Shannon Gabriel retires from international cricket at age 36 [Update at post#150]

Great display of pace bowling by him.

Nothing as exhilarating in cricket as watching a high quality spell of genuine pace bowling.

Hope he can remain injury free now. Could be a useful asset in the upcoming test series Vs India

He is one of my favourite bowler right now very good bowler he can be an asset for windies

He is a good bowler, he just needs to get a bit fitter and resolve his no ball issue. After his first spells he seems to drop in pace quite a bit but hopefully he can improve on that.

Gabriel's been beating the bat of Jason Roy and Sam Billings again and again in this first spell.

And now has taken the wicket of Roy.

Getting the ball to seam around and hitting speeds of above 145kph. He's gonna be a real handful for Pakistan next month.

He is PACY.

I hope he plays the next PSL.

Only if WI had some quality batsmen in thier lineup, they could have again become a very decent team and hard to beat at home.

Started well today again, removing Sam Billings for a duck.

Look forward to how he performs in England this summer. Bowling with more control now, will be dangerous with the Dukes. Need a good new ball partner though as Holder is not cutting it, maybe Alzarri Joseph or Miguel Cummins could be.

Good work from the spinners to bring WI back into it, but you can see how toothless the pace attack is when Gabriel is injured.

ENG were struggling at 124-6, but WI as we saw in the UAE v Pakistan sometimes cannot take advantage of a good situation. They also were way short of a competitive total.

Good work from the spinners to bring WI back into it, but you can see how toothless the pace attack is when Gabriel is injured.

ENG were struggling at 124-6, but WI as we saw in the UAE v Pakistan sometimes cannot take advantage of a good situation. They also were way short of a competitive total.

WI also have the wrong combination IMO. Alzarri Joeseph should be playing, fit him in somehow.

This team is far from pathetic. They just need time.

Right now their inexperience makes them pathetic.
They have potential (Hope, Chase, Hetmyer etc) but really inexperience.

Also Gabriel needs better bowling support. Bishoo, Holder etc arent good enough. Specially he needs better spinners.

:uakmal
must be really talented, averaging 37 in test cricket after 24 matches and 29 years of age, bowls a ton of no balls and bad deliveries, fitness is awful as well. Can hit mid 140ks but average pace is 140ks which is exagerrated a lot.

He's a decent bowler, but because he's not Pakistani, he's ultimately a really realy good bowler.

If he was a Pakistani, everyone would have dismissed him by calling him useless.

He's a good bowler, just needs to sort out the no ball issue, and I think he should have another bowler playing with him as well.

:uakmal
must be really talented, averaging 37 in test cricket after 24 matches and 29 years of age, bowls a ton of no balls and bad deliveries, fitness is awful as well. Can hit mid 140ks but average pace is 140ks which is exagerrated a lot.

He's a decent bowler, but because he's not Pakistani, he's ultimately a really realy good bowler.

If he was a Pakistani, everyone would have dismissed him by calling him useless.

Not comparing but Steyn used to be really wayward in the start of his career. But SA persisted with him because they saw potential and results are there to see. On a side note Steyn has much better support and play on lively pitches.

Gabriel is the best WI have. Skillfull bowler.

Not comparing but Steyn used to be really wayward in the start of his career. But SA persisted with him because they saw potential and results are there to see. On a side note Steyn has much better support and play on lively pitches.

Gabriel is the best WI have. Skillfull bowler.

LMAO, Steyn started his career at the age of 20, he had a couple of mediocre matches and he was dropped for a year and then came back a year later and started taking 5fer for fun.

It's a joke to bring an ATG like Steyn in the conversation here.

Gabriel is 29, unfit, and already has a mediocre record after a couple dozen matches, only 1 fiver in his test career.
By international standard this is mediocre but by WI standards he's good. But no need to hype him as a really really good bowler.

LMAO, Steyn started his career at the age of 20, he had a couple of mediocre matches and he was dropped for a year and then came back a year later and started taking 5fer for fun.

It's a joke to bring an ATG like Steyn in the conversation here.

Gabriel is 29, unfit, and already has a mediocre record after a couple dozen matches, only 1 fiver in his test career.
By international standard this is mediocre but by WI standards he's good. But no need to hype him as a really really good bowler.

bhai I am not someone who looks at stats alone wrna Shadab, Sarfraz, Haris aur Babar ko na support karun when except Sarfi all of them are new and hasn't set world on fire. I am talking about Gabriel's potential here. Stats to Amir aur Wahab k bhi similar hain tests mai but one has huge potential and other has mediocre potential. You have to see Gabriel's support and the kind of pitches he play. Lastly, he is a better bowler after his comeback.

bhai I am not someone who looks at stats alone wrna Shadab, Sarfraz, Haris aur Babar ko na support karun when except Sarfi all of them are new and hasn't set world on fire. I am talking about Gabriel's potential here. Stats to Amir aur Wahab k bhi similar hain tests mai but one has huge potential and other has mediocre potential. You have to see Gabriel's support and the kind of pitches he play. Lastly, he is a better bowler after his comeback.

look at his age, 29, he's unfit as well, what kind of fast bowler goes on to become better after 30? there hasnt been any bowler like that in the history.
Fast bowlers usually retire in their early 30s if they're unfit.
If he was around 25, then you could have hyped him as a prospect, but not anymore, his days are numbered, I think he'll get dropped or he'll retire after a couple years due to his fitness.

look at his age, 29, he's unfit as well, what kind of fast bowler goes on to become better after 30? there hasnt been any bowler like that in the history.
Fast bowlers usually retire in their early 30s if they're unfit.
If he was around 25, then you could have hyped him as a prospect, but not anymore, his days are numbered, I think he'll get dropped or he'll retire after a couple years due to his fitness.

Care to expand on your claim of him being 'unfit'?

He just bowled 31 overs in the first innings whilst maintaining a speed of ~85 MPH throughout.

He just bowled 31 overs in the first innings whilst maintaining a speed of ~85 MPH throughout.

He probably thinks Junaid Khan is FIT. [MENTION=133760]Abdullah719[/MENTION]

He probably thinks Junaid Khan is FIT. [MENTION=133760]Abdullah719[/MENTION]
No need for such baseless assumptions kid. Your pestering in every other thread is getting quite annoying. I suggest you add something of value and not make these irrelevant comments. Don't agree with what I have to say? Make a counter post and if you're not capable of that (which is clear), simply move on.

Looking at the scorecard can't tell you about a player's fitness, Sohail Khan also bowled 31 overs in an innings in his last test. Gabriel was plagued with injuries, he got injured midway through the series several times, he has had issues with his ankle, back, and hamstring.
If you watch the last match and also Day 2 of the current match, you can see he started cramping after the first spell, that's the main identifier of his fitness level. He was looking out of shape and also had cramps during the ODI series against us, and also during the last series vs Eng, he played 1 match and in the seconf match he gt injured again. He also was sent back from Australia midway through the series because of severe injury. If you had followed his career, you'll know he has always been injury prone. And now that he's 29, he's not getting any better, WI team are not doing any favors to him by playing him in every match possible without rest, he's probably playing on painkillers and other ailments as well. That makes things worse for a fast bowler. He's heading towards the end of his career, I'll be surprised if he's still in the team after a couple of years.

Last edited:
Looking at the scorecard can't tell you about a player's fitness, Sohail Khan also bowled 31 overs in an innings in his last test. Gabriel was plagued with injuries, he got injured midway through the series several times, he has had issues with his ankle, back, and hamstring.
If you watch the last match and also Day 2 of the current match, you can see he started cramping after the first spell, that's the main identifier of his fitness level. He was looking out of shape and also had cramps during the ODI series against us, and also during the last series vs Eng, he played 1 match and in the seconf match he gt injured again. He also was sent back from Australia midway through the series because of severe injury. If you had followed his career, you'll know he has always been injury prone. And now that he's 29, he's not getting any better, WI team are not doing any favors to him by playing him in every match possible without rest, he's probably playing on painkillers and other ailments as well. That makes things worse for a fast bowler. He's heading towards the end of his career, I'll be surprised if he's still in the team after a couple of years.

You said 'unfit', not injury prone.

There is a difference.

he's a big strong unit and runs in and bowls his heart out. Just needs to cut out the no balls. He is like a Wahab who can actually swing the new ball.

He's a confidence and rhythm bowler, when on song he's excellent but has some bad days to; but is definitely skillful and has the tool to succeed at the higher level just needs to be a bit more consistent

I've always backed him, gets good movement off the pitch and even at his slowest, he bowls around 85 MPH which is pretty good.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gabriel been looking good for a while now, bowling a heavy ball and FAST! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/10fer?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#10fer</a></p>— Dale Steyn (@DaleSteyn62) <a href="https://twitter.com/DaleSteyn62/status/1008459611039465473?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 17, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Would have Shaun Tait pace if he got rid of that belly. :inzi

Shannon%20Gabriel.jpg

Pleased to see him doing well. He's a big guy and he bowls a hard ball. Seems to have gotten much better with the no balls as well. Leader of the WI attack.

Very good bowler. Was very unlucky in the past where he would bowl brilliantly but wouldn't get the wickets. Now he has started picking wickets and his average has started coming down. WI seems like a team who are building slowly towards a good fighting Test team. SL may well go on to win this Test but WI have done very well overall in this series.

He's a good bowler but he needs to cut out the no balls

Now has an 8-fer and a 13-fer. Many greats don't have those.

Managed to forge out a decent career for himself

Amazing work ethics. Watch out! He bowls several unplayable deliveries. He should do well in Aus and SA.

His average went from 33+ to 30 :sammy
Well done big guy, he is certainly not a bowler I would like to see coming at me.

I imagine he would be terrifying to face. He bowls some seriously quick, unplayable deliveries but sadly for West Indies he's also really inconsistent.

The reason why Gabriel isn't ranked amongst the very best fast bowlers in the world is his fitness is terrible.

Yes it's difficult coming back from a long layoff with little cricket in the last 12 months. However his radar was all over the place, and you could tell he was still feeling the effects of the First Test.

WI need to think about whether Gabriel can play back-to-back Tests especially with him being north of 30 and with his build. They have a decent pace contingent now that they can rotate through.

Good bowler on helpful condition.

Effective Test bowler but an ordinary ODI bowler.

Last edited:
The reason why Gabriel isn't ranked amongst the very best fast bowlers in the world is his fitness is terrible.

Yes it's difficult coming back from a long layoff with little cricket in the last 12 months. However his radar was all over the place, and you could tell he was still feeling the effects of the First Test.

WI need to think about whether Gabriel can play back-to-back Tests especially with him being north of 30 and with his build. They have a decent pace contingent now that they can rotate through.

Still he wasn't that bad this match. 3 dropped catches off his bowling. Could've had Sibley before his 100.

Perenially unfit.

WI must start looking at a successor.

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) — West Indies Test pacer Shannon Gabriel said he is “putting in the work” to return to full fitness and will “trust the process” that he will be ready to answer the call to play whenever it comes.

Gabriel, 33, was sidelined because of injury concerns from the Windies side that drew a two-Test series against Pakistan last month in Jamaica.

“It's been a process because I have had a few weeks off, I got some rest, I cleared my mind and cleared my thoughts to get myself prepared to think about the next step towards international cricket, so it has been going well so far,” he said in an interview with CNC3 TV.

“I was taking time off from everything. I had a few weeks off. I was just giving the cricket a rest for a little bit and clearing my mind, refocusing. For the last two weeks, I have started back training, so it has been well so far.”

Gabriel said the last few months have been tough for him because of the frustration that comes with being sidelined with injury.

“The year started off well for me,” he said. “I had a pretty good series (on the tour) in Bangladesh, but it's just the last two series that have been frustrating.

“It's not been a fitness issue because even the fittest of us can get injured sometimes, but it is frustrating because you know you are doing everything that is possible to stay on the park and still the injuries come, so that's frustrating at times.”

West Indies have a tour of Sri Lanka for two Tests on the cards in November and Gabriel said he expects he will be ready.

“As long as I put in my work, the rest is going to take care of itself,” he said. “I have not been doing anything out of the ordinary that I am not accustomed doing in preparation for a tournament or a series, so I am putting in the hard work and I will trust the process.”

Gabriel has taken 159 wickets in 55 Tests for West Indies at 31.66 runs apiece since making his debut nine years ago on a tour of England.

His best figures are 8-62 against Sri Lanka at the Daren Sammy Cricket Ground in St Lucia three years ago in a Test, where he captured 13 wickets.

https://www.jamaicaobserver.com/spo...s-on-road-to-full-fitness_232249?profile=1511

Happy retirement Gabriel!
===
West Indies fast bowler Shannon Gabriel has retired from international cricket, ending a career that began in 2012. The 36-year-old played 59 Tests, 25 ODIs and two T20Is picking up a total of 202 wickets.

Retired at the age of 36. Good age to retire considering he is a pacer.

He has had his moments. All the best to him.

WHY DID HE DO THAT ?!

Unfortunately Shannon Gabriel became a meme after that Dominica Test. However he was one of the quickest bowlers in the world in his prime and at times unplayable as PAK found in the previous Test of that series in Barbados.

Didn't achieve his full potential because of poor fitness. Struggled to bowl long spells or play consecutive Tests. Also had a problem with no balls. After the emergence of Jayden Seales and Shamar Joseph he fell down the pecking order.

Hope he goes well.

WHY DID HE DO THAT ?!

Unfortunately Shannon Gabriel became a meme after that Dominica Test. However he was one of the quickest bowlers in the world in his prime and at times unplayable as PAK found in the previous Test of that series in Barbados.

Didn't achieve his full potential because of poor fitness. Struggled to bowl long spells or play consecutive Tests. Also had a problem with no balls. After the emergence of Jayden Seales and Shamar Joseph he fell down the pecking order.

Hope he goes well.
he sustained high pace throughout the test match in much hot and humid conditions and worse fielders and lower pay unlike our 4 over bowlers like Shaheen and HAris rauf

Retired at the age of 36. Good age to retire considering he is a pacer.

He has had his moments. All the best to him.
He definitely has his moments. Big strapping strong bowler who could be menacing at times.

Shannon gabriel is he the guy who bottled the match?

Happy retirement, legend! You're one of the best red-ball bowlers for West Indies in this era.

Shannon Gabriel retired from international cricket. The pacer finished with 166 Test wickets which include 6 five-fors

fxmLAnH.jpg

Back