Pakistan's pacers have been terrible lately, what has happened to them?

And we have also failed to produce any bowler in recent years who could take even 200 Test wickets.

Think about India's Gabba bowling attack :)

Indian bowling attack experience

5 bowlers 2 tests 9 wickets :)
Siraj (1) + Saini (1) +Sundar(0) + Natrajan (0) + Thakur (1) (didn't bowl in that one test except 1 over)

They faced Starc/Hazlewood/Cummins/Lyon/Green

It's depressing that being able to bowl on a consistent line and length is such a lost art in our country. Even our premier talisman new ball bowler finds it impossible to do it.

Australia won't find extravagent swing when they get the ball, but the likes of Cummins and Hazlewood will bowl 6 balls on the perfect spot over after over, and inevitably one will seam just enough to get the nick. This is the essence of Test match bowling, it's such a simple concept to understand.

Why can't Pakistan's professional cricketers do it?
+100

Perfectly said.

All I see is spraying it all over.

I am not sure how much they play longer format and not sure if domestic wickets are something where you can make tons of mistake and still get wickets.

Shaheen has been very poor after Asia cup. He is not getting any swing and his pace is down. What is the real problem with him ?
He’s finished how many times do I need to tell everyone. Needs to retire. Got rushed back from injury and burnt to the ground won’t ever discover his magic again

These days

Rao Iftikhar Anjum and Rana Naved Ul Hasan would walk into the side easily

Pakistan has very rarely had clear thinkers who understand bowling.

Most of the time, Pakistan has had 1 or 2 good fast bowlers and 1 good spinner.

Imran - Sarfraz - Qadir
Wasim - Waqar - Mushtaq
Asif - Amir - Kaneria

The thing is, Imran Khan was the only leader who understood bowling, and more specifically how to construct a bowling attack to maximise pressure on the opposition.

Let me take you back to 1999. Wasim Akram was in his pomp, Waqar Younis was almost done, Mushtaq Ahmed was unfit, Saqlain Mushtaq was not a proven test bowler and Shoaib Akhtar was an erratic and semi-fit prospect. Meanwhile Abdul Razzaq and Azhar Mahmood were fast-medium all-rounders.

On the 1999-2000 Test tour of Australia the Pakistanis just couldn't get the right combination. Either they picked too many all-rounders or they had too long a tail.

I suspect that they would have won the series had they fielded the following team:

1. Aamer Sohail (who was blackballed)
2. Saeed Anwar
3. Ijaz Ahmed
4. Inzamam
5. Yousaf Youhana (as he then was)
6. Abdul Razzaq or Azhar Mahmood
7. Rashid Latif
8. Shahid Afridi
9. Wasim Akram
10. Waqar Younis
11. Shoaib Akhtar

But the point was that to field all three penetrative quicks, they would have had to field Razzaq and Afridi as all-rounders as the fourth and fifth bowler.

In many ways the same applies now. In the First Test at Perth, the decision to go in with three short medium-pacers meant that Shaheen had to cut his pace and bowl long, unthreatening spells.

Combinations matter. They let you maximise what your strike bowlers can do.

hate to say it, but they all look like sand baggers, cant be that everyone is losing 5kmh as soon as a test starts. no one wants to get injured and miss out on the leagues, at least haris was honest enough to admit it.

Shaheen hasn't been the same post-injury.

Naseem got injured too.

Others are inexperienced. Rauf is only good for T20.

In a nutshell, Pakistani pace department is in a transition phase.

Injuries have got the better of most of our top bowlers. Not getting fit 100 percent before making a comeback can be one of the reason.

Among many of your very good posts , you post something like this , which wouldn’t make any sense and is based on your personal disliking for a player on non-cricketing basis. .

Waqar , in my opinion was even better than Waseem and along with Marshall and Styne was of the most skillful fast bowlers in last 30 years or so .
Most skillful with doctored balls for sure, but the balls that made his (early) career would not be deemed fit for play today.

+100

Perfectly said.

I am not sure how much they play longer format and not sure if domestic wickets are something where you can make tons of mistake and still get wickets.
Look at the Australian captain here - this is Test match bowling.

1702625068542.png

Hats off to Aamer Jamal. Well, Shaheen needs to learn a lot from this youngster. Certainly a dark horse for our side.

+100

Perfectly said.

Yep lose line and length. I think we need to bring in Mir Hamza, he is good in bowling tight lines. He may replace Faheem or Shaheen in case he does not deliver.

Most wickets for Pakistan in 2023 (all formats combined)

1-Shaheen Afridi 56
2-Haris Rauf 51
3-Naseem Shah 36
4-Shadab Khan 21
5-Wasim Jnr 20

Pakistan’s vice captain recorded figures of 2/172 in the first Test match against Australia.

TBH Australians have turned our Shaheen "Eagle" into "Crow" through their aggressive bashing of him.

Waqar Younis was discussing the decline of Pakistani pacers in a discussion show, he said:

"Not that great, to be honest. Watching the first Test was painful. We had the moments where we could have pulled back the game, but we didn't take these opportunities. When Pakistan go to Australia, they must ensure their fielding is good. If you give Aussie batters the opportunity, they will take it with both hands."

"One thing that excites us when we come to Australia is fast bowling. I'm not seeing that. We are seeing medium pacers, all-rounders. There's no real pace, people used to come and watch Pakistan pacers clicking 150kph, but that's not what we see right now. There are a few injured, yes, but we used to have a big pace battery. And I'm worried about that."

Waqar Younis was discussing the decline of Pakistani pacers in a discussion show, he said:

"Not that great, to be honest. Watching the first Test was painful. We had the moments where we could have pulled back the game, but we didn't take these opportunities. When Pakistan go to Australia, they must ensure their fielding is good. If you give Aussie batters the opportunity, they will take it with both hands."

"One thing that excites us when we come to Australia is fast bowling. I'm not seeing that. We are seeing medium pacers, all-rounders. There's no real pace, people used to come and watch Pakistan pacers clicking 150kph, but that's not what we see right now. There are a few injured, yes, but we used to have a big pace battery. And I'm worried about that."

This is a guy who as bowling coach presided over Naseems decline from a 142-148 km/hr pacer to a 130-136 km/hr medium pacer and then stated as a bowling coach that pace is not important. Naseem improved once he moved away from his control and watch. Please keep this parasite away from Pakistan Cricket, he has been given more than enough chances.

This is a guy who as bowling coach presided over Naseems decline from a 142-148 km/hr pacer to a 130-136 km/hr medium pacer and then stated as a bowling coach that pace is not important. Naseem improved once he moved away from his control and watch. Please keep this parasite away from Pakistan Cricket, he has been given more than enough chances.
Waqar, in terms of a coach, everyone says he is pathetic. He has some ego problems.He has destroyed the game and careers of many players.

I think Naseem was at his peak (thus far) before and in the Asia Cup. That control, seam movement where even established Indian batters had not much of an answer.

Moreover I also think Naseem and Shaheen were used to bowling in tandems. How good Pakistan bowling would be if it were in the right hands. Someone that understood the needs and requirements of modern day cricket as well as the players.

I think Naseem was at his peak (thus far) before and in the Asia Cup. That control, seam movement where even established Indian batters had not much of an answer.

Moreover I also think Naseem and Shaheen were used to bowling in tandems. How good Pakistan bowling would be if it were in the right hands. Someone that understood the needs and requirements of modern day cricket as well as the players.
May be by giving them more breaks in between series and utilizing them like Starc and Cummins can bring back their flair.

Australian star pacer Mitchell Starc, while speaking to the media, said:

"I think everyone was slightly surprised at the lower pace of the Pakistan bowlers, when you're generally used to some guys getting in the 150s [kph]. I don't think that pace is the be all and end all but it certainly plays a part and can help,"

"Case in point, you look at Scotty Boland who can bowl good wheels, but he's not at your top end of pace bowlers. But he generates a lot of sideways movement here in Melbourne, obviously being his home ground. He's done it for a long time and we saw that obviously against England, where every ball he bowled could have been a wicket. So I don't think that pace is the be all and end all. Certainly, for our attack we all complement each other really well by doing things very differently."

Shan Masood on Pakistan's pace performance :

"Pace is important but in last tour we brought in guys like Naseem Shah and Musa [Khan] with us. So we had pace then but not experience. It's good that we have given chance to two bowlers that were performing really well in the recent domestic. There was a time when we had secured 15 wickets and would have taken 20 when Usman Khawaja got out but unfortunately that decision overturned and we missed the opportunity to take 20 wickets. Talking about pace we also tried to bring in guy like Haris Rauf for this reason as he can provide you good pace. Naseem was unfortunately injured and Shaheen, we believe whenever is bowling is up there in terms of pace. "

Most skillful with doctored balls for sure, but the balls that made his (early) career would not be deemed fit for play today.
Waqar Younis was better than Wasim Akram and was extremely devastating in his early years before his back injury. He was a sight to behold charging in from the boundary with his rhythmic run up and bowling at high pace. Just go and check the bowling averages for all bowlers (not only Wasim) between 1988 and 1994 and then you will be able to understand the impact which he had in those early years.

Waqar Younis was better than Wasim Akram and was extremely devastating in his early years before his back injury. He was a sight to behold charging in from the boundary with his rhythmic run up and bowling at high pace. Just go and check the bowling averages for all bowlers (not only Wasim) between 1988 and 1994 and then you will be able to understand the impact which he had in those early years.
Haven't seen a better exponent of reverse swing than Waqar Younis. Those banana swinging yorkers used to be mind boggling. I remember in those days people used to watch the highlights especially to see Waqar Younis blasting out the stumps.

They all bowling Paul collingwood type gentle outswing pies. Shaheen will finish with a bowling career average of 40 + if he carries in playing and trundling in

these clowns didnt pick abbas saying his pace is down and now all the phast bowlers bowling under 130kph woowwww

Finally broke the 140kph mark!

lVve635.png

Shaheen and Labu having some banter going on and shaheen is touching 139 KPH ATM.

Think about India's Gabba bowling attack :)

Indian bowling attack experience

5 bowlers 2 tests 9 wickets :)
Siraj (1) + Saini (1) +Sundar(0) + Natrajan (0) + Thakur (1) (didn't bowl in that one test except 1 over)

They faced Starc/Hazlewood/Cummins/Lyon/Green
And when they were bowling to the Aus top order in that game, the highest wicket taker on the field was umpire Paul reiffel :)

TBH when the IPL is on and there is no international cricket, Simply Watching W And W charging in on U-tube is the equivalent of watching VIV swagger out to bat. In my hostel days our rooms were plasterd with centrefold posters of the 2 W's and IK. And we in India had manoh prabhakar trundling in.... and the came along SA who was another sight to behold.
A pity the current bunch cant even rival Asif, Amir, gul, sami and co

I am not sure what is going on with these bowlers. Injuries? lack of interest? Is hard work missing? there has been a significant drop in the pace for all of the Pakistan bowlers, especially Shaheen.

Mir hamza is not express as well. Not even touching 130kph regularly. What is up with these guys?

Mir Hamza is the worst of the lot. No spark at all in his bowling.

Dead straight 120kph bowling.

The economy of bowlers from Pakistan in the 20th over in T20s in 2023

(Min: 30 balls)

6.20 Salman Irshad
7.87 Hasan Ali
8.00 Haris Rauf
8.42 Shaheen Afridi
8.43 Shahab Khan
8.83 Zaman Khan
14.60 Abbas Afridi

Two talents from AJK are on the list, with Salman Irshad at the top and Zaman Khan at 6. And three pacers from Lahore Qalanders( Shaheen, Haris and Zaman).

The economy of bowlers from Pakistan in the 20th over in T20s in 2023

(Min: 30 balls)

6.20 Salman Irshad
7.87 Hasan Ali
8.00 Haris Rauf
8.42 Shaheen Afridi
8.43 Shahab Khan
8.83 Zaman Khan
14.60 Abbas Afridi

Two talents from AJK are on the list, with Salman Irshad at the top and Zaman Khan at 6. And three pacers from Lahore Qalanders( Shaheen, Haris and Zaman).
Mohammed zeeshan should be groomed to be test bowler

Seriously guys

Look at Aamer bowl his heart out without support.

No spinner. No bite in the rest of the attack.

Reflecting on the day's play, while talking in the post-match presser, Warner acknowledged the challenge posed by the Pakistani bowlers.

"I don't think it really matters about your pace if you're putting the ball in the right areas. Pakistan bowled extremely well today. I was taken aback by how many overs Shaheen has bowled already. It was a long day for him. If you're not bowling quick in Australia, you have to hit the right line & length to create something. These guys (Pakistan's pacers) have been outstanding. Shaheen bowled well today with not a lot of luck,” Warner said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pakistan fast bowling is down in the dumps.

There is seemingly no plan to rectify this situation either.

Pakistan had a whole assembly line of promising fast bowlers just a couple of years ago. Shaheen, Naseem, Rauf, Dilbar, Akif, Dhani, Hasnain, Irshad….plus others!

Not a single one of them has come through at this level. We can’t produce test bowlers anymore.

Pakistan should just pull the plug on red ball cricket. Enough is enough. Others will follow suit soon enough.

Let the Big 3 play tests. It’s going that way anyway. We should admit that teams outside of this clique can’t compete anymore.

Waqar Younis couldn’t bowl with a non-doctored ball and he learned to bowl with a new ball only in the last few years of his career after he had lost a lot of pace and it became progressively tougher to tamper with the ball.

Waqar was super impactful for sure. No one could bowl with a tampered ball better than he did. However, those balls that made his career would not be deemed fit to play today.

There are 2 issues- lack of height and lack of skill. Are bowlers are generally midgets and they lack a basic skill of hitting the swam on a consistent basis.

Almost every batsman rates Wasim as their toughest bowler. They know better than us.
Also, Waqar was more attacking (got bashed many times too) and batsmen were more cautious against Wasim and went to score against Waqar is one of the factors why Waqar ended up with more wickets.

Kudos to Pakistan Pace unit today. Especially, Mir Hamza was impressive today. Took 2 for 51 and also at a low economy of 2.32 rpo. Pakistan now have a great chance in this Melbourne test.

If they didn't give 50+ pluss extras then pakistan would have been in a very good position.

Waqar Younis couldn’t bowl with a non-doctored ball and he learned to bowl with a new ball only in the last few years of his career after he had lost a lot of pace and it became progressively tougher to tamper with the ball.

Waqar was super impactful for sure. No one could bowl with a tampered ball better than he did. However, those balls that made his career would not be deemed fit to play today.

Waqar's action following his back injury became more open chested in order to prevent further injury, that was the reason he was more effective with the old ball. In his early career before the injury he had big success with the new ball as well when he was able to bowl more side on.

Can't really blame the bowling this game. They did their job pretty well.

The batting decided to fold and we are already into tail with just 55 overs played.

If/when we lose this game, it is squarely on the batsmen for me. They just failed to show up.

The batting decided to fold and we are already into tail with just 55 overs played.

If/when we lose this game, it is squarely on the batsmen for me. They just failed to show up.
Can we not say we left the Australians off the hook with 50extras ?

Waqar's action following his back injury became more open chested in order to prevent further injury, that was the reason he was more effective with the old ball. In his early career before the injury he had big success with the new ball as well when he was able to bowl more side on.
Yep, in the age range feom 23 to 30, he has the highest no.of wickets in the history of cricket.

Pakistan bowled well no doubt but interestingly I read a stat somewhere that mentioned it was the first time any team batting first made above 300 since 2019 in Melbourne.

This pace less bowling has performed better than speedy bowlers of past in both tests minus warner first inning in first test, despite many dropped catches.

This pace less bowling has performed better than speedy bowlers of past in both tests minus warner first inning in first test, despite many dropped catches.
They have bowled in bowler friendly conditions and from what I saw, they were very average. SSA looks a shadow, HA is FC but that's it, Mir Hamza is barely FC and Jamal has an action that will go from unplayable to downright rubbish.

This was probably our best Test bowling performance in Australia since 2010. We gave away many extras but Australia has also already given away 22 in extras and the innings is not over.

I don’t care about pace if we are getting smashed for 450 runs. These bowlers did a good job so far - it’s been the batting that has stopped us from winning.

Pakistan pace bowling has been on the decline for the best part of a decade now in Test cricket. For me the issue is the low quality standard wicket in first class and National level cricket.

Unless the wickets improve, Pakistan will be a second tier test team.

Pakistan pace bowling has been on the decline for the best part of a decade now in Test cricket. For me the issue is the low quality standard wicket in first class and National level cricket.

Unless the wickets improve, Pakistan will be a second tier test team.
They certainly have been on a decline but what a comeback are they tailoring now. Mir Hamza and SSA you beauty!

Anyone who watched the matches could tell we actually have been bowling really really well compared to what we usually do in Australia. The biggest failing was that first session in the first Test, after that it’s been much much better. Also, we need to get our slip fielding to be even better.

Anyone who watched the matches could tell we actually have been bowling really really well compared to what we usually do in Australia. The biggest failing was that first session in the first Test, after that it’s been much much better. Also, we need to get our slip fielding to be even better.
Especially need some good efforts from Abdullah Shafique!

In this situation, when your 1 fielder is dropping the easiest of catches and he is still in that slip position, what the pacer can do? His confidence is on the ground because he worked hard for that edge and look what the fielder is doing, dropped the easiest ones not just 1, too many.

drom imam and play imran butt as a specialist slip fielder. That guy never drops a catch

Wasim and Waqar besides the internationals would also play a season of County Championship comprising of 17 first-class (3/4 days games, plus the B&H and NatWest Trophy and a few Sunday League matches). They used to bowl a lot and through this they horned their skills.
Nowadays our fast bowlers are happy to bowl 4 overs and get cheap wickets on the boundary.

Aamer Jamal has been brilliant the ball today. He took 6fer today against Australia. Certainly Pakistan Pace factory is coming to life in time.

Pakistan Pace factory for you! But unfortunately now Pak batsmen are ruining their all hard work.
_20240105_101457.JPG

Lately = since the early 2000s.

Pakistan have produced only 2 great bowlers - Wasim and Imran, with Waqar not far behind on that metric.

Everybody else runs out of steam at the 25 test mark.

The former India pacer made a rather outrageous claim on the art of reverse swing, with special context to former Pakistan pacers.

In cricket, the technique of reverse swing has proven to be a formidable weapon wielded by fast bowlers in dislodging batters throughout the sport's history. Historically, Pakistan pacers mastered the art of reverse swing, with notable figures like Imran Khan, Wasim Akram, and Waqar Younis being revered as some of its finest practitioners. The latter two, in particular, distinguished themselves with their adeptness in reverse swing and their ability to transform it into effective toe-crushing deliveries.

A new ball naturally swings on either side due to its shine. However, as the ball ages, losing its shine, its swinging ability diminishes. To address this, players employ a tactic where one side of the ball is kept shiny while intentionally making the other side rough or worn out. Reverse swing, therefore, involves the bowler inducing a swinging motion to an old ball directed toward the shiny side. This is distinct from the conventional swing observed with a new ball, transforming, for instance, an outswinger into an inswinger and vice versa.

The art has faded, particularly in the white-ball formats, due to the introduction of two new balls from either end. However, former Indian pace bowler Praveen Kumar recently made a rather audacious claim regarding reverse swing, specifically in the context of former Pakistani bowlers. While refraining from naming any particular bowler, Praveen asserted that ball tampering was a common practice employed to induce reverse swing, and this knowledge was widespread within cricketing circles.

Source : The Hindustan Times

Back