Should these cracks be appearing?

Major

T20I Star
Runs
Post of the Week
Recently got a new slazenger v100 advance.

Oiled it with 3light coats, and now after knocking it these cracks started to appear on the surface

To me seems like the oiling is not done sufficiently. Also you need to start knocking with less power and increase power accordingly keeping the effects on wood in focus.

Can you please share the process how did you oil the bat? Which oil was used, amount of oil appied in coat, duration allowed for the oil absorption, etc.

Thanks for replying

I used linseed oil, Pakistani. I use to do a coat 1 day each. So three days three coats.

The amount i used was equivalent to a small medicines bottle cap, i spread it on the whol face below the splice sticker

I'm worried that i might have ruined a brand new bat.

I do admit i did use force in the intial knocking stage. This was just 15 mins of knocking. Right now i have stopped until someone could guide me here

No - don't over oil your bat !!

You will kill the ping and performance by over oiling it. Trust me, I know.

These cracks have probabably appeared because the bat is too dry and not enough moisture.

Since you have already oiled it just concentrate on knocking in your bat - that will lessen the chances of cracks appearing.

Well... I never did 3 coats in 3 days...

General practice for me is to coat with few drops and then leave it for at least 48-72 hours. Recently, I faced the same issue with a wonderful but over-dried bat. On first try with even less power, similar marks started appearing. I oiled it 2 times (few drops only) with a gap of 3 days. Then tried again, they started to appear again when I increased the power. I re-oiled with even less drops the bat for another 2 times.

After that the bat was fine and no more marks. Performance is brilliant in the first net. The whole team wants to bat with it now. And yes, I applied scuff sheet to the bat before playing the first match with it.

Lesson: Apply less amount of oil with more coatings. As previous poster said, over-oiling will kill your bat. Always better to be under-oiling as compared to over-oiling.

So what exactly should i do right now? Do a light coat of oil after a week and then start the knocking process?

So what exactly should i do right now? Do a light coat of oil after a week and then start the knocking process?

No, just forget about oiling.

Let the bat dry out for a week and then start knocking it in - the toe and edges. Knock in the middle if it
Sounds like the it's not rebounding properly like a middle should.

Almost all bats comes out with good middle. You should knock them only a little bit in the center. Start knocking them more on the outer and inner half and at the toe. But remember to use the reduced power that the bat face can handle. An important tip is don't knock the bat on 90 degree angle. It could damage the willow. Do it somewhere in between 45 and 60 degree angles.

My 2 cents...

Thank you guys. really was a help.

Just one last question, could this cracks have appeared due to over oiling?

I know the toe has been over oiled, because as i knock the toe, the oil liquid comes out of it

I don't know how much you have applied. But it seems may be you were not giving it enough time to dry /absorb.

Thank you guys. really was a help.

Just one last question, could this cracks have appeared due to over oiling?

I know the toe has been over oiled, because as i knock the toe, the oil liquid comes out of it

I had that happen with my latest bat, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's just a very tiny amount then wipe off any excess oil on the surface and carry on. If it's a noticeable amount of oil then I would wait another day or two before I continue the knocking in.

From what you said I doubt you've over-oiled it, that's something that is pretty difficult to do accidentally.

Back