"Sachin Tendulkar felt 'uncomfortable' while facing me." : Shoaib Akhtar

"I have a lot of respect for him and I have even gone to his place in 2016 and told him that. He cooked for me and he is also a great cook and an amazing human being too. I told him what I had written about him and Sachin said, ‘Leave all that whatever it is. You had hit me during a match in Guwahati. Do you know where you had hit me?’ he asked and I said I think it was in your rib cage," said Akhtar.

He added, "Sachin said that night he went to the hospital and found out that he has a fracture in his rib cage and still went on to play against him. He couldn’t breathe and Sourav Ganguly was saying something but he couldn’t breathe. I asked him why didn’t you tell me? and Sachin said, ‘You were on top of me and India were in a spot of bother then. I went to the hospital and found out that I have a fracture on my 12th or 13th rib but I continued playing."

Wow! Just wow. Didn't know this and it shows character of both players.
And here we fans keep insulting both of them by talking nonsense.

You really believe that happened? :)))

Shoaib has a dramatic story for every opponent he's played against. He just comes up with them as he goes along lol

This incident is true. At least, I'm sure Sachin said this to Shoaib, because I've heard Sachin talking about this at a public event.

The bit about Ganguly, which Shoaib didn't explain, was that Ganguly kept asking Sachin from the non-striker's end, "Are you ok, you're ok no, you're a champion."

And Sachin was like - "I can barely breathe and am not able to respond to Sourav, but he's going on and on, and finally I told him, just keep quiet for a while man, will you?" :))

I got kinda confused reading the above, so basically Shoaib broke both Sachin and Ganguly's ribs .
That's no mean feat

Last edited:
'Sachin would've made 1 lakh runs': Akhtar bashes 'batting-oriented cricket' in passionate rant; 'I really pity him'
Former Pakistan quick cheekily added that had the same rules been in force during his playing days, Sachin Tendulkar would've scored over 1 lakh runs.

“You have two new balls. You have made the rules stricter. You give so much leverage to batsmen nowadays. You now allow three reviews. If we had three reviews during the time of Sachin, he would have made 1 lakh runs!” Akhtar said on his official YouTube channel.

The former Pakistan fast bowler also added that he pitied Sachin as he played against the toughest bowlers of his time.

Summit. Sachin Tendulkar or Brian Lara, Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo? Watch the full video to know whom the champion athlete chose.

“I really pity him. The reason I pity Sachin is he initially played against Wasim (Akram) and Waqar (Younis), he played against Shane Warne, then he faced (Brett) Lee and Shoaib (Akhtar), and later he played the next generation of fast bowlers. That's why I call him a very tough batsman,” said Akhtar.

“It's very batting-oriented cricket nowadays. Earlier, As a batsman, even you would enjoy fast bowlers approaching you with hair flying, bowling bouncers.”

Shastri, responding to his criticism of the modern game, suggested a tweak in rule and also added that the quantity of games is more than what the players in his era used to play.

“If you've to balance, you shouldn't restrict an over to 2 bouncers. Increase them. The reason why I say this is because it's exciting,” said Shastri.

“The volume (is also a factor). There was no T20 cricket at our time. There were 12-13-14 Test matches a year. Bowlers used to be fitter. If the same bowler is playing all three formats this time, what you expect out of him in actual red-ball format will not be the same. He will perform for one or two or three years, but then he will be out of petrol.”

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...e-rant-i-really-pity-him-101643280048766.html

'Sachin would've made 1 lakh runs': Akhtar bashes 'batting-oriented cricket' in passionate rant; 'I really pity him'
Former Pakistan quick cheekily added that had the same rules been in force during his playing days, Sachin Tendulkar would've scored over 1 lakh runs.

“You have two new balls. You have made the rules stricter. You give so much leverage to batsmen nowadays. You now allow three reviews. If we had three reviews during the time of Sachin, he would have made 1 lakh runs!” Akhtar said on his official YouTube channel.

The former Pakistan fast bowler also added that he pitied Sachin as he played against the toughest bowlers of his time.

Summit. Sachin Tendulkar or Brian Lara, Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo? Watch the full video to know whom the champion athlete chose.

“I really pity him. The reason I pity Sachin is he initially played against Wasim (Akram) and Waqar (Younis), he played against Shane Warne, then he faced (Brett) Lee and Shoaib (Akhtar), and later he played the next generation of fast bowlers. That's why I call him a very tough batsman,” said Akhtar.

“It's very batting-oriented cricket nowadays. Earlier, As a batsman, even you would enjoy fast bowlers approaching you with hair flying, bowling bouncers.”

Shastri, responding to his criticism of the modern game, suggested a tweak in rule and also added that the quantity of games is more than what the players in his era used to play.

“If you've to balance, you shouldn't restrict an over to 2 bouncers. Increase them. The reason why I say this is because it's exciting,” said Shastri.

“The volume (is also a factor). There was no T20 cricket at our time. There were 12-13-14 Test matches a year. Bowlers used to be fitter. If the same bowler is playing all three formats this time, what you expect out of him in actual red-ball format will not be the same. He will perform for one or two or three years, but then he will be out of petrol.”

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...e-rant-i-really-pity-him-101643280048766.html

Actually everybody missunderstood Akhtar, I have listened the whole interview, pathetic indian media is printing what suits them, Akhtar mentioned "Daira" urdu word not DRS means inner circle of ground for powerplay etc. This is comedy gold :lol

Shoaib Akhtar became the fastest bowler the world has ever seen in his bitter-sweet international career for former world champions Pakistan. The former Pakistan international, who played at the highest level for nearly 14 years, was known for making life difficult for opposing batters with his extra pace and injuring many others.

And in a recent interview with Sportskeeda, the 46-year-old has revealed one incident from the past in which he admitted that his intention was to hurt premier Indian batter Sachin Tendulkar rather than get him out. Akhtar was referring to the third Test which was played between India and Pakistan at the National Stadium in Karachi during India’s tour to the sub-continent rivals in 2006.

"I'm revealing this for the first time. I intentionally wanted to hit Sachin in that Test match. I was determined that I had to wound Sachin in that Test at any cost. Inzamam kept saying that bowl in front of the wickets, but I wanted to hit Sachin. So, I hit him on his helmet, and I felt he was done. But when I watched the video, I saw Sachin had managed to save his head," said Akhtar.

The Karachi Test between the arch-rivals is famous for Irfan Pathan's hat-trick in the first over of the match. The left-arm medium pacer dismissed opening batter Salman Butt and the experienced middle-order duo of Younis Khan and Mohammad Yousuf in the last three balls of his first over to achieve that incredible feat. However, despite that, India suffered a humiliating 341-run defeat against the Younis Khan-led side to lose the three-match series by a margin of 0-1

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...rt-tendulkar-not-dismiss-him-article-92013140

Shoaib has not done himself any favours by flip flopping like this. He should have stuck to his guns.

When he came out with the original revelations I thought he made a solid defence of his views to the Indian media. And he showed he’s saying this not because of any bias he had against india by talking glowingly about Ganguly and Dhoni.

His opinion was unpopular yes, but I respected him for the clarity and consistency of what he was saying. He could have easily caved in during any of the many interviews he gave at the time, but he was vehement.

He’s all over the place now saying greatest this, greatest that. Seems to have learned too many lessons from Wasim.

Yes Sachin was feeling threatened by Shoaib! This is why he kept whacking you from pillar to post like your daddy all the time! With such a long run up and speed Sachin just had to touch the ball with his bat then off it goes out of the ground. Shoaib is full of self praise at all times. I don't ever recall Sachin ever saying he was afraid of this show off.

Yes Sachin was feeling threatened by Shoaib! This is why he kept whacking you from pillar to post like your daddy all the time! With such a long run up and speed Sachin just had to touch the ball with his bat then off it goes out of the ground. Shoaib is full of self praise at all times. I don't ever recall Sachin ever saying he was afraid of this show off.

Every batsman would be afraid of pace. Ofcourse some like pace on bat but getting hit by a vicious bouncer is not fun. Shoaib would have been deadly in there were unlimited bouncer rules.
Sachin vs shoaib though was 50 50. Both got the better off each other on different occasions.
Sachin dint do well vs mcgrath in odi. He did ok in tests vs him.

I believe he struggled vs Donald too.
He was bad vs bond. In tests

He did pretty well vs wasim I suppose.

Every batsman would be afraid of pace. Ofcourse some like pace on bat but getting hit by a vicious bouncer is not fun. Shoaib would have been deadly in there were unlimited bouncer rules.
Sachin vs shoaib though was 50 50. Both got the better off each other on different occasions.
Sachin dint do well vs mcgrath in odi. He did ok in tests vs him.

I believe he struggled vs Donald too.
He was bad vs bond. In tests

He did pretty well vs wasim I suppose.

Sachin vs Shoaib the Indian batting legend owned him most off the time. Speed without line and length isn't much to be afraid off. Sachin did his talking on the field off play where as Shoaib mostly injured was all talk. I recall his comment before a WC match when he boasted "leave Tendulkar to me" only to be blasted out of the park.

Shoaib hardly bothered Sachin. The great batsman himself said that Abdur Razzaq was more of a challenge to face then Shoaib was:sarf.

Last edited:
Sachin vs Shoaib the Indian batting legend owned him most off the time. Speed without line and length isn't much to be afraid off. Sachin did his talking on the field off play where as Shoaib mostly injured was all talk. I recall his comment before a WC match when he boasted "leave Tendulkar to me" only to be blasted out of the park.

Shoaib hardly bothered Sachin. The great batsman himself said that Abdur Razzaq was more of a challenge to face then Shoaib was:sarf.

How come shoaib got him out so many times then? 11 times I think

Ugh - another “pace without line length” comment. Thanks for pointing out the obvious

Unfortunately it doesn’t apply to shoaib - you don’t get a strike rate of 45 without line and length. You can apply your earth shattering statement to sami, tait etc but not shoaib.

Sometimes he will go for runs - that’s what happens with attacking bowlers. Risk vs reward

Tendulkar was pretty quiet in the test series shoaib played in. Apart from the selfish 190 odd he made in multan where sehwag had already done the hard work, and Dravid, so bored and fed up with tendi’s chase for records declared.

Ugh - another “pace without line length� comment. Thanks for pointing out the obvious

Unfortunately it doesn’t apply to shoaib - you don’t get a strike rate of 45 without line and length. You can apply your earth shattering statement to sami, tait etc but not shoaib.

Sometimes he will go for runs - that’s what happens with attacking bowlers. Risk vs reward

Tendulkar was pretty quiet in the test series shoaib played in. Apart from the selfish 190 odd he made in multan where sehwag had already done the hard work, and Dravid, so bored and fed up with tendi’s chase for records declared.

That was hilarious. Tendulkar was so petulant and threw a hissy fit when he declared I heard.

But pakfc is right. Dint realize that Tendulkar got the better of shoaib. Whenever I watched I felt the opposite. Shoaib had him quivering at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
And yet, all you ever sing about in shoaib vs tendi is the odi at centurion

That was the biggest event where both of them clashed. Of course Shoaib choked, and that's why everyone remembers it.

As for dismissing him 5 times in ODI's, a part timer like Sachin has dismissed Inzamam 5 times in ODI cricket as well. That's how meaningful wickets in ODI cricket is.

That was the biggest event where both of them clashed. Of course Shoaib choked, and that's why everyone remembers it.

As for dismissing him 5 times in ODI's, a part timer like Sachin has dismissed Inzamam 5 times in ODI cricket as well. That's how meaningful wickets in ODI cricket is.

Along with Waqar (what's new for him in a World Cup).

Sorry, I meant JAMODIS, not ODI cricket overall. World Cups are the gold standard.

That was hilarious. Tendulkar was so petulant and threw a hissy fit when he declared I heard.

But pakfc is right. Dint realize that Tendulkar got the better of shoaib. Whenever I watched I felt the opposite. Shoaib had him quivering at times.

I think it’s this petulance that makes him so unlikeable - complaining about the declaration, always worried about the sight-screen (even Manjrekar who was initially a cheerleader for him get very annoyed with him about this), throwing his toys out of his pram at DRS because it exposed him not walking. India always raised objections about DRS and made a song and dance about it. Since he’s retired it’s been smooth sailing.

It’s also just general etiquettes and lack of humility. A lot of players have said glowing things about their contemporaries or predecessors.

E.g gavaskar when he broke bradman’s 29 centuries “If Bradman played as many matches as I have, he would have made 75 hundreds”.

Lara said some glowing stuff about tendu himself.

I’ve never heard him say anything positive about any other batsman.

Small man mentality.

I do feel for him though, from the age of 16 the Indian media stuck a camera on his face for the rest of his career. He never really grew up

Mohali test 1999 (1st test match vs Pakistan in a decade) - choke!

Asian test championship final - first ball choke

World Cup semi final 1996 - choke

World Cup final 2003 - choke

World Cup final 2011 - choke. (Bailed out by dhoni but personally, a choke nonetheless)

Hype around 100-100s vs England in 2011 - choke

Captaincy career - choke.

Even in marquee series vs Aus it was Dravid and Laxman stepping up to the plate in the important games. Tendu - choke.

All the series vs Pakistan 2004-2007. Dravid and Sehwag stepping up to the plate. Tendu - choke.

DRS - choke

Mohali test 1999 (1st test match vs Pakistan in a decade) - choke!

Asian test championship final - first ball choke

World Cup semi final 1996 - choke

World Cup final 2003 - choke

World Cup final 2011 - choke. (Bailed out by dhoni but personally, a choke nonetheless)

Hype around 100-100s vs England in 2011 - choke

Captaincy career - choke.

Even in marquee series vs Aus it was Dravid and Laxman stepping up to the plate in the important games. Tendu - choke.

All the series vs Pakistan 2004-2007. Dravid and Sehwag stepping up to the plate. Tendu - choke.

DRS - choke

vs Aus (Tests)- Choke

vs Ind (Tests) - Choke

in Aus (Tests) - Choke

in Ind (Tests) - Choke

96 WC QF - Most hilarious choke where Ajay Jadeja belted him all around the park.

03 WC vs Aus - Choke, where Symonds manhandled him so bad that he started bowling deliberate beamers.

03 WC vs India - Choke, where Tendulkar whipped him so bad, he was booed out of the ground by his own fans at the presentation ceremony.

99’ Test series in India - Choke, averaging a hilarious 76 with the ball.

Let’s face it, the 96’ WC QF haunts you so bad, you still haven’t got over the humiliation that choker had to face that day.

Last edited:
vs Aus (Tests)- Choke

vs Ind (Tests) - Choke

in Aus (Tests) - Choke

in Ind (Tests) - Choke

96 WC QF - Most hilarious choke where Ajay Jadeja belted him all around the park.

03 WC vs Aus - Choke, where Symonds manhandled him so bad that he started bowling deliberate beamers.

03 WC vs India - Choke, where Tendulkar whipped him so bad, he was booed out of the ground by his own fans at the presentation ceremony.

99’ Test series in India - Choke, averaging a hilarious 76 with the ball.

Let’s face it, the 96’ WC QF haunts you so bad, you still haven’t got over the humiliation that choker had to face that day.

I posted facts - your last line is an opinion. A very emotional one. Let me get the violins out

I posted facts - your last line is an opinion. A very emotional one. Let me get the violins out

What I posted are facts as well. As for the last line, he choked so bad that even mentioning it gets you knickers in a twist. Nothing to be embarrassed about, it was at least less humiliating than when he started bowling deliberate beamers to Symonds like a sour loser.

What I posted are facts as well. As for the last line, he choked so bad that even mentioning it gets you knickers in a twist. Nothing to be embarrassed about, it was at least less humiliating than when he started bowling deliberate beamers to Symonds like a sour loser.

It’s sore loser not sour!

I loved his beamers to Symonds - shows passion!

I forgot:

First test - Waqar 4 wickets. Tendu - choke

First overseas Yorkshire player - choke

Sightscreen - choke

I forgot:

Sightscreen - choke

Even I forgot, caught twice with his pants down trying to steal wickets. Nothing surprising, that’s how he made his career till 1994. And once things got serious with more scrutiny, we all know how he performed since then.

By the way, rated below Brett Lee by the greatest overall bowler the world has ever seen. How does that taste?

I forgot:

Sightscreen - choke

Oh, one played 5 WC games against Pakistan, and won MOM in 3 of them. The other played 2 WC games against India, choked in both of them.

Even I forgot, caught twice with his pants down trying to steal wickets. Nothing surprising, that’s how he made his career till 1994. And once things got serious with more scrutiny, we all know how he performed since then.

By the way, rated below Brett Lee by the greatest overall bowler the world has ever seen. How does that taste?

You caught him with his pants down - wow! Impressive stalking. But please this is a family show, don’t post stuff like this here.

It’s cool if Warne rated Brett Lee higher. Im a Brett Lee fan. Everyone has an opinion, it’s no big deal

Oh, one played 5 WC games against Pakistan, and won MOM in 3 of them. The other played 2 WC games against India, choked in both of them.

Come on man - this is getting childish. I think everyone else is getting bored with this.

You caught him with his pants down - wow! Impressive stalking. But please this is a family show, don’t post stuff like this here.

It’s cool if Warne rated Brett Lee higher. Im a Brett Lee fan. Everyone has an opinion, it’s no big deal

It’s one thing being caught with your pants down, another when you are caught so trying to steal wickets. No wonder he started choking as soon as umpires started to observe things with more scrutiny.

As for Warne’s opinion, it’s the opinion of someone who played alongside him, and of someone who is arguable the greatest bowler ever. That’s how much respect the Aussies have for that choker.

Come on man - this is getting childish. I think everyone else is getting bored with this.

Not at all. You are running out of replies. That’s what’s happening. You can’t defend your choker here, you have no arguments. That’s what’s happening.

Not just Sachin Tendulkar, but most of the batters Akhtar bowled to will have felt uncomfortable facing him when he was fit and firing on all cylinders.

Sadly those great days for Akhtar were few and far between.

Not at all. You are running out of replies. That’s what’s happening. You can’t defend your choker here, you have no arguments. That’s what’s happening.

This thread is about Sachin trembling against Shoaib. Feel free to start another one and I shall find time to respond to you there.

This thread is about Sachin trembling against Shoaib. Feel free to start another one and I shall find time to respond to you there.

No, the thread is about Shoaib claiming that Sachin felt uncomfortable playing him.

Anyways, I have better things to do than create threads about insignificant cricketers.

Ugh - another “pace without line length” comment. Thanks for pointing out the obvious

Look Sachin used to hammer Shoaib from what I remember. Shoaib was overrated giving heavy runs away through out his career. This show pony who thought being a playboy was a great accomplishment had no line and length. If I am skipper given a chance to choose between Sachin and Shoaib I would choose Sachin 100 times out of 101. Shaoib wasn't even world class in my opinion rather a crock who was always injured.

Look Sachin used to hammer Shoaib from what I remember. Shoaib was overrated giving heavy runs away through out his career. This show pony who thought being a playboy was a great accomplishment had no line and length. If I am skipper given a chance to choose between Sachin and Shoaib I would choose Sachin 100 times out of 101. Shaoib wasn't even world class in my opinion rather a crock who was always injured.

I don’t remember many times Sachin hammered shoaib. Looks like you only watched the 2003 WC game - and that was one over.

With Sachin it’s always perception vs reality. People seem to think he was this dominant batsman - he was a very good, steady batsman with good technique, but he wasn’t a destroyer like Lara, Ponting, Sehwag and co

Sehwag hammered shoaib more, even Dravid. Sachin didn’t do much “hammering” apart from that one game.

Injury problems I agree. Shoaib was injured quite regularly. Maybe it was his physical issues, maybe laziness, prob a combination.

But to say he had no line and length is completely wrong. It’s more accurate to say he didn’t play as much as he should have, but when he did, he was amazing. His average is good and his strike rate is only second to the likes of Steyn, Waqar, Marshall.

If you don’t like the guy, then fine - but let’s not make up stories

Last edited:
I don’t remember many times Sachin hammered shoaib. Looks like you only watched the 2003 WC game - and that was one over.

With Sachin it’s always perception vs reality. People seem to think he was this dominant batsman - he was a very good, steady batsman with good technique, but he wasn’t a destroyer like Lara, Ponting, Sehwag and co

Sehwag hammered shoaib more, even Dravid. Sachin didn’t do much “hammering” apart from that one game.

Injury problems I agree. Shoaib was injured quite regularly. Maybe it was his physical issues, maybe laziness, prob a combination.

But to say he had no line and length is completely wrong. It’s more accurate to say he didn’t play as much as he should have, but when he did, he was amazing. His average is good and his strike rate is only second to the likes of Steyn, Waqar, Marshall.

If you don’t like the guy, then fine - but let’s not make up stories

I do recall Sachin hammering Shoaib to all parts. Shoaib was all talk and no action mostly half decent against tailenders.

"With Sachin it’s always perception vs reality. People seem to think he was this dominant batsman - he was a very good, steady batsman with good technique, but he wasn’t a destroyer like Lara, Ponting, Sehwag and co" Sachin proved himself repeatedly scoring runs wherever he went. You don't score as many runs without scoring heavily against all opposition.

Shoaib only had speed the odd time when he was half fit. He was one of the most overrated fast bowlers off all time as one Australian cricket article rightfully said some years back, I accept that as a person I don't like him much but my views on his cricket career are unrelated to that. He can't be compared to the likes to the great West Indian's or even the two W's.

I do recall Sachin hammering Shoaib to all parts. Shoaib was all talk and no action mostly half decent against tailenders.

"With Sachin it’s always perception vs reality. People seem to think he was this dominant batsman - he was a very good, steady batsman with good technique, but he wasn’t a destroyer like Lara, Ponting, Sehwag and co" Sachin proved himself repeatedly scoring runs wherever he went. You don't score as many runs without scoring heavily against all opposition.

Shoaib only had speed the odd time when he was half fit. He was one of the most overrated fast bowlers off all time as one Australian cricket article rightfully said some years back, I accept that as a person I don't like him much but my views on his cricket career are unrelated to that. He can't be compared to the likes to the great West Indian's or even the two W's.

Scoring heavily doesn’t mean you hammer bowlers. He was a little accumulator with good technique and put the bad balls away.

With regards to shoaib seems like you spent more time watching Gerard Houllier and liverpool than cricket at that time! Your “recollection” doesn’t compute.

Scoring heavily doesn’t mean you hammer bowlers. He was a little accumulator with good technique and put the bad balls away.

With regards to shoaib seems like you spent more time watching Gerard Houllier and liverpool than cricket at that time! Your “recollection” doesn’t compute.

Now you are just talking for the sake off it. Sachin is the highest run scorer in ODI's and Tests where as Shoaib is no way near any record. That Sachin didn't hammer any bowler is even more nonsensical when he made fielders from all countries including Pak chase the ball everywhere. You are just a biased Shoaib Akhtar fan who can's see past him. Your annoying, overrated and irritating fast bowler was mostly making the headlines for the wrong reasons like fight in nightclubs when Sachin was breaking record after record. It is only because Sachin is Indian that you refuse to acknowledge his greatness.

Now you are just talking for the sake off it. Sachin is the highest run scorer in ODI's and Tests where as Shoaib is no way near any record. That Sachin didn't hammer any bowler is even more nonsensical when he made fielders from all countries including Pak chase the ball everywhere. You are just a biased Shoaib Akhtar fan who can's see past him. Your annoying, overrated and irritating fast bowler was mostly making the headlines for the wrong reasons like fight in nightclubs when Sachin was breaking record after record. It is only because Sachin is Indian that you refuse to acknowledge his greatness.

I don’t hate Shoaib, never have. He has always been positive towards Indian players.

But I’d like to quote the late Tony Greig here, who said it back in around 2007, that Shoaib was nothing but an embarrassment to the game.

I don’t hate Shoaib, never have. He has always been positive towards Indian players.

But I’d like to quote the late Tony Greig here, who said it back in around 2007, that Shoaib was nothing but an embarrassment to the game.

Yeah I also remember an article by the Aussies saying how Shoaib was no way near being called even a legend in Cricket. He was injury prone due to his lifestyle that was indisciplined, overrated and a trouble maker always fighting with his team mates. I didn't like him as a person or a player.

He is no way near Sachin as a cricketer. No one will remember Shoaib's contribution to the game because he contributed nothing.

Yeah I also remember an article by the Aussies saying how Shoaib was no way near being called even a legend in Cricket. He was injury prone due to his lifestyle that was indisciplined, overrated and a trouble maker always fighting with his team mates. I didn't like him as a person or a player.

He is no way near Sachin as a cricketer. No one will remember Shoaib's contribution to the game because he contributed nothing.

Of course the Aussies don’t rate him. Here are his numbers against the 2 best batting line ups of his time, Australia and India, in Tests -

Aus - 35.64 (ave); SR - 56.4

Ind - 34.50 (ave); SR - 61.9

His numbers against Australia are even worse than Waqar’s. Have a look at his strike rate against India.

Nah, he hammered bowlers plenty before slowing down a bit in later half.

Look at 90s, only 3 openers with 30+ avg and 85+ SR. All 3 were very explosive.

opener.jpg

Of course the Aussies don’t rate him. Here are his numbers against the 2 best batting line ups of his time, Australia and India, in Tests -

Aus - 35.64 (ave); SR - 56.4

Ind - 34.50 (ave); SR - 61.9

His numbers against Australia are even worse than Waqar’s. Have a look at his strike rate against India.

Most Pakistanis like him because of his silly haircut and wannabe gangster attitude that he had. He was only half decent against tailenders otherwise top batsmen hammered him to all parts. He was just a show off with his world tour run up.

Most Pakistanis like him because of his silly haircut and wannabe gangster attitude that he had. He was only half decent against tailenders otherwise top batsmen hammered him to all parts. He was just a show off with his world tour run up.

I've never understood how grown men can be a fan of that trouble making premadonna.

SRT matching Jaya for number of sixes in 90s. SRT was very explosive for a very long time. These two batsmen had highest number of sixes in 90s.

sixes.jpg

Last edited:
I've never understood how grown men can be a fan of that trouble making premadonna.

Partly coz they are too young to have seen the real world class fast bowlers like Marshall. Lillee, Holding, Akram, Waqar, McGrath, Donald, Hadlee, Steyn, Thompson and even Imran Khan.

Last edited:
Partly coz they are too young to have seen the real word class fast bowlers like Marshall. Lillee, Holding, Akram, Waqar, McGrath, Hadlee, Steyn even Imran Khan.

Remembering Wasim Akram revelling how he cried to his captain in the 03’ WC after being hammered by Tendulkar saying, “Mujse bowling nahin ho rahi hain”? Akram said that he never saw anyone apart from Shoaib refusing to bowl after being hammered by a batsman.

How can you say he contributed nothing. He won an odi series vs top Aussie side in Australia. No other team could do it apart from s.africa.
He also contributed in 1999 and test series wins. Sure he dint perform as well away but look whom he bowled with. Sami and lots of bad bowlers. Kaneira was the only other good bowler to support him.

Partly coz they are too young to have seen the real world class fast bowlers like Marshall. Lillee, Holding, Akram, Waqar, McGrath, Donald, Hadlee, Steyn, Thompson and even Imran Khan.

I don’t think any sane person rates shoaib above any of these bowlers (apart from Thompson). He didn’t have a career comparable to any of these guys.

Shoaib can be criticised for many things. His lifestyle, his attitude, his injury problems, laziness. For the sheer number of matches he missed he will never be considered a “great”. And I have no problem with that or admitting that.

My point is simply that when he played he was a serious bowler who challenged all batsmen not just some raw quickie without line and length who only got hammered around the park.

Your opinion of him being someone who got hammered consistently will be in the minority. I think most people without bias will admit to my paragraph above.

You can love Sachin all you want. But your posts and reading of the game seem very naive and just based on perceptions and bias. And even your personal bias is not based on any research you’ve done. You just look at perception and follow it like sheep.

How can you say he contributed nothing. He won an odi series vs top Aussie side in Australia. No other team could do it apart from s.africa.
He also contributed in 1999 and test series wins. Sure he dint perform as well away but look whom he bowled with. Sami and lots of bad bowlers. Kaneira was the only other good bowler to support him.

No where near enough to be called world class. Not even close.

I don’t think any sane person rates shoaib above any of these bowlers (apart from Thompson). He didn’t have a career comparable to any of these guys.

Shoaib can be criticised for many things. His lifestyle, his attitude, his injury problems, laziness. For the sheer number of matches he missed he will never be considered a “great”. And I have no problem with that or admitting that.

My point is simply that when he played he was a serious bowler who challenged all batsmen not just some raw quickie without line and length who only got hammered around the park.

Your opinion of him being someone who got hammered consistently will be in the minority. I think most people without bias will admit to my paragraph above.

You can love Sachin all you want. But your posts and reading of the game seem very naive and just based on perceptions and bias. And even your personal bias is not based on any research you’ve done. You just look at perception and follow it like sheep.

"My point is simply that when he played he was a serious bowler who challenged all batsmen not just some raw quickie without line and length who only got hammered around the park." Is there any fast bowler who did not have these qualities?

Naive? That comes from a so called fan who makes ridiculous comments to justify he love for an injury prone, gangster wannabe trouble make is rich. Sachin is not only loved by me but most real Cricket fans who know anything about the game. His record speaks for himself. It is a fact that not my imagination that Sachin is the highest scorer in Tests and ODI'S.

Right that is was never world class now go one step further and admit that he was a waste of time.

SRT matching Jaya for number of sixes in 90s. SRT was very explosive for a very long time. These two batsmen had highest number of sixes in 90s.

View attachment 116201

Here we go with statistical yoga. Look at the difference in average. Obviously sachin batted longer and made more runs so he had more opportunity to hit more sixes. Jaya did his business and got out.

Here’s a bit of statistical yoga for you:

Even with the stats you posted - jaya’s sixes make up 2.2% of his runs

For Tendulkar, his sixes make up 1.3%

So Jayasuriya was pretty much twice as likely to hit sixes than Sachin. Obviously Sachin was a better player overall - and I don’t mind admitting that, but jayasuriya without a shadow of a doubt was more destructive

That’s an accurate description of the difference of the two batsmen.

And here lies the problem with Sachin fans. You want him to be the best statistically, the best technically, the most destructive, the biggest matchwinner, the alpha male of batting, the most solid of the solid, the most aesthetically pleasing.
You want him to be more destructive than Gayle, Jaya and Gilly, more solid than Dravid, more pleasing to the eye than Gower, Lara, Laxman and Saeed. And to prove your point you will come up with all these random stats, twist and turn them to try and prove some point
I would much rather his fans sometimes do critique him a little rather than have this rose tinted view of him about everything.

I’m sorry he wasn’t all of those things - and it’s not even possible. Stop this obsessiveness

Shoaib Akhtar and Sachin Tendulkar have faced each other a number of times on the field and both have got the better of each on a number of occasions. Shoaib has said a number of times in the past that he regards Tendulkar as among the greatest cricketers of all time.

Shoaib had the last laugh the first time the two players faced each other in a Test match in Kolkata. Tendulkar had scored centuries in two of his previous for Test matches and was in red-hot form going into the match. However, Shoaib ended up bowling a yorker to the India great and got him out off his very first ball of the match.

Recalling the occasion, Shoaib said that he had spoken to teammate and Pakistan spin legend Saqlain Mushtaq about Tendulkar. “I remember asking, who is this god of cricket? He says, it's Sachin Tendulkar. I told Saqlain, what if I dismiss him. He said, I have dismissed him in the last two Test matches and at Eden Gardens, and of course throughout the country, there is a lot of love for Sachin. But there they were very passionate about him. So Saqlain and I were having a bit of an argument about who is going to get Sachin out,” said Shoaib on Sportskeeda.

“(Rahul) Dravid got out and in came Sachin. That is when I realised that the noise level was such that it would burst my ears. It was so loud and it was something I was experiencing for the first time. When there is around one lakh people cheering while Sachin is walking out, people would have thought Shoaib Akhtar is about to be walloped. Saqlain was saying, your time has come, you going to let him go? I said no way I am letting him go,” said Shoaib.

Shoaib said that the fact that Tendulkar was taking his own time to get to the crease and get ready only increased the anticipation.

"Sachin was walking in very slow, his walk was not getting over. I turned around went to the start of my run up and turned back and even then he wasn't ready. He was getting ready and (Pakistan captain) Wasim Akram was telling me Shebby don't miss the line at all. Make sure that your reverse swing is ending on the wickets and bowl with everything you have got. I was quite anxious about getting him out. I remember quite clearly that I was thinking what to bowl to him. I knew what to bowl but there was so much sound, Wasim bhai was trying to talk to me and I was telling him that I can't hear him. Then he started talking in gestures and I said, don't do that he will understand what I am about to do.

“This was the kind of atmosphere and finally Sachin got ready. I started running in and I was completely focused on him. If he moved even a little bit, I would have been able to catch that. The ball went all the way to the crease, I made no mistake in my run-up, jump or action. I released the ball, Sachin lifted his bat and then, gone. He had a very high lift and the ball was reversing a lot. The ball that I bowled, I knew it would hit the stumps. I was not surprised and you would see that. After the almighty, it is probably Sachin who made me a star because of that incident,” said Shoaib.

Shoaib said that the massive crowd at the Eden Gardens was completely silenced by that wicket.

“The crowd was silenced, you would be hearing only our voices in the broadcast. You will see in the video that Saqlain is celebrating the most with me. He was very happy for me,” he said.

Hindustan Times

No one regards Shoaib as an all time great. He was always generally unfit due to leading an undisciplined lifestyle. We used to hear of him playing cards late in to the night on the morning of a Test. No way would he even be in the top 20 best quickies off all time. Even the surgeons must have been fed up operating on his knee's, back, ankles and what not. I was so chuffed the day he retired.

No one regards Shoaib as an all time great. He was always generally unfit due to leading an undisciplined lifestyle. We used to hear of him playing cards late in to the night on the morning of a Test. No way would he even be in the top 20 best quickies off all time. Even the surgeons must have been fed up operating on his knee's, back, ankles and what not. I was so chuffed the day he retired.

I think he would make top 20

You are being unreasonable here. He played in a far weaker side incapable of winning major games vs top teams. Carrying the entire attack by himself.

Wasim had Waqar and imran earlier to support him.

Who did shaoaib have? He did well for a bowler with zero support.

Averaging 25 is no joke. Tests ofocurse.

Look at every other great bowler in that time, they always had ample support.

Mcgrath Gillespie Warne Lee
Pollock nitini steyn
Hoggard Harrison Flintoff Jones which was very underrated in that time.

Who did shoaib have? You have to factor that in. If he had support like the other teams, his record would be so much superior. Perhaps sub 23 level.

You are being unreasonable here. He played in a far weaker side incapable of winning major games vs top teams. Carrying the entire attack by himself.

Pollock nitini steyn

Who did shoaib have? You have to factor that in. If he had support like the other teams, his record would be so much superior. Perhaps sub 23 level.

What support did Richard Hadlee have? Have you looked at his numbers?

Summing up SHOIAB AKHTER: Its all "I-ME-MYSELF" and "STAR-BRAND-MARKETING"

.. never have I ever come across him say "I LOVED THE SPORT"

Pollock nitini steyn

Great bowlers are mostly self made. Most of them do have support like Marshall had Holding and Brett Lee had Glenn McGrath. Thing is a bowler needs to be disciplined like a good student he has to be willing to learn. Shoaib for much of his career did play with Wasim and Waqar whenever he was not injured!

His injury record was pathetic too further handicapping his so called ability. Most fast bowlers did learn their craft from a fast bowler even if they shared a short period with them on the field. Imran Khan learnt from John Snow and Mike Procter so it does not even have to be a team mate.

Let's not forget Kapil Dev who had no team mate to learn from either. He may not have been express pace but was still a much better bowler then the disgrace that was Shoaib.

What support did Richard Hadlee have? Have you looked at his numbers?

Except most of his wickets were on beautiful greentops in NZ and England perfectly suited to his bowling. Hadlee never did the hard yards on dead tracks in pakistan like Imran, Wasim, Waqar and Shoaib.

Except most of his wickets were on beautiful greentops in NZ and England perfectly suited to his bowling. Hadlee never did the hard yards on dead tracks in pakistan like Imran, Wasim, Waqar and Shoaib.

I agree support matters. Had Kapil Dev or Srinath gotten the support, they would have averaged under 25 too.

I agree support matters. Had Kapil Dev or Srinath gotten the support, they would have averaged under 25 too.

Yes I don’t know about what average they would have ended with but I do feel for both of them especially Srinath. A very good bowler with good pace. Unfortunately he could not concentrate solely on his pace. He had to operate as a controlling bowler too.

I rate Srinath very highly

Correct analysis.

I would like to see your top 20.

In no particular order.

Marshall, Akram, Holding, Lillee, Thompson, Garner, Roberts, Kapil, Steyn, Donald, Broad, Anderson, McGrath, Hadlee, Pollock, Waqar, Sarfaraz, Bond, Vaas, Brett Lee, Morkel, Walsh and Ambrose to name just a few.

In no particular order.

Marshall, Akram, Holding, Lillee, Thompson, Garner, Roberts, Kapil, Steyn, Donald, Broad, Anderson, McGrath, Hadlee, Pollock, Waqar, Sarfaraz, Bond, Vaas, Brett Lee, Morkel, Walsh and Ambrose to name just a few.

No way is Lee,Morkel and Shane bond the one who's only played less than 20 test match games better than Akhtar.

No way is Lee,Morkel and Shane bond the one who's only played less than 20 test match games better than Akhtar.

Not Pollock, Waqar, sarfraz c'mon??, vaas lol. None of these are better than shoaib.

They are for me. You asked my choice and i gave it to you. At least they will be fit unlike that crock and show off Shoaib.

Trust me this guy is really funny.

Btw West Indies back in their hey days used to bowl lots of no balls, beamers and bouncers. Unlimited bouncer rule. Factor that too. Shoaib would have been more deadly in that era. None of those batsman have faced someone like shoaib at 150 clicks. Give him option to bowl unlimited bouncers/no balls lol. What do you think would happend?

By the way I forgot to mention the brilliant Craig McDermott, Jason Gillespie and Merv Hughes. Shoaib would never be in my side if I am captain.

By the way I forgot to mention the brilliant Craig McDermott, Jason Gillespie and Merv Hughes. Shoaib would never be in my side if I am captain.

Actually Jason is very underrated. I can see the logic there. Jason is a top tier bowler. Played very few games though.
The other Aussie that's underrated is damo Fleming.

Btw West Indies back in their hey days used to bowl lots of no balls, beamers and bouncers. Unlimited bouncer rule. Factor that too. Shoaib would have been more deadly in that era. None of those batsman have faced someone like shoaib at 150 clicks. Give him option to bowl unlimited bouncers/no balls lol. What do you think would happend?

I agree he would have been more deadly In that era however the batters in that era were very good.

Not a fan of shaoib but we also know your chatting absolute crap.

And you are talking complete garbage by defending an injury prone gangster wannabe who took 178 Test wickets only.

Back