Pakistan bowled out for 297 at Stumps on Day 1 of 2nd Test against New Zealand

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] - sorry bro, you are right. This Massod guy managed a fluke of this decade with that 150....
I am guessing he did not read the swing from the hand.

I’m more worried about that lost review than about Shan’s wicket. Will be regretting this later...

Selfish act by Shan Masood to take that review. He must have known that it was pad first, so not sure why the review was taken?

I’m not sure what instructions are given, but won’t mind if PAK ends first session at 45-0. Rana ji & Ruzwan batted well, but they started against 60 overs old ball - you’ll be surprised with their aggressive batting if they start against 23 overs old ball just before lunch....

this

people should consider match situation before asking for "Afridi" type of cricket

Our system of selection encourages self preservation. I don't blame Shan tbh.

This team management is soft, why do they take forever drop players when they aren't performing. All this bhai bhai and sentimental mentality needs to stop.

I am guessing he did not read the swing from the hand.

He has absolutely no clue of his off stick line. If it was possible to be born again, I would have told him never to bat even at nets before No. 4..... and he is ICC’s opener of the year!!!!!

Fun stuff regarding dismissal patterns:

Shan has been out LBW in his last 4 out of 6 outings if I am not mistaken. 3 times against ENG (consecutively across 2nd and 3rd tests) and again today. His desire to leave the ball has slightly reduced his nicks (in comparison to how he was at the start of his career) but he is now vulnerable to the one that comes back in (exploited by Anderson, Broad and Southee) and the strangle down the leg-side: twice in the last 7 innings.

Shan's had a shocker. Will be very lucky to retain his place in the squad after getting out cheaply in his last 5-6 innings

He has absolutely no clue of his off stick line. If it was possible to be born again, I would have told him never to bat even at nets before No. 4..... and he is ICC’s opener of the year!!!!!

Somewhere Sami sitting in USA must be laughing on the proud son

From my couch, this wicket is not looking unplayable or anything.

It’s really not. People just panic when they see green. It’s mostly for show. After first session it will be a batting haven.

Shan was selected for non-cricketing reasons. But let's remember someone picked him based on an FC average of 34. Blame him.

I think its a bit like Leonardo's Oscar (they gave him an award for his average films)

Just like that they felt bad for not including Pak in team of the decade than to make us feel better they gave us legend Masood

Shan has been out LBW in his last 4 out of 6 outings if I am not mistaken. 3 times against ENG (consecutively across 2nd and 3rd tests) and again today. His desire to leave the ball has slightly reduced his nicks (in comparison to how he was at the start of his career) but he is now vulnerable to the one that comes back in (exploited by Anderson, Broad and Southee) and the strangle down the leg-side: twice in the last 7 innings.

Good analysis, rectifying one weakness opens up another sometimes in Test cricket.

Shan can't keep living off that 150 at OT though, definitely needs a score in the 2nd innings.

Poor dismissal. He needed to give us a good start. And to top it off, he burned a review.

Abid and Azhar need to score big here, and the ball is swinging a lot right now. 300 in these conditions will be a good first innings total.

We have some deeper batting with the inclusion of Zafar, so the tail could contribute more this match.

Shan's had a shocker. Will be very lucky to retain his place in the squad after getting out cheaply in his last 5-6 innings

This is now his 7th low score in a row. Top score I think been 18 lol.

I think its a bit like Leonardo's Oscar (they gave him an award for his average films)

Just like that they felt bad for not including Pak in team of the decade than to make us feel better they gave us legend Masood

And the fact that not much Test cricket took place this year

Shan will be dropped next series unless anything exceptional happens next innings.

You guys are being too harsh on someone who made it to Wisden XI & ESPNCRICINFO XI

Azhar Ali has come to bat inside first 5-6 overs most times in recent times and still guy won’t open!!!! If Babar was available, these two openers would have been still there and Haris would have been dropped. Quite selfish for Azhar, have to say ....

Yea he should open is stance a little bit. Not full Fawad Alam style though.

An open stance will take away his biggest strength-pull shot, but it will help counter his weakness against swing.

Shan needs to be dropped for SA series and please dont replace him with imam who is just as rubbish.

Azhar Ali has completely lost the plot with his feet movement

Just looking at the team, good they booted Yasir but Haris Sohail's on borrowed time.

Need to rotate and put on as much score on the board as possible. Blocking will do no good on this pitch.

This is a good insight. He has too many modes of dismissals, and he's becoming a useless opener now.

I have a bad feeling thatNew Zealand swing bowlers will destroy us if we lose another wicket in this session.

Shan has been horrible since that 150 against Eng.

Southee is such a wonderful opening bowler. Look at the way he set Masood up. Why can't our bowlers learn from guys like him?

Abid and Azhar need to play boult straight here or they will get out LBW

Yea he should open is stance a little bit. Not full Fawad Alam style though.

An open stance will take away his biggest strength-pull shot, but it will help counter his weakness against swing.

Not sure I agree with that. His pull should be fine, especially given he often faces Right Arm Over the Wicket. If anything may reduce his blind spot. I tend to stand on middle-off to cover the swing when facing Right Arm Around or Left Arm Over and open up my stance. Obviously the standard is not comparable but visibility helps. In any case, I think his run is nearing an end so let’s see.

From my couch, this wicket is not looking unplayable or anything.

I think it looks a good batting track, actually. I might be wrong, and it might start seaming round corners but so far, looks like the kind of pitch you need to be careful on for the first hour and score heavily afterwards.

Southee is such a wonderful opening bowler. Look at the way he set Masood up. Why can't our bowlers learn from guys like him?

Abbas can set up batsmen but is limited by pace, Shaheen and Naseem simply haven't played enough FC cricket to learn art of setting a batsman up hence why I'm vehemently against this fast-tracking policy.

Positioning:

Haven’t seen the side-on graphic but I want to see where we stand when facing Southee and where NZD stand while facing Abbas.

Not sure if we are putting pressure on this guy with his 125kph stuff to try and throw him off.

Shan has been horrible since that 150 against Eng.

A) He got complacent after that 150.
B) He Technique for an opener is all over the place.
C) He looks so timid on the crease and seldom looks to score in International games, in domestic he’s a free flowing player and he shd try to play the same way in internationals as well. He’s failing anyway, might as well help him.

Our bowlers are too inexperienced. We have nobody with over 150 test wickets. All successful teams right now have a senior bowler, and we don't. That's the difference.

He has 76 matches under his belt and 300 wickets. He was nowhere as good in his initial few years. He averaged around 40+ with ball in his first 15 test matches.

Fans need to realize it takes time to develop players. Yes right identification of the players to invest in is important.

Abbas can set up batsmen but is limited by pace, Shaheen and Naseem simply haven't played enough FC cricket to learn art of setting a batsman up hence why I'm vehemently against this fast-tracking policy.

Southee is limited by pace too.

I think it looks a good batting track, actually. I might be wrong, and it might start seaming round corners but so far, looks like the kind of pitch you need to be careful on for the first hour and score heavily afterwards.
Exactly. Good toss to lose tbh...

He has 76 matches under his belt and 300 wickets. He was nowhere as good in his initial few years. He averaged around 40+ with ball in his first 15 test matches.

Fans need to realize it takes time to develop players. Yes right identification of the players to invest in is important.

We have experts here who say players are not good enough after 2 Tests. So people can praise them

We cannot play one young batsman...

Everybody is over 30 fgs.

At least play one youngster. Whether it’s Imam, Kamran, Saud. Whoever.

Class shot

He isn’t perfect but I don’t know if we have anyone better than Abid?

That review reminded me of professor's review against Australia and 2014.

Who else remembers that?

Back