[PICTURES] Virat Kohli or Rohit Sharma, whom do you rate higher as a batter & captain and why?

Whom do you rate higher as a batter & captain?

• Total voters

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma both have an illustrious cricket careers with many individuals and team accolades. But as a batter and captain whom would you prefer over the order.

While both led to some tournaments Final and Semi-Final, but still there was a hugh gap in their technique and tactics as captain. While one played with a safety first and individualistic approach, the other played with more team centric approach highlighting fearless brand of cricket. So as a cricket fan whom do you would rate higher among these two?
_20240701_164720.JPG_20240701_164657.JPG

Virat in tests. His bowling strategy was awesome.

Rohit in LOIs.

Virat with a better batting plan while captaining Lois would have clinched a couple of trophies. Shastri was a yes man

Kohli as a batter in all formats.
Rohit as captain in LOIs, Kohli as captain in Tests.

However, Rohit is an all time great of the game in white ball himself.

Both captaincy and batting for Rohit. For me he’s the best batsmen in the world in the limited overs formats. Free flowing, aggressive batsman right at the top and calm on the field as a captain.

"Rohit Sharma Is Far Better Batsman Than Virat Kohli": Ex-Pakistan Pacer Sohail Khan weighs in on debate:

“I respect Kohli because he is very big batsman. But as bowler, I feel Rohit Sharma is a far better batsman than him. His technique is superb. He plays the ball very late, like he has all the time in the world,”

“Kohli scores runs based on his fitness. If he scores one run, he is immediately ready for the next. Rohit doesn't do that. He scores one run and doesn't even try for the next. Rohit scores with his bat. Kohli scores with his bat and by running between the wickets. Again, that is a good thing because when you are that fit, you reflects automatically,”

Source: NDTV

This is very simple T20 cricket Rohit has always been better, the other two formats Virat.

"Rohit Sharma Is Far Better Batsman Than Virat Kohli": Ex-Pakistan Pacer Sohail Khan weighs in on debate:

“I respect Kohli because he is very big batsman. But as bowler, I feel Rohit Sharma is a far better batsman than him. His technique is superb. He plays the ball very late, like he has all the time in the world,”

“Kohli scores runs based on his fitness. If he scores one run, he is immediately ready for the next. Rohit doesn't do that. He scores one run and doesn't even try for the next. Rohit scores with his bat. Kohli scores with his bat and by running between the wickets. Again, that is a good thing because when you are that fit, you reflects automatically,”

Source: NDTV
Same guy who said “Kohli hoga Ghar ka Kohli”?

Yep but he removed Kohli too in CWC 2015. Anyways whom do you rate high bro?
Kohli got a 100 that game lol , I hated Rohit from 2008-2013 with a passion but he turned a leaf and I must say I liked him more from 2019-2024.. so can’t really give a straight forward answer as both have had huge impact and were amazing at different times..

They are not similar batsmen and have different abilities..

Kohli as a batter in all formats.
Rohit as captain in LOIs, Kohli as captain in Tests.

However, Rohit is an all time great of the game in white ball himself.
Kohli got a 100 that game lol , I hated Rohit from 2008-2013 with a passion but he turned a leaf and I must say I liked him more from 2019-2024.. so can’t really give a straight forward answer as both have had huge impact and were amazing at different times..

They are not similar batsmen and have different abilities..
Most of indians do become diplomatic here but as an outsider it's easy to pick Rohit of late as he has improved a lot since 2013 turn around by Dhoni

Most of indians do become diplomatic here but as an outsider it's easy to pick Rohit of late as he has improved a lot since 2013 turn around by Dhoni
Not diplomatic but it’s hard to choose.. due to memories Kohli in T20 2012-2016 was a beast unlike anyone for us. The consistency was insane

Yep but he removed Kohli too in CWC 2015. Anyways whom do you rate high bro?
But Kohli was already scored a century . Anyways Kohli is better batsman than Rohit in all formats but Rohit also one of the best batsman in limited over formats.

Kohli is a GOAT .

Kohli was never a good captain in LOI. He is just physically aggressive. Not tactically aggressive. Having said that in LOI even Rohit is just okay. In T20 Rohit is better. BUt in ODI s MSD is better than all. Rohit has an 80% win record in T20 internatinals. That is insane record. Kohli is a great Test captain though wiht minor issues

Kohli was never a good captain in LOI. He is just physically aggressive. Not tactically aggressive. Having said that in LOI even Rohit is just okay. In T20 Rohit is better. BUt in ODI s MSD is better than all. Rohit has an 80% win record in T20 internatinals. That is insane record. Kohli is a great Test captain though wiht minor issues
Rohit MI stint as captain helped him a lot here

Both made immense contributions to Indian cricket. Kohli is a better batsmen and more clutch. Rohit was more exciting as he was unstoppable once set. There is assurance when Kohli is batting. As captains, Kohli.changed the fortunes of the test team. His insistence on fast bowlers meant India started winning overseas tests. Rohit's captaincy changed the approach of limited overs teams. He started showing this in 2023 WC and was rewarded with thr 2024 world cup.

Rohit MI stint as captain helped him a lot here
Yes all the key moments he grabbed in this world cup were striaght out of MI template. The biggest choke he inflicted on CSK in 2019 is a case in point against rampant Shane watson. Bumrah was the main guy even then. Malinga was destroyed by opposition. His 3 overs went for 43 runs. He was running out of ideas defending a paltry total. Once again Bumrah saved him in 19th over finished with 2 for 14 in 4 overs. He trusted Malinga for 20th over. He finished the job.

Yes all the key moments he grabbed in this world cup were striaght out of MI template. The biggest choke he inflicted on CSK in 2019 is a case in point against rampant Shane watson. Bumrah was the main guy even then. Malinga was destroyed by opposition. His 3 overs went for 43 runs. He was running out of ideas defending a paltry total. Once again Bumrah saved him in 19th over finished with 2 for 14 in 4 overs. He trusted Malinga for 20th over. He finished the job.
Kohli's worst ever captaincy decision included not opening with Bumrah against Pakistan in T20 WC 2021, Rohit was a poor indian national captain initially with so much anger against players. He improved visibly last year

Kohli is an all round better batter but Rohit's more destructive. It's very difficult to come close to Rohit's clean hitting.

Opinions about captaincy are very subjective. Yesterday Rohit made a massive blunder sticking with Axar and almost lost the match for India. But these things get forgotten in wins .

Kohli is an all round better batter but Rohit's more destructive. It's very difficult to come close to Rohit's clean hitting.

Opinions about captaincy are very subjective. Yesterday Rohit made a massive blunder sticking with Axar and almost lost the match for India. But these things get forgotten in wins .
Under Kohli Indian batting in Test plummetted. But biggest plus is Fast bowling thrived. India was breathing fire overseas.

Its sharma for me in LOIs. He is a better version of sehwag that would scare me as bowler if I were to bowl against him. Can take the game away within the first few overs or lay an easy platform for the rest to follow.

Its sharma for me in LOIs. He is a better version of sehwag that would scare me as bowler if I were to bowl against him. Can take the game away within the first few overs or lay an easy platform for the rest to follow.
Sehwag had an ego to his batting that both worked for him and against him. Rohit doesn't have that.

Kohli has achieved some remarkable things as test captain that are unprecedented in the history of Indian cricket. When Kohli, took over, India were hometrack bullies that used to get bashed every time they toured SENA. Not only did he make India an even bigger and more invincible force at home, he also made them competitive in SEN̶A (minus the N) and lead them to their maiden test series win in Australia. Which in my opinion is the most significant achievement ever by an Asian test captain.

Kohli easily. As an all format batsman, he is peerless. Scaled the biggest peak around 2017/18 and nobody comes close to the chase master. With regards to captaincy I’d give rohit the edge because he seems to make the players much more comfortable and extract the most out of them.

Kohli was easily one of the best Test captains India had. He brought the fast bowler culture that India is benefiting from now.

Rohit is the better white ball captain.

Rohit in white ball >> Virat as a captain
Rohit in red ball = Virat as captain
Virat in white ball > Rohit as a batsman
Virat in red ball >> Rohit as a batsman.

Rohit in white ball >> Virat as a captain
Rohit in red ball = Virat as captain
Virat in white ball > Rohit as a batsman
Virat in red ball >> Rohit as a batsman.
You missed one thing Rohit>> Virat as batsman in T20s

This one is tough as their both very different.

Test captain = Kohli
Test player = Kohli

Odi captain = Rohit
Odi player= Kohli but In terms of Impact and playing monster innings it's Rohit.

T20 captain= Rohit
T20 player= Kohli from the 2014-2016 era, Currently it's Rohit.

Kohli as a batter in all formats and it’s not even close, anyone who thinks it is doesn’t understand cricket.

For captaincy its Kohli in tests and Rohit in lois

Peaks of Rohit are higher than Kohli.

Hitting a 258 in ODI requires an insane amount of talent.

Rohit is quite underrated as a batsmen.

People often compare Babar to him because Kohli comparisons are absurd.

But people don't realize that Babar is a nobody in front of Rohit; Rohit wipes the floor with Babar and then some.

Even Kohli can't match Rohit peaks.

That tells you all about Rohit as a batsmen.

Naah, Kohli is better as test captain. But Rohit is good also.
Kohli started the dominance but the success he enjoyed was largely the result of some individual brilliance. That is why the Indians also defeated Aussies under Rahane

Peaks of Rohit are higher than Kohli.

Hitting a 258 in ODI requires an insane amount of talent.

Rohit is quite underrated as a batsmen.

People often compare Babar to him because Kohli comparisons are absurd.

But people don't realize that Babar is a nobody in front of Rohit; Rohit wipes the floor with Babar and then some.

Even Kohli can't match Rohit peaks.

That tells you all about Rohit as a batsmen.
Hitman(rohit) vs Stats fraud(babar), Who do you think will win?

Don't know about results but intent wise Kholi is the best Test Captain ever to have played the game.... :akhtar

For white ball i will vote for Rohit sharma as a captain and for Red ball Virat kohli would be my pick!

Kohli the better batsman and Sharma is the better captain.

Any other opinion is objectively inaccurate.

Kohli's budhapa has made the world forget what he was as a batsman pre COVID. There's no contest, Kohli the batsman easily surpasses Rohit in any format.

Rohit will be the captain any day above Virat while Virat will be the batter who I would pick over rohit not because he has broken records and all, but because he was a beast of a player, especially while chasing.

Suresh Raina spoke to a local media outlet and said:

“I request the BCCI to retire jerseys No.18 and No.45. They need to have a special occasion where they keep these jersey numbers in their office. The number 7 is already retired, they should do the same for 18 and 45.”

“Every person who sees the number should get motivated. The numbers 18 and 45 have won India games from so many situations that whichever player comes into the team, they should feel motivated by just looking at these numbers.”

Rohit marginally in lois.

Kohli in tests by a lot. Kohli was brilliant in tests. Cultivated the fast bowling culture. Under him, we started to win some matches in abroad consistently (compared to whitewashed earlier) and gave fight to the last moment. His home record is near immortal losing only 2 matches out of 24.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rohit is one of the top five ODI openers ever while also being quite good in the other two formats. But as a batsman, there is a big gap between him and Kohli in every format.

As far as captaincy goes, Kohli is a comfortably better test captain who (alongside Shastri) made India the best test team in the world and developed the best bowling attack in the world. Rohit is a better captain as far as LOIs go.

TBH, we cannot compare these 2 guys. Both of them are GOATs in their own game. Rohit for me is a better captain and is not far behind virat when it comes to batting.

Kohli as a test captain while Rohit in limited overs.
Pretty much this. Kohli the captain made India a force in test but had very stinky record as far as winning limited over tournaments was considered. It all boiled down to his whimsical selections, bowling changes and sheer bad luck. Rohit on the other hand had the captaincy touch of luck. Winning 5 IPLs is no joke.

It’s Kohli all the way.

Rohit can hit big and has that extra gear to tear down attacks. Kohli is like that Toyota Camry. More reliable:

Most runs in wins in ICC events (white-ball)

3132 - Virat Kohli (65 Innings)
2753 - Rohit Sharma (63 Innings)
2092 - David Warner (50 Innings)
1964 - Mahela Jayawardene (50 Innings)
1902 - Kumara Sangakkara (52 Innings)

I am a huge huge fan of virat but I voted for Rohit because personally I think Rohit is a team guy puts his team before himself. Both are my fav cricketers. They are generational players as per me.

Both will feature in India's ATG ODI XI.

Sachin
Rohit
Kohli
Yuvi
Dhoni
Kapil

That's probably THE most explosive top 6 in all of ODI history.

Virat won 65 out of 95 ODIs he captained in, plus he won 40 out of 68 test matches. But he couldn't win that ICC Trophy for India which Rohit has managed.

Virat when he was made permanent captain got India out of Dhoni's defensive mindset in test matches in SENA countries.

Rohit in white ball has just become a different beast in last 5 yrs.

Till 2019 you would have picked Virat as the far better LOI batter, but Rohit's game has gone to different level. The approach and range of strokes is something else and to reinvent game at that advanced age and with declining fitness levels is unbelievable. His 2023 WC campaign is probably the all time greatest.

The problem is both are different and are the best at their respective fields.

If you were to ask Kohli to open and provide the 9 RR starts that rohit can consistently and just bash the opposition black and blue, Then kohli would get out in most games on the first 10 deliveries and no one would ever call him an atg.

Similarly if you ask rohit to bat at 3 and start chasing or bat through the innings, then rohit would get dismissed 9 out of 10 times.

Just like only kohli could have played that atg knock against Pakistan, only Rohit could have scored 258 in Whiteball cricket.

Both of these batters are = as their the best batsmen in their respective fields, With Rohit being the best opener in his prime in the modern era and kohli being the best no 3 in his prime in the modern era.

However as a captain, all of you are overrating Kohli especially in whiteball, Dhoni covered up kohli till 2019, afterwards, Kohli's horrrifcly poor captaincy was exposed badly in 2021, he looked completly clueless without Dhoni on the field, he also had no clue on how to calm the team.

2021 India didn't even seem interested in competing and kohli himself just didn't even care.

Rohit is a 100x better captain then Kohli ever was.

India leg-spinner Amit Mishra has made an astonishing revelation about the difference in personality between Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli, he said:

"Not everyone to be very honest. As a cricketer, I respect him a lot, but I don't share the same equation with him as I used to, Why does Virat have less friends? His and Rohit's natures are different,"

"I haven't been part of the Indian team in years. Still when I meet Rohit during the IPL or any other event, he is always joking with me. I don't need to think what he will think,"

"I have seen Virat change a lot. We had almost stopped talking. When you get fame and power, some people think that others are reaching out to them only for a purpose,"

Virat is a good Test captain, a aggressive one who changed the way India play cricket outside of Asia but a very poor white ball captain. I am yet to see very much of Rohit as a Test captain but we all know he is a brilliant white ball captain. In terms of selections of the XI, Virat was all over the place and we saw him changing the playing XI almost every other game. This never allowed the team to ever settle which caused issues with the 2019 WC as India ended up with a confused XI for the semi-finals. Rohit is the opposite and prefers a settled playing XI which means that we see good performances from the players as they are not worried about being dropped. Even though Virat was a brilliant aggressive leader, he was a poor man manager. I would still take him as a Test captain unless Rohit proves me wrong this year when India are scheduled to play quite a few games.

I rate Rohit higher in white ball especially. Record speaks for itself.

Both will feature in India's ATG ODI XI.

Sachin
Rohit
Kohli
Yuvi
Dhoni
Kapil

That's probably THE most explosive top 6 in all of ODI history.
Lol, Sehwag not finding a place in an explosive batting line up from India. Some would say thats a crime :p

The Mickey Mouse T20 World Cup changes nothing for me. I would take Kohli's Test exploits over this Rohit's T20 world cup anyday. Kohli the Test captain transformed India. Kohli, Shastri and Bharat Arun era is still the peak Indian team for me.

Virat Kohli is a wooden, boring batsman and person, both.

Virat Kohli is a wooden, boring batsman and person, both.
That's a bit harsh. I would say Kohli is similar to Kobe Bryant in terms of focus on the game and strive for individual excellence and being outright aggressive. Rohit is more like Lebron James.

"They Are Irreplaceable": Ex-India Captain's Blockbuster Praise For Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli

Former World Cup winning captain Kapil Dev has said veteran duo Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma are "irreplaceable" in the Indian team across formats and called them "as same as Sachin Tendulkar and MS Dhoni". Kohli announced retirement from T20Is after delivering a match-winning knock of 76 in India's thirlling win in the T20 World Cup final against South Africa. Later, in the press conference, Rohit too called quits to his T20I career. Kohli's T20 journey began in June 2010. Over 14 years, he featured in 125 T20Is, amassing 4188 runs, which included one century and 38 half-centuries.

"No one can take Virat and Rohit's place in the Indian team in any format. They have been a huge servant of Indian cricket and it was a happy farewell for them. The stature that Virat has made of himself in all formats, he will surely be missed in T20Is. Both are as same as Sachin Tendulkar and MS Dhoni. They are irreplaceable," said Kapil Dev, who is also a president of the PGTI, to IANS on the sidelines of Trinity Golf Championship League second edition curtain raiser event.

Kohli's relentless dedication and passion for the game made him the second-highest run-getter in T20Is, just Rohit, who's retirement marks the end of an illustrious T20I career during which he became the format's highest scorer, amassing 4231 runs in 159 matches.

Rohit also holds the record for the most centuries in T20 internationals, with five to his name. His T20I journey began with the inaugural T20 World Cup in 2007, where he was a key player in India's first title win. And, as captain, he has led India to their second title, further cementing his legacy.

Their both at the top of their games.

Kohli is india's vest chaser while hitman is India's X factor.

These too set the standard extremely high, it will be very very difficult to find someone who can replace rohit as the X factor. I can only think of Abisheikh sharma but even then rohit's bar is so absurdly high cough 258 cough.

As for kohli, Mighty mighty task to replace him as a chaser

In his first press conference as the newly appointed head coach of the Indian men's cricket team, Gautam Gambhir while addressing the media:

"Both of them have a lot of cricket. Hopefully, if they can continue their fitness, 2027 World Cup isn’t far. Can’t say how much cricket Virat and Rohit have left in them, it’s the team that matters."

We have been lucky to have them both dominate the last one and a half decade in while ball cricket. Two of the best. Both match winners of the highest calibre.

Former India fast bowler Ashish Nehra opened up on the possibility of Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli playing until the ICC ODI World Cup 2027, while speaking to a local channel:

“It involves both physical and mental aspects. It depends on your passion and motivation and in these aspects, there is no dearth at all when it comes to Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma. It's because of their drive that they have reached where they are today. From here, young guns like Shubman Gill, Yashasvi Jaiswal and Sai Sudharsan will keep making runs and push you. For that, you need to keep raising your bar. Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma have done that and shown.”

“It involves both physical and mental aspects. It depends on your passion and motivation and in these aspects, there is no dearth at all when it comes to Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma. It's because of their drive that they have reached where they are today. From here, young guns like Shubman Gill, Yashasvi Jaiswal and Sai Sudharsan will keep making runs and push you. For that, you need to keep raising your bar. Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma have done that and shown.”

Jasprit Bumrah hails leadership of veteran Indian players

Jasprit Bumrah showered praise on Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli for their leadership qualities.

Bumrah hailed Rohit Sharma for the way he has led the Indian team in the last couple of years, where the team reached the final of the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2023 and won the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2024.

The speedster, however, hilariously picked himself as his favourite Indian captain.

"My favourite captain is me because I have captained a few games. Obviously, there are great captains, but I will take my name. I am my favourite captain," Bumrah told The Indian Express.

On a more serious note, he credited Rohit Sharma for his leadership qualities, highlighting his role in the home Test series against England where India were forced to field several newbies.

"In the recent England series, when the youngsters came, Rohit made the atmosphere very comfortable.

"He took extra effort; he will take them out; he will talk to them about the game; he will try and push them to take the responsibility, as the youngsters should think all are equally important; there is no senior or junior," Bumrah said.

Praising Rohit as a bowler's captain, Bumrah mentioned how he helped him in his early days in the Indian Premier League.

"A captain needs to have empathy towards bowlers and Rohit Sharma is one of the few captains who has empathy for bowlers," the fast bowler said.

Playing in the IPL as well, I even used to go and tell Rohit that 'You set the field, I am going to bowl this ball. You set the field, and I trust you whatever you feel is right. You set the field'," Bumrah revealed about his early days at Mumbai Indians.

The seamer also spoke highly of former India skipper Virat Kohli and the fierce energy and passion he brings to the team.

"Virat is energy-driven. He is quite passionate, wears his heart on his sleeves. He pushed us in terms of fitness. He changed the narrative that way.

Even though Virat is not the captain, he is still the leader."

Their era is probably done in all formats. At best 2 more years. On to new era. Can't wait for them to take off.

Don't you think Rohit is still good? He still has the ability to dominate attacks.
His physical fitness is gone. A reason why his new approach works for him. He is going to stretch as much as he can and call it off. He cannot stay for long periods taking quick singles while attacking in LOIs. In Tests it is different where you don't have to test your physical fitness.

His physical fitness is gone. A reason why his new approach works for him. He is going to stretch as much as he can and call it off. He cannot stay for long periods taking quick singles while attacking in LOIs. In Tests it is different where you don't have to test your physical fitness.
The problem I believe would be reflexes. He is 37, and it's not going to get better with time. Even the great SRT and Viv had their reflexes waned after 37/38 years of age.​

As per reports:

The upcoming Duleep Trophy is expected to feature the superstars of Indian cricket including captain Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli with the selectors wanting all Test players available for the domestic tourney ahead of the upcoming home series against Bangladesh.

Besides Rohit and Kohli, the likes of Shubman Gill, KL Rahul, Ravindra Jadeja, Yashasvi Jaiswal, Suryakumar Yadav, Kuldeep Yadav and Axar Patel have also been asked to play in the competition.

Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli are India's most experienced batters currently but the duo often failed to stitch good partnerships lately

Is this something to worry for India ahead of the Australia tour and Champions trophy?

1hq43za.jpg

Honestly Virat was also a good captain but luck didn't support him in getting the best results for his team. Otherwise his decision making abilities were spot on.

Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli are India's most experienced batters currently but the duo often failed to stitch good partnerships lately

Is this something to worry for India ahead of the Australia tour and Champions trophy?

1hq43za.jpg
Old machines never work well together

Back