PCB Chairman Ramiz Raja announces the installation of 2 drop-in pitches

Firebat

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Chairman Ramiz Raja announcing at the PSL 7 Draft that the PCB has entered a partnership with Arif Habib for 2 drop-in pitches, one in Lahore and one in Karachi.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ramiz Raja has announced that in order to improve the quality of pitches in Pakistan and to prepare batters for tours of Australia & South Africa, 2 drop-in pitches will be available. One will be in Lahore and the other in Karachi <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1469991462171459585?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 12, 2021</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

==

Pakistan Cricket Board and Arif Habib Group today signed a Memorandum of Understanding for the installation of drop-in pitches. This partnership is aligned to PCB Chairman Ramiz Raja’s vision of improving the quality of pitches, which, in turn, will help budding cricketers to improve their techniques and produce improved performances on overseas tours.

The partnership was signed between the Arif Habib Group and the PCB during the HBL Pakistan Super League 7 draft.

The Arif Habib Group, as part of their commitment to contribute to Pakistan Cricket by improving cricket facilities and infrastructure, will sponsor two drop-in pitches and has also offered the PCB access to its cricket stadium, which is located in the Naya Nazimabad area in Karachi.

As per the agreement, Arif Habib Group will install drop-in pitches at Naya Nazimabad Cricket Stadium and one more at a location to be identified and confirmed by the PCB in due course. The process for the procurement of drop-in pitches is expected to be completed in 2022.

Once the upgradation is complete, the PCB will host and organise domestic matches at the Naya Nazimabad Stadium including U19 and women’s matches while practice sessions and exhibition matches for the HBL Pakistan Super League franchises can also be staged at the stadium from the 2023 edition onwards.

Chairman PCB Ramiz Raja: “The installation of drop-in pitches is surely going to benefit our players both at the domestic and international levels. Over the years, we have struggled to cope with the extra bounce and pace that some of the pitches in Australia and New Zealand provide.

“Despite abundance of talent and ability, we are yet to win an away Test series in Australia while our record in New Zealand has also taken a beating in recent trips. I want to thank Mr Arif Habib for coming forward and helping us in this regard.

“The Arif Habib Group has a keen interest in cricket which is apparent from the quality cricket facility that they are developing in Karachi. I am sure both PCB and Arif Habib Group will mutually benefit from this agreement in the years to come, as this deal has enormous potential that will come to fruition in due course.”

Chairman Arif Habib Group, Arif Habib: “We are delighted to partner with the PCB for the exciting drop-in pitches plan which will help our present and future stars especially while preparing for the challenges of playing and performing abroad.

“The Arif Habib Group is fully aligned with the PCB’s vision. Soon after taking charge Chairman Ramiz Raja met us in Karachi and we were impressed with his vision for Pakistan cricket which made us commit to this initiative as we believe this is a new beginning for cricket and the cricket economy in the country.

“We have already taken significant steps for the game of cricket as we know it is the passion point for the entire country; the Naya Nazimabad Cricket Stadium is a testament of our commitment to the cause. After this collaboration with the PCB, we will step-up our efforts to ensure that the stadium meets the requirements of top-cricket in terms of the pitches, outfield, infrastructure and spectator comfort so that the stadium can host exciting cricket games.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully this will solve the problem of the abysmal pitches seen so far in the domestic season.

What?

Pakistan is going to become the next Australia.

I think Arif Habib is the guy who said that he will give them a blank cheque if Pakistan beat India in the WC because Ramiz Raja said later that he would make sure that whole thing is presented appropriately.

Spending $3 million by Arif Habib makes no commercial sense at all without a lot of visibility lol

Found it on google

A drop-in pitch is a pitch that is prepared away from the ground or venue in which it is used, and "dropped" into place for a match to take place. This allows multi-purpose venues to host other sports and events with more versatility than a dedicated cricket ground would allow.

Found it on google

A drop-in pitch is a pitch that is prepared away from the ground or venue in which it is used, and "dropped" into place for a match to take place. This allows multi-purpose venues to host other sports and events with more versatility than a dedicated cricket ground would allow.

So essentially it is rolled out into the middle of the ground a few days before play begins. Good to find out the definition of what this term actually means at last!

Ramiz want pakistan tean to draw atleast one test against australia in Australia .:qdkcheeky

Well, Ramiz's tenure is coinciding with a lot of "streaks" being broken haha!

People need to understand pitch reacts to the atmosphere. Drop in pitches have the Australian soil but it won't work to due to different atmosphere in Lahore. Drop in pitches are having nothing artificial about it.

UAE tried by bringing in soil from Australia in 2007 but it just wouldn't work. This hyprid pitch idea looks a lot better, but I don't have any idea about it.

People need to understand pitch reacts to the atmosphere. Drop in pitches have the Australian soil but it won't work to due to different atmosphere in Lahore. Drop in pitches are having nothing artificial about it.

UAE tried by bringing in soil from Australia in 2007 but it just wouldn't work. This hyprid pitch idea looks a lot better, but I don't have any idea about it.

This is an interesting development and hopefully more substance than hype. Pitches and facilities are a huge problem for PCB. Pak pitches have gotten a lot quicker, but lack of bounce still remains a problem. Like [MENTION=130419]shah_1[/MENTION] mentioned, it is more than just dropping in a pitch. Soil and atmosphere play a huge part. Typically more clay content and softer top layer aid in bounce, drainage and fertilizer are also important.
Indian domestic cricket has made huge strides because pitches are a lot bouncier and consistent pace

Incredibly stupid. This guy is out of his mind.

Can you please explain the reason calling this action stupidity ?? I would like to learn what is so horrible about dropped wickets , which seems to be a good idea .

I thought drop in pitches were useful in Australia because they had multi purpose stadiums. Of what use will drop in pitches be in Pakistan where ve have dedicated cricket grounds?

:))) typical pakistani fans. We need drop in pitches it will make us best in the world. Many pakistani fans dont know what drop in pitches mean. Some think that one side will be sloped.

Drop in pitches is basically making a pitch that could be taken out and transported and place where you need

Australia does this because they have all purpose stadiums. Thus to save the pitch from being damage they literally carve it out.

Rameez raja is just a typical cheer leader

Can you please explain the reason calling this action stupidity ?? I would like to learn what is so horrible about dropped wickets , which seems to be a good idea .

Pakistan doesnt need drop in pitches because our cricket grounds are used for cricket only. We dont use it for other sporting events.

Plus, we can built 5-7 different wickets which are fixed in place. Why the need to call a crane to carry a wixket and drop in the ground when the ground is obviously not being used for any other purpose.

For this dramay bazi you also need areas to treat that wixket. Our grounds dont have nurseries there isnt any space... Cranes cost alot of money.

Drop in wickets are also flat dead wickets as its prepared in a metal cage thus it wont crack. Hence, if pakistan want those kind of wickets than rawalpindi and faisalabad already offer those kind of wickets

They also need to work on existing pitches and venues , may be make new pitches with high clay content to get better bounce. Pakistani batsmen mostly struggle with bounce.

Typical of Pakistanis to make fun of someone who is atleast trying to change things and try something different. These individuals should just stick to Misbah and be happy, content with going nowhere

I thought drop in pitches were useful in Australia because they had multi purpose stadiums. Of what use will drop in pitches be in Pakistan where ve have dedicated cricket grounds?

Yes.

We've had trouble getting as much pace & bounce out of drop ins as normal pitches. They also don't seem to break up much.

The only reason some states use them is that Australian Rules Football is also played on cricket grounds. As the money & seasons expanded, the football seasons go so long they begin to almost overlap with cricket season and there was just no way to repair the pitch section after all those football boots on it in muddy winter.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-nsw-slams-plans-for-drop-in-pitch-at-the-scg

The best bet is to ask bowlers to pitch from halfway down the crease so batters can prepare better ;)

The best solution is to do more A tours to SENA like India do.

ENA part of SENA likely won't be too cooperative when it comes to that, maybe England would be, don't expect it from the others though.

We should create a relationship with CSA where there's an A tour between the teams every year. Alternating between SA hosting and Pakistan hosting. SA is among the bounciest nations so should do us good. SA suck in Asia so it'll help them as well.

Yes.

We've had trouble getting as much pace & bounce out of drop ins as normal pitches. They also don't seem to break up much.

The only reason some states use them is that Australian Rules Football is also played on cricket grounds. As the money & seasons expanded, the football seasons go so long they begin to almost overlap with cricket season and there was just no way to repair the pitch section after all those football boots on it in muddy winter.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-nsw-slams-plans-for-drop-in-pitch-at-the-scg

So what's the point in Pakistan getting these pitches? Just a big waste of money it seems.

That's out of Pakistan's control. The ICC is ruled by the Big 3 - primarily India, you don't have much of a say in what your FTP will look like.

So what's the point in Pakistan getting these pitches? Just a big waste of money it seems.

I think Ramiz and the pcb are using the term drop in pitch in a different sense. They want bouncy and fast imported pitches and are calling these drop in pitches. I suppose the pitch itself is being imported from somewhere else although I don’t fully understand how this is better than curating a brand new pitch with the same characteristics as the so called drop in pitch. The other theory is Ramiz is just talking fluff.

That's out of Pakistan's control. The ICC is ruled by the Big 3 - primarily India, you don't have much of a say in what your FTP will look like.

A tours have nothing to do with FTP. Its totally an understanding between boards and of course you need to have the budget cos there is no money coming from it through broadcasting rights

Can you tell me why we need drop in pitches? I understand why fans or Rameez wants them, they have heard about them being used in australia and think its something cool.

Once you answer those questions, i'll simply tell you we don't need them and they don't offer anything to us besides making rameez feel good about something he wants without actually understanding why he wants it, much like a 4 yr old. With all of this in mind, this is not only stipid, its quite childisnh and waste of money. Remember, Babar Azam complained about lack of batting coach yet again today. And why do we not have one? Because Rameez thinks modern teams don't need coaches.

:))) typical pakistani fans. We need drop in pitches it will make us best in the world. Many pakistani fans dont know what drop in pitches mean. Some think that one side will be sloped.

Drop in pitches is basically making a pitch that could be taken out and transported and place where you need

Australia does this because they have all purpose stadiums. Thus to save the pitch from being damage they literally carve it out.

Rameez raja is just a typical cheer leader

Cheerleaders will take offense.

Aren't most cricket grounds in Pakistan multi-purpose venues? Where should they hold the Shadis in Dec if they play international cricket all winter? Because Shadi and cricket in Pakistan overlap, similar to Rugy and Cricket in Australia, we should try it out also because the drop-in pitches work in Australia.

On a serious note, though, Ramiz mentioned that the Nandipur soil used to prepare most pitches in Pakistan does not have the same clay content as the drop-in pitches. Therefore, he feels that the drop-in pitches will provide more pace and bounce due to their superior clay content.

I say we let him try it out. Maybe just like Babar Azam's captaincy at the world cup, this idea also works.

ENA part of SENA likely won't be too cooperative when it comes to that, maybe England would be, don't expect it from the others though.

We should create a relationship with CSA where there's an A tour between the teams every year. Alternating between SA hosting and Pakistan hosting. SA is among the bounciest nations so should do us good. SA suck in Asia so it'll help them as well.

We have had a lot of A tours in the past. Azhar Ali performed for Pakistan A in Australia before being picked for Pakistan. We stopped having A tours recently. We had one against NZ last year(2 first class matches), but couldn't happen due to covid.

It needs investment.

Another solution is to hire a PHD level soil engineer, we need to do soil analysis of all ground pitches where cricketers are playing first class, 2nd XI, U19, U16 and U13 matches. PCB will have all the data of every pitch and their certain character. I heard from cricketers that there are places where clay content is high. This will help them make better decisions

While its true that drop in pitches started being used in Australia as their stadiums were used for multiple sports however, the technology (Which was being used/experimented for other sports as well in Australia) over the decades have become much more refined now and actually provides some other benefits as well.

"The key benefit from the new technology is that it allows for more mature grass and root systems to develop, untouched by sand or other debris from the football season" (https://www.mcg.org.au/the-stadium/stadium-operations/portable-cricket-pitches)

While Pakistani cricket stadiums are not used for other sports but, as per my understanding still the pitches are not as mature, consistent or have proper roots systems beneath the upper surface for one reason or another making some of the pitches either suffer from lack of pace during domestic season from word go or after some days when the pitch starts opening and cracking up.

As season/weather/atmosphere has a role in how pitch shapes up so while drop in pitches might take away the historic nature of the stadium pitches but, can possibly provide a standard pitch to play upon.

Lets see how it goes. We already have the regular wickets and drop in pitches are being sponsored by a corporate house so no burden on PCB. If this works as a hybrid setup it can be good and we might be able to see some consistent surfaces in each domestic season allowing a standardized competition between bat and ball.

Last edited:
If these drop in pitches can help extract bounce same as Aus and SA then that would be great for the players to hone their skills and adjust to the bounce early on before the tour starts

From the past , what we have seen is that touring asian teams batting fail miserably in the start of the series and then slowly getting used to the pace and bounce of the pitches bat better and put some decent scores say in excess of 350.

I think Ramiz and the pcb are using the term drop in pitch in a different sense. They want bouncy and fast imported pitches and are calling these drop in pitches. I suppose the pitch itself is being imported from somewhere else although I don’t fully understand how this is better than curating a brand new pitch with the same characteristics as the so called drop in pitch. The other theory is Ramiz is just talking fluff.

Right ok. So it must be that Ramiz wants soil characteristics which will allow for different types of pitches than the current soil types will allow for...

That's interesting. The new theory in oz now is that if you cut the tray of soil beneath the pitch you are transplanting deep enough (eg something like 24 inches instead of 18) it does better at retaining the characteristics of the place it's taken from.

If they are left in permanently to grow in without being disturbed for years- that's not something we've done really. Could have better outcomes.

Major needs to get a life. He is still miffed at RR kicking Misbah out on his behind. My everyone looks at Misbah with rose tinted glasses

Major needs to get a life. He is still miffed at RR kicking Misbah out on his behind. My everyone looks at Misbah with rose tinted glasses

Coming from the guy who mentions misbah everywhere and more than his fans.

If pakistan will become the no.1 team by making a cricket pitch on karachi beach and carry it on trolley to a karachi stadium, than you my friend are as delusional as our chairman :))

Australia does drop in due to grounds using for other purposes... They dont do it just for the sake of it.

Jee australia has 6 teams, we wil make six. Australia has drop in pitches we will also copy that.

Whats next? Burning the stumps of next match against india and try to make our own desi ashes?

Typical of Pakistanis to make fun of someone who is atleast trying to change things and try something different. These individuals should just stick to Misbah and be happy, content with going nowhere

Trying to change things cost money. Things that offer no value will be costing alot of money. That same money could be used in other sectors.

You want better cricketers? Why not PCB start banning cement wickets and make pitches for every registerred club? Spikes are banned in our club cricket.

Many grounds and clubs dont even have a roller and they are registered with PCB. Many clubs dont even have their own ground and just spend all day practising in nets.

Islamabad under sheikh shakil, yes the very same corrupt sheikh shakil as atleast able to get sponsors for all the grounds of Islamabad. Every club was associatied with a ground and had pitch rollers

Will these kind of pitches stop such scorelines?

==

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa vs Balochistan –UBL Sports Complex, Karachi

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa 116 all out, 41 overs (Kamran Ghulam 31, Sajid Khan 25 not out; Taj Wali 4-19, Kashif Bhatti 4-20) and 264 all out, 82.1 overs (Ashfaq Ahmed 73, Rehan Afridi 48, Mehran Ibrahim 40, Kamran Ghulam 37; Taj Wali 7-68)

Balochistan 100 all out, 26 overs (Ayaz Tasawar 22; Arshad Iqbal 4-31, Asif Afridi 2-8) and 38-3, 10.3 overs (Sameen Gull 2-18)

Trying to change things cost money. Things that offer no value will be costing alot of money. That same money could be used in other sectors.

You want better cricketers? Why not PCB start banning cement wickets and make pitches for every registerred club? Spikes are banned in our club cricket.

Many grounds and clubs dont even have a roller and they are registered with PCB. Many clubs dont even have their own ground and just spend all day practising in nets.

Islamabad under sheikh shakil, yes the very same corrupt sheikh shakil as atleast able to get sponsors for all the grounds of Islamabad. Every club was associatied with a ground and had pitch rollers

That Stadium in Nazimabad is owned by Arif Habib. He probably told the PCB if you want my help, then i will fund a drop in pitch for you at my stadium and in exchange you will try to host international games there. The PCB then negotiated ok, then fund the drop in pitch at Lahore as well. By making Arif Habib Spend Rs 37 crores from his pocket, the PCB has saved up Rs 37 crores that they can spend else where now.

That Stadium in Nazimabad is owned by Arif Habib. He probably told the PCB if you want my help, then i will fund a drop in pitch for you at my stadium and in exchange you will try to host international games there. The PCB then negotiated ok, then fund the drop in pitch at Lahore as well. By making Arif Habib Spend Rs 37 crores from his pocket, the PCB has saved up Rs 37 crores that they can spend else where now.

These dealings arnt that simple. PCB would be giving something and some cost might come on them.

Anyways, the drop in pitches serve no purpose to pakistan cricket

Should have asked Arif Habib to invest the same 35 crore onto ongoing domestic season.

These business men have agreed to sponsor our U14, U16, U19 and A Cricket. Ramiz might make further announcements in this regard in the next few days. Ramiz also mentioned he is against hiring the top notch international coaches for the national side because at that level coaching has very little impact and its all about captaincy, leadership and the players taking ownership of their games like the old times. He also added that he will spare no expense to hire the best international coaches at the NHPC, Pakistan's domestic teams and with the U14, U16, U19 and A team level so that our raw material is ready and roots are strong.

this isn't a project we need at the moment, we need to find a better solution on sports science / selling tickets / ground roots structure

A drop in pitch and the logistics and machinery needed to put one in is not a one of cost or a one of action.

It requires constant replacing pitches that are grown in a greenhouse and moved by cranes and large special trucks with dolly trailers .

A drop in pitch and the logistics and machinery needed to put one in is not a one of cost or a one of action.

It requires constant replacing pitches that are grown in a greenhouse and moved by cranes and large special trucks with dolly trailers .

It will be a flop project, soon people will realise it. This money could have been used to upgrade high performance center.

Pakistan is playing two two-test series next year against SL and New zealand , ramiz raja needs to negotiate and make them 3-test series. Pakistan need to move their focus away from playing so many t20 matches.

It will be a flop project, soon people will realise it. This money could have been used to upgrade high performance center.

Exactly the only reason you need a drop in pitch is If the stadium is used for other purposes like in Australia or New Zealand so the pitch is not damaged .

It would have been better if pakistan employed a proper curator and a soil specialist and prepared wickets similar to Australian wickets or found geographically areas with a climate similar to South africa highveld or Australia to produce similar pitches and import their clay etc .
Places like mansehra abbotabad and quetta which also have high altitude like South africa , a high clay content pitch there would have had pace bounce and the cooler climate in certain times of the year would have aided swing and be similar to England .

But our lot can't seem to get out of lahore or karachi and take the game to other areas In pakistan

If they are going to use drop in pitches then they need to play tests abroad just as Austrlia and New Zealand otherwise waste of money and time.

A good step. At least rambo raja is thinking of improving or preparing his team to handle bounce better.
In the 90's or early 2000's kapil was made the 'convenor of pitches' in India, or some other grand title. I was truly excited as i thought here is a guy who will finally give India true bouncy wickets. But he gave up in a few months , i think he said the politics in the local association of each stadium/city was toxic enough and he couldnt change this. Looking at Delhi, the DDCA are as slippery snakes as they come, cant blame kapil. But i feel a step in the right direction by PCB.
It not that the SC cannot produce true bouncy wickets. I remember matthew wade taking them around his ears in the Dharmshala test, india vs aus 2017. mumbai, mohali, nagpur (at times) are true and bouncy. Chennai - 1996 WC semis aus vs nz was a good true bouncy wicket. The entire series India vs SL played in SL in 2015 was one whole series of fab true bounce and carry wickets. So, end of the day if we wanted to prepare bouncier wickets , we can in the SC. Yes the conditions do matter but we Just need the will to do this.

Javed Miandad speaking to the media:

"There is no need of drop-in pitches in Pakistan, every kind of pitch is made in Pakistan. We also became world-class players by playing on these pitches"

"Very few know this that basically the idea of the drop-in pitch was first introduced by Kerry Packer in Australia as he didn't have grounds to organize world cricket series"

"Whoever comes in the government, talks about doing big things but nothing is happening, the government should invest in sports, it is necessary to attract the youth towards sports"

"There is no need of drop-in pitches in Pakistan, every kind of pitch is made in Pakistan. We also became world-class players by playing on these pitches"

"Very few know this that basically the idea of the drop-in pitch was first introduced by Kerry Packer in Australia as he didn't have grounds to organize world cricket series"

"Whoever comes in the government, talks about doing big things but nothing is happening, the government should invest in sports, it is necessary to attract the youth towards sports"

Lol Miandad is the last person to talk about whoever comes into power doesn't do anything

exactly, but people wont understand this.

Eventually what would happen is that when this idea fails or there are no funds, that drop in pitch would than permanently be fixed in the cricket ground. We dont have the funds to carry out this project in the long run.

We dont even know the exact details how much and what part is being sponsored and for how long. Eventually if no one pays than it becomes a problem

But the boards of SENA countries are beholden to the BCCI lobby, Pakistan aren't gonna get much help trying to organize these tours.

yeah, same old same old FTP, A tours, U 19 tours, Big 3 yatiyatiyah.
At least comment on RR trying to do something towards a positive improvement. i wish and hope india tries such changes in our FC/Ranji set up.

yeah, same old same old FTP, A tours, U 19 tours, Big 3 yatiyatiyah.
At least comment on RR trying to do something towards a positive improvement. i wish and hope india tries such changes in our FC/Ranji set up.

It will not work in India. The soil content and drop in pitch will crack open and not sustain due to variance in weather. Climate, Soil, Purpose of Stadium everything is different in SubContinent vs Australia.
You can create a decent bounce pitch India, but the Australian one just cannot be replicated.

KARACHI: Following the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and Naya Nazimabad last week, Ramiz Raja, Chairman, PCB, visited Naya Nazimabad to survey the cricket stadium where a drop-in pitch is to be installed.

This partnership is aligned to Chairman PCB’s vision of improving the quality of pitches across Pakistan and Arif Habib Group’s vision of contributing to the improvement of facilities and availability of opportunities to budding cricketers.

Ramiz Raja, Chairman, PCB, concluding his visit of the cricket stadium and Gymkhana observed, “I am amazed at the brilliance of the facilities available at Naya Nazimabad that will go such a long way in uplifting not just the game of cricket but also other sports. We have decided to assign a technical team to Naya Nazimabad Cricket Stadium which will work very closely with the Management to upgrade the stadium making it ready to host exciting domestic and international cricket games.”

Arif Habib, Chairman, Naya Nazimabad said, “With the ever-growing demand for cricket in the country and the improvement in the security situation, foreign cricketers are comfortable touring Pakistan, many of whom have already visited Naya Nazimabad. We look forward to working with PCB to revive Pakistani’s cricket greatness, glimpses of which we have seen recently.”

Copyright Business Recorder, 2021

Credit goes to Ramiz for thinking out of the box and coming up with new ideas to improve Pakistan cricket.Previous chairmen left everything to lower management whereas Ramiz is actively involved at alllevels.

Credit goes to Ramiz for thinking out of the box and coming up with new ideas to improve Pakistan cricket.Previous chairmen left everything to lower management whereas Ramiz is actively involved at alllevels.

The pitches were alot better last year but this year has taken them back a few years again.

Miandad should not be talking against the drop in pitches, he knows what was his performance in Australia , never good ? Pakistan has never performed well down under and by the the time they get acclimatized to Australian wickets they already had lost the series. There is no better preparation for an Australian tour or T20 WC than to have "Australian wickets" at Lahore and Karachi to get acclimatized before landing in Australia .

Rameez Raja has been so critical of pitches in Pakistan for a long time. I find it really ironic that this is the first test match under his chairmanship . . disastrous!

Rameez Raja has been so critical of pitches in Pakistan for a long time. I find it really ironic that this is the first test match under his chairmanship . . disastrous!

I honestly think the PCB has been so starved of revenue that they wanted guaranteed 5 day revenue from this Test- trusting public goodwill & novelty factor to draw the crowd for 5 days.

The risk of that is "poisoning the well" for future tests. Because while it was heartwarming to see big crowds, making noise, enjoying themselves, diverse crowd of old, young, men, women etc I know from posters here they ALL went through an arduous walk to the ground, all the security checks etc.

Will they come back? Will they recommend a Test to friends for next tours? You can kill the golden goose Ramiz.

I hope they do better next time. The public deserve it. And Test cricket will be the better for it.

I honestly hope this pitch is rated "poor" so whoever made this pitch happen smartens up their act.

I believe Ramiz is sharp enough to grasp this but if we see 2 more highways then I guess he's being shortsighted in a cash grab for short term gain that really hurts growth long term.

Imagine the growth possible if the most diverse Pakistan crowd I've seen had come away with memories of a GREAT test & spread that goodwil...

I honestly think the PCB has been so starved of revenue that they wanted guaranteed 5 day revenue from this Test- trusting public goodwill & novelty factor to draw the crowd for 5 days.

The risk of that is "poisoning the well" for future tests. Because while it was heartwarming to see big crowds, making noise, enjoying themselves, diverse crowd of old, young, men, women etc I know from posters here they ALL went through an arduous walk to the ground, all the security checks etc.

Will they come back? Will they recommend a Test to friends for next tours? You can kill the golden goose Ramiz.

I hope they do better next time. The public deserve it. And Test cricket will be the better for it.

I honestly hope this pitch is rated "poor" so whoever made this pitch happen smartens up their act.

I believe Ramiz is sharp enough to grasp this but if we see 2 more highways then I guess he's being shortsighted in a cash grab for short term gain that really hurts growth long term.

Imagine the growth possible if the most diverse Pakistan crowd I've seen had come away with memories of a GREAT test & spread that goodwil...

If that is so, there are so many business fallacies in that decision making . . not least, you've already killed interest in the test immediately after . . I know people in Karachi who were thinking of going but now are like we will see . . the age old "test matches are boring"

Wt an idiot rameez raja is.
The aus employ drop in pitches because their groups are multi purpose as they play footie ie aussies rules football on the same grounds all across aus. N they have a long season. Plus u have concerts etc on a regular basis.
So it becomes some wt tricky to maintain the square n produce pitches to their liking.

Now Pakistani grounds r utilised for no other purpose but cricket.

So their is no need for drop in pitches.
Or maybe its a paisa Kahane ke scheme n this pindi pitch was prepared such to fail sp theirs no opposition to drop in pitches.

Wt an idiot rameez raja is.
The aus employ drop in pitches because their groups are multi purpose as they play footie ie aussies rules football on the same grounds all across aus. N they have a long season. Plus u have concerts etc on a regular basis.
So it becomes some wt tricky to maintain the square n produce pitches to their liking.

Now Pakistani grounds r utilised for no other purpose but cricket.

So their is no need for drop in pitches.
Or maybe its a paisa Kahane ke scheme n this pindi pitch was prepared such to fail sp theirs no opposition to drop in pitches.

Right on! PCB admin is full of idiots; Heck, setting aside the armed forces, as soon as you land in Pak, you start seeing morons in every professional setting.

There is absolutely no need of drop-in pitches if cricket stadiums have barely been used for cricket itself. I am sure a better solution would be to hire proper engineers to build soil contents for a competitive cricket. As it used to be in AU - different surfaces in different city climates presented their own challenges; SCG was totally different than MCG or WACA. Pak is blessed to have a very diverse land which has different clay contents. Why not spread the cricket to different regions and let engineers build the pitches for entertaining cricket.

Salman butt for all his issues makes a decent point in his interview with Sawera Pasha the other day that drop in pitches won’t survive long in pakistan due to extremely hot weather, why is pakistan paying over 72 million rupees for this when the agha khan ground in Karachi has plenty of pace and bounce and the pitches in abbotabad have plenty of pace and swing .

LAHORE: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has postponed the idea of installing the drop-in pitches in the country, according to media report.

According to the details, the PCB, led by the chairman Ramiz Raja, has instead decided to appoint a consultant to assess if Australian-made pitches will be suitable for Pakistani conditions.

According to the initial idea, the PCB will first import Australian soil and seed it in various locations across the country to test the outcomes under the supervision of a consultant.

The Director National High-performance Center (NHPC) Nadeem Khan said it is Ramiz’s vision to improve the quality of the pitches.

“It was Ramiz Raja’s vision to improve the quality of pitches here. We, therefore, are hiring a consultant for the drop-in pitches,” he said.

“The consultant will come here in March/April. We don’t have drop-in pitch experts so we decided to get suggestions,” he added.

It is pertinent to mention here that Ramiz has emphasized improving the quality of pitches in the country since taking the charge as the chairman of PCB.

==

Drop in pitches plans have been dropped for now. Another harebrained RR idea meets reality.

The trialling of Australian soil is a good idea, but they need to train these incompetent curators first.

Last edited by a moderator:

now they are not gonna go for drop in pitches. They will hire experts and discuss with them. Basically wasting money.

Drop in pitches are used in Australia because the stadiums are used for other sports. Rameez is gonna waste money now

There's places in northern and western pakistan which have a Mediterranean type dry climate similar to South africa and altitude like the highveld.

The pitches there can be hard wickets with pace and bounce the climate you could in effect copy the south african climate and pitch.

But that would mean ditching karachi and lahore and going to places like hazara division , gilgit , skardu , muzafarabad , quetta , swat , chitral etc.

Not sure what is to be critical about here? This shows Ramiz is not stupidly stubborn and he has listened to feedback that just blindly getting drop in pitches to Pakistan will not work therefore he has hired a consultant to come to Pakistan in April and assess the feasibility of the idea. In any case the $2 million provided by Arif Habib Group will be used to develop pitches in Pakistan so its not like the money will go to waste.

Not sure what is to be critical about here? This shows Ramiz is not stupidly stubborn and he has listened to feedback that just blindly getting drop in pitches to Pakistan will not work therefore he has hired a consultant to come to Pakistan in April and assess the feasibility of the idea. In any case the $2 million provided by Arif Habib Group will be used to develop pitches in Pakistan so its not like the money will go to waste.

Good to see that he is taking feedback and overturning his own decision.

PCB abandon drop-in pitches idea, instructions issued to improve current pitches

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has abandoned the idea of installing drop-in pitches and issued notifications to improve and enhance the already existing pitches, according to sources.

The ground staff and curators have already begun implementing instructions issued by the PCB chairman Ramiz Raja.

"Preparation of GSL and NSK for another big season has started! Separately and as part of PCB’s efforts to create the best possible facilities for Pakistan future stars, up-gradation of pitches in the first phase at select grounds that entertain max grassroots cricket is near completion," PCB said in a statement.

The sources claim that Bermuda Dhaka Grass will be used to improve the pitches in Karachi and Lahore stadiums. This will not only improve the condition of the pitches but also offer more movement to the pacers.

The details also reveal that the PCB has kept the upcoming T20 World Cup in mind, which is to be played in Australia. To prepare the players for the conditions in Australia, hard and bouncy pitches will also be curated. This will further help when Pakistan will host England and New Zealand at home next year.

"This is what we call post-season. Here we rectify all the shortcomings and we also experiment with new grass and soil. The aim is to de-compact the pitches and remove all the lifeless soil and organic matter from them, which brings about massive improvements," said a pitch curator in a video posted by the PCB.

A total of 13 pitches are expected to be renovated under this new initiative launched by the PCB. The pitches will have variety; some will offer more bounce whereas others will carry more grass to prepare batsmen for overseas conditions.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/news/detail/pcb-abandons-drop-in-pitches-idea

Lahore, 21 April 2022: The Pakistan Cricket Board has rejected media reports, which suggested that it had shelved the idea of drop-in pitches.

In a statement, the PCB reiterated and re-emphasised that all plans were on track and the board had already submitted an order for the Australian clay, which is expected to arrive in Pakistan next month.

The PCB said Mr Damian Hogg, the head curator at the Adelaide Oval, has been appointed as a consultant to materialise the idea of drop-in pitches. Mr Hogg is scheduled to arrive in Pakistan next month to share his expertise with the local curators, which will expedite the implementation.

https://www.pcb.com.pk/press-releas...ppointed-as-part-of-drop-in-pitches-plan.html

Pakistan is the worst international Test venue in the world primarily because of the lifeless pitches.

We've heard many tall claims about improving pitches for decades so let's see what comes of this.

"Khi and Pindi stadiums will have state of the art chairs" : Ramiz Raja

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A 77% surge in partnership rights for bilateral Home Series for 22-23 season is great news for Pak Ckt. Our reserves are at an historic high! We will use part of those funds to develop infrastructure for fans. As a first, Khi and Pindi stadiums will have state of the art chairs.</p>— Ramiz Raja (@iramizraja) <a href="https://twitter.com/iramizraja/status/1525391748318613504?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 14, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

==

I would like to see what state of the art means when it comes to chairs - was hoping for just seats instead of cement steps to sit on!

Could we see these seats in Pindi and NSK?

Chairs-Stadium-600x393.png

Back