[PICTURES/VIDEOS] Is Rohit Sharma finished or has he still something left in the tank?

Is Rohit Sharma finished as an explosive batter outside powerplay?

• Total voters
He is around from 17 years now. Damn, how do subcontinent players manage to hang this long. There is no evidence that he is calling it off after this tournament either.

India might win a icc event after these overrated stat paddees are gone.
1. Kohli is not a statpadder. He’s among the greatest match winners India has produced. Don’t go by IPL, I don’t give much credence to it
2. Rohit doesn’t have much stats to pad

So far not so much impressive made 20*(13) will he better his score after the play resumes against LSG.

Rohit made 68(38) today against LSG but interestingly was dismissed by a wonder kid who is not even in the Indian squad.

Rohit is finished. I knew that when I noticed he was not able to bat outside of PP in the WC 23.
A great white ball player nonetheless

He wasn't finished in the World Cup. 2nd highest run scorer with 54 average and 125 strike rate in the World Cup was finished?

Rohit made 68(38) today against LSG but interestingly was dismissed by a wonder kid who is not even in the Indian squad.

He wasn't finished in the World Cup. 2nd highest run scorer with 54 average and 125 strike rate in the World Cup was finished?
He was able to dominate the PP on tailormade slow pitches which completed neutralized the opposition pacers.
He was playing those lofted strokes and running down the pitch to likes of Rabada,Starc,Hazlewood.
Outside of PP he was not longer the same Rohit who could rotate strike and play a long knock

He was able to dominate the PP on tailormade slow pitches which completed neutralized the opposition pacers.
He was playing those lofted strokes and running down the pitch to likes of Rabada,Starc,Hazlewood.
Outside of PP he was not longer the same Rohit who could rotate strike and play a long knock

Tailor made slow, flat pitches where an allegedly finished batsman was hitting bowlers out of the park while Shami was dominating opposition batters who were in prime form on the same pitchrs

No wonder you lot hype up the likes Babar Azam :facepalm:

In the same WC, Shami, Siraj and Bumrah made opposition batsmen dance on the same pitches where Rohit was scoring runs for fun.

The difference is formats. Rohit is not a 200 s/r batsman that T20’s demand. He is a 120-150s/r batsman. Works great in ODI’s. For T20’s, its poor s/r.

Tailor made slow, flat pitches where an allegedly finished batsman was hitting bowlers out of the park while Shami was dominating opposition batters who were in prime form on the same pitchrs

No wonder you lot hype up the likes Babar Azam :facepalm:
In the same WC, Shami, Siraj and Bumrah made opposition batsmen dance on the same pitches where Rohit was scoring runs for fun.

The difference is formats. Rohit is not a 200 s/r batsman that T20’s demand. He is a 120-150s/r batsman. Works great in ODI’s. For T20’s, its poor s/r.
Credit to Indian bowlers for bowling well on those surfaces. Probably because they were playing at home and most aware about the lines and lengths to bowl on those surfaces.Bowlers from SENA naturally bowl a touch shorter compared to Indian bowlers.
And erring on shorter side on slow pitches always proves costly.

And what has this got to do with Babar Azam lol?

1. Kohli is not a statpadder. He’s among the greatest match winners India has produced. Don’t go by IPL, I don’t give much credence to it
2. Rohit doesn’t have much stats to pad
Kohli also stat padded since 2013. Last time he won a icc title.

Multiple failures in icc means you need to be dropped.

Siraj was one of the worst bowlers in the tournament.

Run machine fodder.

Rohit is having a go in his last World Cup trophy. No reason for him to keep dragging himself into this team. He has done enough, but could not win an ICC trophy as a captain will be the only thing that he will keep thinking about when it comes to his career as a cricketer, else he has achieved everything.

Rohit is having a go in his last World Cup trophy. No reason for him to keep dragging himself into this team. He has done enough, but could not win an ICC trophy as a captain will be the only thing that he will keep thinking about when it comes to his career as a cricketer, else he has achieved everything.
Lara must be an abject failure then and nothing to remember him by!! Different standards for different players, huh?

rohit sharma is a great asset for the india team regardless of age he still has a tank full. he's the type of player who can get into the pakistan team with no questions asked.

During an event, Rohit Sharma shared his experience with Pakistani fans:

"I love the messages from Pakistani fans. I know they love their cricket. Every time we're in the UK, they come up to us and respectfully tell us how much they love us, how they love Indian cricketers, and how they love to watch us play on the big stages. It's all about loving the sport and loving what you do on the field. When someone appreciates your game like that, you obviously feel blessed."

Last edited:
Matthew Hayden, the Australian legend proposed an interesting idea on an international sports channel that Rohit Sharma could thrive in the middle-order:

"Rohit is a versatile player and does not shy away from batting away in that middle order. He has a successful record in T20I cricket batting at No. 4 and he can lead the batting group from the early middle order."

Rohit Sharma wants to leave a mark on the next generation

As Rohit Sharma prepares to lead the side in what would be his ninth ICC Men’s T20 World Cup, the veteran India opener and captain talked about his legacy and aiming to leave a mark for the younger generation.

Rohit is one of only two players to play all editions of the T20 World Cup, with the right-hander and Bangladesh veteran Shakib Al Hasan having participated in every 20-over showcase thus far.

“It is quite exciting (playing another T20 World Cup),” Rohit told the ICC recently.

“I never thought about it, honestly speaking. But it is nice having played all the T20 World Cups. And I've enjoyed every bit of it. When you come to ICC tournaments, it is always exciting, [and] brings a lot of new challenges.”

Rohit made a sizzling start to his T20 World Cup journey in 2007, smashing a half-century in his first-ever innings to win the Player of the Match award in a crunch game against South Africa.

However, the 37-year-old stated that the first thing that came to his mind from the tournament was the bowl-out against Pakistan in 2007.

“I think the first thing that comes to my mind is the bowl-out that we had against Pakistan,” Rohit said.

“I think that was the first ever bowl-out that happened, and for us to come out on top was even more exciting. You know, it has never happened before. No teams have done it in the World Cup.

“So it was quite exciting for us to have a crack at it and come out on top eventually. And I still remember that after our normal training, we used to train for bowl-outs, which was quite exciting. Everyone used to participate in that bowl-out.

"And we knew at some stage we have to have, we have to play and win that game through bowl-out. And that's exactly what happened when we played a game against Pakistan. And like I said, it was nice to come out on top.”

Talking of the evolution of the tournament as such, having walked the journey himself, Rohit stated that the format had “actually reached to a level where nobody believed”.

“Honestly speaking, when it started, we had no clue about how it's going to make a mark on world cricket. Now that we sit back after playing the first inaugural World Cup, which was in 2007, and we are in 2024 now. 17 years have passed by.

“Every year you see the style of play, how players have evolved playing this format. It is quite exciting and I never thought it would reach this level because when it started, obviously it was a very unknown factor to the world as to what this format will bring to the world. I must say that it has actually reached a level where nobody believed.

“But that's also a lot to do with how the players have, each country and the players have evolved with the game and taken it to the next level.”

Stressing that winning a World Cup is the “most prestigious” thing a player can do in his career, Rohit said that he hoped to make an impact on the future generation of cricketers.

“Look, it's always been the dream to win World Cups. Winning the World Cup is the most prestigious thing that you can ever do. And for me, nothing changes from all the World Cups that I have played. I always wanted to win and I will still keep driving towards that,” he added.

“As a player of the national team, our responsibility is to encourage the next generation to take up the sport and play the sport. So I think that is something that I want to leave behind, leave a mark on the next generation who are going to follow us, the way we play, the way we carry ourselves on the field.

“Those are the things that I'll be really proud of if I can leave something behind on those lines. I think it's mentally, to keep myself calm and enjoy the sport, enjoy each and every bit of it.

“I think it's important that you try and be in the moment, enjoy that present moment, and leave the rest up to the Almighty. Because I think it's important that you keep doing what you're supposed to do and be sincere in your work ethics, be true to the sport. And I think if I can do all of that, that's perfect.”

India will take on Ireland in their opening group encounter in the Men's T20 World Cup in New York on Wednesday, June 5.

ICC

As Rohit Sharma prepares to lead the side in what would be his ninth ICC Men’s T20 World Cup, the veteran India opener and captain talked about his legacy and aiming to leave a mark for the younger generation.

Rohit is one of only two players to play all editions of the T20 World Cup, with the right-hander and Bangladesh veteran Shakib Al Hasan having participated in every 20-over showcase thus far.

“It is quite exciting (playing another T20 World Cup),” Rohit told the ICC recently.

“I never thought about it, honestly speaking. But it is nice having played all the T20 World Cups. And I've enjoyed every bit of it. When you come to ICC tournaments, it is always exciting, [and] brings a lot of new challenges.”

Rohit made a sizzling start to his T20 World Cup journey in 2007, smashing a half-century in his first-ever innings to win the Player of the Match award in a crunch game against South Africa.

However, the 37-year-old stated that the first thing that came to his mind from the tournament was the bowl-out against Pakistan in 2007.

“I think the first thing that comes to my mind is the bowl-out that we had against Pakistan,” Rohit said.

“I think that was the first ever bowl-out that happened, and for us to come out on top was even more exciting. You know, it has never happened before. No teams have done it in the World Cup.

“So it was quite exciting for us to have a crack at it and come out on top eventually. And I still remember that after our normal training, we used to train for bowl-outs, which was quite exciting. Everyone used to participate in that bowl-out.

"And we knew at some stage we have to have, we have to play and win that game through bowl-out. And that's exactly what happened when we played a game against Pakistan. And like I said, it was nice to come out on top.”

Talking of the evolution of the tournament as such, having walked the journey himself, Rohit stated that the format had “actually reached to a level where nobody believed”.

“Honestly speaking, when it started, we had no clue about how it's going to make a mark on world cricket. Now that we sit back after playing the first inaugural World Cup, which was in 2007, and we are in 2024 now. 17 years have passed by.

“Every year you see the style of play, how players have evolved playing this format. It is quite exciting and I never thought it would reach this level because when it started, obviously it was a very unknown factor to the world as to what this format will bring to the world. I must say that it has actually reached a level where nobody believed.

“But that's also a lot to do with how the players have, each country and the players have evolved with the game and taken it to the next level.”

Stressing that winning a World Cup is the “most prestigious” thing a player can do in his career, Rohit said that he hoped to make an impact on the future generation of cricketers.

“Look, it's always been the dream to win World Cups. Winning the World Cup is the most prestigious thing that you can ever do. And for me, nothing changes from all the World Cups that I have played. I always wanted to win and I will still keep driving towards that,” he added.

“As a player of the national team, our responsibility is to encourage the next generation to take up the sport and play the sport. So I think that is something that I want to leave behind, leave a mark on the next generation who are going to follow us, the way we play, the way we carry ourselves on the field.

“Those are the things that I'll be really proud of if I can leave something behind on those lines. I think it's mentally, to keep myself calm and enjoy the sport, enjoy each and every bit of it.

“I think it's important that you try and be in the moment, enjoy that present moment, and leave the rest up to the Almighty. Because I think it's important that you keep doing what you're supposed to do and be sincere in your work ethics, be true to the sport. And I think if I can do all of that, that's perfect.”

India will take on Ireland in their opening group encounter in the Men's T20 World Cup in New York on Wednesday, June 5.

ICC
So sad to read this interview and then know that you are not fated to win anything more. As long as Virat Kohli is in your team you will not win anything. The only way you will win is if he decides to leave midway. :devilish:

My current bet is AUstralia as Cummins is just winning everything

It could have been one of the best catches, but Rohit was a bit slow

JJwR7X3.png

He is clearly dejected.

The loss of the WC 2023 final will forever haunt him. His dreams of retiring at the top decimated.

I think this tournament at best will be a consolation prize.

Most sixes in International cricket:

Rohit Sharma - 600* sixes (499 innings)

Chris Gayle - 553 sixes (551 innings)

After the dropped chance he played aggressively but the question remains has he regained his form entirely now or not?

ICC
Who cares how many WCs you played in? Did Ind win a single t20wc after 2007? Dont need his legacy or any nonsense behind? He has none. So many kids are.motivated to play for Ind. And there is no legacy without winning WC period

Who cares how many WCs you played in? Did Ind win a single t20wc after 2007? Dont need his legacy or any nonsense behind? He has none. So many kids are.motivated to play for Ind. And there is no legacy without winning WC period
I’m sure Brian Lara has no legacy either.
Rohit has motivated kids with his bold strokeplay. Just because he’s in the twilight of his career doesn’t mean he has no legacy. He has done more in his career than a lot of other very good players.
You’ll be wiser when you get older. Nothing teaches life like experience.

Rohit is a modern day great LOI opener.

Amazed at people saying he has no legacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same deliveries, but Rohit's footwork was the best against Shaheen now

ByuGZfk.jpg

ntlYy8N.jpg

Same deliveries, but Rohit's footwork was the best against Shaheen now

ByuGZfk.jpg

ntlYy8N.jpg
Yeah, though this picture suggests the opposite of what’s happened. In the old one our beloved plump cherry was committed and pressing on the front foot and then awkwardly tried to get out of the way
Today, he was waiting front foot slightly outside middle-leg and didn’t commit to any movement until Shaheen released the ball

Rohit Sharma has not been at his best against Pakistan, averaging 14.1 in 11 innings which is the lowest for him against any opponent in T20Is.

1717956292115.png

Rohit Sharma has been dismissed by Left arm pacers regularly in T20WC

Rohit Sharma vs LAP in T20WC

20 inns, 137 runs, 9 outs, 15.2 avg, 115 SR

He is finished. He was finished in T20's over 2 years ago. But like all Indian Greats, they still think they are the Alpha and better than everyone. They simply don't know when to retire.

Rohit Sharma has been dismissed for Left arm pacer for the 24th time in T20Is

Most dismissals against left arm pace in T20Is

24 - Rohit Sharma
23 - Paul Stirling
19 - Finn Allen

Rohit Sharma has been dismissed for Left arm pacer for the 24th time in T20Is

Most dismissals against left arm pace in T20Is

24 - Rohit Sharma
23 - Paul Stirling
19 - Finn Allen
His time is over now.... he should better take retirement and concentrate only on IPL

Isn't Rohit playing since 2007 World T20? I believe he played in every single World T20 since its inception.

He is finished now naturally. Old man now.

Unlike Kohli, Root was poor in T20 World Cup 2022 and 2021. Hence, he deserves more criticism.

Despite his poor fitness with that paratha belly Rohit is still much better then anything Pak has. Although this could be his last major ICC tournament on his day he is fully capable of still turning it on. He will retire gracefully with dignity whenever he feels it is the right time. Unlike our players he won't retire then come out of retirement ten times.

His quickfire 20-30 runs will always be valuable for India in this World Cup. He is nearing the end now, and looking at his fitness i dont think he can turn things around. He's no Kohli fitness wise.

Every team has a left arm seamer waiting for him. Whom will he score against?

Thing is... he is undroppable this world cup. So all Indian fans should come together and pray that he and Kohli either score big & quick or get out early.

Rohit Sharma in ICC T20 World Cup 2024

52(39) retired hurt
13(12) dismissed by Shaheen
3(6) dismissed by Netravalkar
8(13) dismissed by Farooqi
23(12) dismissed by Shakib

Each dismissal is against a left arm bowler

While Rohit and Kohli are world class, I wonder if including younger players in top form might have provided a different kind of spark. Some youngsters have been performing exceptionally well recently. Looking ahead, nurturing young talent is crucial for India's cricketing future. Perhaps a blend of experience and fresh energy could be the winning formula. The 2007 T20 WC strategy of promoting young talent was certainly successful. Open communication and a well-defined selection process are key in such situations.

After a dozen of failures, he is finally back in form. Hit an half century against Australia with a strike rate of 242.2

IMG-20240624-WA0025.jpg

I am so happy for Rohit. One of my two all time fev India players along with MS.

I was so confused in 2023 WC final lol, in one hand wanted Rohit to have a world cup as he missed out in 2011 and in other hand I wanted Aus to win as I was tired of seeing the hosts win since 2011

Indian cricket captain Rohit Sharma has set a new milestone by becoming the highest run-scorer in T20 Internationals (T20Is), surpassing Pakistan's Babar Azam.

This achievement came during the T20 World Cup 2024 Super 8 match against Australia at the Daren Sammy National Cricket Ground on Monday.

Sharma now has 4,165 runs in 149 T20I innings, boasting an impressive strike rate of 140.64 and an average of 32.10. He overtook Babar Azam, who had previously held the record with 4,145 runs in 116 innings, with an average of 41.03 and a strike rate of 129.08.

Top T20I Run-Scorers:

1. Rohit Sharma — 4,165 runs in 149 innings
2. Babar Azam — 4,145 runs in 116 innings
3. Virat Kohli — 4,103 runs in 115 innings
4. Paul Stirling — 3,601 runs in 144 innings
5. Martin Guptill — 3,531 runs in 118 innings

I made peace with myself any runs from Rohit in this world cup is a bonus given the history. So that was a pleasant surprise. One of those freak knocks he plays from time to time. Glad it happened against Australia.

Rohit Sharma who holds the record for most sixes in T20I cricket, extended his lead and became the first batter to cross the 200-sixes landmark.

He now leads the list with 203 sixes, followed by New Zealand’s Martin Guptill with 173 sixes.

Batters with most sixes in men’s T20Is

Rohit Sharma – 203 in 150 innings
Martin Guptill – 173 in 118 innings
Jos Buttler – 137 in 113 innings
Glenn Maxwell – 133 in 103 innings
Nicholas Pooran – 132 in in 87 innings

Even with all his achievement, I feel he has underachieved. He had massive talent. I know this word talent is used to loosely in cricket but Rohit had serious talent. He has so much time against fast bowlers that it’s unbelievable. A shame that he couldn’t perform well in Tests. I saw him first time in 2009 T20 WC warmup match against Pakistan. He scored 80 something and I was like who the heck is this guy? Looked so pleasing to the eye but then he couldn’t perform well for many years until he was brought back in as an opener.

On topic - think that dead rubber match against Australia was an exception. I don’t believe he can play an innings like that or anything closer to it in semis or/and in finals. That innings was an innings without pressure where he didn’t care whatever happened. It would be hard for him to repeat that performance in any of next two matches.

Am pleasantly surprised by Rohit's innings. It was as good as yuvis in 2007 sf or Kohli's 2016 knock.Just hoping kohli and jadeja can pick up for god sake

I think rohit has achieved everything as a batter. The only thing missing in his cabinet is a world cup trophy and this T20 world cup could end this drought.

I think rohit has achieved everything as a batter. The only thing missing in his cabinet is a world cup trophy and this T20 world cup could end this drought.
He will retire with zero ICC trophies. Not his fault though, he is unable to make his batsmen bat like him.

Even with all his achievement, I feel he has underachieved. He had massive talent. I know this word talent is used to loosely in cricket but Rohit had serious talent. He has so much time against fast bowlers that it’s unbelievable. A shame that he couldn’t perform well in Tests. I saw him first time in 2009 T20 WC warmup match against Pakistan. He scored 80 something and I was like who the heck is this guy? Looked so pleasing to the eye but then he couldn’t perform well for many years until he was brought back in as an opener.

On topic - think that dead rubber match against Australia was an exception. I don’t believe he can play an innings like that or anything closer to it in semis or/and in finals. That innings was an innings without pressure where he didn’t care whatever happened. It would be hard for him to repeat that performance in any of next two matches.
That's not true at all in the WC 2023, these were his scores in Semi's and finals. Against NZ 47 of 29 balls at a SR of 162 and in the finals 47 of 31 at a SR of 152. He has batted the same way irrespective of the opposition or the occasion and I don't see him playing any differently in this WC knockouts as well. He may get out in a bid to score quick runs but he is never going to plod around for a run a ball inning like he did in 2022 WC.

Rohit already has a T20 WC. He scored 30 odd in the 2007 T20 WC final.

That's not true at all in the WC 2023, these were his scores in Semi's and finals. Against NZ 47 of 29 balls at a SR of 162 and in the finals 47 of 31 at a SR of 152. He has batted the same way irrespective of the opposition or the occasion and I don't see him playing any differently in this WC knockouts as well. He may get out in a bid to score quick runs but he is never going to plod around for a run a ball inning like he did in 2022 WC.
I’m not saying he hasn’t done in the past but I think he’s not the same player he was 9-10 months ago.

Former Australian wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist heaped praises on Rohit Sharma for his fearless and aggressive approach. In an interaction with a sports media outlet:

"That's right. He is making those statements off the field. This is how we play. And on the field, it's inspiration stuff, it's great entertainment. And question marks around his T20 impact - all the IPL stats and all that -- that's just again a reinforcement of the value of his leadership and the value of a team that is inspired by him. It was a really good stroke selection, knowing where to go to put the bowler off."

"We often hear leaders say, it's not about the results, it's about the process. He has stated what the process should be -- that is be aggressive at all costs. If you lose your batting partner, no issues, focus on the process -- that is be aggressive. That sort of expertise as a leader and the guidance that he is giving his playing XI, they are going with him."

He has a tendency to crumble under pressure

RohitSharma in ICC knockouts:

8* vs AUS (T20 WC 2007 s/f)
30*(16) vs PAK (T20 WC 2007 final)
33 vs SL (CT 2013 s/f)
9 vs ENG (CT 2013 final)
24 vs SA (T20 WC 2014 s/f)
29 vs SL (T20 WC 2014 final)
137 vs BAN (WC 2015 q/f)
34 vs AUS (WC 2015 s/f)

Back