[Report] Babar Azam to be sacked after ICC World Cup 2023 - Sarfaraz, Shaheen and Rizwan emerge as potential replacements

Who should take over if Babar Azam is no longer ODI Captain of Pakistan?

• Total voters
Sarfraz was rightly dropped from the team as his Captaincy, batting, Keeping all deteriorated. He took his position for granted after CT2017. His behaviour as a captain was aweful, he became rude & arrogant. I remember in one match while fielding he said "Babar kya kar Raha hai beta". Calling your professional colleagues as beta is clearly bullying and that's why I hate this seniority culture.

I have aways been with you whenever you said that Babar & Rizwan should not open in T20s and I also don't like Rizwan's on field antics & dramas and the special treatment he is getting in last 3-4 years but I would be lying if I don't accept that Rizwan with all his limitations is a major upgrade from Sarfraz. I also don't want Rizwan to become captain
remember the tid he had and the yawning he was doing?

I think Afridi was very blunt on his face when he said that why do players concentrate on fitness when they get thrown out of the team. why not focus on it before

Really funny that people are saying PCB should pick a captain with WC27 in mind. It will be an achievement if whoever is selected lasts a few months. One thing we can be sure about Pakistan cricket is that there will be countless changes and upheavals and for all we know it might be Babar leading us at WC27.

Realistically, Rizwan and Shaheen are the only two contenders and I don't think the latter would be any better than Babar. Shan doesn't deserve international selection let alone be appointed captain (but probably stands the strongest chance). Sarfaraz is on his last legs in international cricket and even if he wasn't he is not even close to being the messiah some people here make him out to be. The last year or two of his captaincy were almost as atrocious as Babar. Only when he was younger, performing well and was fully fit was he a decent choice. Now he doesn't have age or fitness on his side and we have all seen a number of times how he handles pressure. All other candidates mentioned in this thread are either too inexperienced or unlikely to even be selected.

Based on continuity and performance the choice is pretty clear for LOIs. For tests its not as easy and probably Shan will get the nod - for all we know he might even get the nod for all formats.

no you did not. instead of wastiing your time and arguing go above and read the post where i said iffti has captained KPK and if he did wel he should be considered.

I qoute the bangladeshi poster cause ifti has played in BPL and is loved by Bangladeshi fans.

Instead of clinging on to my leg like a dog all the time, get something better to do.

Anyone who mentions Canada Premier League as a supporting argument for someone's captaincy credentials at national level should be ridiculed because that's an insult to Pakistan cricket.

The biggest issue for any captain is going to be the australia tour that will be coming. No one has won a series there and in the last many years we havent won a single test there.

Starting you career against Australia is gonna such and will be quite harsh.

Not all good players make good captains. Maybe better Babar just focuses on his batting. But bringing back Safraz to be captain? That’s a mad one. Make Rizwan the captain he seems hyper active.

Why wait till the next WC game? Sack Babar as Captain now - and then se ethe difference in performance!

Sarfraz is probably the only best option to go with at the moment until we can find someone

I'm not sure why there is so much hate for Sarfraz just because of him having one bad year and not reaching the semis in 2019. doesn't look like Babar is reaching semi finals either so they both in par in terms of not reaching semi finals

now lets compare Babar with Sarfraz in the years they have played together against the same opponents

averages

2016 - Babar 59
Sarfaraz 46

2017 - Babar 67
Sarfraz 70

2018 - Babar 36
Sarfraz 24

2019 - Babar 60
Sarfaraz 57

as you see Sarfraz and Babar are similar sort of players in terms with the bat but when it comes to captaincy Sarfraz is miles ahead and is street smart

yes overall Babar has a higher average but lets not forget when cricket came back to Pakistan a lot of teams were not sending their main players so Babar had the opportunity to milk these bowlers and Sarfraz has missed out on that opportunity.

at the same time Sarfraz has gone to domestic and has improved as a player if we look at his recent performances

qaid e azam trophy this season Sarfraz averages 99 with 4 50's and 2 100's out of 7 games

shaheen isnt cooked yet still immature and rizwan isnt smart enough

I’m all for sacking Babar and I understand that captains have to life and die by the results but before Babar is sacked, we have to understand why he should be sacked and what do we hope to achieve with a new captain.

People don’t want to hear this but the biggest problem is not his captaincy but the fact that the players are not good enough. As a cricket nation, Pakistan is hovering in the same league as Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, West indies and Afghanistan and have been for a while notwithstanding the noise our fans make and all the fake hype.

The reality is that we are a deeply mediocre cricket nation and have been for a very long time. We run run our mouths, thump our chests and show eyes but the reality always rears its ugly head.

On true cricketing merit, not a single Pakistani player, including Babar, would even make the World XI B team in ODIs let alone A team. In such circumstances, do you really expect your captain to win you a World Cup?

Another issue with the fans and the media is they are reactionary. If Pakistan win it is good captaincy and if Pakistan loses it is bad captaincy but in the real world, good decisions can lead to bad results and bad decisions can lead to good results.

Everything is viewed in hindsight and every narrative is peddled based on the outcome and not the thought-process behind the decision-making.

For example, everyone is critical about Shadab’s selection in the playing XI. It is a case of “I told you so” because his form was absolute shambles leading into the World Cup and he has continued on that front.

Since Shadab failed the narrative now is that Babar picks his friends and there is no accountability if you are in his good books.

On the flip side, had Shadab performed in this World Cup, the same people would be calling it good leadership because good leaders and good captains back players in difficult times and give them confidence and it was this confidence and backing that allowed Shadab to shine in the World Cup.

We never look at the merits and the logic behind a decision and let the outcome dictate the success/failure of a decision.

The perception of Babar’s captaincy would have been different based on how Shadab performed even though it is not in Babar’s control. Ultimately, the ball has to come out of Shadab’s hand.

Had Shadab succeeded, no one would have had the courage to say that selecting him was the wrong decision even if he performed well because the thought-process behind selecting him, whether he failed or succeeded, was the same.

Pakistan needs to learn to focus on the merits and logic behind decisions and not necessary the results because it is not always in your control.

If you want to sack Babar, please do so based on the belief that he has to be accountable for the bad results regardless of the degree of his responsibility. That is the nature of this job.

However, if you sack Babar because you think someone else can conquer the world with this average bunch and there are players out there who can transform this team, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment and the captaincy musical chairs will continue.
The players aren't good enough, that is evident but that isn't the reason Babar is a bad captain IMO. Babar is a bad captain irrespective of the players.

His decisions are questionable (and questioned openly by the team members he captains), he evidently has no authority (manifesting in dissent) and is weak... recent DRS examples testify. Tactically inept be it bowling changes or field placements; the team is rubbish, granted, but there is no logic, no plans, no visible game awareness. Shaheen being rubbish should not be the reason why Afghanistan are hustling our field and turning 1s in to 2s when we're defending 50 with 8 wickets needed.

On top of that his own form has suffered.

I do not want to see my captain running upto Kohli for his shirt EVER, let alone on the back of a WC pumping in which we collapsed to 190 all out.

He throws his team under the bus at interview, where he looks like he is going to cry (I feel for him though)... and, whilst not mandatory, doesn't speak English - that's not important but it just underlines his lack of suitability for the job.

Even if the team is pants, you cannot publicly throw them under the bus (by name or generalising) in a post-match interview. Lacks tact, tactics, authority, form, pride and results.

That's not a captain no matter how bad the players are. His selections (acknowledged).

I remember in one match while fielding he said "Babar kya kar Raha hai beta". Calling your professional colleagues as beta is clearly bullying and that's why I hate this seniority culture.

Hoooo bhaaiiii. Maro, mujhe maro!

This is your reason why he shouldn’t be captain??!!

I vote for Mo Rizwan as captain and a young vice-captain who needs to be groomed under him, with clear instructions to Mo Rizwan regarding the same. Against teams like Zim/SRL/BD/Afghanistan make the young vice captain play and rest Rizwan.
Have Harris as a backup Wicket keeper.
Bring Saim Ayub in, drop Fakhar and ask Imam to improve his strike rate else push him out.

This is the team for ODIs for 2027 WC in South Africa :

1. Saim.
2. Shafique as VICE Captain for future Captain ship post Rizwan.
3. Babar, find alternative young guy like Tayibb Tahir to play against B/C/D teams/lesser attacks.
4. Imam, can consolidate but he has to improve SR, else kick him out and find someone else.
5. Rizwan, back up is Mo Harris.
6. Pace bowling allrounder ?
7. Good Wrist spinner.
8. Abrar
9. Naseem
10. Shaheen
11. Rauf, if he improves, else Hasnain
Ihsanullah/Dahani groom them as backups and work on their skills.

Build a bench and pool of around 25-30 players for T20Is and ODIs with specific targets. Next WC is in South Africa so one Wrist spinner and On good offie in Squad is enough, but need a quality pace bowling all-rounder. Find one, best would be to have 2, groom them and give them all the confidence and plans.

Sarfraz is probably the only best option to go with at the moment until we can find someone

I'm not sure why there is so much hate for Sarfraz just because of him having one bad year and not reaching the semis in 2019. doesn't look like Babar is reaching semi finals either so they both in par in terms of not reaching semi finals

now lets compare Babar with Sarfraz in the years they have played together against the same opponents

averages

2016 - Babar 59
Sarfaraz 46

2017 - Babar 67
Sarfraz 70

2018 - Babar 36
Sarfraz 24

2019 - Babar 60
Sarfaraz 57

as you see Sarfraz and Babar are similar sort of players in terms with the bat but when it comes to captaincy Sarfraz is miles ahead and is street smart

yes overall Babar has a higher average but lets not forget when cricket came back to Pakistan a lot of teams were not sending their main players so Babar had the opportunity to milk these bowlers and Sarfraz has missed out on that opportunity.

at the same time Sarfraz has gone to domestic and has improved as a player if we look at his recent performances

qaid e azam trophy this season Sarfraz averages 99 with 4 50's and 2 100's out of 7 games

shaheen isnt cooked yet still immature and rizwan isnt smart enough
Where did you got those averages from

Sarfraz's average in all three formats is below 40 so if he was averaging 40+ for 3 out of four years (57 and 70 in 2017 and 2019) then his career average should at minimum be around 40

Where did you got those averages from

Sarfraz's average in all three formats is below 40 so if he was averaging 40+ for 3 out of four years (57 and 70 in 2017 and 2019) then his career average should at minimum be around 40
It's not his full career just the years he played with babar

I vote for Mo Rizwan as captain and a young vice-captain who needs to be groomed under him, with clear instructions to Mo Rizwan regarding the same. Against teams like Zim/SRL/BD/Afghanistan make the young vice captain play and rest Rizwan.
Have Harris as a backup Wicket keeper.
Bring Saim Ayub in, drop Fakhar and ask Imam to improve his strike rate else push him out.

This is the team for ODIs for 2027 WC in South Africa :

1. Saim.
2. Shafique as VICE Captain for future Captain ship post Rizwan.
3. Babar, find alternative young guy like Tayibb Tahir to play against B/C/D teams/lesser attacks.
4. Imam, can consolidate but he has to improve SR, else kick him out and find someone else.
5. Rizwan, back up is Mo Harris.
6. Pace bowling allrounder ?
7. Good Wrist spinner.
8. Abrar
9. Naseem
10. Shaheen
11. Rauf, if he improves, else Hasnain
Ihsanullah/Dahani groom them as backups and work on their skills.

Build a bench and pool of around 25-30 players for T20Is and ODIs with specific targets. Next WC is in South Africa so one Wrist spinner and On good offie in Squad is enough, but need a quality pace bowling all-rounder. Find one, best would be to have 2, groom them and give them all the confidence and plans.
Who is Rizwan supposed to score his runs against it his your vc plays against minnows?

The players aren't good enough, that is evident but that isn't the reason Babar is a bad captain IMO. Babar is a bad captain irrespective of the players.

His decisions are questionable (and questioned openly by the team members he captains), he evidently has no authority (manifesting in dissent) and is weak... recent DRS examples testify. Tactically inept be it bowling changes or field placements; the team is rubbish, granted, but there is no logic, no plans, no visible game awareness. Shaheen being rubbish should not be the reason why Afghanistan are hustling our field and turning 1s in to 2s when we're defending 50 with 8 wickets needed.

On top of that his own form has suffered.

I do not want to see my captain running upto Kohli for his shirt EVER, let alone on the back of a WC pumping in which we collapsed to 190 all out.

He throws his team under the bus at interview, where he looks like he is going to cry (I feel for him though)... and, whilst not mandatory, doesn't speak English - that's not important but it just underlines his lack of suitability for the job.

Even if the team is pants, you cannot publicly throw them under the bus (by name or generalising) in a post-match interview. Lacks tact, tactics, authority, form, pride and results.

That's not a captain no matter how bad the players are. His selections (acknowledged).

Excellent post. Getting rid of Babar as a captain isn't going to magically make Pakistan a high quality team, but they are clearly underperforming due to some absolutely bizarre on-field decision making, and also some really brainless selection policy which I assume he is a big part of.

Who is Rizwan supposed to score his runs against it his your vc plays against minnows?
Well Rizwan looks immediate choice tbh. But can be Shaheen also. Going back to Sarfaraz as a captain would be a backward step. He has done his duties, served Pakistan cricket well, won trophies and is aged 36. Time to build team around a young guy I feel.
Rest, not sure what PCB will decide.

As per a media reports:

There is a clear consensus developing in the Pakistan Cricket Board that Babar has had his chance to prove himself and he has failed to deliver as captain.

Pakistan have four more league games left in the World Cup, having lost their last three including against Afghanistan on Monday. They can still qualify for the semifinals.

"Only if Pakistan can stage a miracle and win all their remaining matches to qualify for the semi-finals of this World Cup does Babar stand any chance of surviving as captain and even then he might be relegated to skipper in just the red ball format,” one reliable source close to the developments said.

The source said that the knives were out for Babar and he might as well announce his resignation as captain if the team returns home without playing in the World Cup semifinals.

“It is over for Babar because he has been given unbridled power and authority as captain and more importantly he has always had players of his choice in the team.

"There has never been any attempt to reduce his authority and so he is now being held solely responsible for the Asia Cup and World Cup defeats,” the source added.

He noted that even for the Asia Cup and World Cup, despite advice from former captains Misbah ul Haq and Muhammad Hafeez to make some changes for the event in India, Babar had got all the 18 players he asked for and chief selector, Inzamam ul Haq had also supported him completely.

“The PCB Chairman, Zaka Ashraf ignored the advice of Misbah and Hafeez and some other former players whom he consulted as Babar was adamant he didn’t want changes in the team for the World Cup,” the source said.

Misbah also confirmed on a television channel that he had advised Babar to include mystery spinner Abrar Ahmed in the World Cup but Babar refused and only agreed to take him as a travelling reserve to India.

The interesting part is that lobbies for the possible candidates including Sarfaraz, Shaheen, Rizwan and Shan Masood have started their work to get their candidate selected as captain with the board now likely to name different captains for the red and white ball formats.

“Sarfaraz might win the nod to captain the Test and ODI sides again while Shaheen may get a chance to be the T20 captain,” the source added. Sarfaraz is currently not part of the World Cup squad.

The source also disclosed that the support staff of Mickey Arthur, Grant Bradburn, Mornie Merkel, Andrew Puttick and manager Rehan ul Haq are also under the scanner and will be asked to step down after the World Cup.

“They are very bright chances that Pakistan will have a new coaching staff and captain when they embark on the Test tour of Australia and for the white ball series in New Zealand after the WC,” the source said.

The source said that the board was also not happy with reports leaking out of some differences and disputes in the dressing room, something that PCB rubbished on Monday.

First and foremost, the man chosen should be in the team on merit. 3 of the guys arent even in the team, a team that is weak and none of those will add anything.

Shaan and Sarfi will be in the late 30s by the next WC, SSA is struggling for form after injury, Riz is not a captain, Shadab has more chance of landing a ball than he does of Captaining PK after his recent performances. Imad bowls gentle inswing and one of the issues has been our awful spinners not spinning the ball.

Well Rizwan looks immediate choice tbh. But can be Shaheen also. Going back to Sarfaraz as a captain would be a backward step. He has done his duties, served Pakistan cricket well, won trophies and is aged 36. Time to build team around a young guy I feel.
Rest, not sure what PCB will decide.
Sarfaraz will probably just be a pit stop captain until they have properly identified whose taking them forward. At the moment you cannot give captaincy to Babar’s agency. It’s the agency that represents Babar, Rizwan, Shaheen and Shadab that is the issue.

Sarfaraz will probably just be a pit stop captain until they have properly identified whose taking them forward. At the moment you cannot give captaincy to Babar’s agency. It’s the agency that represents Babar, Rizwan, Shaheen and Shadab that is the issue.
oh they have the same agency, I was not aware of that. That is a massive conflict of interest. It is a big clique then. No wonder poor Mir was not given a long run. Then this clique needs to be broken. None of them can be captain and I take my recommendation back for Rizwan.
Well then Sarfi is the chosen one. Give him clear goal to mentor the next captain, who also has to be chosen at the same time.
It can work like Dhoni and Kohli/Rohit worked together.

First and foremost, the man chosen should be in the team on merit. 3 of the guys arent even in the team, a team that is weak and none of those will add anything.

Shaan and Sarfi will be in the late 30s by the next WC, SSA is struggling for form after injury, Riz is not a captain, Shadab has more chance of landing a ball than he does of Captaining PK after his recent performances. Imad bowls gentle inswing and one of the issues has been our awful spinners not spinning the ball.
Rizwan has captained in domestic alot. Along with ifti aswell. Both have done the job at sngpl and kpk.

Your opinion on these both?

oh they have the same agency, I was not aware of that. That is a massive conflict of interest. It is a big clique then. No wonder poor Mir was not given a long run. Then this clique needs to be broken. None of them can be captain and I take my recommendation back for Rizwan.
Well then Sarfi is the chosen one. Give him clear goal to mentor the next captain, who also has to be chosen at the same time.
It can work like Dhoni and Kohli/Rohit worked together.
Yeah bro, things are not as simple as it seems with Pakistan cricket.

I appreciate the fact that people want to comment on what they can see on the field. But the issue is that they must try and understand the complexities behind the scenes. If they do, they will start seeing things clearly

None of these choices solve anything tbh.

Rizzu is gonna be babar 2.0 except he'll be even more selfish.

Shaheen needs to improve his bowling considerably. After injury his own performance doesn't merit a place.

Sarfi isn't a long term solution, his time in odi and t20 is done. He's old. He's fine as front choice test.

You might as well keep Babar. You people will never learn
Lol what you got against Rizwan as a captain. He performs consistently (as per Pakistan standards) , he’s a senior, and doesn’t look like a softie either. Looks like someone who the players respect too.

Yeah bro, things are not as simple as it seems with Pakistan cricket.

I appreciate the fact that people want to comment on what they can see on the field. But the issue is that they must try and understand the complexities behind the scenes. If they do, they will start seeing things clearly
agreed. Well need to find some dynamic batters how bat at higher strike rate for Pakistan. This is a very strange phenomenon.
Pakistan batters like Anwar/Afridi/Ijaz were at the forefront of good strike rate. Now the approach is too timid, whereas the pitches are so easy these days.

And rizwan as captain is going to be a lot of drama. The guy scores runs but is too much of a dramatic guy, with all hand wavings and reviews and also every time the ball gets to him

Find it funny that rana has to qoute every person that votes for rizwan

Shaheen too young, fast bowler, already worries over returning to full recovery. It isn’t worth it. Future captain in 5 years maybe.

Sarfraz near end of his career, too old, not regularly playing/good enough to play. Doubts his keeping is good enough now.

Imad which was my pick instead of when babar was first made captain. This one could work, but he’d have to be playing regularly again. He was perfect at no.7, never should have been removed.

Rizwan is the only one who checks the boxes. Not old, performance in multiple formats, great keeper, domestic captaincy experience, no big worries about his place in the team.

Rizwan is the realistic choice. But I wouldn’t mind taking a punt on imad and see what happens.

For me Rizwan is the obvious option.

There is no obvious captain, as most of the Pakistan players who are good enough to be starting regularly are not the brightest sparks. But of the current bunch yes, Rizwan is probably the best of a bad bunch.

Will this discussion continue if Pakistan miraculously qualifies for semi? Isn't it too early to discuss about that? May be they are trying to do reverse jinxing :)

Rizwan is good batsmen no doubt but we keep making the same mistake by selecting best person in the team to be captain.

Captaincy require different set of skills just because someone is a good batsmen or a good bowler doesn't make him a good captain

Rizwan can't get the reviews right imagine him being a strategist and a tactician for a cricket team

Yes, Babar is a horrible captain but why will you replace him with some one like Sarfraz? Sarfraz is close to 40 years old. Get some one younger.

Yaar koi be le aao. Anybody would be better than mr. No.1 Babar Azam. Even a stick would be better than him.

Babar is the worst captain in the history of cricket.

Babar has to go and his friends should be dumped. Shadab imam have to be kicked out.

Yes, Babar is a horrible captain but why will you replace him with some one like Sarfraz? Sarfraz is close to 40 years old. Get some one younger.
Hes just going to be there temporarily untill things are sorted

Rizwan is good batsmen no doubt but we keep making the same mistake by selecting best person in the team to be captain.

Captaincy require different set of skills just because someone is a good batsmen or a good bowler doesn't make him a good captain

Rizwan can't get the reviews right imagine him being a strategist and a tactician for a cricket team

Which is why I said there is no obvious captain in my earlier post. But I can't think of any good captain material out of the first team squad. Who would you say has captaincy skills?

Rizwan Babar mindset are same . So it will likely fail . Rizwan is too soft just like Babar .

Mohammad Rizwan beat the odds to become the greatest opener in the history of Pakistan’s t20 cricket.

He took on the challenge of being a number 4 for ODI’s and has established himself with aplomb.

He tops every run chart imaginable on a scarily consistent basis.

Mohammad Rizwan is a world renowned cricketer who is respected in all cricketing countries in the world.

And he somehow does all that whilst keeping wicket impeccably.

There is no challenge that is insurmountable for one of the greatest cricketers to come out of Pakistan.

Mohammad Rizwan does not need the captaincy. The captaincy needs him.

Which is why I said there is no obvious captain in my earlier post. But I can't think of any good captain material out of the first team squad. Who would you say has captaincy skills?
I'm terms of captaincy unfortunately we don't have even 1 person who is capable of running a cricket team nor have we had anyone in the past.

We are the type of people who just go with flow without keeping future in mind.

I would personally select a youngster who has potential and send him to a class room to learn basic cricket and captaincy skills

Mohammad Rizwan beat the odds to become the greatest opener in the history of Pakistan’s t20 cricket.

He took on the challenge of being a number 4 for ODI’s and has established himself with aplomb.

He tops every run chart imaginable on a scarily consistent basis.

Mohammad Rizwan is a world renowned cricketer who is respected in all cricketing countries in the world.

And he somehow does all that whilst keeping wicket impeccably.

There is no challenge that is insurmountable for one of the greatest cricketers to come out of Pakistan.

Mohammad Rizwan does not need the captaincy. The captaincy needs him.
Nice list bro but where does leadership and captaincy skills come into all this

PCB will be wise enough to stay clear of the Clique of Babar, Rizwan, Shadab, Shaheen. There is just too much familiarity bias in that group. If you appoint anyone as captain among those 4 players, you are risking discord, resentment and Babar will start making accusations that these players deliberately let him down to succeed him as Pakistan captain. The PCB also needs to send a message to this group that no one is above the game and these players are not indispensable and their focus should only be on cricket and performing.

I will be happy with Sarfaraz or Shan Masood taking over. The team overall needs a new direction and a fresh mindset.

PCB will be wise enough to stay clear of the Clique of Babar, Rizwan, Shadab, Shaheen. There is just too much familiarity bias in that group. If you appoint anyone as captain among those 4 players, you are risking discord, resentment and Babar will start making accusations that these players deliberately let him down to succeed him as Pakistan captain. The PCB also needs to send a message to this group that no one is above the game and these players are not indispensable and their focus should only be on cricket and performing.

I will be happy with Sarfaraz or Shan Masood taking over. The team overall needs a new direction and a fresh mindset.
Shaan and sarfaraz are the plan hence the reason why sarfraz's contract has been reviewed just few days back. Also inzi meeting shaan recently.

Rizwans and everyone else's name is just being thrown in by fan boys on pp

Rizwan’s captaincy for Multan Sultans so far has been impressive. In terms of game awareness, bowling changes and field placements he has been far ahead of other contenders though I wouldn’t mind Shan as the captain too.

Man Pakistan media is toxic. Pak still have an outside chance of making it to the semis. Their path is very similar to 2019 and who knows they may do it again. With some help from other teams one of NZ/AUS/SA can bow out.. What is the need to start these rumors and demotivate team? how is it going to help?

I feel bad for Babar. I am not a huge fan of him, but i still enjoy his batting. He seems to be a pretty poor captain, but he is your captain. Let him complete the tournament and give him an opportunity to bow out respectfully. PCB can give him a nudge in the right direction in a private conversation. Why this public humiliation? do you guys want to lose him even as a player?

In Babar's defense i don't think Pakistan team win matches because of captaincy. It is almost always due to individual brilliance. Sure leadership has been there before. But Pakistan was never known for strategies.

Shan Masood can stay away from LOI, keep him in tests. Being educated doesn’t make up for the fact that he’s a rubbish player.

Mohammad Rizwan won’t be any different to Babar Azam. Probably see less mistakes when it comes to making decisions on the field but overall he’s very timid like Babar.

Sarfaraz Ahmed should be given the captaincy for Tests. He’s not needed in ODI’s.
Shaheen Afridi has zero composure as a bowler, he’ll make a terrible captain for Pakistan. PSL success means nothing.
Shadab Khan shouldn’t be in the ODI team. Let him be a T20 merchant.

Imad Wasim would’ve been the perfect choice for me, but he’s 34. We should be building a squad for 2027, he’ll be 39 by then. He probably won’t be fit enough to play franchise leagues let alone international cricket.

The only real candidate is Mohammad Haris. Someone young, arguably our best attacking keeper. Give him the captaincy.

Sarfaraz might win the nod for this and Shaheen might win the nod for that

Not sure if it’s a national duty or national lottery
and why are there lobbies for this slot? shouldn't captaincy be about grooming potential candidates in the FC and picking the appropriate one?

People saying Rizwan's captaincy will be similar to Babar make me laugh

Rizwan has been leading Multan Sultan's for three consecutive years and in those three years he has taken them to the final nothing less. Babar Azam has been captain for two years and in those two he lead Karachi kings to the bottom of the table with a single win and his second season with PZ was poor with a 50% win rate despite having the best top order of the tournament.

In fact if anything the fact that such a poor captain like Babar was able to bring his team to the qualifiers over Karachi and Quetta just goes to show what poor captain's Sarfraz and Imad are

Fact of the matter is, Rizwan is easily the best choice and with Shaheen as his deputy, Pakistan can finally begin living up to it's potential

Pakistan is not out of WC yet. I think talk of change in captain should happen after the WC. Something looked off in the last game when they were fielding. I am not sure if anything was related to this issue.

Sarfaraz, isn't the guy like 37 years old? Plus there is already a keeper present, only in Pakistan do we make a non-regular player captain and then kick him out for good, Waqar is one that I can remember now and then there were others too.

Pakistan is not out of WC yet. I think talk of change in captain should happen after the WC. Something looked off in the last game when they were fielding. I am not sure if anything was related to this issue.
Have you seen margin of victory of SA and Aus in last two games, our NRR is pathetic, even if we win all the remaining games which will not happen, the NRR will get us kicked out.

The team overall needs a new direction and a fresh mindset.
I will be happy with Sarfaraz or Shan Masood taking over.

What? Lol.

The clique of Babar and co could make a case for management to consider to staying away from these 4. However it would be a very harsh step when Rizwan deserves it more than anyone else.

The best way to counter this is to rightfully give Rizzy the captaincy but counterbalance this with Imad as vice captain. Let them challenge eachother.

And it goes without saying that no captain should enjoy the privileges that Babar did during his tenure. Let Rizwan and Imad focus on the field. The final say in off field decisions should lie elsewhere.

lol @ Sarfraz being an option. I guess how quickly people have forgotten he couldn't bat to save his life during the end of his captaincy and was completely useless across all formats. He's not even a regular on any format including Tests. He's a specialist at facing spin and that's it. Pakistan will find out when he gets badly clowned on in the upcoming Australia tour.

He is now a ripe age of only 37 years as a wicketkeeper. WK around the world are finished at that age, but on team Pakistan, that is when your career truly begins. What a farce & a joke.

Either way, anyone thinking any of these will change much in Pakistan is foolish. They are all born & bred out of the same mediocre system under the same mediocre coaches and only taught to accumulate & play conservatively.

There is a singular lack of respect and dignity in the discourse.
Sadly typical of many of the institutions in the country and the media are no different.
Whilst one would not want the deferential approach adopted in some countries, why not wait until the tournament is over, take stock and then find a replacement

Oh hang on, that’s what a grown up country would do …. my mistake

Why wait till the next WC game? Sack Babar as Captain now - and then se ethe difference in performance!
If you bring Imran khan and make him caption Still Pakistan is not going to reach in semifinals or not win more than 2 match from here

I’m all for sacking Babar and I understand that captains have to life and die by the results but before Babar is sacked, we have to understand why he should be sacked and what do we hope to achieve with a new captain.

People don’t want to hear this but the biggest problem is not his captaincy but the fact that the players are not good enough. As a cricket nation, Pakistan is hovering in the same league as Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, West indies and Afghanistan and have been for a while notwithstanding the noise our fans make and all the fake hype.

The reality is that we are a deeply mediocre cricket nation and have been for a very long time. We run run our mouths, thump our chests and show eyes but the reality always rears its ugly head.

On true cricketing merit, not a single Pakistani player, including Babar, would even make the World XI B team in ODIs let alone A team. In such circumstances, do you really expect your captain to win you a World Cup?

Another issue with the fans and the media is they are reactionary. If Pakistan win it is good captaincy and if Pakistan loses it is bad captaincy but in the real world, good decisions can lead to bad results and bad decisions can lead to good results.

Everything is viewed in hindsight and every narrative is peddled based on the outcome and not the thought-process behind the decision-making.

For example, everyone is critical about Shadab’s selection in the playing XI. It is a case of “I told you so” because his form was absolute shambles leading into the World Cup and he has continued on that front.

Since Shadab failed the narrative now is that Babar picks his friends and there is no accountability if you are in his good books.

On the flip side, had Shadab performed in this World Cup, the same people would be calling it good leadership because good leaders and good captains back players in difficult times and give them confidence and it was this confidence and backing that allowed Shadab to shine in the World Cup.

We never look at the merits and the logic behind a decision and let the outcome dictate the success/failure of a decision.

The perception of Babar’s captaincy would have been different based on how Shadab performed even though it is not in Babar’s control. Ultimately, the ball has to come out of Shadab’s hand.

Had Shadab succeeded, no one would have had the courage to say that selecting him was the wrong decision even if he performed well because the thought-process behind selecting him, whether he failed or succeeded, was the same.

Pakistan needs to learn to focus on the merits and logic behind decisions and not necessary the results because it is not always in your control.

If you want to sack Babar, please do so based on the belief that he has to be accountable for the bad results regardless of the degree of his responsibility. That is the nature of this job.

However, if you sack Babar because you think someone else can conquer the world with this average bunch and there are players out there who can transform this team, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment and the captaincy musical chairs will continue.
very well-articulated. as much as i hate to say it, captain can only do what is team is capable of doing. Maybe the leader can push the team to achieve their full potential, and collectively punch above their weight. This is only possible if there is a well thought out plan, process behind what the leader is trying to accomplish. If it is just randomly and you end up with random results some of which are positive, you cannot say that person was great leader. I would take a good plan, process and mediocre results every day. Because over a longer period of time, good plan, process and direction is likely to generate more consistent positive results.

very well-articulated. as much as i hate to say it, captain can only do what is team is capable of doing. Maybe the leader can push the team to achieve their full potential, and collectively punch above their weight. This is only possible if there is a well thought out plan, process behind what the leader is trying to accomplish. If it is just randomly and you end up with random results some of which are positive, you cannot say that person was great leader. I would take a good plan, process and mediocre results every day. Because over a longer period of time, good plan, process and direction is likely to generate more consistent positive results.

MS Dhoni has proven time and time again that it is possible to overachieve with mediocre resources. Teams like NZ and even some of the associate countries like Netherlands have shown it is possible to put a good show even if you lack resources provided you do the basics right, prepare professionally and with preparation by doing the controllables well.

I find it absolutely disgusting and repulsive for this conversation to be taking place now as the WC is still on and Babar is still the captain. And pretty insulting to babar. If Pak doesn't qualify then pcb or pak TM must have discussions after the tournament is over not during...

How is Sarfaraz fit for captaincy when he couldn't get his team into semi finals in previous WC. To be eligible for captaincy he needs to be eligible to play as a player first.

Not sure why Shaheen is even considered. He does not even know the rules. Has lot his head countless times and bowled absolute rubbish.
That shows me he does not have the mentality of a captain or composure. Does not even have a cricketing brain to be honest.

Pakistan need to move on from Shaan, Sarfaraz etc. Rizwan is the obvious candidate due to his experience as captain but even he is not convincing.

But knowing Pakistan I would not be surprised if they gave it to someone like Imam because he wears glasses so must be smart right? I mean he talked about protein and likes to throw statistics about his average and percentages so bet he will make a great captain (!)

This should give you a clear idea

Good move.

Pakistan need leadership change definitely. Need a captain who can think out of the box and inspire.

Babar should focus on his batting. Captaincy should go to someone else.

This should give you a clear idea
Inzimam chief selector is also represented by the same agency

It only becomes a clique if you don't win. You don't hear about cliques in teams that win. It's just a meaningless phrase with no little substance, always trotted out when we lose.

First of all, report leaking during an ongoing world cup is really poor and unprofessional.

If not Babar, then Pak don't much choices. Pacers are not likely to play every match, Shaheen already seems worn down playing all these t20 leagues, same goes for other pacers who keep play t20 leagues and not taking the necessary rest to recover.

So the only other viable option is Rizwan. Keeper captain gives you advantage as you get the best view of the field anyways.

Only professional approach is a top down system approach based on process.

I’m more interested in the coaching staff, we need to get a staff that know what modern ODI cricket is all about, maybe try and get Trott in as batting coach!

About 20 years ago, a famous commentator during a match in Australia said something like .."Pakistan needs a strong and autocratic leader as captain to control the players and factions".
I know, the Pakistani players these days behave much better compared to past Pakistani players and also compared to other contemporary players from other teams. So, a control freak may not be needed as captain. But a strong captain is needed. Will Rizwan fit the bill? - I don't know. I voted for him.

Have you seen margin of victory of SA and Aus in last two games, our NRR is pathetic, even if we win all the remaining games which will not happen, the NRR will get us kicked out.
Other teams may lose matches. I mean it's hard for Pakistan, but their goal should be to win all games in front of them now.

About 20 years ago, a famous commentator during a match in Australia said something like .."Pakistan needs a strong and autocratic leader as captain to control the players and factions".
I know, the Pakistani players these days behave much better compared to past Pakistani players and also compared to other contemporary players from other teams. So, a control freak may not be needed as captain. But a strong captain is needed. Will Rizwan fit the bill? - I don't know. I voted for him.
From every report Babar was autocratic.. he was just not good enough as a captain.

4 years ago we selected a captain based on performance and 4 years later we a making thread asking to sack that captain because he doesn't have any captaincy skills but nominating another perfomer rizwab with no captaincy skills.

In 2027 we will be making a thread to sack rizwan because he's not performing and isn't captaincy material

Back