Report - 1st Test, Day 3 : Pakistan collapse once again to put New Zealand within reach of a win

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
Toss: New Zealand won the toss, Kane Williamson chose to bowl first.

Teams

New Zealand: TWM Latham, JA Raval, KS Williamson (c), LPRL Taylor, HM Nicholls, C de Grandhomme, BJ Watling (wk), TG Southee, TD Astle, N Wagner, TA Boult.

Pakistan: Sami Aslam, Azhar Ali, Babar Azam, Younis Khan, Misbah-ul-Haq (c), Asad Shafiq, Sarfraz Ahmed (wk), Mohammad Amir, Sohail Khan, Yasir Shah, Rahat Ali.

The day began well for Pakistan as Sohail started strongly in the morning session, getting Nicholls LBW in just his 2nd over with a good delivery that straightened a tad. Amir had Raval caught in the slips with an good delivery in the next over as Pakistan quickly dismissed the overnight batsmen. Watling and de Grandhomme got New Zealand into the lead with the latter playing a few shots until he went for one too many, hooking Sohail straight to Rahat at long leg. A good delivery by Rahat had Astle edging to slip in the next over. Southee hit a few boundaries to hurt Pakistan but Rahat struck to dismiss Watling with a good length delivery that the wicket keeper edged to slip. Southee was caught behind off behind Amir while Rahat finished off the innings as Wagner hooked one to the man in the deep as New Zealand ended on 200 all out, a lead of 67. Pakistan played out six overs before Lunch safely.

The Pakistan batsmen were circumspect after the break with the ball still moving around quite a bit. Just when it seemed that the openers had weathered the storm, Sami was dismissed as he poked at a delivery from de Grandhomme and was caught behind. Babar Azam came in with positive intent, looking to make up for the slow scoring rate as he played a few shots but Azhar struggled to score at the other end, going through long periods without runs. The batsmen slowly but surely got closer towards the deficit of 67 though only 44 runs were scored in the 2nd session, Pakistan going to Tea at 50/1.

Wagner came on to bowl his usual short pitched deliveries as Pakistan continued to score slowly. His approach eventually paid off as Babar gloved a short ball down the leg-side after making 29. A couple of overs later, he had Younis as well with an excellent bouncer which the veteran failed to handle, getting caught behind. Misbah and Azhar settled down though runs were hard to come by. With the partnership slowly building, Misbah gave it away as he went for a hook against Southee after leaving alone a number of short deliveries - top edging straight to Boult at long leg. A few balls later, Boult ended Azhar's vigil too. The batsmen, stuck in a blocking mode when for a drive without conviction, ending up edging it on to his stumps after a hard fought 173 balls for just 31 runs. Pakistan faded late in the day as a brilliant delivery by Boult had Sarfraz bowled before Amir also perished, caught at gully. Sohail struck a few late blows as Pakistan finished at 129/7, a lead of just 62 runs.

Summary: A familiar story for Pakistan. The bowlers were excellent in the morning session, bringing the tourists back into the game with New Zealand limited to a 67-run lead. At Tea, Pakistan looked to be decently placed, just 17 behind with only a wicket down but all the good work was undone in the last session. With the sun out and swing seemingly gone, it looked like the ideal time for Pakistan to come back into the match - but it was not to be. Wagner bowled an excellent spell as he usually has been doing lately, with Pakistan struggling against the bouncers. Azhar failed to get out of his earlier state of mind, going on to block almost everything and going nowhere while Misbah, not for the first time in recent times, threw it away. It was a procession after that as the New Zealand bowlers took advantage of Pakistan's mindset as the batsmen collapsed. The match is almost gone now - it will take Pakistan a miracle to win this from here.

Fall of wickets:

4-105 (Nicholls, 38.2 ov)
5-109 (Raval, 39.3 ov)
6-146 (de Grandhomme, 48.6 ov)
7-146 (Astle, 49.5 ov)
8-171 (Watling, 53.6 ov)
9-177 (Southee, 56.5 ov)
10-200 (Wagner, 59.5 ov)

1-21 (Sami Aslam, 17.6 ov)
2-58 (Babar Azam, 40.5 ov)
3-64 (Younis Khan, 44.3 ov)
4-93 (Misbah-ul-Haq, 57.6 ov)
5-93 (Azhar Ali, 58.3 ov)
6-95 (Sarfraz Ahmed, 60.2 ov)
7-105 (Mohammad Amir, 62.2 ov)

Sohail khan to become the first man in the history of the game to score 401*

Shot selection abominable. But constant failure of middle order and Sarfraz's non input is very worrying.

We do not have a backstop or anyone to carry out a rearguard action

It is just terrible to see us batting most off the time. Pitch may have been a bit difficult but no way should we be in this position. Either our batsmen were just blocking or getting out, there was little attempt in trying to score any runs at all. New Zealand for their part bowled well.

I think lack of practice in these conditions did it for Pakistan. It seemed like they didn't understand how the pitch is behaving in second innings and went into a shell. Poor batting by Aslam and Azhar in the beginning, not sure what the plan was, then babar, younis and misbah gifted their wickets.

Can Pakistan try Sharjeel khan in the next match? on a track like this one he can be brutal.

Misbah looks to be the only Pakistan batsmen in form, thats why his dismissal was crucial for NZ.
He should of just left the short balls alone.
Asad looks like a tailender, what happened to him?
I like a horses for courses aproach, and think Misbah should bat number 3 the next test and tuk tuk the new ball while the other batters play aggresivly

No matter what the track, any decent batsman worth his salt can try to rotate the strike, this has been a problem for Pakistan for a long long time.

Our batters are just functional but not great, examples would be Azhar and Midbah and now Sami.

But Younus, Babar, Asad and Sarfaraz are capable but today they all failed unfortunately.

Worse part is, this is our best XI (apart from maybe Wahab).

You can argue that Misbah/YK don't belong but their replacement, whether it is Fawad/Haris/Akmal/Amin/Salahuddin will not set the world alight from day 1. Even Babar, our best talent in recent times, has failed to deliver both innings.

Was excited for the next 2 overseas tours but if were going to bat like this the excitement will wear off. Need a big partnership from Asad and Sohail.

Not too confident about our chances

What do you think would be a minimum score that Pakistani bowlers would feel they can defend?

150?

Once again, AWFUL batting.

Block, block, block, block and then give it away. If you have no intention of scoring the opposition doesn't need to do anything unusual to set the field, and can cotinue to form pressure. The openers are the worst too. Nothing to show they learnt anything from their last 3/4 outings.

NZ will get these runs with ease and deserve it too.

Last edited:
[MENTION=134473]Haroon786[/MENTION] this is very worrying.
Look, Pakistan could go on and win this game.
But that's besides the point.
To be bounced out by an attack that isn't as quick as the SA/Aus seamers is disconcerting, on surfaces that aren't as quick as the conditions in SA and Australia either.
That doesn't inspire me to believe this team can go in those conditions and win.
But time will tell, good luck to team Pakistan.

What's wrong with Misbah?The guy has lost all his tricks. Should be the last tour the Australia one.

Is the wicket the usual NZ wicket (greentop for one day and patta thereafter) or is it consistently seaming around?

Nothing wrong with the wicket we don't have the passion and patience to score they are all eager to go home like Imran khan in politics

It's not over yet. If Sohail slogs and Shafiq lasts to take the lead to 150, then it could be an interesting game.

Is the wicket the usual NZ wicket (greentop for one day and patta thereafter) or is it consistently seaming around?

It's still green

The ball here had more shine and was in better condition after 60 overs than the ball usually is in UAE after 15 overs lol

It's still green

The ball here had more shine and was in better condition after 60 overs than the ball usually is in UAE after 15 overs lol

Interesting. Usually the grass gets baked in the sun and becomes a road from day 2 onwards in New Zealand, sometimes even after tea on the first day. Probably the overhead conditions and cool and rainy winter is preventing the grass from getting dried up..

If Pakistan can crawl towards 150, I feel they have a chance, because NZ crumbles under pressure and Kane is out of form.

55-45 in favour of Pak. I believe they can defend even 100 on this track. They have some great bowlers...

Can't expect to defend such low score. Need atleast 175-200 lead

guys we have lost this match but please no knee jerk reactions yet. In England, we had adequate preparation. We had a fitness camp and then a month in England to prepare, acclimatize and we had warm up/practice games too. Our only warm up game schedule for this tour was a wash out and then the earthquake may have distracted our players too. We are a very good test team and I fully expect us to bounce back!

Another pathetic display by the batsmen.

The bowlers did so well yesterday, were very disciplined and followed the game plan to perfection.

Interesting. Usually the grass gets baked in the sun and becomes a road from day 2 onwards in New Zealand, sometimes even after tea on the first day. Probably the overhead conditions and cool and rainy winter is preventing the grass from getting dried up..
It isn't, it's good for batting now.

Overhead conditions made it difficult for about 2 sessions today, but Pakistan were just horrible once the sun came out and the ball lost its shine. They never looked to score runs and are in the position they are in now because of that poor mindset.

Overhead conditions made it difficult for about 2 sessions today, but Pakistan were just horrible once the sun came out and the ball lost its shine. They never looked to score runs and are in the position they are in now because of that poor mindset.

The balls bowled to Azhar and Sarfraz were just way too good. Pitch still has it imo

In conditions like this you have to make hay while you can as there will be a ball with your name on it. Its fine to blunt the new ball and be cautious initially, but we just went into a shell.

An embarrassing performance. Big response needed in Hamilton.

In conditions like this you have to make hay while you can as there will be a ball with your name on it. Its fine to blunt the new ball and be cautious initially, but we just went into a shell.

Yep. We were awful. Hamilton if we can't win there 5-0 is likely.

Again, it had little to do with conditions. Pakistan got themselves into a hole and threw their wickets away. The only delivery which did anything was the Sarfraz wicket.

The balls bowled to Azhar and Sarfraz were just way too good. Pitch still has it imo
The Sarfraz ball was a good one, but the one Azhar was dismissed to was a half volley which Azhar botched because he hadn't played a drive in 5 hours..

Last edited:
Azhar Ali is match ka mujrim for me. Scoring 30 odd runs after nearly 200 deliveries is unacceptable. Is he an opening batsman or night watchman??

Don't take this defeat to heart guys. Your warm up was washed out and the conditions were perfect for NZ trundlers. Even NZ couldn't score more than 200 despite lack of scoreboard pressure. You will get a flatter wicket in hamilton and the ball won't swing as much either.

Azhar, Babar, Asad, Sami and Misbah... no excuses for the next match. They have gotten used to the conditions and now they need to pick up their strike rates in Hamilton. YK on the other hand... :facepalm:

Can't expect the bowlers to keep bailing the team out. There was a lack of intention from the batsmen where no one really tried to score any runs. Many wickets were just thrown away. Mug's and cup's must fly in the dressing room after such a lacklustre batting display against a very average side. Alex Ferguson's "hair dryer" treatment is required here. No excuses other then simply not good enough. I am enraged:97:

Can understand the need to play out the new ball for the first twenty overs. Azhar Ali just stands there blocking every ball for four hours with no intention of scoring any runs at all, what's that all about?? He must be one of our most negative batsman ever, someone needs to have a serious word with him. Misbah seemed to forget that it's a Test not one dayer.

Don't take this defeat to heart guys. Your warm up was washed out and the conditions were perfect for NZ trundlers. Even NZ couldn't score more than 200 despite lack of scoreboard pressure. You will get a flatter wicket in hamilton and the ball won't swing as much either.

one would have thought you would feel a bit chagrinned using that term after this match and the saf aus series.

Yeah that's what you usually expect from NZ tracks - difficult to bat on day 1 but then a road thereafter. I saw the pitch picture before the match, haven't seen a ball of the match though. Was expecting a collapse on day 1 from whichever team that batted first on it. But I wasn't expecting a collapse from NZ from a relative position of strength at 100 odd for 3 wickets. And I certainly didn't expect Pakistan to collapse again in the 2nd innings, thought they would make a big score and run away with the match.

The way Azhar and Misbah batted was very poor. Irrespective of the wicket, you simply don't bat at 1.6 or 1.7 an over unless you're trying to save a match. You have to punish the bad balls regardless of the pitch but Azhar especially handed back the momentum to NZ after good work from the Pak bowlers. It's NZ match to lose now.

I hate pitches like these. In this day and age where majority of the players aren't quipped and skilled enough to play on these green tracks, what's the point of making such wickets where even scoring 150 is a struggle. I'm not saying make phattas where it's easy to score 500-600 but at least make pitches where getting to at least 280-300 is possible. This pitch is a disgrace against humanity.

I hate pitches like these. In this day and age where majority of the players aren't quipped and skilled enough to play on these green tracks, what's the point of making such wickets where even scoring 150 is a struggle. I'm not saying make phattas where it's easy to score 500-600 but at least make pitches where getting to at least 280-300 is possible. This pitch is a disgrace against humanity.

The pitch is fine. NZ have a very weak batting line-up and they managed 200, 250-300 is certainly possible here. Barring the openers blunting the new ball, our efforts with the bat have been pretty ridiculous. A few of them have been good deliveries but mostly we've playing stupid shots and/or dug ourselves into a hole.

The pitch is fine. NZ have a very weak batting line-up and they managed 200, 250-300 is certainly possible here. Barring the openers blunting the new ball, our efforts with the bat have been pretty ridiculous. A few of them have been good deliveries but mostly we've playing stupid shots and/or dug ourselves into a hole.

Yeah tbh our batting has indeed been poor. I am very disappointed with our performance in this match and I honestly don't see us saving this match or winning the next one.

All teams have collapses, but for us, they far too often and almost Total. No way we will put the other sides in some sort of a pressure situation. Our bowlers are fine, but they are under pressure from the ball one that they bowl. We .... us .... the fans, are mostly responsible for making them ATGs after one or two good performances. Sooo .... take your pick, we either call them out for exactly what they are or thump our chest at mediocrity !!!!

Azhar Ali shahab played 173 balls and scored just 31 runs. If hadn't been a timid night watchman and scored at a SR of 40-50 which is the norm in test cricket we would have been in a much better position.

Azhar Ali shahab played 173 balls and scored just 31 runs. If hadn't been a timid night watchman and scored at a SR of 40-50 which is the norm in test cricket we would have been in a much better position.

I didn't mind batting in that manner first up but there was no reason to continue doing so after Tea. He dug himself into a hole.

We have played completely opposite to what common sense dictates.

In the first session on Day 2, we went for extravagant drives when the ball was hooping around.

To make up for that, we decided to dead bat everything after Tea on Day 3, even though the sun was out and the swing gone.

Hopefully they learn from this.

[MENTION=134473]Haroon786[/MENTION] this is very worrying.
Look, Pakistan could go on and win this game.
But that's besides the point.
To be bounced out by an attack that isn't as quick as the SA/Aus seamers is disconcerting, on surfaces that aren't as quick as the conditions in SA and Australia either.
That doesn't inspire me to believe this team can go in those conditions and win.
But time will tell, good luck to team Pakistan.

Look, I will reiterate in what context I had said my previous remarks about Pakistan's prospects (I did not say they will win) in Australia. They had just won the final test of the England series, after overcoming two big losses to England, on the wicket with the most bounce in the series and that victory resulted in Pakistan climbing to the top of the Test rankings and also being the first Asian team to win 2 Tests in England in many years. From that regard, I said Pakistan would compete well in Australia because of the flatter pitches seen there over the last few years because Pakistan had done well in England when there was not much lateral movement and the pitches were true. I hadn't fantasised certain conclusions that Pakistan would definitely win in Australia, they had a chance then and still have a chance now but in light of the way the batting has performed, perhaps they need more practice on these types of wickets and certainly unless the wicket is flat YK shouldn't be playing at all.

They can still compete by not playing the short ball, I said this in another thread too - if you're not good at playing a shot then you shouldn't be playing it. I think they will lose the series despite Australia being at their weakest since 2010-11 but winning one Test is certainly not out of the question, especially if the batsmen manage to adjust to the conditions in whatever time they have before the series. Indeed, good luck to team Pakistan.

I didn't mind batting in that manner first up but there was no reason to continue doing so after Tea. He dug himself into a hole.

We have played completely opposite to what common sense dictates.

In the first session on Day 2, we went for extravagant drives when the ball was hooping around.

To make up for that, we decided to dead bat everything after Tea on Day 3, even though the sun was out and the swing gone.

Hopefully they learn from this.

So the swing was gone for a little while? Isn't that when Wagner bounced us out? I didn't watch the session live because of time difference. It seemed to me that it was tough throughout the day to bat.

Where do Pakistan go from here? They definitely need to take advantage of loose deliveries. Good defence, which they seem to have is definitely a big plus, but they need to find scoring options. Also, we are TERRIBLE against the short ball, as shown against WI and now Wagner. Does not bode well for Australia, where they will face yorker, bouncer threat from Mitchell Starc.

Makes for exciting test cricket if you enjoy watching fast bowlers bowl well. Of course there are other skills as well, but good quality swing bowling is definitely one of the best sights in cricket.

So the swing was gone for a little while? Isn't that when Wagner bounced us out? I didn't watch the session live because of time difference. It seemed to me that it was tough throughout the day to bat.

Where do Pakistan go from here? They definitely need to take advantage of loose deliveries. Good defence, which they seem to have is definitely a big plus, but they need to find scoring options. Also, we are TERRIBLE against the short ball, as shown against WI and now Wagner. Does not bode well for Australia, where they will face yorker, bouncer threat from Mitchell Starc.

Yes, Wagner bowled a fantastic spell. However, the lack of intent was still there for a lot of time specially from Azhar, even against the other bowlers. He was completely in a defensive frame of mind and thus when he got a half-volley, his feet weren't really moving very positively and he ended up playing it onto his stumps.

I don't think Starc is as good a bowler of short-pitched bowling as Wagner is, though. Wagner is probably the best in the world. His line when bowling short is brilliant, almost always right at the batsman. Though Starc will be more of a threat in other ways.

Err.. What happened to the fair battle between bat and ball? The one sentiment which keeps echoing here all the time..

Look, I will reiterate in what context I had said my previous remarks about Pakistan's prospects (I did not say they will win) in Australia. They had just won the final test of the England series, after overcoming two big losses to England, on the wicket with the most bounce in the series and that victory resulted in Pakistan climbing to the top of the Test rankings and also being the first Asian team to win 2 Tests in England in many years. From that regard, I said Pakistan would compete well in Australia because of the flatter pitches seen there over the last few years because Pakistan had done well in England when there was not much lateral movement and the pitches were true. I hadn't fantasised certain conclusions that Pakistan would definitely win in Australia, they had a chance then and still have a chance now but in light of the way the batting has performed, perhaps they need more practice on these types of wickets and certainly unless the wicket is flat YK shouldn't be playing at all.

They can still compete by not playing the short ball, I said this in another thread too - if you're not good at playing a shot then you shouldn't be playing it. I think they will lose the series despite Australia being at their weakest since 2010-11 but winning one Test is certainly not out of the question, especially if the batsmen manage to adjust to the conditions in whatever time they have before the series. Indeed, good luck to team Pakistan.

IIRC you made some strong assertions about defeating SA in SA without AB or Steyn also.
SA just won in Australia with neither.
I still maintain this team is not ready to challenge in those conditions. I argued YK and Misbah struggled when they were younger with better reflexes, that they'd have a hard time at the age of 40+.
It will be worse when these guys retire.

Back