Pakistan (107/3) secure a convincing 7-wicket victory against Canada (106/7) in a must win game of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
After suffering a defeat against India, Pakistan is now in a critical situation as they gear up to face Canada in their second-last group stage match of the T20 World Cup today on Tuesday (June 11).

The shocking Super Over loss to the USA and a narrow six-run defeat against India have put Pakistan’s chances of making it to the Super Eight in a precarious position. Their path to qualification now hinges on securing substantial victories against both Canada and Ireland, while simultaneously hoping for the USA to suffer significant losses against India and Ireland.

rkRanUU.jpeg

Squads:

Canada
Squad: Aaron Johnson, Navneet Dhaliwal, Pargat Singh, Dilpreet Bajwa, Nicholas Kirton, Shreyas Movva(w), Dillon Heyliger, Saad Bin Zafar(c), Junaid Siddiqui, Kaleem Sana, Jeremy Gordon, Nikhil Dutta, Rishiv Ragav Joshi, Rayyan Pathan, Ravinderpal Singh

Pakistan Squad: Mohammad Rizwan(w), Babar Azam(c), Usman Khan, Fakhar Zaman, Imad Wasim, Shadab Khan, Iftikhar Ahmed, Shaheen Afridi, Naseem Shah, Haris Rauf, Mohammad Amir, Abrar Ahmed, Saim Ayub, Azam Khan, Abbas Afridi

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

110 is par here. Getting to 140 will require some serious effort
They are playing against Canada not against any test playing nations. They should look's for minimum 140 so they can win the game easily and improve the NRR.

Today Pakistan is playing against Canada in a must win game .

Pakistan is favourite for this game but what if they lose against Canada , how will Pakistan fans react?

That would be like Arsenal winning the Champions League!!:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:. If that were to happen I would stop watching Pak Cricket until everyone in the current team is sacked. The board resigns and everyone else too.

I would like Pakistan to bat first. Regardless of pitch they are always more in game when defending a target. I don't see any clutch batsman in Pakistan team who can pull a Kohli.

They are playing against Canada not against any test playing nations. They should look's for minimum 140 so they can win the game easily and improve the NRR.
They are playing against a team is full confidence and coming off a win against Ireland. This team lost to USA. Canada is not far off from USA. There's a chance that history can be created again

Come on Pakistan 😎

Time to destroy Canada 😉.

Chase under 16 overs or Atleast 50 runs victory ✌️

Gotta bat first. Chasing more than 20 runs in last 5 overs is impossible

Minimum of 140 won't happen because this is not a 140 pitch. Canada reached 137 because Ireland bowling besides mark adair is beyond toothless, azam khan was smacking these guys into next week which shows how poor they are.

However the problem is, Canada so far has still been the best team in terms of reading the pitch of NY, ontop of that, USA and Canada are trying their best to reach super 8, because of USA representation. It'll be a huge win especially to Pakistani and Indian representatives for USA and Canada if it happens.

Canada is switched on and will be coming hard against Pakistan even if Pakistan on paper is superior. And don't expect naseem to fire today, like he did in the past 2 games. In this game he'll be mentally shot and will be a run machine, Dude is broken into 2 pieces now

That would be like Arsenal winning the Champions League!!:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:. If that were to happen I would stop watching Pak Cricket until everyone in the current team is sacked. The board resigns and everyone else too.
Very harsh on Arsenal as Canada is not comparable to them .

honestly speaking I hope, they lose to today then later to Ireland, then we see a real change. barring the bowlers everyone is replaced!

No reaction. It's an escape for the team to get 2 points, and then after the USA-Ireland washout say that weather is not in their hands.

If Ireland does beat USA, then they will beat Pakistan as well in the final match.

honestly speaking I hope, they lose to today then later to Ireland, then we see a real change. barring the bowlers everyone is replaced!
I agree
That's what I want
My blood is boiling in rage
I want half of the players to be sacked

For this I want canada to humiliate them I'm best possible way

I hope Canada wins the toss and bowl first so that we are tested to our limit

It should be a comfortable win.

We are still in this tournament. Those dreaming of blessings in disguise and massive change after being booted out are sadly delusional. Not much will change while the PCB is the way that it is.

For now lets hope the boys play well, things go our way and we qualify for the Super 8s.

If we qualify the mood of the players and fans will be lifted.

We are still in this tournament. Those dreaming of blessings in disguise and massive change after being booted out are sadly delusional. Not much will change while the PCB is the way that it is.

For now lets hope the boys play well, things go our way and we qualify for the Super 8s.

As a Pakistani Cricket fan. You always hope for a win. But at the same time you have to have expectations grounded in reality and whatever happens at the end of this tournament, even if Pakistan wins the WT20. The loss against against USA cannot be brushed aside.

Things which are broken need to be fixed.

As a Pakistani Cricket fan. You always hope for a win. But at the same time you have to have expectations grounded in reality and whatever happens at the end of this tournament, even if Pakistan wins the WT20. The loss against against USA cannot be brushed aside.

Things which are broken need to be fixed.
They have been brushed aside for many years. The structural problems in Pakistan cricket are massive and no PCB chairman has the ability to fix it.

At some point you just stop caring and hope that we can at least see a few joyous moments.

Pakistan cricket is like the titanic at the moment. It has already hit the ice berg. The ship is sinking. There are no lifeboats for fans. We are the people locked in at the bottom.

We might as well have a party as it goes down.

Even if we win Ireland USA is a washout.

Can't rely on luck every tournament. We are terrible and dumb so no moaning anyway.

Even if we win Ireland USA is a washout.

Can't rely on luck every tournament. We are terrible and dumb so no moaning anyway.
I won't be sad if we get knocked out. I'd be happy for the US.

But still there is a glimmer of hope that things will go our way.

This Newyork pitch is a tricky one, majority of the runs needs to be scored in the powerplay

Nowhere to hide for Babar and rizwan on this pitch

Would be surprised if Saim isn’t playing today
To be honest, I'm not even interested in this game.

It's clear from the last few matches on this pitch that most of the runs need to be scored during the powerplay.

I can sense Babar making crafty moves like opening with Saim and Fakhar while positioning himself and Rizwan at 3-4.

If it works it works or else the blame will go on saim and fakhar for not making enough runs during the powerplay

Since CT Final 2017, I am always scared out Fakhar playing a blinder. In Pakistan batting, he seems to be most destructive. It is mind blowing that he doesn’t open for Pakistan. It is a captaincy move that is on par with some of the logic defying captaincy moves that India have been making for some time now.

Main issue is the storm coming, wash outs could happen in USA vs Ireland, Pakistan vs Ireland.

England are out if this happens, they'll have 3 of their 4 games be washouts lol

Feel bad for England, 3 of their games are washouts and the only game they played was against Australia. Even if they won that, they'd still be no guarantee they'd make it.

Very very very bad luck.
England will get to play their full games, not much rain at the North Sound.

They will be knocked out due to Scotland getting a point against Australia. Rain forecast for the whole evening.

While England and specially Pakistan haven’t played well till now, not even getting a chance to come back into the tournament due to the weather will be a kick in the teeth.

England will get to play their full games, not much rain at the North Sound.

They will be knocked out due to Scotland getting a point against Australia. Rain forecast for the whole evening.

While England and specially Pakistan haven’t played well till now, not even getting a chance to come back into the tournament due to the weather will be a kick in the teeth.
We can't really judge England atm, We never saw how their batting form would play out against Scotland.

And Australia is way too strong, Australia is superior to England in every department ranging from bowling, fielding and middle order. Only England top order and Australia top order is comparable to one another.

Scotland got off easy cause their 2 toughest games were washouts giving them 2 freebies.

As for Pakistan, its unfair, but realistically they were more likely out. Unless Pakistan absolutely washed and blew Ireland out of the water, those 10 sixes by Jones against Canada put usa > Pakistan automatically.

India vs USA is in New York so no chance of usa getting smacked and bringing that rr down.

We can't really judge England atm, We never saw how their batting form would play out against Scotland.

And Australia is way too strong, Australia is superior to England in every department ranging from bowling, fielding and middle order. Only England top order and Australia top order is comparable to one another.

Scotland got off easy cause their 2 toughest games were washouts giving them 2 freebies.

As for Pakistan, its unfair, but realistically they were more likely out. Unless Pakistan absolutely washed and blew Ireland out of the water, those 10 sixes by Jones against Canada put usa > Pakistan automatically.

India vs USA is in New York so no chance of usa getting smacked and bringing that rr down.
Nah, it’s not unfair based on how rubbish we have been and the amount of politics in the team right now.

But yes it would have been interesting the whole group play out rather than rain playing spoil-sport. We deserve this anyway, so not really that concerned.

England will be short-changed definitely. However, they did get bashed for 90-odd by Scotland on a helpful wicket and then got blown away by their rivals. Their NRR is much worse than Pakistan and that should be a cause for concern.

Nah, it’s not unfair based on how rubbish we have been and the amount of politics in the team right now.

But yes it would have been interesting the whole group play out rather than rain playing spoil-sport. We deserve this anyway, so not really that concerned.

England will be short-changed definitely. However, they did get bashed for 90-odd by Scotland on a helpful wicket and then got blown away by their rivals. Their NRR is much worse than Pakistan and that should be a cause for concern.
Tbf I agree, Their was no guarantee England would beat Scotland either given how they were playing.

Usually people hate my hot takes but I have said that Afghanistan is the dark horse of the tournament and so far that seems to be the case.

I have another opinion that might be a hot take but I personally don't think England is strong, I think their overrated and honestly India, South Africa and Australia are stronger.

England has a world class top order. But bairstow, Brooks, moeen ali and Liam are terrible in the middle, especially Liam.

And bowling is pretry medicore. Adil rashid is good, moeen ali has improved but the pacers ain't their and Archer is not his 2019 self.

SA and Australia are the strongest teams especially in this cup so far, SA doesn't seem to be carrying the choke tag. They ironically have caused other teams to choke instead.

One step a time.
Pakistan need to win today. India need to beat USA tmrw. Pakistan have lost two very close encounters so NRR is not a problem.

The weather can play a spoil sport for the last two games- However in t20s a 5 over bash can constitute a game. So is it possible that we can about 50 minutes of play time on both days- Granted USA need to lose to Ireland and its inexcusable for Pakistan to lose to USA, if it comes down to that then we deserve to be out.

But i rather prefer the group to reach its natural conclusion.

Tbf I agree, Their was no guarantee England would beat Scotland either given how they were playing.

Usually people hate my hot takes but I have said that Afghanistan is the dark horse of the tournament and so far that seems to be the case.

I have another opinion that might be a hot take but I personally don't think England is strong, I think their overrated and honestly India, South Africa and Australia are stronger.

England has a world class top order. But bairstow, Brooks, moeen ali and Liam are terrible in the middle, especially Liam.

And bowling is pretry medicore. Adil rashid is good, moeen ali has improved but the pacers ain't their and Archer is not his 2019 self.

SA and Australia are the strongest teams especially in this cup so far, SA doesn't seem to be carrying the choke tag. They ironically have caused other teams to choke instead.

England are better at Tests. Mediocre without Morgan in LOIs.

2022 they were fortunate to play us in the final.

Canada determined to make the best out of their encounter against Pakistan​

With the stage set for a decisive battle between Canada and Pakistan, Aaron Johnson is keen to use the tricky wicket to their advantage.​

Having overcome Ireland by 12 runs to register their maiden win in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup, Canada is prepared for a tough challenge ahead when they take on Pakistan at the Nassau County International Cricket Stadium on June 11, 2024.

Batting first, Canada set up a 138 runs target for Ireland to chase, thanks to a steady partnership of 75 runs in 63 balls between Nicholas Kirton and Shreyas Movva.
Although the Irish came quite close to breaking the Canadian hearts with Geroge Dockrell (30 runs in 23 balls) and Mark Adair (34 runs in 24 balls) anchoring their innings, breakthrough spells from Jeremy Gordon and Dillon Heyliger restricted them 12 runs short.

Canada hold their nerve to register their first ICC Men's T20 World Cup win.

Canadian batsman Aaron Johnson shared the significance of the win for the North American nation.
“It's a historic win. It's our first T20 win against a test-playing nation, and this just shows that Canada has a lot to offer to the world of cricket. I'm pretty sure this will drive a lot of investment in Canadian cricket to show that we are here to compete. We are not just here to be a part of the tournament,” stated Johnson in the pre-match conference.

He added, “I think we have to just take it stride and keep moving forward.”
In their encounter on Tuesday, a loss for Pakistan would eliminate them from the tournament, having already dropped points to the USA and India in their opening two games.

Source: ICC

England are better at Tests. Mediocre without Morgan in LOIs.

2022 they were fortunate to play us in the final.
I don't really consider 2021 and 2022 as tournaments.

Due to covid era it was shortened. You only needed to be top 2 in your group to succeed and reach semi with mostly Bangladesh, Zimbabwe etc occupying the groups so easy access into semi's even then Pakistan had to Mar mar kei reach.

Lastly all teams were either injured, covid effected and not really into the tournament.

Pakistan got exposed in 2023 and in 2024 due to covid era ending and now a proper tournament is being played with group stages + super 8 and then semi's. And the group stages leave barely room for error as it's now 5 teams + 4 groups and not 6 teams divided into 2 groups each

My prediction that Canada will bat first and score around 130 then in reply Pakistan will score 110/6 in 20 overs and lose

Pakistan v/s. Canada… battle of the century… every Canadian player knows very well that Pakistani players are not playing as one team. Will Babar scored much awaited century against Canada?

Today is end of an era for us ! Back to dark valley , this is awesome

Pakistan v/s. Canada… battle of the century… every Canadian player knows very well that Pakistani players are not playing as one team. Will Babar scored much awaited century against Canada?
Pitch is NY so no one is scoring a century

The perfect result would be if Amir and Imad are benched and Pakistan still lose.

Will they still be blamed?
They'll blame azam, Usman or anyone else.

Even if usman scores a century or some voodoo magic it'll be something like, Usman/fakhar scored here so this proves they are perfect as MO and ba/riz are perfect as openers.

This is unfair. We played the USA Indian team, then the Indian team, and now the Canadian Indian team.

The ICC set this up knowing our poor record against Indians.
Their Indian/Asian players are probably the weak links. It’s their Caribbean origin players that are the worry

The guy called Kirtin is a very good lower order hitter

Was just wondering about this now. Pakistan really needs good forecasts for their remaining games so wondering what the outlook is for the weather today?
5 days of torture for Pak fans

Every day, every game in this group and it’s fixtures is a thin line

I hope Pak bats first. Its impossible to hit boundaries on this pitch after 15 overs. If Pakistan again needs 35 runs in last 5 overs. I am afraid its defeat again. Even full tosses don't go anywhere. Bangladesh connected 2 full tosses very well and still couldn't clear the field yesterday.

Will be interesting to see if they pick an extra batsman after the disaster of picking a bunch of bowlers who ended up batting instead of bowling against India.

I feel for genuine Pakistan fans.

You all go into every game confident your team will win as every fan should be and the team keeps disappointing.

Icc also added insult to injury by the fact that usa is 50% India, Canada is 50% Indian. Meaning Pakistan has played 2 versions of India and has lost 2 and might lose its 3rd

Open with Azam and Iftikhar. Ask them to take down Canadian bowlers in the powerplay.

What's the worst that can happen? They don't score and Pakistan loses a game to an associate Nation at a WT20? That has already happened.

Will be interesting to see if they pick an extra batsman after the disaster of picking a bunch of bowlers who ended up batting instead of bowling against India.

They should. Shadab is anyway not bowling. Common sense suggests that you have to play a batter instead even if it means Saim bats in the middle order.

Open with Azam and Iftikhar. Ask them to take down Canadian bowlers in the powerplay.

What's the worst that can happen? They don't score and Pakistan loses a game to an associate Nation at a WT20? That has already happened.
This pitch gets slower and slower Realistically we need to go all out in the powerplay.

Back