[Report] Babar Azam to be sacked after ICC World Cup 2023 - Sarfaraz, Shaheen and Rizwan emerge as potential replacements

Who should take over if Babar Azam is no longer ODI Captain of Pakistan?

• Total voters
shan the only guy who can groom as well next guy...i feel like he is very honest as well with his country and if you check his stats you can tell his strongest format is odi where they never gave him a proper chance

Should we say thank you to Imam for getting rid of Babar as a Captain and Inzi as Selector as he contribute 70% in this cause.

I believe Babar it self it not sole for his Captaincy but Imam has contributed more than Babar removing him as a captain and his Mamo as Chief Selector.

Starting with Iftikhar Ahmed - genius move?

" It is Babar Azam fault that Fast bowlers are bowling this like because they have taken their place for granted and they know there is bench strength so why will they perform or do fitness when their slot is 100% confirm either perform or not. If Sarfarz was a captain he would have developed Musa, Hussian, Amir, etc but i don't what made Babar select this terrible line up" Imad Wasim.

I think they won't change the captain, instead, they might reduce the captaincy powers and alter the selection process.

I think they won't change the captain, instead, they might reduce the captaincy powers and alter the selection process.
They are and Rashid Latif said both Babar and Imam will be demoted and current Contract will be terminated and it will be made after WC performance investigation.

The likes of Younis and Misbah as captains were very good with using their bowlers, tactics, creating pressure and making a game. Gone are the days when spinners would choke down the batters or the pacers would get two in two and all the eleven on the ground feeding off each others' energy. Sarfraz did well in t20is but couldn't do it well in ODIs and tests. (barring CT17)

He shouldn’t wait for the sack - he should resign on his own after the WC. Captaincy is taking toll on his batting as well - just focus on own batting and deliver when required.

Some serious bad captaincy by Babar, one would have thought you’d have learnt your lesson after t20 World Cup last year. Senseless decision in letting Nawaz bowl at the end.

Starting with Iftikhar Ahmed - genius move?
that was a good move. But the thing is, when you start with a spinner than you go with him till the 10th over. The idea is your part timer gets a few overs in and that increases the run and ball margin.

He bowled 2 overs by ifti and than 1 or 2 by Nawaz and thats it.

Bowling and fielding poor again. Batters did a marvellous job
How!!!! They didn’t bat out 50 overs - in-fact 20 balls were wasted.

Then, none of the four set batsmen had the willingness to stick in middle and get a big one: Babar, Riz, Ifti, Saud - I leave Shadab & Nawaz because they are not there for big innings, did their part enough. Between no. 3 to 8, six scores are 50, 31, 21, 52, 43 & 24!!!!!!

Third, they had absolutely no clue of what’s the wicket like and how much they can defend - yes, the more the better, but this wicket was a “play out 50 overs” wicket. Run rate was always decent, SAF conceded too many extras than their usual standards and PAK all out in 46’4 over - is this magnificent job? Even 282 like the AFG game would have won it.

Bowlers did a grand job, despite no support from captain, who even don’t know the strength of his bowlers - who bowls 5 overs of Rauf in side first 18 overs on this dry, scratchy wicket!!!!!

You are happy only because today they kept the RR over 5 all through - that’s actually was also goofed-up, saved by two handy innings by Shadab & Nawaz… otherwise at 141/5, business usual SAF would have got a target of 200-210…. Then would have blasted it inside 35 overs.

How!!!! They didn’t bat out 50 overs - in-fact 20 balls were wasted.

Then, none of the four set batsmen had the willingness to stick in middle and get a big one: Babar, Riz, Ifti, Saud - I leave Shadab & Nawaz because they are not there for big innings, did their part enough. Between no. 3 to 8, six scores are 50, 31, 21, 52, 43 & 24!!!!!!

Third, they had absolutely no clue of what’s the wicket like and how much they can defend - yes, the more the better, but this wicket was a “play out 50 overs” wicket. Run rate was always decent, SAF conceded too many extras than their usual standards and PAK all out in 46’4 over - is this magnificent job? Even 282 like the AFG game would have won it.

Bowlers did a grand job, despite no support from captain, who even don’t know the strength of his bowlers - who bowls 5 overs of Rauf in side first 18 overs on this dry, scratchy wicket!!!!!

You are happy only because today they kept the RR over 5 all through - that’s actually was also goofed-up, saved by two handy innings by Shadab & Nawaz… otherwise at 141/5, business usual SAF would have got a target of 200-210…. Then would have blasted it inside 35 overs.
Hold on captain, my post was a sarcasm on the batters

That's why I want Imad as the limited overs captain, at least for the T20s...he ain't a yaar dost of this current group so can make the tough but clear decisions of dropping the non performing players

Last edited by a moderator:
Asif Ali as captain??? On a serious note I don't think changing captains will do anything as the rot runs deep.

Asif Ali as captain??? On a serious note I don't think changing captains will do anything as the rot runs deep.
Yeah, rot may run deep but still can't keep Babar as captain, the guy is tactically zero, we may have won against Afg and SA if not for a better captain, with him we can ensure there won't be any close games and we will lose close games as well.

Geez i was being sarcastic

Of course our batting has been pathetic
My bad, Im sorry for not picking that up.

In the moment I was too disappointed after all the nervousness of like ~10 overs I think where I thought Pakistan was genuinely going to win it, but the they lost...

We are probably now at the point where we unfortunately have to start looking beyond this WC and planning for the next cycle. One thing is clear that we ideally need a change in leadership. Obviously in an ideal world, we want a Captain who is fair, smart, commands the respect of the dressing room, has a presence on the field, calm under pressure, tactically shrewd, has good game awareness, a calculated risk taker and a fighter. Or at least has some of these attributes. But before we even go there - who are the candidates who even make the cut to be considered, based on more basic criteria:
1. Certainty in the team
2. Will be around for the next World Cup
3. Is fit and will be consistently available to play over the next four years

Based on this, I think the only ones that even make this list are: Babar, Rizwan and maybe Shaheen Afridi.

Frankly the only viable option seems Rizwan, if we want a change. And he has been very much part of the current leadership team, so don’t think it is really that much of a change. Thankfully, we don’t have any ODIs after the WC for a long time and maybe some other option emerges by then.

But curious what others think are potential new ODI captain candidates?

The first thing we need to do is conduct IQ test on the potential candidates because babar turned out be a low IQ total dumb captain

We are probably now at the point where we unfortunately have to start looking beyond this WC and planning for the next cycle. One thing is clear that we ideally need a change in leadership. Obviously in an ideal world, we want a Captain who is fair, smart, commands the respect of the dressing room, has a presence on the field, calm under pressure, tactically shrewd, has good game awareness, a calculated risk taker and a fighter. Or at least has some of these attributes. But before we even go there - who are the candidates who even make the cut to be considered, based on more basic criteria:
1. Certainty in the team

Based on this, I think the only ones that even make this list are: Babar, Rizwan and maybe Shaheen Afridi.

Frankly the only viable option seems Rizwan, if we want a change. And he has been very much part of the current leadership team, so don’t think it is really that much of a change. Thankfully, we don’t have any ODIs after the WC for a long time and maybe some other option emerges by then.

You forgot to add an important fourth criteria-

4. Has a brain and knows how to use it to strategize and improvise during a game (though I don’t know anybody in the current Pak team who will fit the criteria!)

You forgot to add an important fourth criteria-

4. Has a brain and knows how to use it to strategize and improvise during a game (though I don’t know anybody in the current Pak team who will fit the criteria!)
exactly we need a high IQ captain another dumb captain like babar wont solve anything

The first thing we need to do is conduct IQ test on the potential candidates because babar turned out be a low IQ total dumb captain
Don’t think it’ll work - because I can tell you right now the top two scorers in IQ Test …. Shan Masood & Imam Ul Haq.

Conventional IQ test is based on memory (historical facts), linguistics (language skills), numerical aptitude & logical rationality- people with better academic background will always do better in such IQ tests …. In fact, I have taken many such IQ tests - my scores there and in GMAT is quite good, actually among top percentile - and, I’ll do dodo as cricket captain, not only as for my playing skills but also for my man management deficiency, ill temperament & individualistic nature…

In fact the most potential guy among next incumbents was dumb enough to post personal “pleasure moment” in social media.

The most cunning & street smart player in all sports combined that I have seen, probably was Diego Maradona - someone genius with ball at feet and equally sharp in his mind …. Not sure how much he could have scored in IQ test, but guy would need calculator to count how many players are on the field!!!!

Cricket Captain should be -
1. An automatic choice in playing XI on cricket merit
2. A strong character to lead from the front and stand strong under pressure (his individual performance won’t suffer for captaincy pressure - the best ones actually perform better as captain)
3. A great communicator, who can get the message to his team - English, Bangla, Urdu, Hindi or sign/body language doesn’t matter, doesn’t matter if he is talkative or very aloof … what it matters is getting the message to his team - Ian Chappel did that with his tongue & vocal cord; Imran did that with his eyes.
4. A fair guy, who would be honest, transparent & just to his players on playing merit, can put merit & team requirements above personal preferences
5. A quick decision maker, who is decisive with his decisions (not necessarily always correct), and bold enough to back it, not afraid of making mistakes
6. A great listener- an approachable guy, open to opinions/suggestions and ready to accept it, if it makes sense; not necessarily he’ll hug everyone, but will listen if anyone is asked for opinion - final call is his
7. A hunger for learning/collecting information- he learns from every mistake and remembers it for next time
8. A bold guy who live by the sword, ready to die by it as well - isn’t afraid to loose his job as captain, therefore doesn’t look for protections from his trusted ones

Unfortunately, apart from first one Babar doesn’t tick any other box - so he failed.

1. Certainty in the team

If you are going to go down the route of changing captain

Then

Shaheen for white ball
Rizwan for red ball

But some people in the media are reporting Sarfraz and Shan as potential captains, that would be the END of cricket in Pakistan as we know it. Will go down the West indies route

How can we allow chor Zardari's puppet to ruin the one thing that gives us some happiness in this country??

Don’t think it’ll work - because I can tell you right now the top two scorers in IQ Test …. Shan Masood & Imam Ul Haq.

Conventional IQ test is based on memory (historical facts), linguistics (language skills), numerical aptitude & logical rationality- people with better academic background will always do better in such IQ tests …. In fact, I have taken many such IQ tests - my scores there and in GMAT is quite good, actually among top percentile - and, I’ll do dodo as cricket captain, not only as for my playing skills but also for my man management deficiency, ill temperament & individualistic nature…

In fact the most potential guy among next incumbents was dumb enough to post personal “pleasure moment” in social media.

The most cunning & street smart player in all sports combined that I have seen, probably was Diego Maradona - someone genius with ball at feet and equally sharp in his mind …. Not sure how much he could have scored in IQ test, but guy would need calculator to count how many players are on the field!!!!

Cricket Captain should be -
1. An automatic choice in playing XI on cricket merit
2. A strong character to lead from the front and stand strong under pressure (his individual performance won’t suffer for captaincy pressure - the best ones actually perform better as captain)
3. A great communicator, who can get the message to his team - English, Bangla, Urdu, Hindi or sign/body language doesn’t matter, doesn’t matter if he is talkative or very aloof … what it matters is getting the message to his team - Ian Chappel did that with his tongue & vocal cord; Imran did that with his eyes.
4. A fair guy, who would be honest, transparent & just to his players on playing merit, can put merit & team requirements above personal preferences
5. A quick decision maker, who is decisive with his decisions (not necessarily always correct), and bold enough to back it, not afraid of making mistakes
6. A great listener- an approachable guy, open to opinions/suggestions and ready to accept it, if it makes sense; not necessarily he’ll hug everyone, but will listen if anyone is asked for opinion - final call is his
7. A hunger for learning/collecting information- he learns from every mistake and remembers it for next time
8. A bold guy who live by the sword, ready to die by it as well - isn’t afraid to loose his job as captain, therefore doesn’t look for protections from his trusted ones

Unfortunately, apart from first one Babar doesn’t tick any other box - so he failed.
Its surprising that you have a good IQ and GMAT score.

A captain should
1) Be a certainty in the eleven
2) command respect as a player and a professional

Babar fulfills both these points. The tactical decisions can be left to the background staff- Arthur and co

Last edited by a moderator:
Its surprising that you have a good IQ and GMAT score. As this post suggests that you have a very low intellect

A captain should

Babar fulfills both these points. The tactical decisions can be left to the background staff- Arthur and co
So, I guess he’ll use a mobile phone may be to discuss with background staffs before every over, sometimes every ball?

Its surprising that you have a good IQ and GMAT score. As this post suggests that you have a very low intellect

A captain should

Are you freaking serious? We have all seen Babar’s disastrous captaincy over this WC- no attacking field, horrible bowling changes, no game awareness, no motivation to bowlers, just nothing! The coach cannot take decisions on the fly in the middle of the ground, you need a great captain on the middle with a good cricketing brain - and Babar is dumb as a lamppost in that regard!

See all of us want Pakistan cricket to thrive. I have seen days when the team purposely used to throw matches away to remove captain. I do not want to live through that period again

Atleast the team is UNITED under Babar and everyone gives his 100 percent. And there is stability

The tactical decisions can be taken by the support staff- that should be their role

These boys (Shaheen, Rizwan, Shadab) who are exceptional talents will not be able to play to the best of their abilities under SARFRAZ or SHAN. We need to back this golden generation of ours- they will win many ICC titles InshAllah

Guys: there is no need to fight here. No personal conversation and fights will be allowed here. All unrelated posts will be removed.
Please stay on the topic of the thread.

The problem is that I can see groups forming and Pakistan going back to the time of the 90s where everyone wanted the job.

I really want a really left field decision like when Graeme Smith was given the role for SA.

Babar should not be sacked as a captain. If bowlers are continually going to bowl hit me balls regardless of which field you set it's not going to make a difference how good the captain is. The amount of freebies the bowlers have been providing to opposition is players is mind boggling. They don't have the ability to put 3 balls on a good line and every couple of balls they give a gift to the batsmen which was releasing the pressure at crucial points of the game.

Batsmen are getting out playing the same shots and not learning from their mistakes. Their inability to play 50 overs is not entirely babars fault. Imam has been getting out playing the same pull shot most of the times.

Current potential captaincy tier list imo

S: Sarfraz
A: Saud, Imad
B: Shan
C: Mo Haris
D: Shaheen, Shadab
E: Babar
F: Rizwan

PCB will be wise enough to stay clear of the Clique of Babar, Rizwan, Shadab, Shaheen. There is just too much familiarity bias in that group. If you appoint anyone as captain among those 4 players, you are risking discord, resentment and Babar will start making accusations that these players deliberately let him down to succeed him as Pakistan captain. The PCB also needs to send a message to this group that no one is above the game and these players are not indispensable and their focus should only be on cricket and performing.

I will be happy with Sarfaraz or Shan Masood taking over. The team overall needs a new direction and a fresh mindset.
Shan doesn't merit a place in the team, the decision to make him captain will be disastrous.

Sarfraz can work short term as a middle order bat captain, but got to make someone younger as deputy

is this the blessing in disguise thread or we have another one to count on additional blessings from this WC showing?

Sarfaraz is old and won't last till next WC. Secondly in his last stint he was not an automatic pick in the eleven and was a liability.

Shaheen is made of glass and gets injured every month, the VC will essentially be the captain for most of Shaheen's tenure.

Rizwan is part of Babar's friends group and will be about the same as Babar in terms of policies.

I want us to take a gamble of how South Africa did with Graeme Smith. Make Saud the captain and see if he sinks or swims.

Rizwan must be a strong contender.

From an ugly hack to captain of Pakistan team.

How fortunes change.

Only one option to be honest, ie. Rizwan. Shaheen is all heart but PCB needs to rest him more often. Captaincy shouldn't burden him.

Rest of them are inconsistent 50/50 cricketers...... Who am I kidding 50/50, 60-70% of the time they'll fail to contribute and will simply be a liability being carried around in the name of captaincy.

Only one option to be honest, ie. Rizwan. Shaheen is all heart but PCB needs to rest him more often. Captaincy shouldn't burden him.

Rest of them are inconsistent 50/50 cricketers...... Who am I kidding 50/50, 60-70% of the time they'll fail to contribute and will simply be a liability being carried around in the name of captaincy.
Rizwan is consistent in what exactly?

Rizwan is consistent in what exactly?
It's not like we are blessed with top players and captain's. Babar is the worst of the captain's he have not improved after 4 years. Shadab our beloved vice captain only decent at t20s and can't even bowl full 10 overs and shouldn't be near the odi test team. So the best options are Shaheen and Rizwan. Rizwan have captained peshawar domestic teams and Mullan sultans in psl. So either Shaheen or Rizwan re the options and I will go for Rizwan as he is a proactive captain

Sarfaraz is old and won't last till next WC. Secondly in his last stint he was not an automatic pick in the eleven and was a liability.

Shaheen is made of glass and gets injured every month, the VC will essentially be the captain for most of Shaheen's tenure.

Rizwan is part of Babar's friends group and will be about the same as Babar in terms of policies.

I want us to take a gamble of how South Africa did with Graeme Smith. Make Saud the captain and see if he sinks or swims.
That gamble was already taken by making babar azam captain . Nothing gonna change Pakistan will just do good in t20s for next 10 years Pakistan will remain crap in Odis

I’m good with this as long as we stay away from Shan Masood

We all know why you want Saud to be captain ;)

But in all seriousness, Shaheen as captain and Abdullah or Fakhar as deputy to take over in C/D team series with Shaheen maintaining selection veto in all series irrespective is the only way to go.

Should be sacked

We need to spend some money $$$ on a quality coach, not this cheap online coach BS option. He should be calling the shots. Our players have no idea at all. Babar is one of the worst captain Pakistan has had. His vision was to win the WC by playing two and pieces spin AR(Shadab and Nawaz) in India.

Should be sacked

We need to spend some money $$$ on a quality coach, not this cheap online coach BS option. He should be calling the shots. Our players have no idea at all. Babar is one of the worst captain Pakistan has had. His vision was to win the WC by playing two and pieces spin AR(Shadab and Nawaz) in India.
that was such a ridiculous call by babar to pick usama and nawaz into the squad.

his arrogance in selection costed us this world cup.

Last edited:
I think they’ll make Shan Masood as test captain and for T20s it will be Shaheen or Rizwan.

I think they’ll make Shan Masood as test captain and for T20s it will be Shaheen or Rizwan.
Shan Masood for tests and Rizwan for both t20 and ODIs

Shaheen has some fitness issues so his availability would remain a big question.

is this the blessing in disguise thread or we have another one to count on additional blessings from this WC showing?
Maybe bring the same thread we (probably) started after 2015 WC? This cycle will keep on continuing unless our system gets better which is hugely dependent on our political and economic stability.

Nothing in a country works in isolation. Everything is connected.

Maybe bring the same thread we (probably) started after 2015 WC? This cycle will keep on continuing unless our system gets better which is hugely dependent on our political and economic stability.

Nothing in a country works in isolation. Everything is connected.
Again Afghans with instability have done well and BD with so much stability haven’t.

Look at English team years of stability.. and what do they have to show?

I actually believe sports is a culture and not completely related to stability, I believe institutions prioritise sports do well, even in India states like Manipur and Haryana with not great economy do very well in sports it’s prioritised by the people as well

Again Afghans with instability have done well and BD with so much stability haven’t.

Look at English team years of stability.. and what do they have to show?
They are not world beaters. The performances they are giving is the maximum they can do or they can at most reach Pakistan's level.

Do you want to become India or Australia or do you think we should settle for where Afghanis and SL are?

The main reason we were so good in 80s/90s was the fact that most of the cricketers came from colleges and universities. They were not brought in directly from street cricket apart from few. They were already groomed and didn't take much to become competitive. They used to bully SENA teams. The current lot are just fan boys and have no self respect.

Whoever plays at International should be mentally tough. No matter how talented you are (Umar Akmal as an example), you will fail most of the times if you're not mentally at that level.

They are not world beaters. The performances they are giving is the maximum they can do or they can at most reach Pakistan's level.

Do you want to become India or Australia or do you think we should settle for where Afghanis and SL are?

The main reason we were so good in 80s/90s was the fact that most of the cricketers came from colleges and universities. They were not brought in directly from street cricket apart from few. They were already groomed and didn't take much to become competitive. They used to bully SENA teams. The current lot are just fan boys and have no self respect.

Whoever plays at International should be mentally tough. No matter how talented you are (Umar Akmal as an example), you will fail most of the times if you're not mentally at that level.
Pakistan cricketers did well in 1980s and 1990s was due to county cricket.

Pakistani cricketers becoming part of IPL will solve that problem.

You will not be world beaters but atleast wouldn’t lose to Afghans.

Footballers hardly are college educated ever but look at them..

Pakistan cricketers did well in 1980s and 1990s was due to county cricket.

Pakistani cricketers becoming part of IPL will solve that problem.

You will not be world beaters but atleast wouldn’t lose to Afghans.

Footballers hardly are college educated ever but look at them..
It’s a misconception that footballers aren’t intelligent. If you’re an immense talent with no brains you won’t make it in football.

Education/intelligence make a big difference in any international level sport.

Pakistan’s poor international development has stunted the growth of our cricket for sure.

Babar Azam at pre match press conference ahead of final clash with England tomorrow

[Reporter:]

The World Cup is still a match away. But, with regards to your captaincy, can't a cricketer like you play the role that Virat Kohli is playing in the Indian team? To prolong your career and focus more on cricket? Because sometimes it feels like this burden hurts your individual performance?

[Babar Azam:]

I have been captaining my team for the last three years and I have never felt this way.

It’s just because I have not performed the way I should have in the World Cup, that’s why people are saying that I am under pressure. I am under no pressure. I have been doing this for the last 2.5 or 3 years. I was the one who was performing and I was the one who was the captain. I was applying the same thing.

It depends how you take such thing. Everyone has their own point of view, their own way of thinking. Everyone is saying something different. He should be like this, or like that. If someone has to give me advice, everyone has my number. It is easy to give advice on TV. If you want to give me some advice, you can message me.

I don't think I was under any pressure or felt any different because of this. I try to give my best in the field during the fielding. During batting, I think about how I should make runs and make the team win.

Babar Azam at pre match press conference ahead of final clash with England tomorrow

[Reporter:]

The World Cup is still a match away. But, with regards to your captaincy, can't a cricketer like you play the role that Virat Kohli is playing in the Indian team? To prolong your career and focus more on cricket? Because sometimes it feels like this burden hurts your individual performance?

[Babar Azam:]

I have been captaining my team for the last three years and I have never felt this way.

It’s just because I have not performed the way I should have in the World Cup, that’s why people are saying that I am under pressure. I am under no pressure. I have been doing this for the last 2.5 or 3 years. I was the one who was performing and I was the one who was the captain. I was applying the same thing.

It depends how you take such thing. Everyone has their own point of view, their own way of thinking. Everyone is saying something different. He should be like this, or like that. If someone has to give me advice, everyone has my number. It is easy to give advice on TV. If you want to give me some advice, you can message me.

I don't think I was under any pressure or felt any different because of this. I try to give my best in the field during the fielding. During batting, I think about how I should make runs and make the team win.

Yeah, he ain’t resigning.

We’re stuck with Babar as captain, no one in PCB has the balls to remove him from captaincy. Babar’s fans will make some noise and the chairman will buckle under pressure.

I fear that if we win tomorrow, Babar will use the NRR card as a way to avoid criticism of his own performances and his captaincy.

Yeah, he ain’t resigning.

We’re stuck with Babar as captain, no one in PCB has the balls to remove him from captaincy. Babar’s fans will make some noise and the chairman will buckle under pressure.

I fear that if we win tomorrow, Babar will use the NRR card as a way to avoid criticism of his own performances and his captaincy.

Like I said in 2021 Babar as captain is not only clueless but he lacks the luck good captains have aswell. Countless close matches lost under him due a single moment of luck going against us in the closing stages.

Back