Pakistan vs South Africa | Faisalabad | 3rd ODI | 23/10/07 | SA Innings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hash

Senior Test Player
Runs
Post of the Week
Less than an hour until the start of the all important 3rd ODI in Faisalabad.

A crucial game here in front of a sell out crowd on a pitch which, by all accounts so far, is going to be an absolute belter. Couple that with the small boundaries and we could have a high scoring game on our hands.

Spin could be the key today.

Trying to decide whether or not I should stay up for this one. The match starts at 11 pm for me and I have work in the morning.

I think unless I fall asleep in the next 30 minutes, it's going to be an all-righter.:)

Some reason, I am really looking forward to this game moreso tthan any game on this tour. Probaly because I knwo the atmosphere is going to be unmatched.

From what I've read, Hameed will be coming in for sure and Afridi might even open.

Does anyone know if Asif is expected to play?

I hope they dont play Asif all tour, he's too valuable over the next two tours as a test bowler to waste in ODIs

kablooee87 said:
From what I've read, Hameed will be coming in for sure and Afridi might even open.

Does anyone know if Asif is expected to play?

don't think he expected to play as he is still not completely fit

Mercenary said:
I hope they dont play Asif all tour, he's too valuable over the next two tours as a test bowler to waste in ODIs
Agreed.

Although it's misleading to say "over the next two tours."

Australia's tour is still months away. Unless you mean Zimbabwe.

My boss is out of office today so I can follow the game on cricinfo and post here without worries!

kablooee87 said:
Agreed.

Although it's misleading to say "over the next two tours."

Australia's tour is still months away. Unless you mean Zimbabwe.

without Asif we will definitely lose against Zimbabwe.

darkmoon459 said:
Any news on team selection or any changes for 3 ODI.

Yasir Hameed in for Shahid Afridi.

darkmoon459 said:
really thats will be a nice change and we might end up putting up a decent total .

;-)

umarbs said:
SA batting first after winning the toss :6:

The pitch wont change.

The only previous day nighter in Faisalabad was won by the side chasing (us).

oooffffaaaa ... we've gotten such bad luck with tosses recently.

Man SA has been lucky with the toss on this tour. That's 4 out of 5!

kashif77 said:
oooffffaaaa ... we've gotten such bad luck with tosses recently.

hopefully it all comes flooding back to us in India!

The 22 yard strip to be used for this game is a very dry track but there aren't many cracks around. The pace might not remain consistent with the odd one keeping low as well. The batsmen will relish their batting on this track but only during the first half of the game and as per Waqar Younis, you might very well see some reverse swing working for the quickies too.

Faisalabad pitch typically slows down and turns as the match progresses. It will be key for Pakistan not to concede too many and negotiate Both well when we bat.

Gooner said:
Malik says Shahid Afridi will open.

:D

SA will put up a good total and pakista needs a flier of a start and afridi might do it if the planets are aligned and the cosmic forces are in pakistans favor.

from_da_lost_dim3nsion said:
how much longer tyill the game starts?

about 30 seconds by my watch (not that I am wearing one)

I dont like the strategy of Afridi opening...but i guess he will swap places with Akmal.

Afridi can actually be more valuable down the order.

If Gul could keep his line and length tight to Gibbs, it could help in Tanvir favour against left hand Smith.

Maiden to begin with. Good start.

At this rate we will be chasing 1 run in 50 overs to win the match at a RRR of 0.02

Afridi is usually more effective batting up the order when chasing - the team just tends to bat slowly expecting him to come in and fix everything and he ends up failing.

hahha smith playing at the SR of 200....ok now you've done your job...now lets get out...

another 4

Sohail getting creamed in his first over

hmmn tanvir getting the ball to swing away from smith..

Woah Tanveer is actually swinging both ways!! Didn't think that was possible with his action.

Expensive over from Tanveer. Started off a bit too wide. But recovered well for a good LBW shout and then an edge.

dont you guys think Smith did his job and should get out now....he has score at more then 200 sr and should get out now......at least thats the mantra for our batsmen....

good decision form the umpire,mannnnnnn waqar has really improved, he is giving in detail analysis and all , not like some other pak comms that just state the obvious

Aside from that full ball, another good over from Gul. If Tanveer can bowl tight here some pressure will be really on.

14 for 0 after 3. Solid start for South Africa.

from_da_lost_dim3nsion said:
good decision form the umpire,mannnnnnn waqar has really improved, he is giving in detail analysis and all , not like some other pak comms that just state the obvious

Just wait until chacha Zaheer comes on to comm.

sohail's biggest problem seems to be his control.

and look at Malik he has block that cover drive for Smith....Misbah out of first slip and in the short cover....already stop a 4...good move

Gul has been bowling in the right areas and getting a little movement too. But his pace hasn't been great so he's not looking dangerous.

Gibbs cursing because of the sight screen.

Waqar is on fire today. Making some great points. Making me wish he was still our bowling coach.

Another maiden from Gul. The last ball could easily have been played onto the stumps.

afridi will open tonight. hope he fire or else Pak will have big prob chasing down the total on this low n slow wicket.

Just one wide in 5 overs. Some improvement.

Tanveer trying to do too much.

Waqar knows EXACTLY what he's doing it wrong and pointing it out.

SA 19 for 0 after 5 overs.

Decent start for both teams. SA have not lost a wicket but have been kept reasonably quiet with a run rate of just 3.80 per over.

afridi will open tonight. hope he fire or else Pak will have big prob chasing down the total on this low n slow wicket.

yeah without Afridi, our batting sucks......his 4 runs at the sr of 200 are very impt...he saved us so many time in the 250 odi he has played so far...i wonder what we will do when he retire?

ooh ball almost played on!!

Seems like a breakthrough is close. Hopefully we can capitalize.

geoff lawson has been p i$$ poor ever since he has taken. he hasn't done anything abt the bowling. extras have been alot. can't believe he was a bowler.

Last edited:
waqar making some good points here .. tanvir is experimenting a bit too much .. better that he sticks with his stock delivery.

and on a side note .. we really could use vicky back as bowling coach.

Now Smith charges and plays a wild slog. Misses.

Tanveer has choice words. :)

21-0 after 6

kashif77 said:
waqar making some good points here .. tanvir is experimenting a bit too much .. better that he sticks with his stock delivery.

and on a side note .. we really could use vicky back as bowling coach.
yup, bcz lawson making no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back