Pakistan v Sri Lanka | T20 WC | Group F | Johannesburg | 17/9/07 | SL Inns

Status
Not open for further replies.
we are losing the good run rate.. why malik isn't thinking about this...

Srilankans are sure smart ,they are not trying to win but willing to play full 20 overs ,must because of NRR in the end ,very good thinking I m curious what Malik would have think at this stage?

bad day for hafeez...

malik should try bowling himself a little too..

37 neeed from 5 balls.

Come on Gul - yorkers

Gul needs to get some death bowling practice here.

Srilankans have caught napping Pakistan here ,its all about the NRR battle after the lose of 7 wkts and this battle has been won by Srilanka.
I will not be surprised if Malik came up with press release saying that he is not aware of what Srilankans trying to do.

Last edited:
muhammad saad said:
Srilankans have caught napping Pakistan here ,its all about the NRR battle after the lose of 7 wkts and this battle has been won by Srilanka.
I will not be surprised if Malik came up with press release saying that he is not aware of what Srilankans trying to do.

First priority is to win the game

Another one out

muhammad saad said:

bloody hell isnt a win enough!!

Great catch at long n by YK.

Malinga gone, Gul the bowler

Pakistan have held sway over sri lanka in recent times in 20/20 and ODIS recently. Tonites win isnt a shock.

mom has to be afridi .. on a day where batsmen dominates .. he was the only bowler who held his own !

thats the end of that

Pak win by 33 runs. Super win. Great all round performance apart from the openers again

muhammad saad said:

kablooee87 said:
The wrist-slitters must be a very resilient species, they can thrive in even the most unfamiliar of territories. All they need is a wiff.

it holds true....

muhammad saad said:
no it ai'nt enuf especially if we get kick out because of the lower NRR.
I guess you need to chill out here. Enjoy the win and think about th next game when it's played.

I bet Cricinfo will say "Pakistan sneak by Magnificent Sri Lankans"

I wasn't far off

Last edited:
kablooee87 said:
it holds true....
what can I say about the Irrational thinking which is prevailing in every blood of Pakistanis ,That is the difference b/w Austrailia and Pakistan ,If you know what I mean. :19:

Excellent win by Pakistan. They played like a team ... everyone pitched in, and we can see the results. I hope we continue to play like this.

It'd be nice if the openers would start contributing too. They were going gangbusters in the practice games, but ever since the real stuff began, they checked out!

Good win for Pakistan. Someone tell Ponting, we're coming!!!

Pak net run rate is plus 1.65 which is superb considering we played one of the favourites.

Lets think about putting up a good show tomorrow and beating BD

so what was our net RR - does anyone know how its calculated ?

Well done Pakistan, fantastic play (wish you'd bowled the Lankans out, though).

Last edited:
Great support btw for Pakistan today.

Lots of flags and chants of Pakistan zindabad

We have less the 17 hours before the match with Aus starts, Kind of unfair to Pak especially if some of them are fasting.

Saj said:
Pak net run rate is plus 1.65 which is superb considering we played one of the favourites.

auss was 2.8 vs BD...

if we lose a tight match and to aus and sri lanka win a tight one .. auss will end with a nrr about +1.

iafzal said:
We have less the 17 hours before the match with Aus starts, Kind of unfair to Pak especially if some of them are fasting.

yeah i noticed the schedule .. hope our boys can stay pumped up !

Saj said:

I thought we are playing Aus tomorrow???

kashif77 said:
auss was 2.8 vs BD...

if we lose a tight match and to aus and sri lanka win a tight one .. auss will end with a nrr about +1.

I'll worry about nrr after the group has finished

W63L35 said:
I thought we are playing Aus tomorrow???

Lets think about putting up a good show tomorrow, and then beating BD

I've added a comma and the word then :D

Congratulations to Pakistan and all PPers here for their great support. I say they should throw Butt out and bring in MoYo (just kidding).

kashif77 said:
so what was our net RR - does anyone know how its calculated ?

Pakistan: 189/6 in 20 overs. Run Rate: 9.45
Sri Lanka: 156/9 in 20 overs. Run Rate: 7.80

Net Run Rate for Pakistan: 9.45 - 7.80 = +1.65
Net Run Rate for Sri Lanka: 7.80 - 9.45 = -1.65

For Pakistan to seal a place in the semi-final, they need to beat Bangla Desh by a big margin tomorrow. Let's hope it happens!

Thanks, everyone!

hahah cricinfo headline -

"Ebullient Pakistan edge Sri Lanka"

come now that was more then just edge .. we had the match won with 5 overs to go !!

Saj said:
I'll worry about nrr after the group has finished
what is the point then you are done with your matches?
you cannot control your destiny then.

should have some plan on NRR after Aus match so Pak can execute accordingly against Bang.

pakistan zindabad .. wot a win for us.. younis speaks so quick.. the only word i heard from him was "You Know" thats it

iafzal said:

should have some plan on NRR after Aus match so Pak can execute accordingly against Bang.

The fact is to beat Sri Lanka by 33 runs in a twenty over match is a fantastic achievment.

iafzal said:

I guess they should just worry about winning every game rather than NRR.

kashif77 said:
auss was 2.8 vs BD...

Actually ... if Aus wins a tight game against Pakistan, and loses a tight game against Sri Lanka, their NRR from those two games will likely neutralize each other, and they will end the group with an NRR of +2.8.

This is why it's important for Pakistan to beat BD by a large margin. We have to put them into bat first, and then try to get the target in 14-15 overs.

Saj said:
The fact is to beat Sri Lanka by 33 runs in a twenty over match is a fantastic achievment.
100% agree, just thinking how many were slitting their wrists in the 6 over of Pak batting :D

Great come back and a team effort.

Obsessed_in_a_good_way said:
Actually ... if Aus wins a tight game against Pakistan, and loses a tight game against Sri Lanka, their NRR from those two games will likely neutralize each other, and they will end the group with an NRR of +2.8.

right so average out a nrr of 0,0, 2.8 --> it ends up being +1

kashif77 said:

come now that was more then just edge .. we had the match won with 5 overs to go !!

Now changed to:

Spirited Pakistan notch up easy win

junaidmalik said:
I really like Malik's post match interviews, he is a true cheetah when it comes to interviews!!

What did he say (I don't have access to TV coverage, followed the match on 5Live radio on the Internet)

This cricinfo headline is more like it

"Spirited Pakistan notch up easy win"

kashif77 said:
right so average out a nrr of 0,0, 2.8 --> it ends up being +1

No, no, no ... that is not how it is. This is how it's determined:

TOTAL RUNS SCORED ... let's call it A
TOTAL OVERS FACED ... call it B
TOTAL RUNS CONCEDED ... call it C
TOTALS OVERS BOWLED ... call it D

The team's total run rate is A/B ... Call it E
The team's condeded run rate is C/D ... call it F

The NRR is E-F. Clearly, if F is larger, we get a negative number.

A-D can only be calculated after all games are over. But one can watch the trends.

Last edited:
iafzal said:
100% agree, just thinking how many were slitting their wrists in the 6 over of Pak batting :D

Great come back and a team effort.

Never slit your wrists when Pak are playing.

The key for me was the YK and Malik partnership. That lifted the spirits and got us to a good total. It doesnt matter how good you are, to chase a total of 190 against a varied attack was always going to be a tough ask, especially with Jayasuriya gone for virtually nothing.

kashif77 said:

If India win with this many runs then the headline on cricinfo will say:

"Mighty or Ruthless Indian Crushed Highly rated ..... "

Fantastic performance from the boys. We have beaten probably the best team in this tournament and that too with style. Full credit to YK and Malik for batting superbly, and Afridi, Gul, Tanvir, Asif etc for bowling well.. we also fielded pretty well! Watch yourselves Australia, Pakistan is coming!! :D

Obsessed_in_a_good_way said:
Now changed to:

Spirited Pakistan notch up easy win

LOL thats funny ---> how can they go from edged to victory to easy win :)) :)) :))) :))) :)) :)))

I for once, ONCE, did not wrist slit. I knew we could come back with a very decent score. Didn't know we could bowl so well. So happy with this victory! To the semi-finals!!

Once again "Trio of Pathan - Younis, Gul and Afridi" sealed a victory for Pakistan

Last edited:
Saj said:

The key for me was the YK and Malik partnership. That lifted the spirits and got us to a good total. It doesnt matter how good you are, to chase a total of 190 against a varied attack was always going to be a tough ask, especially with Jayasuriya gone for virtually nothing.

saj bhai any updates on the fantasy league :D

Saj said:

Right on the spot, but we should give full credit to good captaincy of Malik (probably good strategy planned by Lawson) of saving Gul reverse swing and lethal yorkers for old ball and later part of the inning.

hellopak said:
Once again "Trio of Pathan - Younis, Gul and Afridi" sealed a victory for Pakistan

or how about "Trio of Punjabi's - Malik, Asif,Tanvir" sealed a victory ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back