Pakistan vs South Africa | 2007 Series | 1st Test | Karachi | 01/10/07 | Day 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Highest total to win a test match in pakistan is 315 against Australia in 1994.

Pakistan were in a similar situation in that game where they conceeded a big 1st inns lead.

Inzi/mushy put on 58 for last wicket and pakistan won by 1 wkt in karachi.

It was the famous finish where Healy missed a stumping to dimiss inzi and ball went for 4 byes to win the match!

We face a huge task to save this match with 2 days to go. I really cant see a way out of this big hole we have dug for ourselves with such an inept batting display yesterday.

how come there is no hawkeye or any decent camera angles? poor coverage really

Pakistan have dug themselves a big hole with the horrandeous first innings but i like the effort they put in today. Kaneria batted well and showed some guts and than he and rehman bowled well. Pakistan still facing a huge uphill task though.

Oxy said:
That was bat/pad - and taken cleanly....Benson says NOT OUT! Why diudnt he refer it if he didnt think it carried.

I dont believe he didnt hear the double nick...

Danish UNPLAYABLE at the moment...

74-3
He looked awfully confused! If he thought Kallis didn't hit it then why was he looking at Taufel?

Pakistan did alright to recover from 5/127 most people were expected them to be all out around in the 190's

Amjid Javed said:
Highest total to win a test match in pakistan is 315 against Australia in 1994.

Pakistan were in a similar situation in that game where they conceeded a big 1st inns lead.

Inzi/mushy put on 58 for last wicket and pakistan won by 1 wkt in karachi.

It was the famous finish where Healy missed a stumping to dimiss inzi and ball went for 4 byes to win the match!
Exactly 13 years ago today AJ

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63654.html

I guess Pakistan will find it difficult to save this match?

In which case, my I pass congratulations to SA and Saffie forummers, better luck next Test, Pakistan.

Good fightback by Pakistan today!

We are still very much in this game. Need to bowl the saffies out in the next 100 runs or so......very possible.

I'd love it if we won this match. I'd JUST LOVE IT (especially after all the 'worst Pakistan team in history' bullcrap)

Hash said:
Good fightback by Pakistan today!

We are still very much in this game. Need to bowl the saffies out in the next 100 runs or so......very possible.

I'd love it if we won this match. I'd JUST LOVE IT (especially after all the 'worst Pakistan team in history' bullcrap)

Kallis was out not given and i think we also missed one chance of Prince. If some how we can bowl them out before 300 lead then we have a good chance.

I think SAF will be bowled out within 200 runs leaving us an impossible 300+ target to chase.

filosofee said:
I guess Pakistan will find it difficult to save this match?

In which case, my I pass congratulations to SA and Saffie forummers, better luck next Test, Pakistan.
don't lose hope yet!

Great fight back from Pakistan today. The '3 wickets' were a pleasure to watch. One lbw appeal against Kallish looked ultra close & could have gone either way. Lets hope Dani & Rehman get kallis & Prince early tommorow!

I honestly think we can win this match, but we can't draw it. THe 3 wickets are a brilliant start and hopefully we can wrap up SA under 200. But it will take some gritty chasing.

Malik was absolutely brilliant today, and he will continue to be.

But again, we CANNOT draw this match. There are still two days left, and if we try to BAT it out, we will crap up.

iZeeshan said:
I honestly think we can win this match, but we can't draw it. THe 3 wickets are a brilliant start and hopefully we can wrap up SA under 200. But it will take some gritty chasing.

Malik was absolutely brilliant today, and he will continue to be.

But again, we CANNOT draw this match. There are still two days left, and if we try to BAT it out, we will crap up.

Malik playing well till he played that crap shot.

You know I have a feeling Younis Khan is going to be laughing at quite a few PakPassioners in the next couple of days. Just a feeling.

Great comeback from Pak. Really liked Malik's innings. He was never bogged down and played a balanced innings. Obviously need early wickets tomorrow and then hopefully keep the target under 340. Even though I think even chasing 250 will be tough, anything is possible with application. Go Pak!

i really think we can chase them down... if you look at the score card, everyone except 3 people made double figures. and you never know even if one of them clicks with malik and the openers give us another steady start... we still have a chance. DON't lose HOPE YET!!!

Pakistan have done well to create a chance for themselves but SAF is still miles ahead.

SAF want to score another 100 and take the lead to 325, ideally by tea so that they can have about 120 overs to bowl Pakistan out. From the current position, i think, following is the best way to go.

Pakistan should really attack in the first 5-8 overs and see it they can take early wickets. But if we fail to take early wickets we must make sure that runs are dried up and SAF declaration is delayed for as long as possible. SAF must lead by 320-330 to declare.

Then it's upto the batting. Ideally Pakistan will 120-130 overs to bat out, and i'm sure if Pakistan can bat these overs out, we will win the game. So the only possible result we can play for is a win. It's high time for a hero: Y Khan, Misbah, Butt, Hafeez, and Faisal all have points to prove. The opportunity is there, and it is not impossible. Play out the spinner and score of the fast bowlers. Keep the strike rotating and SAF will start to panick.

It was always going to be hard to win this match if you lost the toss....with that said it's far from over and the pitch is not THAT terrible that 350 cant be chased .

Hash said:
You know I have a feeling Younis Khan is going to be laughing at quite a few PakPassioners in the next couple of days. Just a feeling.

ahem :D

Match still very much in the balance. Kallizzzzz :28: batted too slow :28: for his ton. Smiffy may yet regret letting him get to a hundred.

OZGOD said:
Match still very much in the balance. Kallizzzzz :28: batted too slow :28: for his ton. Smiffy may yet regret letting him get to a hundred.
well but he got them the runs too. had he got out at max they would've scored around 350.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back