"Sachin Tendulkar felt 'uncomfortable' while facing me." : Shoaib Akhtar

I think the title of this thread is very misleading. Akhtar said a lot of good things about Sachin in this interview. No wonder people like the above poster are getting worked up and posting trash.

I think the title of this thread is very misleading. Akhtar said a lot of good things about Sachin in this interview. No wonder people like the above poster are getting worked up and posting trash.

I agree however only this type of title could make people interested in certain threads :malik

Re: Shoaib Akhtar backtracks on claims Sachin feared him

No backtracking here tbh

Re: "Sachin felt 'uncomfortable' while facing me." : Shoaib Akhtar

Basically, yes.

No matter how great a batsman is everyone will be uncomfortable facing at 160K ball. I do not see any disrespect to Sachin.

Last edited:
SRT never said any thing bad about opponents, What a decent man.
Gentlemen's game lost a true gentleman.

I think it was Afridi that made the infamous 'taange kaanpti' line, wasn't it?

Akhtar, to my knowledge, only said that Tendulkar was uncomfortable facing his pace during the tennis elbow era.
yes :afridi

Its quite natural to feel a bit uncomfortable against the extreme pace that Shoaib bowled at. Sachin was only human and its not an insult to say he might have felt a few jitters.

On the whole he handled pace bowling very well and Akhtar acknowledges this.

Agree to all the points you have mentioned. I would even concede that Akhtar was indeed one of the most difficult bowlers SRT would have faced. But what Akhtar won't acknowledge is that unlike him, Sachin never chickened out. When Akhtar was hit for 18 runs in 1 over in 2003 WC match, he had this to say to Wasim - "mujhe bowling nahi ho rhi"...yea, good going phantom..Then he didn't come to bowl for the next 10-12 overs..As i said, Akhtar at his peak was excellent, but he was never as good or as significant as he would like the people to believe.

I agree. His wickets tally is testament to this.

It's sad because Akhtar despite his extreme pace wasn't a brainless Sami type hurl 'em kind of bowler. He was actually a pretty smart bowler. He had added a good slower ball, used bouncers, yorkers, etc. He had good variations as well. It was his off-the-field issues which ruined his career. Hence although his record looks good, he could have been much better.

probably the most exciting bowler to have played cricket in late 90's, any batsmen would be uncomfortable to face that kind of pace.

If you think he was scared of him then, he wouldnt have Bashed Akthar in WC2003. The first six was murder! And about the match in which sachin got bowled to akthar, was Coz he never faced him. And that delivery was Fast and direct on stumps. He dint expected that. What afridi said was nonsense as usual. When a 16yr old was not afraid of the W's then y would he be scared of Shoaib?

If you think he was scared of him then, he wouldnt have Bashed Akthar in WC2003. The first six was murder! And about the match in which sachin got bowled to akthar, was Coz he never faced him. And that delivery was Fast and direct on stumps. He dint expected that. What afridi said was nonsense as usual. When a 16yr old was not afraid of the W's then y would he be scared of Shoaib?

Well cricket is a game in which a player can have his day. If you say SRT bashed akhtar all over the park in 03 than the same akhtar handed him his first and probably the only golden duck in tests.

Its not Sachin's fault even in his dreams he's never faced an Indian bowler in the nets bowling at 150k+. :nehra

Akthar owned him in most of the battles.

Its not Sachin's fault even in his dreams he's never faced an Indian bowler in the nets bowling at 150k+. :nehra

Akthar owned him in most of the battles.

Not sure about Sachin's dreams, but you certainly are dreaming if you actually believe what you wrote. Check how much SRT averaged in matches when Shoaib played. Like a confident champion, SRT doesn't stand on the rooftop talking about his achievements, he let the numbers speak. Those who are good, don't say that "believe me, i m good" OR "mujhse bowling nahi ho rhi", when hit out of the ground.

Not sure about Sachin's dreams, but you certainly are dreaming if you actually believe what you wrote. Check how much SRT averaged in matches when Shoaib played. Like a confident champion, SRT doesn't stand on the rooftop talking about his achievements, he let the numbers speak. Those who are good, don't say that "believe me, i m good" OR "mujhse bowling nahi ho rhi", when hit out of the ground.

Possibly due to his squeaky voice? :hafeez

Checking the average when Akhtar played is pretty stupid because he would have also faced other bowlers, that's how cricket works in the rest of the world.

I suggest you read this thread for player v player stats. An average of 28 against Akhtar proves he had issues against the great bowler.

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=135348

Checking the average when Akhtar played is pretty stupid because he would have also faced other bowlers, that's how cricket works in the rest of the world.

I suggest you read this thread for player v player stats. An average of 28 against Akhtar proves he had issues against the great bowler.

Yeah great logic.

SRT smashed Akhtar in the World Cup 2003 and Akhtar went off the attack.

Later he came when Sachin had hamstring or whatever and he picked up his wicket.

So his average would be around 20-25 for that match.

What does that say?

Player vs Player average is stupid (in a lot of cases).

General average while a player is playing is fine (that's also not accurate but its more reliable that player vs player average).

With that being said, Akhtar did get the better of Sachin a lot of times. No questions about it.

Last edited:
"Sachin felt 'uncomfortable' while facing me." : Shoaib Akhtar

Lol. Wadda aaya Secret opener.

Aur Speed Demon Mohali mai kaha chup ke betha tha ? Sachin and Sehwag were out in the middle for the last battle , guess what the Rawalpindi Express chickened out due to the fear of repeat of Centurion. What a beast !

Ajmal was enuf for Tendulkar in Mohali, technology and our fielders were on so called masts blasta side, masts blasta was pasta fiesta that day, didn't have an iota of clue which way Ajmal was going to spin,

Sachin retired because of Ajmal in ODIs. Now I have heard everything. Didn't think Ajmalistas would sink so low. I mean the man made 2 fifties against Pakistan in the games Ajmal dismissed him. If that's owning, then I want every batsman in my team to be owned like that :19:

Leave Akhtar alone, the guy is just showing sachin some respect as the legend is about to retire

Then why dont a couple of them play for Pakistan. Batting lineup could use that type of batting talent as of today ???????

PCB and more importantly Akhtar himself ruined one of the best World Class fast bowler.

I really loved Akhtar's fast bowling but his preference changed dramatically.

Ajmal was enuf for Tendulkar in Mohali, technology and our fielders were on so called masts blasta side, masts blasta was pasta fiesta that day, didn't have an iota of clue which way Ajmal was going to spin,

85 runs.MOM.India Wins.Pakistan goes out of the WC.Enough said.

AKhtar can talk about Sachin with open chest because he tamed :sachin pretty well in tests even though all matches were played on dead tracks. Sachin averages in 30s against :akhtar in India and early 40s in Pakistan mainly due to one big innings on dead multan track. These averages are shameful for a batsman considered better than Bradman by his deluded fans. Except one innings in WC 2003 in pyjama game, :sachin has done nothing against the fastest bowler of all time.
I disagree.....Sachin probably was afraid of almost all bowlers...He just managed to score those 100 tons and 15k+ runs by bieng scared and most of his runs came in edges..... And as far as Akthar is concerned....A frightened Taylor somehow managed to score 100 runs in WC2011 and If i remember correctly Akthar retired after that assualt with honors ;) Happy now:misbah

AKhtar can talk about Sachin with open chest because he tamed :sachin pretty well in tests even though all matches were played on dead tracks. Sachin averages in 30s against :akhtar in India and early 40s in Pakistan mainly due to one big innings on dead multan track. These averages are shameful for a batsman considered better than Bradman by his deluded fans. Except one innings in WC 2003 in pyjama game, :sachin has done nothing against the fastest bowler of all time.

Sure talks cheap anyways and mans got to talk and plenty of it to put food on the table....

:sachin on the other hand........

Did somebody refer to the 2003 World Cup match b/w Pakistan and India, a "pajama" game?

Indian fans are the most emotionally sensitive on earth to take a meaningless and pointless statement to heart
We had seen how you guys react to similar statements about IK, Inzy.
It is same from both side of border.
Both side's REAL fans admire each other's players & that is fact.

We had seen how you guys react to similar statements about IK, Inzy.
It is same from both side of border.
Both side's REAL fans admire each other's players & that is fact.

But we would never burn the stadia when we are losing. I mean :yk

Crowd has been good in India and Pakistan most of the time but at times Indian and Pakistani crowd has been equally pathetic.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/wisdenalmanack/content/story/150767.html [ Only live match to be abandoned due to crowd trouble in history of cricket and that happened in Karachi ]

http://www.espncricinfo.com/wisdenalmanack/content/story/153757.html [ First time a Test match was played after emptying the ground due to crowd trouble and that happened in Kolkota. Same venue had crowd problem earlier ODI and then the match was awarded to SL. ]

Last edited:
Did somebody refer to the 2003 World Cup match b/w Pakistan and India, a "pajama" game?

Oh yes that was ''pajama '' game...how easy...aint it..?

On the other hand miandad last ball six was for very meaningful match...:asif

an average of 28 against a particular bowler is huge..!!!!
Do you realize that multiple batsman can bat in an over. So if a bowler bowls 10 overs, Sachin would probably be facing only like half of those..
There are usually 4 bowlers in a team and if a batsman is averaging 28 against each you are looking at a Bradman-ish average.
Please let me know if there is something I misunderstood in this thing.

Indian fans are the most emotionally sensitive on earth to take a meaningless and pointless statement to heart

There was a time when u used to take every statement against Akhtar to heart reagrdless of those ones merits..do u.remember those days savak...:D

Feels like a lifetime ago. What a difference the retirement of a player can make. Now I will not have peace till the day Misbah is forced out of the team and the team is demisbafied.

So you are on another mission...:misbah_old

Sachin's legs shaking to Akhtar's bowling- do you believe it?

2 accounts of this:

1) In Shoaib Akhtar's Controversially Yours he mentions Sachin's legs used to shake when he was charging in through his run up

2) Shahid Afridi telling Geo News after the book's release, confirming Akhtar's claims. His exact words were (translated): "I saw Sachin's legs literally shaking when Shoaib was bowling and I was fielding at short leg"

Now, remember that for 2), Afridi and Akhtar were in a bit of a feud as Akhtar had also made comments about Afridi, pretty much sparing no one. And despite that, Afridi backed this outrageous claim.

Second point to remember is that there were no other testimonials. No other Pak player came forward, maybe out of respect for a senior retired player, and no comments made from any Indian player counteracting this either. So probably exaggerated. Even though it doesn't seem too off.

Shaking with laughter at Shoaib being fit to play once per year.

I know Sachin used to bow down to Asif. But dunno about this

2 accounts of this:

1) In Shoaib Akhtar's Controversially Yours he mentions Sachin's legs used to shake when he was charging in through his run up

2) Shahid Afridi telling Geo News after the book's release, confirming Akhtar's claims. His exact words were (translated): "I saw Sachin's legs literally shaking when Shoaib was bowling and I was fielding at short leg"

Now, remember that for 2), Afridi and Akhtar were in a bit of a feud as Akhtar had also made comments about Afridi, pretty much sparing no one. And despite that, Afridi backed this outrageous claim.

Second point to remember is that there were no other testimonials. No other Pak player came forward, maybe out of respect for a senior retired player, and no comments made from any Indian player counteracting this either. So probably exaggerated. Even though it doesn't seem too off.
No he didnt say that. Do your research. Only Afridi added this masala. Akhtar said that in a particular test match spell he felt Sachin was scared 0f him

Actually, Wasim did come forward when Akhtar made that statement and rubbished the claim stating AKhtar is being AKhtar.

As for the legs shaking, its hard to see a seasoned great of the game being nervous when all his life he's been at odds with bigger players. He faced Waqar at the age of 16, got smacked on the nose, continued batting and got a fifty. If he was alright as 16 year old debutant, then after conquering everything there was no question of being nervous. Tendulkar was one of the few players who played Akhtar with the utmost ease except for maybe sometimes when he bounced him at an awkward length.

Anyone who says they are not scared of pace are lying. No matter how good a batsman is, no matter how much they score - pace is scary.

Legs shaking is an exaggeration though.

His legs were only shaking beause he was in deep thought about what shot to play against the delivery. It is Sachin we are talking about. 155 kph deliveries took 4 minutes to reach him guys.

The world hardly remembers who Asif was and where he is today or even exists anymore. You can keep cherishing 1 odd delivery that kept low and got the greatest out. Indeed a story to be remembered forever for the guy who did it and for his fans. For the rest of the world though, just one of the 1000s of dismissals of the great one.

Well he was the most difficult bowler according to Kevin Pietersen. World still remembers him for his skills, McGrath v2.

But Sachin also struggled against McGrath, that explains why Asif got the better of him.

Akhtar was one bowler who did trouble Sachin a lot. Can remember watching pakistan vs India games when I 1st started watching cricket I could tell Sachin did not feel comfortable against akhtar

The world hardly remembers who Asif was and where he is today or even exists anymore. You can keep cherishing 1 odd delivery that kept low and got the greatest out. Indeed a story to be remembered forever for the guy who did it and for his fans. For the rest of the world though, just one of the 1000s of dismissals of the great one.

Very well said.

who would ever be comfortable facing the fastest bowler in cricket history ?

Anyone who says they are not scared of pace are lying. No matter how good a batsman is, no matter how much they score - pace is scary.

Legs shaking is an exaggeration though.
There are many many batsman who loves pace because the ball comes nicely on bat. You can ball 160 mph for all they care because they know if they get the bat on ball...it will run away for four. Its the swing, especially when ball swings both ways at decent pace batsman struggle.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Asif was a talented bowler but at the end of the day he took only 160 wickets across 3 formats in 5 years and was extremely average in 2 of them (33+ average in ODIs, 8 RPO in T20s). (Agarkar took 350+ in only 2 formats, as a comparison!)

Even in tests if you take out SL (Asif was genuinely good against the Lankans), he averaged around 27 which isn't great considering the talent he had.

There are many many batsman who loves pace because the ball comes nicely on bat. You can ball 160 mph for all they care because they know if they get the bat on ball...it will run away for four. Its the swing, especially when ball swings both ways at decent pace batsman struggle.

really ? didn't know batsman loved facing deliveries at 160+ consistently :irfan

You somehow reminded me of Jon Snow from GoT by this post.

Sachin was a beast and is one of the best ever. No doubt about that.

However, it's ridiculous that everyone needs to keep praising him constantly to get/retain their media jobs in India

Looks like shoaib doesn't have very good memory. Someone should remind him about 2003 world cup and how he was taken to the cleaners by the master blaster :sachin

Looks like shoaib doesn't have very good memory. Someone should remind him about 2003 world cup and how he was taken to the cleaners by the master blaster :sachin

He can reply with the first ball duck he dealt to Sachin in front of 100,000 screaming fans

Let me step in here

1. The term God being used for a man is offensive to Muslims
2. The discussion has now become mud-sling match

This thread is now being cleaned up - suggest you do not make any references to God on this thread.

I am sure a lot of players were uncomfortable facing Shoaib Akhatr.

First in 1999, akhtar's yorker shook sachin's confidence so bad that his entire world cup was a mess. Did not score any impressive runs against nz aus and sa.

Then the second time in 2006 when Akhtar hit sachin with a bouncer, he :bean was 70% finished. :))) :)))

I don't know about being scared or not but with that pace sometimes when you are not in the best of form you do think about it more than you would otherwise..
But Sachin overall his career did play Akhtar quite well it was not like he was akhtars bunny or anything so all thes claims even if true means moot coz the end result was not in favour of Akhtar..

Nah buddy some batsman love pace but 160kmph is something else... There's like handful of deliveries bowled at that pace ever no batsman would be comfortable facing such pace regularly, coz no one is used to facing such pace.. Your comments about batsman enjoying pace is fine if pace is around 150kph

He can reply with the first ball duck he dealt to Sachin in front of 100,000 screaming fans

True Sachin's memory needs to be refreshed about a footnote in his career but unfortunately that footnote (even if it qualifies as that) has built a legacy for another player lol

Even though Lee was as fast or maybe quicker at times, Shoaib's suspect action made him difficult to pick

True Sachin's memory needs to be refreshed about a footnote in his career but unfortunately that footnote (even if it qualifies as that) has built a legacy for another player lol

Yea that wasn't a footnote

Getting out first ball to Shoaibs first ever ball to him is reminded to him and the world annually

Yea that wasn't a footnote

Getting out first ball to Shoaibs first ever ball to him is reminded to him and the world annually

Obviously it's not a footnote in Akthar's legacy as I said.

That's probably his most cherished moment that defined his career getting sachin and then Dravid 2 of the games all time greats.

Makes sense I mean let's say someone like hrishikesh Kanitkar ...apart from that last ball 4 chasing 300+ off Saqlain I don't even know any other Kanitkar performance....Kanitkar legacy is built on that.

Apart from those 2 deliveries and his 100mph ball is he even famous for any other memorable cricketing moments outside Pakistan?

Good for Shoaib that he made some extra money using Sachin's name by making outrageous claims lol....this is the same guy who made fun of his team mates on indian television with stories probably that cannot be validated either.

Last edited:
Starsports have made a package on Sachin's innings in 2003 World cup. Wasim Akram talks about the first over of Akhtar when Sachin smashed him for six. "Akhtar went to Waqar and said I cant bowl (meray se bowling nahi horahi)"
I wonder with the way you translate.

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

Shami averages less than Shoaib in ODIs. Ashwin and Jadeja average less than Shoaib in tests, with Ashwin having just 2 less wickets in 14 less matches.

Yea I hope you guys have a long history of Shami and Jadejas. (they dont have a large enough and varied sample size and i was talking about pacers anyways though)

Ashwin is boss though and may become India's best ever spinner which would be some achievement

Last edited:
Akhtar averaged 25 away from home and crossed the 100 MPH barrier. He had freakish talent.

I don't see any Indian bowler ever doing any of the two above!

Meh... Wasim has said it was Shoaib who chickened out after getting smacked by Sachin in 2003 world cup. :))

I know Sachin used to bow down to Asif. But dunno about this

Then you must have remembered both Wasim and Imran bowing down to the same batsman in the same match..

First I was gonna back Shoaib, but have taken back my support.

This man went on an Indian TV channel and mocked his own teammates and laid down like a doormat to Indian audience, the same Shoaib who was supposed to be the Indian heartbreaker was bandaging and petting their hearts.

Yes he got smashed, and now he is trying to sound tough.

Waqar. Wasim, asif,ajmal,razzaq,amir and saqlainand finally akthar all made Sachin a bunny agreed. Then how come from 1992 world cup to 2011 world cup they could not stop a streak.

Waqar. Wasim, asif,ajmal,razzaq,amir and saqlainand finally akthar all made Sachin a bunny agreed. Then how come from 1992 world cup to 2011 world cup they could not stop a streak.

Since he was everyone's bunny, the Pakistani bowlers fought among themselves who will take his wicket. While they were fighting, tendu kept scoring.

Shoaib Akhtar spoke on TV tonight - following are quotes from his appearance.

"I never said that Sachin Tendulkar was scared of my bowling. I only said he felt 'uncomfortable' while facing me." Shoaib Akhtar

"Sachin Tendulkar is must for Indian youngsters." Shoaib Akhtar

"The BCCI should work with Sachin Tendulkar as a mentor for upcoming players." Shoaib Akhtar

"When I got him out in Kolkata, I was stunned to see the crowd's reaction. I realised Sachin isn't a batsman, he is an institution." Shoaib Akhtar

"Sachin Tendulkar is the greatest player of the world. He changed the entire history of cricket." Shoaib Akhtar

"I used to feel proud whenever I got him out and it was a great feeling not to be hit out of the park." Shoaib Akhtar

"Sachin was a nightmare for the opposition, a complete nightmare." Shoaib Akhtar

"I respected a very few players and Sachin Tendulkar was one of them." Shoaib Akhtar

"I never thought of sledging Sachin Tendulkar. I respected him a lot." Shoaib Akhtar

"I reckon Sachin was the most difficult batsman to bowl to." Shoaib Akhtar

"I feel fortunate not to play much against him as he would have ripped through my tactics with ease." Shoaib Akhtar

and more on this in 2021

==

Former Pakistan pacer Shoaib Akhtar has clarified his remarks claiming that Sachin Tendulkar was scared of facing his bowling. The pacer claimed that his comments made in his book were taken out of context.

In an interview with Zee News, Akhtar said, "Once and for all I want to clear this thing, this was all media hype. The thing is that when you write a book, you will then have to explain everything because things are taken out of context. I had said in Faisalabad, he then had that tennis elbow injury because of which he could not hook and pull. So my idea was to bowl short to him and maybe scare him a bit to use that weakness that he had because of tennis elbow. I never wrote Sachin is scared of me, never said he is not a great player."

Akhtar also recalled an incident when he visited Sachin Tendulkar's house in 2016 and how the legendary Indian batsman told him about an incident where he injured Tendulkar

"I have a lot of respect for him and I have even gone to his place in 2016 and told him that. He cooked for me and he is also a great cook and an amazing human being too. I told him what I had written about him and Sachin said, ‘Leave all that whatever it is. You had hit me during a match in Guwahati. Do you know where you had hit me?’ he asked and I said I think it was in your rib cage," said Akhtar.

He added, "Sachin said that night he went to the hospital and found out that he has a fracture in his rib cage and still went on to play against him. He couldn’t breathe and Sourav Ganguly was saying something but he couldn’t breathe. I asked him why didn’t you tell me? and Sachin said, ‘You were on top of me and India were in a spot of bother then. I went to the hospital and found out that I have a fracture on my 12th or 13th rib but I continued playing."

Akhtar and Tendulkar have had some famous encounters in the past which include some of the biggest matches between the arch-rivals. Tendulkar's annihilation of the Pakistani bowling attack which included Akhtar in the 2003 World Cup is regarded as one of the greatest innings in the history of ODI cricket.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...ndulkar-was-scared-of-facing-me-remark/825806

"I have a lot of respect for him and I have even gone to his place in 2016 and told him that. He cooked for me and he is also a great cook and an amazing human being too. I told him what I had written about him and Sachin said, ‘Leave all that whatever it is. You had hit me during a match in Guwahati. Do you know where you had hit me?’ he asked and I said I think it was in your rib cage," said Akhtar.

He added, "Sachin said that night he went to the hospital and found out that he has a fracture in his rib cage and still went on to play against him. He couldn’t breathe and Sourav Ganguly was saying something but he couldn’t breathe. I asked him why didn’t you tell me? and Sachin said, ‘You were on top of me and India were in a spot of bother then. I went to the hospital and found out that I have a fracture on my 12th or 13th rib but I continued playing."

Wow! Just wow. Didn't know this and it shows character of both players.
And here we fans keep insulting both of them by talking nonsense.

Wow! Just wow. Didn't know this and it shows character of both players.
And here we fans keep insulting both of them by talking nonsense.

Shoaib Pheku
If someone fractures rib cage, he cant even stand properly, forget about playing

Back