Pakistan U19 v Bangladesh U19| 7th Place Play-off U19 WC| Townsville| 24/08/12

Consecutive maidens. Bangladesh is trying to make this game interesting, but they should win it easily from here.

Congrats to the Bangladesh kiddie team for winning this meaningless match!

Match over. Bangladesh wins by 5 wickets and secures 7th place. Pakistan finishes 8th

essentially pakistan only won against newzealand, and lost to all other test playing nations ( India, West Indies, Bangladesh). they only won against ( scotland & afghanistan). To me the problem lies in the batting more than the bowling. In these conditions the batting should make a par score and the bowling is to be relied upon to defend the score)

Lols what performance. But congrats to Bangladesh who have just trashed our team.

The defeat against India has shattered the boys and some stupid decisions all the way from quarters havent helped either.

The most over hyped team ever in the history of country and just look at the results. I guess when will we learn? Over hyping... That's all we do on PP.

The most over hyped team ever in the history of country and just look at the results. I guess when will we learn? Over hyping... That's all we do on PP.

you guys over hype the team for sure.

before the tournament started, you guys were saying you would roll over india and you would win the world cup with ease. this is pure arrogance.

the problem with this kind of attitude is that, once you fail you will become a laughing stock.

pakistan is a good team, but some people need to lose the arrogance a bit. this is no more 90's, pakistan no more plays like cornered tigers.

Last edited:
TBH babar azam, newaz, these guys are good players in the making. But what do you want from them? to win every match when you will see seniors failing at times.

These guys are still young and prone to mistakes.

If you dont perform at U-19 leve how do you suppose to perform in big tournaments?

Lols, you need to calm down. If you look at the last 4-5 u19 WC Paksitan have allways been amongst the top teams so one failure in a world cup doesn't mean much actually.

The same team defeated SA in SA earlier this year, the same team won the Asia Cup and the same team defeated Australia in a 3-match series and the same team was one wicket away from semi-final again.

But as a pakistani supporter it hurts, but that's life. You can't allways win.

Many of these players will be still around in next WC and they will only become better inshaAllah.

Bangla better than Pakistan...who should have thought that 15 days before...

Cricket is a great game

PAK was a better team than many who finished ahead of them in this WC. They are really unfortunate to have finished 8th this time...

I agree that we do tend to overhype, but don't forget that a couple of week's ago this same "overhyped" team beat the finalists (Australia) in a series. And that coming after a win in Asia Cup and away series vs South Africa.

So of course we have high expectations... I was myself 100% confident that we will win the whole thing, and had even planned by week accordingly so I could watch all the games on tv, which is understandable.

But saying that we will roll over India and this and that is just needless, as every game is a new game, something the knockout stages of this tournament has proved.

Last edited:
Lols, you need to calm down. If you look at the last 4-5 u19 WC Paksitan have allways been amongst the top teams so one failure in a world cup doesn't mean much actually.

The same team defeated SA in SA earlier this year, the same team won the Asia Cup and the same team defeated Australia in a 3-match series and the same team was one wicket away from semi-final again.

But as a pakistani supporter it hurts, but that's life. You can't allways win.

Many of these players will be still around in next WC and they will only become better inshaAllah.

THIS !!!

I guess they took the pressure of all that hype and weight of expectations dragged them down. Still is a very talented bunch of cricketers and I expect to see many of them play for the national team in years to come :)

PS: Small correction, we didnt won the Asia Cup. It was tied :)

There is a lot unnecessary insecurity here. It's alright they lost, the other teams out there have also been working hard and have some talented blokes. There are talented players in all 8 top cricket playing nations. You just had a poor one, move on. This is not the end for Pakistan obviously, Zia ul Haq looked far better than Indian senior bowlers. :yk

No excuse for defeats for the 5th and 7th place matches.

Last edited:
^yeah, too much negativity here, they're not suppose to win every game, there are other teams too out there competing.

Its the coach who shud be blamed for these defeats, all of a sudden these kids lost confidence and started playing like under 14. I still believe thjs is a strong team and didn't play to its potential. Fire the coach. Lol

Congrats to the Bangladesh kiddie team for winning this meaningless match!
Congrats Pakistan as well for showing courage and not giving up. Wouldn't this determine the next World cup's seeding? If so you get the champ and #9 SL? Not meaning less as it may seem. We get the runner up and Afgans I think.

Its the coach who shud be blamed for these defeats, all of a sudden these kids lost confidence and started playing like under 14. I still believe thjs is a strong team and didn't play to its potential. Fire the coach. Lol

True, can't just say that boys weren't interested after the QF defeat or they lost heart. Pakistan should have won these matches and finished 5th at least. Unacceptable stuff after the India match.

Also some of the better players were rested for this match. I think azizullah, zia ul Haq if I'm not mistaken. Could have contributed to the loss not that it matters anyway.

We won the Asia cup, we won Group A, we then lost a close QF against India after which the boys were disheartened and didn't give their 100% because of that.
Don't see too much of a big deal, really, we're still a good U19 team

When you have ppl like Sabih Azhar (this WC) and Ijaz Ahmed (last one) as coaches, what u expect? Connection based appointments is ruined 2 good WC opportunities. This is not a domestic T20. In U19, players are young and inexperienced to make decisions and its the support staff who needs to be professional, guiding and planning for each session/game. 8th position clearly shows the management failed to motivate players to play positively.

Probably players thought that these games are meaningless, and they indeed are. :D

Not quite

Don't forget the same 'overhyped' team beat World Champions Australia 2-1 in their own backyard (just before the world cup) and also won all their group games.

But agree it has been all downhill since then

But seriously

I don't understand these playoffs and so many of them. Once you are out of the tournament that should be it

But seriously

I don't understand these playoffs and so many of them. Once you are out of the tournament that should be it

these rankings will determine in which group u will play in next world cup...
higher u finish the easier will be ur matches in next world cup
now pakistan has finished so low.. they can expect to be in same group with team like bangladesh or even england next season thought im not sure

Not quite

Don't forget the same 'overhyped' team beat World Champions Australia 2-1 in their own backyard (just before the world cup) and also won all their group games.

But agree it has been all downhill since then

Not quite they lost badly to England too, when Ben Foakes made a century.

Last edited:
True but sad

Not quite

Don't forget the same 'overhyped' team beat World Champions Australia 2-1 in their own backyard (just before the world cup) and also won all their group games.But agree it has been all downhill since then

Just that 2-1 series win over Aus was basis that your team fans felt so arrogant enough to dismiss others ?????and think that all they had to do was turn up and opposition would disintegrate and hand over victory.
If previous results were basis of victory in future tournaments, India had won two U-19 tournaments in Vizag and Aus coming into this Worldcup.Also they were joint winners of Asia cup. But neither the players ,explayers or press or fans overhyped team. However those two victories were ignored as flukes ,conveneiently forgetting flukes happen once not thrice.

India were confident but not overconfident..nor did they under-estimate their opposition or their own strength while quietly acknowledging weak areas and trying to iron out those weak aspects of game.

Last edited:
Too much experimentation going on from the coach, but in a way thats a good thing for the young lads as everyone gets an opportunity. I think there are at least 3-4 really talented blokes we have found here. Zia, Babar, Sami aslam, Umar waheed, and muhammad nawaz are all very good players.

And ppl said I was harsh to call this side Crap after they lost to us . The qualty of players this WC has been very poor , no wonder India are in the finals . Havent seen SA , but except for few players from England and Aus the rest of the team are very very mediocre .

Impressed with Mohammad Newaz. I think he is going to be much better than Hammad Azam, who thing is nothing but an overhyped cricketer.

And babar azam looks like an interesting prospect.

Congrats Pakistan as well for showing courage and not giving up. Wouldn't this determine the next World cup's seeding? If so you get the champ and #9 SL? Not meaning less as it may seem. We get the runner up and Afgans I think.

Yeah, a bit sorry for that. Bitterness. Congratulations for coming 7th, that's good!

And ppl said I was harsh to call this side Crap after they lost to us . The qualty of players this WC has been very poor , no wonder India are in the finals . Havent seen SA , but except for few players from England and Aus the rest of the team are very very mediocre .

You expect this from young guns! This tourny is for learning not evaluating. Only thing you evaluate is if you find very special natural talent, who can be tuned up in Domestic before they play international.

I have been impressed with Chand, Baba, Harmeet, Vijay Zol, Sharma, Smit and Passi.

what are you on about? this team tied the final and defeated India in league game of Asia cup, defeated Australia 2-1 in Australia before the tournament, defeated South Africa few months back (the supposed favourite this year)

They just lost all the interest it seems after the loss to India, tried a lot of players from the bench in last 2 games. They were inconsequential anyway, I wouldnt read too much into it. This is still a very good team, they havnt gone crap overnight !

ya htis is too find new talents really
im impressed by ravikant..bowls sides,no balls but in between them so unbelievable balls out of no where!
yorker in last game changed everything and his spell against pakistan was pretty good all 3 balls were unplayable
and harmeet guy ..finally we found a quality spinner ..tired of darters and mystery spinners tbh
pakistan found osme talented guys even before world cup... ya some of them performed badly but they are just kids..cant expect them to be consistent..
btw talent wise..most of teams are at same level thts why its so interesting ..engand have 2 good bowlers and one good batsman and rest were not upto mark thts why they got eliminated ..south africa and australia too looked good any one could have won tht match its just matter of whose day it is

This team had talent; but they weren't ever undefeatable.

The likes of Babar, Sami and Zia were portrayed as the saviours of Pakistan cricket.

I sincerely hope they learn from the terrible results and improve.

Lol you can talk- I recall you thought Shazaib Hasan is the best thing since sliced bread!

I never hyped Shahzaib. I haven't created a thread on him yet. I just replied to the negative posts with the positives. And I don't think that is hyping.

We can see out threads and threads on a specific player, this U-19 outfit? Who created them? The PPers are prone to hyping. One good performance and we call that specific player LEGEND :shahzaib

And BTW, Shahzaib is still good and needs to be given sufficient chance :p

Last edited:
you guys over hype the team for sure.

before the tournament started, you guys were saying you would roll over india and you would win the world cup with ease. this is pure arrogance.

the problem with this kind of attitude is that, once you fail you will become a laughing stock.

pakistan is a good team, but some people need to lose the arrogance a bit. this is no more 90's, pakistan no more plays like cornered tigers.

This is why I predicted 2 days before the match that I have a feeling we'll lose to India. Here is the link to my post:

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showpost.php?p=5048367&postcount=2

guys sami aslam is only 16! judge how he does at the next u19 world cup or in domestic cricket

the boys just lost confidence after lost to india thats all, plus after the loss to india we gave the rest of the squad chance to play which only seems fair.

Back