Pakistan's pacers have been terrible lately, what has happened to them?

Pakistan T20I Captain Shaheen Shah Afridi during the pre match conference ahead of 1st T20I against New Zealand discussed about about lack of pace during tour of Australia. He stated:

"To be honest, we were ourselves looking at the speed o' meters and wondering, is this really us? Because we were unable to understand that despite putting in all the effort, the speeds were not going up. Seeing 130-132 KPH was disheartening and we thought this was pre-decided that we won't go above 130KPH."

"Sometimes your body gets fatigued, and you can’t bowl every ball at 140 plus in Test cricket, and this body is not a machine, so it takes some time. My effort is to make myself fit. Of course, if you lead the team, you have to lead from the front, and I will try to reduce the collapses and the shortcomings so that it is better for the team."

Last edited:
After winning the 5th T20I against New Zealand, Shaheen Shah Afridi in the end of the series presser:

When asked about Pakistan Bowling:

"Yes, we have absolutely struggled. It’s not that these players have done all good. Some did well, some did not, but every player has to go through such a time. As a unit, if we see positive things, then it will be beneficial for us. In some matches, I did not play well, in some matches, Haris did not play well. But if you do not check the combination, you will not be able to find success."​

As an Indian fan, this is the one trait I like about Pakistan cricket. They don't intellectualize fast bowling to pick those who bowl fast and that too at a young-ish age.

In India, the entire cricketing establishment - from selectors to journos - are all about line, length, control, skill etc.

Today's pace bowling performance from Pakistan team was somewhat Nostalgic. Hope things remain the same way in T20 WC too.

As an Indian fan, this is the one trait I like about Pakistan cricket. They don't intellectualize fast bowling to pick those who bowl fast and that too at a young-ish age.

In India, the entire cricketing establishment - from selectors to journos - are all about line, length, control, skill etc.

Which is why they have better pace bowlers for the last few years.

Dominance of Pakistan pacers in T20 cricket

2pMjVKG.png

firstly the myth of pakistan producing great fast bowlers has been overblown, pak have had 3 world class pacers in all history, and maybe 3 or 4 second tier all time quicks.

secondly, the problem is exacerbated as the world professionalises paks semi-pro ways are being found out, from analysis to planning to injury management, none of the supporting functions, actually function, so players are not getting the support they need to compete against the best.

thirdly, most of our newer generation players are, and i hate to be rude, a bit thick, so point number two becomes an even bigger issue.

Going around 8 an over is not a bigger issue but the real issue is the stats in death overs. That is where our bowlers are struggling a bit.

They should be trying to solve that problem because you cannot be bowling 14-15 good overs and then ruin the whole game at the death.

Pakistan had no international commitments since June in the last two months. The PCB even cancelled the Nocs of Naseem Shah so that he could focus on the upcoming international fixtures for Pakistan.

To see Naseem Shah turn up for Pakistan in the first test match with a belly was disgraceful and purely on him. Not sure who the PCB trainers are but this is a reflection of a players own discipline and commitment to the game.

Bowling 120 KPH after 3-4 overs makes it much easier for batsmen to line you up.

We went from gangsters to instagram models.

IMG_3491.jpeg

I’ve saved this pic, and look at it just to remind myself of what we used to have.

Straight trousers, loafers with socks on, shirts with buttons opened, black shades and long hair.

Our bowlers don’t have the aura anymore, one good over with the new ball and we make them into superstars.

We went from gangsters to instagram models.

I’ve saved this pic, and look at it just to remind myself of what we used to have.

Straight trousers, loafers with socks on, shirts with buttons opened, black shades and long hair.

Our bowlers don’t have the aura anymore, one good over with the new ball and we make them into superstars.

The problem is, if you tell the current Pakistani bowlers about the glorious days when our fast bowlers rocked the attitude, charisma, and bad-boy wardrobe like they were gangsters, they'd nod along, taking your words to heart. But the end result? Instead of unleashing their inner predators, they might just start wearing oversized leather jackets and sunglasses off the field, while on the pitch they're still timid trundlers, Meanwhile, back then, Asif and Sohaib were like Rottweilers looking to chew the head off batsmen!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pakistan have only produced 2 Tier-A fast bowlers in history: Wasim and Waqar.

Nobody else since can even see to surpass 50 tests/200 wickets.

If Asif didn’t fix, he would’ve surpassed both of them.

Given that they were unable to defend a total of 160 against uSA their T20 stocks are also falling. Seemingly Amir is getting pasting in CPL this season. Next goal will be T10 ?

Our domestic cricket has been destroyed there are no intl quality players

Most of the bowlers coming through are club level journeymen types honest triers but even these bowlers are limited skill wise and injury prone.

Hope was shaheen but he simply never kicked on and is in a decline phase.

We had some good bowlers wahab , shabbir , gul , rana naved , junaid , rao anjum , sohail tanvir , sohail khan , amir etc physique wise they were up there and had skills to bowl.

We are not even producing these types of bowlers anymore forget about top intl level bowlers like the 2 ws , asif and shoaib caliber bowlers

And the less said about the spin department the better

Back