[Report] Babar Azam to bat at number 4 position against Bangladesh in Tests

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
As per reports:

Pakistan star batter Babar Azam will bat at number four in the first Test on home soil against Bangladesh.

Abdullah Shafiq’s batting position as an opener is not under threat, while captain Shan Masood will bat at number three.

Moreover, batter Muhammad Huraira is a strong candidate to make a debut.

Two ICC World Test Championship fixtures will be played between Pakistan and Bangladesh in Rawalpindi and Karachi from August 21 to 25 and August 30 to September 3, respectively.

Since the pitch will be suitable for bowlers in the first Test match against Bangladesh, Pakistan team will, therefore, field three fast bowlers and one spinner.

Will batting at position 4 suit Babar Azam in Tests?

Babar plays the new ball well so its not a good idea to send him that low down the order where he has to face more spin.

He struggles aganinst spin!

Babar plays the new ball well so its not a good idea to send him that low down the order where he has to face more spin.

He always bats at no 4 in test lol, don't see the issue with it.

If anything more test cricket is good for him at no 4, Will help him iron out his issues against spin.

Ultimately in odi he's a no 3 batter, His role is to bat through, Meaning he'll have to play spin in the middle overs for CT 2025.

He's not an opener like rohit where you can justify him getting out once PP ends because rohit alteast exploits the PP well.

Nor can he hide behind the allrounder excuse like shadab and Chacha have been hiding behind.

He always bats at no 4 in test lol, don't see the issue with it.

If anything more test cricket is good for him at no 4, Will help him iron out his issues against spin.

Ultimately in odi he's a no 3 batter, His role is to bat through, Meaning he'll have to play spin in the middle overs for CT 2025.

He's not an opener like rohit where you can justify him getting out once PP ends because rohit alteast exploits the PP well.

Nor can he hide behind the allrounder excuse like shadab and Chacha have been hiding behind.

If Babar can go no.1 in the test batting rankings it will bleed into LOIs. I think its very important the new coaches find his sweet spot and keep him there for 4 years.

Also I have a feeling we are about to unearth a generational talent very soon. Very overdue for one.

If Babar can go no.1 in the test batting rankings it will bleed into LOIs. I think its very important the new coaches find his sweet spot and keep him there for 4 years.

Also I have a feeling we are about to unearth a generational talent very soon. Very overdue for one.
Unearth a generational talent? Who? Hurraira?

I'd rather he bats at 3 and Shan opens.

1. Shan
2. Abdullah/Huraira
3. Babar
4. Ghulam
5. Saud
6. Rizwan

Kamran Ghulam should have been in the team a long time ago and let him bat at 4.

I thing Babar has become stale and is going nowhere statistically or in his career. If i was Babar I would ask to open the batting, no doubt there would be failures but when he gets in he should have the time to go very big. The reality is that our whole cricket is dying a death and we need to get him and the team back. Otherwise it's 5th or 6th for the next decade

I'd rather he bats at 3 and Shan opens.

1. Shan
2. Abdullah/Huraira
3. Babar
4. Ghulam
5. Saud
6. Rizwan

Kamran Ghulam should have been in the team a long time ago and let him bat at 4.
Yes Kamran Ghulam is a better option but he should come to bat after Saud Shakeel

Realistically they need to get KG at 3

Shan has maybe 2 years left in him. KG you can get 5-6 years from him

Babar Azam, Shaheen Shah Afridi and Muhammad Rizwan should be dropped.. get rid of this toxic political core..

No place for power hungry players in the team...

Isn't 4 the regular spot in test for him?

Pakistan should comfortably win, but hopefully, pitches are not highways.

Should not even be in talks of playing against Bangladesh… but he and Pakistan as a whole are so desperate for a win that they need reports brain storming about where to bat him Vs freaking Bangladesh lmao.

Time to stat pad, cut some cakes for a hard fought 50 off 100 on a belter to fool the masses once more…

I think babar was already playing at number 4. Nothing new about it. Number 4 is the position that suits him the most. Abdullah and Huraira to open, Shan at 3, babar 4, said 5, Rizwan 6 (should be the number he should be playing), Salman 7

Why is this being reported as if it's something new? This culture of hyping up every little insignificant report is why Pakistani players get in their heads. Next thing you know "Reports that Babar is going to use a new Grey-Nicholls bat in the first test"

Best position for him just like the Bannu second XI is best for Rizwan

I would honestly prefer Shan opening and Saud at 3 but is what it is

As long as we have Saifi in the team alongside Saud than a series win is guaranteed

If Babar is at 4, then Rizwan has to bat at no.3 or no.5.

I think babar was already playing at number 4. Nothing new about it. Number 4 is the position that suits him the most. Abdullah and Huraira to open, Shan at 3, babar 4, said 5, Rizwan 6 (should be the number he should be playing), Salman 7
It's too early for Huraira to be tested as an opener. If he couldnt perform so his career could be in danger.

It's better to let him play a few more First Class matches and when he's ready he can be tried in the Pakistan team.

Yeah this is Pakistan's best batting order

Should not even be in talks of playing against Bangladesh… but he and Pakistan as a whole are so desperate for a win that they need reports brain storming about where to bat him Vs freaking Bangladesh lmao.

Time to stat pad, cut some cakes for a hard fought 50 off 100 on a belter to fool the masses once more…
If it was any other format I would agree, but this is test cricket. I don't care if you are playing against Zimbabwe or Ireland, you should always play your best team in test cricket. Especially since we don't get to play 10 tests in just our home season like a team like England does.

Babar has developed a weakness against left arm spin in recent times. Especially on the front foot. He needs to rectify this weakness rather than hide from it. A batter of his caliber should not have these kind of weaknesses that can be so easily exploited.

It's too early for Huraira to be tested as an opener. If he couldnt perform so his career could be in danger.

It's better to let him play a few more First Class matches and when he's ready he can be tried in the Pakistan team.
Can't have this kind of thinking when you have a talented player on your hands. I'm not saying Huraira is the second coming of Bradman. But he has done fairly well in FC cricket. Better to get him in now so he can understand the pressures of test cricket at a young age. It will do wonders for his temperament. And playing at home against Bangladesh is the best place to start.

One of the biggest reasons why I feel Naseem is our most consistent fast-bowler is because he played Test cricket even before he played T20s or ODIs. He was put to the sword and hammered in his early overseas tours but I think they taught him alot and helped him become a better bowler. When you face your hardest challenges at a young age (tours to Australia, England, bowling on Ramiz Raja roads) you become unfazed by most other things.

yeah i know... let him play few more so he will get some experience otherwise he will become another Saim Ayub.
But that does not make sense. Those are more than enough games. In fact, he has just under 40 games (39). Abdullah Shafique has played 30.

Bangla Azam!
LOL. First it was Zimbabar and now Bangla Azam.

What else is left?

Babar needs to get out of his comfort zone TBH. forget these smiles and these children-like stuff that he and his gang do on the field. GO and bat out there and try to do his job what he was supposed to do.

Looks like he grips the ball too hard

You wanna bowl proper spin, you can’t grip the ball like you are hanging on to dear life
Yeah, right.

He might have to bowl some overs as well so better to learn some tricks.

Yeah, right.

He might have to bowl some overs as well so better to learn some tricks.
No, he should not bowl ever.

Next thing you know, Babar gets so desperate to protect shadab and chacha that he himself decides to bowl in odi and on press conference he says

Uhh yes yes abrar is very good good yes yes, but I am a batting allrounder yes yes and you need proper batsmen and not spinners only yes yes.

Looks like he grips the ball too hard

You wanna bowl proper spin, you can’t grip the ball like you are hanging on to dear life

Babar is not trying to spin the ball, he's trying to get Shan right between the eyes; Babar is a softie and I can never imagine him resorting to such violence, except when it concerns him and Rizwan. If Shan is taken out, we will see Dosti Yaari Part 2.

No. 1 Babar (c)
No. 2 Rizwan (wk) (vc)

Last edited by a moderator:
Babar is not trying to spin the ball, he's trying to get Shan right between the eyes; Babar is a softie and I can never imagine him resorting to such violence, except when it concerns him and Rizwan. If Shan is taken out, we will see Dosti Yaari Part 2.

No. 1 Babar (c)
No. 2 Rizwan (wk) (vc)
He’s gripping the ball like the way he is gripping on to his captaincy in white ball formats

Babar Azam is on the cusp of a historic achievement. With 2661 runs in the World Test Championship, he needs just 339 runs to reach the 3000-run mark. This would make him the fastest batter to achieve this milestone, surpassing the likes of Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma. Currently, Rohit leads India's tally with 2552 runs, while Kohli has accumulated 2235 runs in the competition.

Babar Azam can only achieve the towering feat if he successfully accumulates 339 runs in the series against Bangladesh, he will not only achieve the 3000-run milestone but also become the first Pakistani batter to do so in the World Test Championship. This feat would place him alongside Joe Root, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, and Ben Stokes as the only batters to reach this landmark.

Babar Azam is on the cusp of a historic achievement. With 2661 runs in the World Test Championship, he needs just 339 runs to reach the 3000-run mark. This would make him the fastest batter to achieve this milestone, surpassing the likes of Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma. Currently, Rohit leads India's tally with 2552 runs, while Kohli has accumulated 2235 runs in the competition.

Babar Azam can only achieve the towering feat if he successfully accumulates 339 runs in the series against Bangladesh, he will not only achieve the 3000-run milestone but also become the first Pakistani batter to do so in the World Test Championship. This feat would place him alongside Joe Root, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, and Ben Stokes as the only batters to reach this landmark.
Another stat that makes no difference whatsoever to the fate of Pakistan cricket which has been on a downward spiral

The Bangladesh series is the perfect opportunity for him.. we all saw his pathetic performances against Australia in the recent test series...

Stat paddler... pathetic batsmen, toxic power hungry captain...

Babar gone for duck. DOwn the legside again?? Poor stuff from him. SHould have done a better job here.

Most batters show decline in their mid 30's but Babar is long gone already before touching 30

Babar gone for duck. DOwn the legside again?? Poor stuff from him. SHould have done a better job here.
His bat position is not correct, it seems he tried to play the ball too early

XtCSyBO.jpg

It’s nonsense stats like these that will get us nowhere. It’s a desperate cope on behalf of babar and delusional Pakistani fans.

XtCSyBO.jpg
Whose job is it to point this out? The bigger question is, will the KING listen to the advice of average players and coaches sitting in the dugout?

Remember Virat Kohli in England in 2014

That was one series which was an anomaly. Kohli bounced back immediately with a cracking performance in Australia later on.

Babars slump has lasted for two years now.

XtCSyBO.jpg
I told you all and many did not listen. Babar has a poor backfoot, No more West Indian bowlers or phatta wickets to bowl into his pads anymore.

Pakistan batter Babar Azam was dismissed for a duck in the ongoing first Test match against Bangladesh in Rawalpindi, marking his first-ever duck on home soil.

Remember Virat Kohli in England in 2014
Virat has had multiple bad series but not form slumps dueing his prime.

His 2012 pakistan series was poor, his 2014 England series was poor.

However babar has been awful for 2 years in a row. It's not the same as Kohli who had one bad series then just bounced back into his usual Atg self

Back