Pakistan v Australia | 2nd Test | Day 1: Session 1 | Leeds | 21/07/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShehryarK

ODI Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Toss in around two or so hours, provided weather is not a factor.

Link to the PP Weather Thread: here

Salman Butt's first Test as captain
. Just as the Test last week was Shahid Afridi's first Test as captain. *sigh*

Let's hope we don't do what England did and have four different Test captains for one summer's Test cricket! :))

Can Pakistan end their 13-0 Test losing streak against Australia? Can this be the first Test against Australia for almost 12 years that we do not lose?

The last Test against Australia that Pak did not lose was in Oct. 1998, at Karachi. Pakistan were led by a left-handed opening batsman in that Test, who was man of the match:

http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63812.html

That was incidentally the début Test for one Shahid Afridi and he took a five-fer in his very first Test in the first innings, against the world's best team. At his home ground. Not bad at all. :)

Link to Cricinfo commentary for today's match once it begins: here

Attachments

• Salman Butt - PP.jpg
    Salman Butt - PP.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 317
On a casual glance he doesn't look like having the force of personality to reign in the wild stallions known as Pakistani Cricket "stars", but there have been unlikely starters in the past who when thrown in the deep end surprised everybody with their leadership skills.

I wish for the sake of Pakistan Cricket that Salman Butt turns out to be one of those. Best of luck to Salman as captain. :butt

On a casual glance he doesn't look like having the force of personality to reign in the wild stallions known as Pakistani Cricket "stars"
Agreed. Let's hope he's a 'chupa rustum'!
but there have been unlikely starters in the past who when thrown in the deep end surprised everybody with their leadership skills.
Probably my advancing years causing memory issues, but the only one I can remember who matched this description in the entire history of Pakistan cricket was Inzi? And that too is debatable.
I wish for the sake of Pakistan Cricket that Salman Butt turns out to be one of those. Best of luck to Salman as captain. :butt
Indeed. Let's hope its not two andas for him at Leeds :)

ShehryarK;2767097 The last Test against Australia that Pak did not lose was in [B said:
Oct. 1998[/B], at Karachi. Pakistan were led by a left-handed opening batsman in that Test, who was man of the match:

i remember that match..millers bowled fast medium on the last day & got us in a bit of bother...ahh fond memories...played in pakistan with akram, inzi bhai, akhtar all in paying XI

Probably my advancing years causing memory issues, but the only one I can remember who matched this description in the entire history of Pakistan cricket was Inzi? And that too is debatable.
It is again one of those things that depends on individual perceptions, and I think Inzi was definitely one of the chhupa rustams. Salim Malik too was a suprise (to me atleast who never saw him as captaincy material, although his other problems - personal and PCB related - didn't let him stay as captain for long).

But I was talking about Cricket generally (not just Pakistan) and there have been a few genial and good natured guys who have gone on to become very good captains, although an overwhelming majority of good captains have been "mean" and no-nonsense guys like Chappel, Imran, Waugh, and Ganguly.

Last edited:
How's the weather looking?

Will we start in 2 hours? Or will there be a delay?

Hopefully our bowlers will do a good job again and will get some improvement form our batsmen!

Now that the test match is being played in Leeds the sun is out here in London, whilst last week at lords was a different story.

Oh well seeing as our best hope in this game is a rained off draw thats not such a bad thing!

In middle-east Ten-sport is showing Srilanka Vs India I am thinking on which channel Pak Vs Australia match will be telecast

am not eager to check the weather forecast any more, loosing my interest slowly

Nice introduction post, SK

Looking forward to this match

Most important thing will be whether Salman Butt can captain the team well enough to retain his position for the next series. We seriously need some kind of stability in the ranks now, and I guess Butt is the least controversial person who can possibly lead our team now. As mentioned above, I'm not convinced he has that x-factor needed to unite our senior players, but we can still hope he's what we really badly need

Let's end that losing streak!

Nice introduction post, SK

Looking forward to this match

Most important thing will be whether Salman Butt can captain the team well
enough to retain his position for the next series. We seriously need some kind of stability in the ranks now, and I guess Butt is the least controversial person who can possibly lead our team now. As mentioned above, I'm not convinced he has that x-factor needed to unite our senior players, but we can still hope he's what we really badly need

Let's end that losing streak!
InshAllah

I am not even excited about this...If Pak bats, I will be going to bed because they will be all out by the time i wake up. If they are bowling, then I will watch for a few hours just to see Salman butt's captaincy...

I am not even excited about this...If Pak bats, I will be going to bed because they will be all out by the time i wake up. If they are bowling, then I will watch for a few hours just to see Salman butt's captaincy...
thats the spirit

In middle-east Ten-sport is showing Srilanka Vs India I am thinking on which channel Pak Vs Australia match will be telecast

That's what I was worried about since day 5 of our first match.

Im hoping they would shift our telecast on Cricone.

I hope ten sports switch the match coverage ..

whats the weather report... over here whoz living in LEEDS?

Five minutes until the toss, and the weather is clear and dry in Leeds, and the early news is that Pakistan have named their team. As expected, Shoaib Malik comes in for the ex-skipper Shahid Afridi, but there's no place for the offspinner Saeed Ajmal, as Danish Kaneria keeps his place.

Salman: everything that happens happens for good
positive:)

Last edited:
well..there will be early movement as normal but yes thats a good toss to win and bat if the weather conditions remain good.

Overcast conditions should help our fast bowlers. I think it was a good toss to lose.
But I am also worried about us batting 4th!!

TEN Sports and CricOne share telecasts, I HOPE CricOne will show it on time :42:

Overcast conditions should help our fast bowlers. I think it was a good toss to lose.
But I am also worried about us batting 4th!!

batting 4th ?? call me pessimist but i seriously think that Australia ll bat only once in this match..we ll bat 2nd & 3rd..

PAKISTAN ZINDABAD!

We've got this lads, c'mon support team Pakistan!

Does that mean Salman B would have bowled had he won the toss?:younis
Yes. Or he just wasn't sure what to do so is glad someone else made the decision - at least now it won't be his fault because of a poor decision after the toss.

Or maybe he's been reading the "Bumper Book of Sporting Cliches".

Stop watching tv, and go pray to Allah for a miracle. I REALLY don't want Pak to lose yet again!

chalo bhai farigh kero aussies ko 150 tak phir humne bhi to itne hi kerne hain :))

so get ready for another phainty from the hands of Aussies, and this time I will be loving every moment of it (not to mention, I loved it and absolutely enjoyed it last 6-8 tests). All the losers are back in the team and lead by one of the lazy **** of a captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back