they both retired. Symonds and Clarke also had some beef.

Steve Waugh and Shane Warne absolutely hated each other. Shane Warne bashed him publicly for years after they both retired. Symonds and Clarke also had some beef.
Not the entire team like each other obviously 🤣🤣.

Most members were cool with each other but in the same way I'm cool with the receptionist at McDonald's serving me burgers, I ain't exactly gonna be buddy buddy with her.

Not the entire team like each other obviously 🤣🤣.

Most members were cool with each other but in the same way I'm cool with the receptionist at McDonald's serving me burgers, I ain't exactly gonna be buddy buddy with her.
@160KPH

Also btw bro, one thing, Clark and symonds ik,

But the Warne and Waugh thing, as I said I can't 100% confirm but imo, I think their drama genuinely started after their retirement and not while they were playing.

I can detect hostility, either these 2 are the worlds greatest poker faces, or their beef started after they retired and it escalated to the point they started making up fantasy narratives about the era they played. Which trust me ik for a fact that these 2 had a habit of making such narratives.

I don't believe their was hostility during the time they were playing, either that or that's one heck if a poker face

@160KPH

Also btw bro, one thing, Clark and symonds ik,

But the Warne and Waugh thing, as I said I can't 100% confirm but imo, I think their drama genuinely started after their retirement and not while they were playing.

I can detect hostility, either these 2 are the worlds greatest poker faces, or their beef started after they retired and it escalated to the point they started making up fantasy narratives about the era they played. Which trust me ik for a fact that these 2 had a habit of making such narratives.

I don't believe their was hostility during the time they were playing, either that or that's one heck if a poker face
Warne wrote about it in his book a bit. Quick story time:

This all started in 1999, on Steve Waugh’s first tour as Test captain. The tour was a 4 match series in the West Indies and Australia were heavily expected to win every match. South Africa had also just won 5-0 against the West Indies, although these were home games for South Africa.

Australia won the first match easily. Shane Warne had figures of 0/35 in the second innings and did not have to bowl in the fourth innings as McGrath and Gillespie ran through the West Indies side and dismissed them for 51 in 19th overs.

West Indies won the second match by 10 wickets, only a target of 3 runs to chase in the 4th innings, off an incredible 213 by Brian Lara in the second innings. In the second innings Shane Warne went for 1/94.

West Indies pulled off another stunning, down to the wire win, in the third Test after a stunning 153* in the 4th innings. Warne had figures of 1/70 and 0/69.

Warne wrote about it in his book a bit. Quick story time:

This all started in 1999, on Steve Waugh’s first tour as Test captain. The tour was a 4 match series in the West Indies and Australia were heavily expected to win every match. South Africa had also just won 5-0 against the West Indies, although these were home games for South Africa.

Australia won the first match easily. Shane Warne had figures of 0/35 in the second innings and did not have to bowl in the fourth innings as McGrath and Gillespie ran through the West Indies side and dismissed them for 51 in 19th overs.

West Indies won the second match by 10 wickets, only a target of 3 runs to chase in the 4th innings, off an incredible 213 by Brian Lara in the second innings. In the second innings Shane Warne went for 1/94.

West Indies pulled off another stunning, down to the wire win, in the third Test after a stunning 153* in the 4th innings. Warne had figures of 1/70 and 0/69.
@mominsaigol sorry, accidentally hit the post button and didn’t finish the post.

The loss in the 3rd Test was an absolute shock. No one could have predicted that West Indies would lead the series 2-1 going into the 4th match.

Waugh made, what ended up being a brilliant decision, of dropping Warne for Colin Miller in the 4th match. Miller smashed 43(38) in the first innings and proceeded to have bowling figures of 2/39 and 1/27. Australia managed to easily win the match and drew a series they were expected to win.

Warne, however, never forgave Waugh for dropping him. He felt that his captain betrayed him and that he should have been backed. I don’t think their feud ever resolved, even 15 years later Shane Warne said that Waugh was the most selfish player he had ever played with.

Ik, I'm just saying they didn't show this animosity on the field. All this came to light after retirement when the book was published.

Something our players need to learn so that imad wasim and Babar pindi drama doesnt happen again.

if both of em have an issue, after retirement write a book.
@mominsaigol sorry, accidentally hit the post button and didn’t finish the post.

The loss in the 3rd Test was an absolute shock. No one could have predicted that West Indies would lead the series 2-1 going into the 4th match.

Waugh made, what ended up being a brilliant decision, of dropping Warne for Colin Miller in the 4th match. Miller smashed 43(38) in the first innings and proceeded to have bowling figures of 2/39 and 1/27. Australia managed to easily win the match and drew a series they were expected to win.

Warne, however, never forgave Waugh for dropping him. He felt that his captain betrayed him and that he should have been backed. I don’t think their feud ever resolved, even 15 years later Shane Warne said that Waugh was the most selfish player he had ever played with.

Ik, I'm just saying they didn't show this animosity on the field. All this came to light after retirement when the book was published.

Something our players need to learn so that imad wasim and Babar pindi drama doesnt happen again.

I completely agree, that’s why I was opposed to Imad Wasim and Amir talking about Babar on that TV show. Although I suppose Amir was “retired” and Imad Wasim was planning to “retire.” It’s easier to get over private disagreements than the ones that spillover into the public. Better to just wait to make those comments in books and documentaries after the career is over.

I completely agree, that’s why I was opposed to Imad Wasim and Amir talking about Babar on that TV show. Although I suppose Amir was “retired” and Imad Wasim was planning to “retire.” It’s easier to get over private disagreements than the ones that spillover into the public. Better to just wait to make those comments in books and documentaries after the career is over.
Tbf Warne's book was also after waugh retired(although waugh retired earlier)

But both were retired. Imad and Amir and Babar drama happened while one of them was active and the other 2 still had 3-4 years of league left even of they didn't decide to revoke retirement. So immature from these 3.

Should not had accepted captaincy in these circumstances. He is at fault here and cannot be defended.

Making Shaheen the captain based on Psl wins was premature by Zaka Ashraf, yes Babar had to go, but the solution was not Shaheen because Shaheen was always a poor captain and this was going to happen after he was exposed during the series.

I get it, instead of regretting and changing captains after the world t20 2024, it made sense now, and so the right decision was to bring someone better as captain like Rizwan, who has shown he is a good captain.

What Naqvi (or Hulk Hogan according to @Rana) ended up doing was he didnt go for improvement, he went back to Babar. Reason being was political offcourse, Shaheen showing his support for Imran, and thus was removed. Going back to Babar was because Pakistani love Babar and thus this move wouldnt look too bad.

Whats really poor is Babar accepting the job and than his father doing cheerleading. Same situation last year and Shaheen did not take the job. No matter what Babar says, this move did create a divide in the dressing room.

What Pindi drama? Babar is not responsible for what fans say.

Babar did not do any wrong. If he found a player not providing value or was toxic, he as a captain had the authority to decide who to select and play.

It was Imad who was giving statements in media, not Babar. So how is Babar at fault? Even back in KK, it was Imad giving statements on Rizwan.

Thing is, there is a difference between knowing how to speak and knowing what to speak. Imad knows how to speak, but he doesnt know what to speak.

He is no different than Razzaq and Wahab, who also made big statements in media, and today they are take U-turns on everything

What Pindi drama? Babar is not responsible for what fans say.

Babar did not do any wrong. If he found a player not providing value or was toxic, he as a captain had the authority to decide who to select and play.

It was Imad who was giving statements in media, not Babar. So how is Babar at fault? Even back in KK, it was Imad giving statements on Rizwan.

Thing is, there is a difference between knowing how to speak and knowing what to speak. Imad knows how to speak, but he doesnt know what to speak.

He is no different than Razzaq and Wahab, who also made big statements in media, and today they are take U-turns on everything
Yes he is, his toxic cult, if I was babar I'd make a public statement or heck even a small insta post since I have 5M followers telling them off, Chacha did that for masood and it apparently worked in public atleast.

Imad speaks his mind, babar as a captain was a mess and made bad team decisions it rightfully deserved to be critised.

Just because imad and Amir are not a part of the misbah clique doesn't mean the misbah clique members are gods who can't be questioned.

I think you were talking about this video. Looks like some sort of punishment to me.

View attachment 143245
Babar’s favourite game from Peshawar Zalmi team bonding drills.

It’s a testament of Pakistan cricket to him basically. Everyone has to bow/bend before him and he can shoot the ball as hard as he wants at them. Symbolic team drill.

Yes he is, his toxic cult, if I was babar I'd make a public statement or heck even a small insta post since I have 5M followers telling them off, Chacha did that for masood and it apparently worked in public atleast.

Imad speaks his mind, babar as a captain was a mess and made bad team decisions it rightfully deserved to be critised.

Just because imad and Amir are not a part of the misbah clique doesn't mean the misbah clique members are gods who can't be questioned.
Again, you are making 0 sense.

How is Babar responsible? Plz state a law where he is responsible. You cant go around making people responsible for something your dont like. Fans will say what they want. Unless the player directly told them to say that, no he is not responsible.

Forget Misbah, this has nothing to do with him, learn to stay on topic if you know how to have a discussion, or else dont waste other peoples time.

It’s a testament of Pakistan cricket to him basically. Everyone has to bow/bend before him and he can shoot the ball as hard as he wants at them. Symbolic team drill.
Wow that sounds ridiculous. He needs to see a doctor. Why would any self respecting cricketer do this? Unless Babar also likes to bend and take the shots from his team mates, this is clearly an abuse of power. Bobby Badshah took the Badshah salamat title seriously.

Why do the current pak players care about this male bromance bs so much

wasim and waqar used to despise each other and still won matches for fun

Don't know what sort of bond is this when your making juniors bend over and kicking footballs on their bond.

this is definitely abuse of power and the worst part is your making a video and publicly humiliating your juniors

How is Babar responsible? Plz state a law where he is responsible. You cant go around making people responsible for something your dont like. Fans will say what they want. Unless the player directly told them to say that, no he is not responsible.

Forget Misbah, this has nothing to do with him, learn to stay on topic if you know how to have a discussion, or else dont waste other peoples time.

Bro what? You sparked a conversation with me 🤣🤣.You're the same guy who will make a post about Sky being overrated, outright compare him to babar and rizwan and then state who brought up babar and rizwan, so don't tell me to stay on topic 😭😭.

Babar is responsible for Pakistan's downfall and for creating a toxic cult in the first place? Want proof Pindi is one of them, You are the 2nd.

He created said toxic cult to the point that people view him as untouchable, he's indirectly at fault. This shaheen vs babar drama will also come to light eventually as well.

You should watch videos of Babar’s great bonding drills in training. They make guys bend over and Babar shoots the ball at their backside. Proper team bonding

This is what he made both Amir and Imad do before they were allowed to come back 🤣🤣🤣

Don't know what sort of bond is this when your making juniors bend over and kicking footballs on their bond.

this is definitely abuse of power and the worst part is your making a video and publicly humiliating your juniors
It's just lighthearted play relax. They're not juniors either. Fakhar was there as well as Naseem. If you've played on sports teams you'd know things like this happen all the time and it's actually a good sign because players with bad blood don't resort to play like this.

Plus, Babar wasn't the one to make this video and post it.

It's insane how blatantly his haters like to paint their own picture of him

Bro what? You sparked a conversation with me 🤣🤣 You're the same guy who will make a post about Sky being overrated, outright compare him to babar and rizwan and then state who brought up babar and rizwan, so don't tell me to stay on topic 😭😭.

Babar is responsible for Pakistan's downfall and for creating a toxic cult in the first place? Want proof Pindi is one of them, You are the 2nd.

He created said toxic cult to the point that people view him as untouchable, he's indirectly at fault. This shaheen vs babar drama will also come to light eventually as well.
what are you even discussing?

The part of the post was about you calling Babar responsible for pindi crowd, now you are on about responsible for Pakistans downfall.

How is a player responsible for what fans do when the player himself never asked the fan to make chants?

Do you even know what a cult is? Stop throwing words here that you pick off other posters without knowing the context of its usage.

Babar is responsible because the fan said stuff. Can't argue with such logic.

what are you even discussing?

The part of the post was about you calling Babar responsible for pindi crowd, now you are on about responsible for Pakistans downfall.

How is a player responsible for what fans do when the player himself never asked the fan to make chants?

Do you even know what a cult is? Stop throwing words here that you pick off other posters without knowing the context of its usage.
No, I never said that. I said Babar, imad and Amir need to learn to keep their mouth shut until retirement like waugh and Warne.

The reason I didn't take anything what you said seriously is because ik for a fact you can't read or comprehend anything so I played along.

It was clear what I wrote and what you were trying to do because you say the words babar etched onto a page.

No, I never said that. I said Babar, imad and Amir need to learn to keep their mouth shut until retirement like waugh and Warne.

The reason I didn't take anything what you said seriously is because ik for a fact you can't read or comprehend anything so I played along.

It was clear what I wrote and what you were trying to do because you say the words babar etched onto a page.

Babar fans said something bad, so its babar azams fault. What a logic

No fun in this type of fake bonds...:inti

The public does not want such girly bonds, it wants badmashi... :akhtar

Their bond is more like a suspense story from James Bond... nobody actually knows whats going to happen next.

Is this a new trend? Are captains giving the opening bowler a hug before first ball?

I like it. Its sweet.
No probably a pr stunt to tell the world these don't have beef. Which tbh I don't think they have or they resolved it

Back