Pakistan v South Africa | 1st T20I | Lahore | February 11, 2021 | Pakistan innings

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
After a resounding 2-0 victory in the Test series, Pakistan would be hoping to ride the winning momentum when they face off against South Africa in a three-match T20I series, beginning 11 February in Lahore.

Pakistan v South Africa, first T20I
Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore
Thursday, 11 February; 15:30 local time

Pakistan are in top form at home. They showed both in Karachi and Rawalpindi that they are capable of dominating good teams with their batting as well as their bowling. After two big victories, they will be riding high and be looking forward to carrying their form in the shortest format as well.

Considering the ICC Men's T20 World Cup is just around eight months away, the teams will be hoping to get as much practice as possible in the T20Is.

The visitors will be without most of their regular players with wicketkeeper-batsman Heinrich Klaasen leading the side. Only four players from the Test squad will be featuring in the T20I one. They have three uncapped players on their list – fast bowler Okuhle Cele, wicketkeeper-batsman Ryan Rickelton and batsman Jacques Snyman. The series provides them a good opportunity to build a solid bench keeping the T20 World Cup in mind.

For Pakistan too, there will be some notable omissions. Mohammad Hafeez has been left out, so has been Shadab Khan, who captained the side in the T20Is against New Zealand. They have four uncapped options available – left-arm spinner Zafar Gohar, all-rounder Danish Aziz, leg-spinner Zahid Mehmood and bowling all-rounder Amad Butt.

They will also be boosted by the presence of Hasan Ali, who was recalled for the T20Is. Hasan was brilliant in the Test series, picking up a 10-wicket haul in the second match.

The last time, Pakistan played South Africa in a bilateral T20I series was back in 2018/19. It was South Africa's home series and they won it 2-1. But with a depleted side this time around, the visitors will face a tough task against a strong Pakistan outfit.

Also, South Africa have won only two of their last nine T20Is. In contrast, Pakistan, who have a better record, winning seven out of their last 10 completed T20Is.

What they said

Waqar Younis (Pakistan bowling coach): "The result of the Test series will have an impact on the T20I series. I can’t predict the ultimate result of the T20 series, but you will definitely see good results."

Heinrich Klassen (South Africa captain): "We are by no means a second-string T20 squad and we are looking to win. South Africa has got loads of talent, which people sometimes don’t see because we only have six franchises."

=====

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

5. Report abuse. If you see any post which is inappropriate, report it. Do not respond to it.

Last edited:
Really disappointed with the timing. I read 10.30 uk time last night only for it to change to 1pm this morning

This is the PCB. Expect Shaheen and Hassan to lead the bowling. Add to that middle order of Rizwan, Iftikhar and Asif Ali.

Shaheen should be rested fulls top. Even Hasan Ali is not required we have Hasnain and Rauf other decision is between Amad Butt and Faheem and then you have Nawaz and Qadir

Shaheen, Hassan & Faheem are on the definite playing side and i think Usman Qadir and Ammad butt will join the company in bowling line.

Babar, Rizwan and Iftikhar are surely in line up with Asif, Haidar and Might be Danish are batting hard for Pakistan.

Shaheen, Hassan & Faheem are on the definite playing side and i think Usman Qadir and Haris Rauf will join the company in bowling line.

Babar, Rizwan and Iftikhar are surely in line up with Asif, Haidar and Might be Danish are batting hard for Pakistan.

Really disappointed with the timing. I read 10.30 uk time last night only for it to change to 1pm this morning

There had been lots of confusion in the lead up to match, with several outlets saying 1030. Even sky sports had it on their listings as 1030. I don't know who is to blame, but I don't think the match timing was ever changed, just poorly communicated from the start.

Thick PCB at it again game should start at 4pm there’s smog around & chance of dew later on which ruins the whole contest!!

Would be difficult to defend here. Pak needs to put in a good total to defend it.

South Africa have won the toss and our bowling first

83528111-5d51-4920-b846-214616150fae.jpg8bc71fd9-65eb-4a67-95e8-48b58669cdf1.jpg

Shaheen Shah continues to be bowled into the ground lol.

Who is even his natural LOI replacement if he gets injured? In the supposed land of fast bowling riches we haven't groomed anyone at all.

Decent combinations from both the sides.

Did they really have to play Shaheen? Is the Misbah-Waqar duo that insecure and desperate that they'll risk destroying Shaheen just so they can win a couple of meaningless T20s?

This is maddening, and somebody needs to take notice.

Would be interesting to see how Usman Qadir bowls under the due (If its there) as its generally not easy for leggies. Pak has quite a few bowling options so will have to utilize them if any of the main bowler struggles.

good to see muhammad nawaz back. rizwan should not have been opening.

I said the bowlers straight away but Shaheen playing is plain silly..Hasnain is there shaheens needs to be rested

Good team selected, except for Hasnain. Shaheen should have been rested.

Khushdil has to fire for us, otherwise we need to replace him with Asif.

Nawaz has to bowl well, and especially Usman, as the dew will make things difficult.

Gaddafi gets a lot of dew, so will be interesting to see how our bowling attack progresses.

Batting must be good.

Did they really have to play Shaheen? Is the Misbah-Waqar duo that insecure and desperate that they'll risk destroying Shaheen just so they can win a couple of meaningless T20s?

England rotate their players in the most important of test matches, we can’t even rest our premier bowler against an SA c team.

Shaheen should have been rested.He should not play ithe next two games.There is too much load on him.Hasnain can easily replace him.

I won't be satisfied with anything less than a 3-0 Whitewash from Pakistan.

Let's go Pakistan!

England rotate their players in the most important of test matches, we can’t even rest our premier bowler against an SA c team.

Premier is a myth anyway. He's been so toothless in tests. The very definition of being Waqar'd and losing any ability he may have had

Amad Butt Should be playing instead of Nawaz
Talat hasnt convinced me in t20’s
And Im worried that If the top 3 gets out quickly, we Will have to defend A total of about 120

He's only bowling 16 balls not climbing k2

Premier is a myth anyway. He's been so toothless in tests. The very definition of being Waqar'd and losing any ability he may have had

Toothless or not he’s our premier bowler, gets worked into the ground has an average series or 2 and the fans jump on his back, it’s a cycle we’re used to that we need to get out of.

That was a risky single from the very start.

Have to give it to Fortuin as well. Outstanding fielding

Maharaj has got into Babar’s head. He was too keen to get off strike against the SLA.

Embarrassing stuff.

Hasnain needs to get exposure in these games. He's got maximum pace out of the lot.

Also, this series will dent Babar's averages. He's looked lazy, clumsy all tour.

Pakistan is playing a style of T20 cricket where Oman would feel comfortable beating us.

Back