Pakistan v New Zealand | Napier | 3rd Test - Day 3 | 13/12/09

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once we have erased the lead tomorrow, we should up the run rate a notch or two. Need to get 300+ in the 90 overs tomorrow. That'd take us to 430 by the end of the day tomorrow.

Then, let's do a 20-20 cameo on the last day's morning. Maybe 80 odd in 10 overs, and bowl at NZ for 80 overs.

I still rue Ajmal or another spinning sitting out instead of a pacer, but we can pull it off if NZ are under pressure.

Momo said:
Let's do some arithmetic here.
Two century + scores = 250
Three half-centuries = 175
Mohammad Aamer = 95* (31)
Total = 520
Lead = 520 - 248 (is it?) = 272
Not possible with the amount of overs left.

We'll have to score fast. I think we should go for draw, would be a victory for me.

insaaniyat said:
By looking at the deficit, they did a great job. Tomorrow first goal should be to erase the deficit.

yes overall the two did a good job in not losing any wickets but they were really slow throughout even not punishing bad balls

slix10 said:

We'll have to score fast. I think we should go for draw, would be a victory for me.
Very much possible, considering the fourth line. :aamir

slix10 said:

:aamir have faith.

give credit to both openers. Now Pak team should continue to bat all day tomorrow and try to give nz at least 250 to chase on the last day.

But I think this match looks like a draw.

luvthegame said:
give credit to both openers. Now Pak team should continue to bat all day tomorrow and try to give nz at least 250 to chase on the last day.

Draw looks to me like the least likely outcome. Unless rain intervenes (the get-out clause :D ).

Brilliant effort by openers regardless of pitch condition but you can hardly win a game when you score 56 runs in 32 overs in the last session. I know they were trying to keep wickets in hand but what difference does it make if you lose the wicket today or early in the first session tomorrow.

But 128/0 isn't bad at all.

luvthegame said:

We aint out of the woods just yet. Given the history of our recent collapses NZ only needs to take one wicket for a possible collapse to follow. There is still a long way to go.

If we can somehow bat out the day tomorrow then our chances look good for a win or a draw.

Afridi_Fan said:
Momo please define the Pakistan innings for of. Good that you are here. :)
Pakistan innings today: Vettori attacked, but Butt-Farhat didn't blink an eye. Vettori tried to entice them dangling the unpatrolled boundaries in front of them, they didn't budge an inch.

Very stable second-gear stuff.

Except a couple of moments when Farhat mistook himself for Brian Lara. Hit a six and a four, and almost got stumped. But all's well that ends well.

And now let me comment on tomorrow's day's play. Or better, let me quote my colleage Seen Sheen verbatim:
Seen Sheen said:
yup, NZ are in trouble now..With :moyo:umarakmal still to come,signs are ominous for NZ..
(Inshaallah)

Momo said:
Pakistan innings today: Vettori attacked, but Butt-Farhat didn't blink an eye. Vettori tried to entice them dangling the unpatrolled boundaries in front of them, they didn't budge an inch.

Very stable second-gear stuff.

Except a couple of moments when Farhat mistook himself for Brian Lara. Hit a six and a four, and almost got stumped. But all's well that ends well.

And now let me comment on tomorrow's day's play. Or better, let me quote my colleage Seen Sheen verbatim:

(Inshaallah)
Thank You Momo. By the way, who is this Brian Lara you are trying to compare with the Legendary Bat Carrying Imran Farhat?

Afridi_Fan said:
Thank You Momo. By the way, who is this Brian Lara you are trying to compare with the Legendary Bat Carrying Imran Farhat?
You don't remember him? Well I don't blame you. He is a forgotten retired wannabe from West Indies.

The key I feel to Pakistan's chances of winning this test series assuming that they bat out tommorow and build a lead in excess of 200, will be whether the wicket deteriorates on day 5. The other likely scenario is that if the wicket remains as docile as it and Pakistan set the Kiwis a target under 250, an easy New Zealand victory will be the more likely outcome.

If we go at 3 an over tomorrow, we will end up with a lead of only 150 at the close of play. If we go at 3.5, we will have a lead of about 200. Without a doubt if we get through the day, we will want to bat the morning session of day 5 to ensure we cannot lose. This will leave NZ about 250-300 to get in 60 overs - basically an ODI situation where all three results are possible but a draw is most likely.

opportunity missed. we had set batsman and they should have scored 60 more runs after tea. Now they have to face fresh bowlers and set in again tomorrow. we could still get bowled out tomorrow with lead below 200.

sali said:
opportunity missed. we had set batsman and they should have scored 60 more runs after tea. Now they have to face fresh bowlers and set in again tomorrow. we could still get bowled out tomorrow with lead below 200.

or they could push on from this solid foundation and put a competitve total for NZ to chase on the last day...it's all in the balance right now, probably still in more in the Kiwi's favour really...you can't expect such a big fightback to happen by attacking the bowling that skittled you out for 220-odd in the 1st innings

sali said:
If I wanted to be that negative, I would say we could crumble and face the defeat tomorrow. The point is they played good, wiped out half the deficit. Hope they come back tomorrow and pickup where they left. I feel good so far. Long way to go, but not the bad start. Don't blame them please:)

Target for each session tomorrow-
1st session:80 runs
2nd session:110 runs
3rd session:130 runs(provided we have enough wkts in hand:akmal)
that means we'll be around 320 mark by the end of day4..overall lead:448-248=200 runs,
bat for another 10-15 ovs on last day, and set NZ a target of 290 in 75 ovs or 270 in 80 ovs..

Seen Sheen said:
Target for each session tomorrow-
1st session:80 runs
2nd session:110 runs
3rd session:130 runs(provided we have enough wkts in hand:akmal)
that means we'll be around 320 mark by the end of day4..overall lead:448-248=200 runs,
bat for another 10-15 ovs on last day, and set NZ a target of 290 in 75 ovs or 270 in 80 ovs..

sounds like a plan :)

please e-mail to Intikhab Uncle!

1st of all big big applaud for UMER AKMAL. young STAR in the making, if it wasnt his great effort to catch the ball then vettori was in the mood to score a double hundred cuz our bowlers didnt knew hot to get em out. So big thank U to Umer Akmal. secondly good job kaneria for geting 7 wickets, wish u had taken all of em. anyway very happy to see our openers put on a 100 stand after a longtime but still 120 runs away to give them the lead. nz played rreally well and getting 240 lead is huge in test matches but our players need to stay their tomorow whole day aswell in order to get a winning total anything 300+ would be a good total and i would rather go for in a draw favour then to loose so hope we win this one.

I hope Pakistan dont collapse tomorrow when ever we get a good opening partnership our middle order collapses

We need three guys to score 100s. Butt, Imran and MoYo or Umer. If Umer scores 100, we may get 330 runs tomorrow. That still not good for last day. Looks a long shot considering we will have one collaps in the middle or late order.

It was drop catches again. We should have taken this and first test.

I daresay we send Umar or Kami at 3 tomorrow...we need a guy who's a good striker of the ball up top, Faisal would just waste scratch around and waste time

A total colapse is still on the card,It has happened so many times this year,that it,s not funny any more.They need to bat 4 sessions and a bit.
Win is totally out of window,So run rate does not matter one bit,Just survive
But still a long,long way to go.Still advantage New Zealand.

I am not going to comment what happens tomorrow, anything is possible , remember 285-1 and 320 all out?

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:
I daresay we send Umar or Kami at 3 tomorrow...we need a guy who's a good striker of the ball up top, Faisal would just waste scratch around and waste time
what about:aamir at 3.. :13:

We will............

Oh well, no one knows what we will do. Let the time tell us that.

There might be a collapse tomorrow but if there is no collapse and we score 300 runs in the day which makes pak lead 180 runs and then in the first session on day 5 we should bat 30 overs and score 5 rpo which takes lead to 330 and give newzealand 330 or 300 to chase in 60 overs and go for all out attack with kaneria at one end considering NZ batting line up they might collapse but for that to happen our batsman have to prevent TYPICal pakistan collapse

Why the hell everyone is talking about a collapse? This is negativity at its very best. I know we have collapsed in past. And there might be another one tomorrow, but why the hell even think about it. This really pisses me off big times. :pissed:

Afridi_Fan said:
Why the hell everyone is talking about a collapse? This is negativity at its very best. I know we have collapsed in past. And there might be another one tomorrow, but why the hell even think about it. This really pisses me off big times. :pissed:

No harm in admitting our fears. It wont hurt as much in the worse case scenario. Everytime our openers have clicked this year, our middle order has folded.

Pakistan need to bat till atleast end of day 4 or even till lunch day 5 to save game.

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:

Thats not a bad strategy if the openers last another 100 runs in the morning. If not, we are also playing for draw/time and no need to change the order. we should get aggressive with the run rate after reaching safety.

I'd change the order a bit - move Faisal Iqbal down to No.10 or 11 as an insurance policy.

Oxy said:
I'd change the order a bit - move Faisal Iqbal down to No.10 or 11 as an insurance policy.

and aamer up as claim recovery, i thought why not use "claim today" at some appropriate time, and what is a better time than this

Mashallah, a very Good start by the openers, inshallah they can get the lead down without loosing a wicket.

Nazir_ Rules said:
Mashallah, a very Good start by the openers, inshallah they can get the lead down without loosing a wicket.

I think they can. nz bowlers arent looking like they will take a wicket. if our openers just play out the 2nd new-ball as well there wont be any collapse. but i think they can afford to be a bit more aggressive and score at atleast 3 runs per over from now on...

Ali Raja said:
I think they can. nz bowlers arent looking like they will take a wicket. if our openers just play out the 2nd new-ball as well there wont be any collapse. but i think they can afford to be a bit more aggressive and score at atleast 3 runs per over from now on...
I hope we erase the deficit without losing any wicket. I agree with you they do need to up the tempo a bit. like 3 runs per over minimum. We can't get bogged down.

3-4 runs per over should not be diffcult really, the field is spread and there are plenty of singles and doubles on offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back