Shoaib Akhtar: ‘Had I been the fittest, I would’ve been the greatest ever’

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
‘The Rawalpindi Express’ remains the fastest bowler of all time and is delighted to welcome England back to Pakistan 17 years after he blew them away on their last visit

“Let me ask you a question.” Shoaib Akhtar fixes me with those saucer eyes. “Tell me, truthfully, when were you happiest?”

“Erm, I’m not sure. The birth of my child?”

This feels like the right thing to say and I think might call the former fast bowler’s bluff. No chance.

“Right, increase that by a thousand and it’ll be somewhere near what it feels like to bowl truly fast. If you get a wicket after all that effort, when the ball hits the stumps, the sound of it goes inside your soul and explodes like an atom bomb. That’s true happiness.”

He remains the fastest bowler on the planet. “Every time I turn on the TV, I say: ‘Is there anyone out there who can step up? Please take this record away from me,’ I’ll be the first to fly out and shake them by the hand.”

“The Rawalpindi Express” is in full flow. This once meant a blur of hubcap pecs and chestnut curtains steaming in from a seemingly never-ending run-up towards a terrified batsman. Today he is working up a head of steam on a video call from his home in Pakistan. “Had I been the fittest guy, I would’ve been the greatest ever.”

Shoaib took 444 international wickets in a remarkable but controversial 15-year career during which he became the first man to break the 100mph barrier, a bowler who on his day was one of the most thrilling sights the game has seen.

He is heartwarmingly excited about the coming Test series. “It’s fantastic that England are coming back with a strong side for a fully fledged series. It’s been a long 17 years since they played Test cricket in Pakistan back in 2005 … their confidence was skyrocketing but I soon put paid to that!”

England’s 2005 visit was one of Shoaib’s finest Test series. He took 17 wickets in three matches bowling with electric pace and plenty of nous. Kevin Pietersen described Shoaib’s pace as “frightening” while Michael Vaughan also praised him for his cleverly concealed slower ball.

“I was on the edge of my sofa wondering whether I was going to be selected for the series or not. Once I was, then my main motivation was Freddie Flintoff.”

Flintoff had mocked Shoaib after encountering him in the 2005 ICC Super Series, saying he “looked like Tarzan but bowled like Jane”. Shoaib spent the weeks before the series getting as fit as possible for a showdown with England’s premier all-rounder. “I got Freddie on my radar and I just started bowling bouncers. He was uncomfortable, I got him out and said to him: ‘How do I look Mr Flintoff, like Tarzan or Jane?’

“He said: ‘Forgive me Shoaib. You are two different people in a span of three weeks. You were unfit and down in the mouth and now you are totally different. What happened?’ I said: ‘A lot of painkillers and even more heart.’”

Pakistan won a raucous series 2-0, Shoaib was at the heart of its most memorable moments, among them his “chicken dance” after dismissing Kevin Pietersen and yorking Ashley Giles with a delivery so potent that the beleaguered Englishman’s stumps were splattered into separate postcodes.

Today Shoaib has just had a knee partially replaced and has more operations lined up. Though he is still recuperating, it seems old habits die hard. “The biggest advantage that I had was that I could terrorise the batsman. I’ve never really lost that instinct.

“I was playing with my son today and he wasn’t hitting it right and I just got so aggressive and sent down a bouncer! My brother goes: ‘What are you doing!? He’s a six-year-old kid!’ And I’m like: ‘I’m so sorry. My competitive nature took over me!’”

He is full of praise for both Pakistan’s and England’s bowling attacks. He has got a lot of time for Mark Wood, particularly as he believes that fast bowlers “should not be normal guys”, and was impressed with him clocking up a delivery at 97mph in Pakistan recently. “I read [Wood’s] interview where he said he can’t become part of the 100mph group. He’s wrong.”

Wood, who is set to miss the first Test with a hip injury, might not be in the mood to get tips on how to find that few extra mph just now but Shoaib is more than happy to share some pointers. These include running with trucks tied to his waist and bowling on a 26-yard pitch with a three-times-as-heavy ball. “It’s about ego and persistence.”

He reserves most praise, though, for a wiry young kid he encountered 20 years ago. When Shoaib bowled the fastest delivery on record in the 2003 World Cup, a 20-year-old Jimmy Anderson took four for 29 as England defeated Pakistan by 112 runs.

“Mr Anderson, you played against me in 2003 and spoiled my day! When I broke the record, you annihilated us in that game … ruined my happiness! He’s a brilliant guy and it will be fantastic to see him bowl in Pakistan again. It’s been nearly 18 years since he was here and now he’s back again and his bowling looks as virile as ever!”

Shoaib’s passion for fast bowling is undimmed. “My doctor asked me recently: ‘Shoaib, you are in so much pain right now. Tell me one thing. Was it worth it?’ I said: ‘Doc, every minute of it. It was so worth it.’”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2..._medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1669713994

Probably not the greatest but he was a big wicket taker

Game changer for sure

Being fit is part of greatness too! Guess he had some issues with knees.

He was not even the best injury prone fast bowler of his time. Shane Bond was much better than him, and he would have had a much better career if both him & Akhtar were injury free.

Akhtar was certainly better than Lee though.

That’s it Shoaib, get it right up them!

You have to be crazy in the head to bowl that fast all the while threatening stumps and a batsman's limbs. There's a reason nobody's come close to the threatening demeanor of Shoaib.

If he took proper care of his body, and had his head in the game instead of getting involved in controversies and gaining cheap publicity, he would have probably got to 300 wickets.

The late Tony Greig said it best that Shoaib was nothing but an embarrassment to the game.

If he took proper care of his body, and had his head in the game instead of getting involved in controversies and gaining cheap publicity, he would have probably got to 300 wickets.

The late Tony Greig said it best that Shoaib was nothing but an embarrassment to the game.

The only person who seems to be aware of this Tony Greig quote is you.

It hasn't been posted anywhere else but you have mentioned it on PP a few times.

How exactly does a player become an embarrassment to the game? The sentence doesn't make sense and its likely you have just made it up.

Shoaib was quite an intelligent cricketer but his weak knees couples with his strong ego and strong imagination meant he couldn't fulfil his potential.

Arrogant Shoaib being his usual arrogant self. He wasn't as good as he and his fans like to think he was.

Arrogant Shoaib being his usual arrogant self. He wasn't as good as he and his fans like to think he was.

I think he was the 4 best fast bowler in the world after the 2003 World Cup. Only McGrath, Pollock and Ntini were definitely better than him. Bond was brilliant but he was more injured than Shoaib

Malinga and Steyn caught up later and took over from him in 2007-8.

Eating( and drinking)like an idiot before a series and then trying to lose all the flab in a few weeks caused him many injuries. Another absolute waste

The only person who seems to be aware of this Tony Greig quote is you.

It hasn't been posted anywhere else but you have mentioned it on PP a few times.

How exactly does a player become an embarrassment to the game? The sentence doesn't make sense and its likely you have just made it up.

He said it in an audio clip on a site that is not allowed to be mentioned on PP. It was after the incident where he hit Asif with a bat. I never lie, nor do I need to just to make myself feel better.

You’re talking about what made Shoaib an embarrassment to the game? Are you serious?

He said it in an audio clip on a site that is not allowed to be mentioned on PP. It was after the incident where he hit Asif with a bat. I never lie, nor do I need to just to make myself feel better.

You’re talking about what made Shoaib an embarrassment to the game? Are you serious?

Please provide a link. There must be one beyond this banned site.

Yes embarrassment to the game makes no sense - he could have been an embarrassment to his team, or nation but how did he embarass the game?

Its a ridiculous statement.

lol, would shoaib be shoaib if he didnt think that, was like a prize fighter, didnt matter what the result was he always went in thinking he was the headliner.

peak shoaib was a menace, but his record against top teams wasn't great. went missing far too often when the going got tough. had he been fit through out his career hed pbly have ended up as the third best pak seamer after was and imran.

He was not even the best injury prone fast bowler of his time. Shane Bond was much better than him, and he would have had a much better career if both him & Akhtar were injury free.

Shane Bond was not better than him. Shane Bond has nothing to show for himself in the Sub continent.

Shoaib continued to bowl fast till the end of his career with such horrendous knees whereas Saqlain couldn't even bowl spin properly as a spinner from 2000 to 2004 whereas Akhtar being a fast bowler had much more severe knee issues.

Why does Shoaib need validation from Tony Greig? Are we forgetting Tony Greig's biased comments about Pakistani's in general during the ICL in 2007-2008?

Shoaib also perhaps given the Pakistani age fudging culture was around 3-4 years older than his official age. I found it quite telling to see an officially 31-32 year old guy to lose all his hair and to develop a white stubbing at such an early age. I have seen this mostly to begin happening to people in their late 30's or 40's.

People need to give some respect. The man is having knee replacement surgeries to this day and it is very possible he will no longer be able to run anymore which is a sacrifice he will have to make to remain pain free from this point onwards. He will have to adapt by sticking to a disciplined diet and doing cardio via swimming only. Regardless he is going to baloon to Maradonna levels and that will have disasterous health implications.

thats one badly written article

Shoaib Akhtar did not under achieve due to fitness issues, but he underachieved due to the off the field controversies he was involved them that found him getting banned or kicked out of 4 consecutive ICC tournaments from 2006 to 2009.

If he wasnt fully fit, that means he hogged a spot in the national team unfairly. This person did not care about Pakistan, had he did, he would had not been doing drugs or been involved in all sorts of controversy during his career.

Shoaib Akhtar likes to put alot of blame on his injuries, but the truth is, his downfall was his antics. Doing drugs, getting tested positive for drugs, had genital warts, picked up a fight with Asif, ended up fighting with Bob Woolmer.

Than he picked up fights with DNA.

It was sad that this guy did drugs and than openly declare innocence. Forget PCB, even WADA took the case against him to Court of Arbitration for Sports. ICC supported WADA.

He was even doping around in 2007 and PCB saved this guys behind, because by not being part of the squad, he wouldn't need to give a dope test. They made an excuse that he was not fit. Before the 2007 world cup squad was announced, a week before dope test were done. Asif and Akhtar never showed up because earlier in the chmapions trophy their dope test came positive and their were fears that the dope test would again come as positive.
Interesting enough, a person at PCB leaked a news to cricinfo that both Asif and Akhtar are fit enough fro the 2007 World Cup, if their names are not their in the squad than that would because they might be still taking performance enhancing drugs that will show up in the dope test. They would had faced much bigger bans this time around as they got away last time.

Shoaib Akhtar is the guy that ended up getting banned for the Champions trophy 2006, faked an injury for 2007 world cup, and was involved in hitting mohammad asif which lead to his World T20 2007 ban. In the World T20 2009 he had genital warts that ruled him out.

This guy did not care about Pakistan cricket at all. He made it a habit to be in trouble before every ICC event post 2004. Every time he got himself thrown out of the team for his own antics, he made our team weak. He sits on tv and pretends that he cares for the nation and all and acts patriotic, but sorry to say where was all this when he was actually representing the nation.

He sabotaged Pakistan at 4 ICC events. He is no better off than match/spot fixers. They throw away or disrupt the result and credibility of the game, this guy lowered our chances with his dumb antics.

This fitness excuse that he makes every now and than needs to end, and should say what the real truth is! His own antics were the cause of him never really achieving anything in cricket.

Last edited:
Greatest ever might be a bit much but top 5-10 I think. I will always remember his insane bowling in 2002 vs NZ, specifically in the Test match where he's picking up wickets with 156-157 clicks and then he picks up last wicket of the inning and is all injured. Doesn't end up bowling in the 2nd innings either and well, that was Shoaib career is a nut shell.

A shame how often he gets injured but durability is a skill and that's what makes greats, the greatests.

Batsmen were scared of him.Had remained fully fit he would have been the top ten bowlers.

thats one badly written article

Shoaib Akhtar did not under achieve due to fitness issues, but he underachieved due to the off the field controversies he was involved them that found him getting banned or kicked out of 4 consecutive ICC tournaments from 2006 to 2009.

If he wasnt fully fit, that means he hogged a spot in the national team unfairly. This person did not care about Pakistan, had he did, he would had not been doing drugs or been involved in all sorts of controversy during his career.

Shoaib Akhtar likes to put alot of blame on his injuries, but the truth is, his downfall was his antics. Doing drugs, getting tested positive for drugs, had genital warts, picked up a fight with Asif, ended up fighting with Bob Woolmer.

Than he picked up fights with DNA.

It was sad that this guy did drugs and than openly declare innocence. Forget PCB, even WADA took the case against him to Court of Arbitration for Sports. ICC supported WADA.

He was even doping around in 2007 and PCB saved this guys behind, because by not being part of the squad, he wouldn't need to give a dope test. They made an excuse that he was not fit. Before the 2007 world cup squad was announced, a week before dope test were done. Asif and Akhtar never showed up because earlier in the chmapions trophy their dope test came positive and their were fears that the dope test would again come as positive.
Interesting enough, a person at PCB leaked a news to cricinfo that both Asif and Akhtar are fit enough fro the 2007 World Cup, if their names are not their in the squad than that would because they might be still taking performance enhancing drugs that will show up in the dope test. They would had faced much bigger bans this time around as they got away last time.

Shoaib Akhtar is the guy that ended up getting banned for the Champions trophy 2006, faked an injury for 2007 world cup, and was involved in hitting mohammad asif which lead to his World T20 2007 ban. In the World T20 2009 he had genital warts that ruled him out.

This guy did not care about Pakistan cricket at all. He made it a habit to be in trouble before every ICC event post 2004. Every time he got himself thrown out of the team for his own antics, he made our team weak. He sits on tv and pretends that he cares for the nation and all and acts patriotic, but sorry to say where was all this when he was actually representing the nation.

He sabotaged Pakistan at 4 ICC events. He is no better off than match/spot fixers. They throw away or disrupt the result and credibility of the game, this guy lowered our chances with his dumb antics.

This fitness excuse that he makes every now and than needs to end, and should say what the real truth is! His own antics were the cause of him never really achieving anything in cricket.

Don't slander without evidence. You just hate him because he would criticize Misbah for his timid batting & captaincy throughout his rein.

He did hit Asif in an internal quarrel caused by mischief of Afridi, which was leaked to media and both were sent back by PCB although the matter was settled there and then. There's nothing else true you mentioned here.

Shoaib had four abnormalities since childhood and it was a miracle that he did end up as an athlete, let alone as the fastest bowler in his era.

He has/had flat feet, hyperextension in joints resulting in doughy knees/shoulders which flare up after running, asthma and hyper moods.

There're very good series of articles by Javed Chaudhary in Urdu from 2011 on his miracle.

https://www.columnkaar.com/kudh-kush-shoaib-akhter-part-1-javed-chaudhry/

https://www.columnkaar.com/hum-aik-be-wafa-qaum-hain-shoaib-akhtar-part-2-javed-chaudhry/

I think he is the only player who rates himself so highly. 😆
Greats never talk like this.

Had he not fixed he would’ve retired as the greatest ever.

^ That’s for M Asif, and Shoaib Akhtar, Imran Khan already consider him to be the best ever. Enough world class batsmen thought so too.

Akhtar may have been ATG level had he been the fittest, but Asif was heading toward GOAT territory. He was going to surpass Wasim, McGrath, Malcolm etc.

Had he not fixed he would’ve retired as the greatest ever.

^ That’s for M Asif, and Shoaib Akhtar, Imran Khan already consider him to be the best ever. Enough world class batsmen thought so too.

Akhtar may have been ATG level had he been the fittest, but Asif was heading toward GOAT territory. He was going to surpass Wasim, McGrath, Malcolm etc.

Asif was unproven on flat dead wickets and wickets with no green on them. He had a poor record in Australia and had gone missing in quite a few test matches in Pakistan.

He is right. He had everything in his arsenal and was head and shoulders above his contemporaries when fit and on song. He turned a lot of tests on their heads through a spell of 4/5 overs.

Asif was unproven on flat dead wickets and wickets with no green on them. He had a poor record in Australia and had gone missing in quite a few test matches in Pakistan.

Asif was most talented fast bowler of pak in test cricket the way that guy used to blow top order batsman was phenomenal, Wasim Waqar wasn't that Lethal Against top order batsman ,He could have in list of Mcgrath, Steyn, Ambrose, Wasim list but match fixing

Shoaib Akhtar:

“There are a lot of problems with Pakistan cricket. It bores me to death when I talk about Pakistan cricket. Where do we start and where do we end? The whole thing is a mess. Thank God that I have never been part of this mess. The whole country wants it [for me to be part of it] but a specific 10 per cent don’t want Shoaib Akhtar to not come in"

“Who is a star in Pakistan cricket? Compare it to the team in 1999. People still know the names of the players in that team 20 years on. Their footage is still watched today. It is unfortunate. If you want to make a team like that again then you need that type of people. The system needs a complete revamp in the form of a jolt. I don’t know how that will happen with the people who are making the decisions. They are the ones making the decision and I don’t think they are making the right ones"

Had there been more cameras in your time, your record would've been much inferior to what it is now.

Don't slander without evidence. You just hate him because he would criticize Misbah for his timid batting & captaincy throughout his rein.

He did hit Asif in an internal quarrel caused by mischief of Afridi, which was leaked to media and both were sent back by PCB although the matter was settled there and then. There's nothing else true you mentioned here.

i have followed cricket from the time this guy was involved in controversies.

Now that he has retired people seem to forget his past. Go follow his career and you will know.

Over exaggeration again from Akhtar.

Akhtar always had these moments of brilliance but even when he was fit he at times struggled to take wickets with the new ball (even against Bangladesh). He relied on the ball to get old.

He almost won that sydney test, i don't know how you come up with this conclusion. He took wickets on all kinds of wickets. He was the best new ball bowler ever produced by pakistan, even better than wasim with new ball.

Akthar is a very smart guy. He knows how to keep his name out there and in the age of social media that is equal to $$$. He is one of those who’s smarter than he looks and the joke is on people who think he is some dumb jock. Afridi sr is another guy, very shrewd business minds and I mean it in a very complimentary way.

I don’t see many people who can justify arguing with this.

He could swing the new ball, old ball, killer bouncer, killer yorker, killer slower ball, fastest bowler ever. I mean what else do you want?

I don’t see many people who can justify arguing with this.

He could swing the new ball, old ball, killer bouncer, killer yorker, killer slower ball, fastest bowler ever. I mean what else do you want?

Keeping yourself fit and being disciplined is also a huge part of a sportsman’s game.

I have seen players upstage guys like Federer and Nadal with out of the world tennis, should they say had they been more focused they would have been better than them? May be they can but it would be laughed at.

Akthar was a good bowler and had some great moments. He is one of those memorable colorful characters of the game. That’s about it. Far from an all time great.

He almost won that sydney test, i don't know how you come up with this conclusion. He took wickets on all kinds of wickets. He was the best new ball bowler ever produced by pakistan, even better than wasim with new ball.

Knocking off the tail is also an under rated fast bowling skill. Asif was unable to dislodge Peter Siddle in that Sydney test match and that is where his lack of pace caught up with him with the old ball when the pitch eased out. He was a one condition one dimensional bowler.

He struggled on flat Pakistani wickets and in general world wide when the pitches had nothing in them.

He would have been one of the greats for sure.
A bowler who can move the ball at 150+, that's unheard of.
Usually the 150+ merchants are gun barrel straight ex - Wood, Nortje, Umran, Rauf.

He would have been one of the greats for sure.
A bowler who can move the ball at 150+, that's unheard of.
Usually the 150+ merchants are gun barrel straight ex - Wood, Nortje, Umran, Rauf.

Finally a voice of reason. Bravo, sir. He had everything a fast bowler should have in his arsenal except fitness and perhaps discipline and professionalism. And he definitely underachieved because of the lack of those qualities

It's always if's & but's with Shoaib. If he was the fittest he would not have become the greatest because he had disciplinary issues & because of those he would have been banned from the team.

He had discipline issues, fitness issues, was a drama queen. Very good bowler, crowd puller., exciting to watch. But ATG . Hell No.

Knocking off the tail is also an under rated fast bowling skill. Asif was unable to dislodge Peter Siddle in that Sydney test match and that is where his lack of pace caught up with him with the old ball when the pitch eased out. He was a one condition one dimensional bowler.

He struggled on flat Pakistani wickets and in general world wide when the pitches had nothing in them.

Very good point.

I find this romanticising Asif a bit too much. Yes he was very impressive in particular situations and conditions, but fast bowlers sometimes need to blow teams away too

I accept that Akhtar had issues regarding his body but there were also issues surrounding his discipline which had an affect on the number of matches he missed for Pakistan.

More discipline would have equalled more matches.

Shane Bond the one who only played 18 tests ?

Why were Indian bowlers still useless if that’s the case?

Shoaib was officially caught tampering twice between November 2002 and May 2003 . And that's only officially. He was a serial tampered in those days

hahaha. even after all these years, Indians are so bitter when it comes to Shoaib. love it!

The Aussies and India pretty much treated him like an average bowler despite his funny business with the ball. Not sure what's there to be bitter about.

Shoaib Akhtar 100MPH

Shoaib is a living legend and a worldwide Icon without a doubt. Every team in the world would want a player with that swagger, pace, aggression confidence and most importantly a match winner.

His knees and the amount of injections alongside the pain must of been excruciating plus the countless surgeries but he always gave his heart and put in a 100% performance for his country.

As supporters we should always remember that and appreciate that. Just like Rizwan did in the wt20 semi-final last year. Absolute superstars.

These Superstars only come along once in a generation which is why people still miss that entertainment today.

With regards to controversies the media always add more spice to sell their stories so people should take a step back and analyse the truth.

People mocking Shoaib's stats and his lack of longetivity need to look at the fact that in the 2000 era only Glen Mcgrath had better stats than him. He had tremendous success against the best batsmen of that era i.e. Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly, Jaywardene, Ponting, Hayden, Gilchrist, Gayle, AB Devilliers, Grame Smith, Kallis, Stephen Flemming, Steve Waugh, Mark Waugh e.t.c.

Very good point.

I find this romanticising Asif a bit too much. Yes he was very impressive in particular situations and conditions, but fast bowlers sometimes need to blow teams away too

There are other games where Asif went missing i.e. that 4th test match and the final match of his career in Aug 2010 when he was unable to dislodge Trott, Broad and allowed them to score centuries. Amir did his job by picking up 6 wickets but Asif was totally ineffective on that green wicket. Trott had developed a method to neutralize Asif's inswingers and outswingers and Asif did not have any Plan B i.e. a fast bouncer to put the batsman on the back foot, a fast yorker at the stumps to give the batsman something to think about, reverse swing e.t.c.

Shoaib was officially caught tampering twice between November 2002 and May 2003 . And that's only officially. He was a serial tampered in those days

Don't go there. Your entire Indian team was caught tampering in South Africa in 2001 including your beloved Sachin Tendulkar.

People mocking Shoaib's stats and his lack of longetivity need to look at the fact that in the 2000 era only Glen Mcgrath had better stats than him. He had tremendous success against the best batsmen of that era i.e. Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly, Jaywardene, Ponting, Hayden, Gilchrist, Gayle, AB Devilliers, Grame Smith, Kallis, Stephen Flemming, Steve Waugh, Mark Waugh e.t.c.

There is only ball by ball data from 2002 onwards but of the players you mentioned, he has a good head to head record against Hayden, Gayle, De Villiers, Kallis, Fleming and the Waughs. He has a poor record against the other 7 batters you mentioned as well as Sanath, VVS, Sehwag, Sanga, Dhoni, Ian Bell etc.

Yeah knocking the tail is also a skill but i don't think its better than getting the top order wickets anyhow. Asif was never good with the old ball but with new ball he was good enough to be considered among the greats. He could not get siddle out but there were other bowlers too who were there to get the batsmans out.
And can you just remind me in which game he struggled on a flat wicket specially in a test match as i am not rating him in limited overs.

There are other games where Asif went missing i.e. that 4th test match and the final match of his career in Aug 2010 when he was unable to dislodge Trott, Broad and allowed them to score centuries. Amir did his job by picking up 6 wickets but Asif was totally ineffective on that green wicket. Trott had developed a method to neutralize Asif's inswingers and outswingers and Asif did not have any Plan B i.e. a fast bouncer to put the batsman on the back foot, a fast yorker at the stumps to give the batsman something to think about, reverse swing e.t.c.
You are speaking as if he should have taken 10 wickets in every match he played. There were numerous occasions where shoaib was smashed by batsmans like sehwag, sachin, gilchrist but he also had his day against them. So, just stop giving the examples of so and so occasions and try to downgrade any player if you don't like.

isn't fitness one of the key aspects of being a fast bowler?

bhuvi can say 'had i been the fittest, i would've been as good as anderson with red ball'

'had i not edge the ball frequently, i would've been don bradman' - kohli probably

'had i known how to field, i would've been jonty rhodes' - chahal probably

also akhtar's test record while he played:
46 mat, 178 wkts @ 25.7
there are others with better records, take it easy.

The fact is that he wasn't the fittest or the greatest ever. And, like Wasim Akram says, "If my aunt had a mustache, she would be my uncle."

isn't fitness one of the key aspects of being a fast bowler?

bhuvi can say 'had i been the fittest, i would've been as good as anderson with red ball'

'had i not edge the ball frequently, i would've been don bradman' - kohli probably

'had i known how to field, i would've been jonty rhodes' - chahal probably

also akhtar's test record while he played:
46 mat, 178 wkts @ 25.7
there are others with better records, take it easy.

Strike rate one of the best ever. But Indians go by averages cos you don’t know anything about fast bowling

Yeah knocking the tail is also a skill but i don't think its better than getting the top order wickets anyhow. Asif was never good with the old ball but with new ball he was good enough to be considered among the greats. He could not get siddle out but there were other bowlers too who were there to get the batsmans out.
And can you just remind me in which game he struggled on a flat wicket specially in a test match as i am not rating him in limited overs.

Pakistan vs Australia in Australia in 2005

Pakistan vs Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka 2006 (first test match)

Pakistan vs England in England 2006 (fourth test match, second innings)

Pakistan vs South Africa in Pakistan in 2007

Pakistan vs Australia in Australia in 2009 (first test, second test second innings, third test)

Asif was a tremendous new ball bowler especially in conditions which aided swing, seam but if the wicket had nothing, he became a lot more easier to deal with. Most of his good performances have occurred when the wickets had something for the pacers.

Strike rate one of the best ever. But Indians go by averages cos you don’t know anything about fast bowling
yes strike rate is 5th best for any bowler with more than 150 wkts, impressive but runs conceded matter too. i am not saying he is bad, just saying there are many others with better overall record. lovely of you to ignore the most important thing fitness being one of the key aspects and shoaib claiming as if only a small thing was missing.
also very classy of you to generalize and judge. fair enough i guess, as you are the fast bowling encyclopedia.

Pakistan vs Australia in Australia in 2005

Pakistan vs Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka 2006 (first test match)

Pakistan vs England in England 2006 (fourth test match, second innings)

Pakistan vs South Africa in Pakistan in 2007

Pakistan vs Australia in Australia in 2009 (first test, second test second innings, third test)

Asif was a tremendous new ball bowler especially in conditions which aided swing, seam but if the wicket had nothing, he became a lot more easier to deal with. Most of his good performances have occurred when the wickets had something for the pacers.

But it happens with every bowler. Didn't waqar and shoaib got thrashed on dead wickets, even wasim sometimes. Didn't steyn got thrashed by sehwag and company on indian wickets? Its cricket and sometimes it works for someone and sometimes not. All the series you mentioned are those where asif bowled brilliantly in other matches and you can't say that the wickets were completely different in those matches.

Life is full of if's and but's. He still would not have been the GOAT even if he was not injury prone. Would have been up there with Waz and Waq though for sure.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/OnThisDay?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#OnThisDay</a> in 2002. Pace, aggression, yorkers and a broken stump as Shoaib Akhtar took 6-16 at the National Stadium Karachi helping Pakistan beat New Zealand by 153 runs <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/tE7hZqEWPE">pic.twitter.com/tE7hZqEWPE</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1649317660218343425?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 21, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/OnThisDay?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#OnThisDay</a> in 2002. Pace, aggression, yorkers and a broken stump as Shoaib Akhtar took 6-16 at the National Stadium Karachi helping Pakistan beat New Zealand by 153 runs <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/tE7hZqEWPE">pic.twitter.com/tE7hZqEWPE</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1649317660218343425?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 21, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is pure badmashi

Deserves a fine for bullying the kiwis that day!

This is pure badmashi

Deserves a fine for bullying the kiwis that day!

One cannot deny that Cricket is yet to see a fast-bowler with the sort of swagger as Akhtar had when on song.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/OnThisDay?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#OnThisDay</a> in 2002. Shoaib Akhtar became the first man to break the 100mph barrier when he was clocked bowling to Craig McMillan at 100.04mph (161kph) during a one-day international against New Zealand in Lahore <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/VxDh22hWo7">pic.twitter.com/VxDh22hWo7</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1651489008633933825?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 27, 2023</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/OnThisDay?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#OnThisDay</a> in 2002. Stumps flying everywhere, electrifying pace, as Shoaib Akhtar took career-best Test figures of 6-11 versus New Zealand in Lahore <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/5Kj1RWTor1">pic.twitter.com/5Kj1RWTor1</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1653662473096945665?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 3, 2023</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/OnThisDay?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#OnThisDay</a> in 2002. An electrifying spell of pace bowling by Shoaib Akhtar in Brisbane. He took 5-25 from 8 overs as Pakistan thrashed Australia by 91 runs <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/U1pIjI28ag">pic.twitter.com/U1pIjI28ag</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1670716776697540609?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 19, 2023</a></blockquote>

Back