Sindh vs NWFP | 4 day game | Karachi | 10/02/2008 to 13/02/2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercenary

Senior ODI Player
Runs
The two captaincy rivals and supposed Malik deposers are up against each other in this Sindh vs NWFP clash. Sindh's captain Afridi and NWFP's captain Younis both feature regularly in the papers amidst captaincy rumours so this tournament will be a chance for them to show how good their captaincy skills really are.

Afridi has possibly the best all-round team in the whole tournament boasting batsmen like Khalid, Khurram, Naumanullah, Hasan Raza, Asim Kamal, Fawad Alam and Asif Zakir. Sarfaraz Ahmed is a great keeper and Afridi's pace bowling attack is plenty strong with the like sof Sohail, Anwar and Uzair. In the spin dept he has himself, Kaneria, and Tahir Khan too. So overall Sindh will be a hard team to beat in this Pentangular cup and with Afridi's aggressive brand of captaincy they'll either win big or lose badly.

Without Gul NWFP's bowling attack looks rather sparse, they could definitely have used Jan Nisar Khan whose a useful fast bowler as well as a decent batsman. Their keeper is an unknown whilst their batting is made up of potential and experience but other than Younis and Hameed no-one spectacular. If Younis can pull this team together and come in the top 3 then it'll be a triumph for his captaincy.

Cricinfo have a scorecard ready and waiting but how often will it be updated?? Here's the link...

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/pakistandomestic/content/current/match/335289.html

...hopefully some PPers will be watching the match live and keep us updated.

I'm really hoping they have working speed guns in the grounds for these games, so we can see what the domestic bowlers are really clocking!

Below are the full squads for both teams...

Sindh: Khalid Latif, Khurram Manzoor, Shadab Kabir, Shahid Afridi (capt), Naumanullah, Hasan Raza, Faisal Iqbal (vice-capt), Asim Kamal, Fawad Alam, Rizwan Ahmad, Sohail Khan, Anwar Ali, Mohammad Sami, Faisal Athar, Danish Kaneria, Sarfraz Ahmad (wk), Hanif Malik (wk), Tahir Khan, Uzair-ul-Haq, Asif Zakir.

NWFP: Younis Khan (capt), Yasir Hameed (vice-capt), Riffatullah Mohmmand, Wajid Ali, Aftab Ahmad Khan, Wajahatullah Wasti, Riaz Kail, Asad Shafiq, Zulfiqar Jan (wk), Aslam Qureshi, Yasir Shah, Khurram Shahzad, Shakeel-ur-Rehman, Nauman Habib, Fazl-e-Akbar, Adnan Raees, Waqar Ahmad, Fawad Khan (wk), Junaid Khan, Samiullah Khan, Umar Gul (will be included after a fitness test).

I doubt Gul will play except for maybe the last match and then a practise game before the Aussie series.

I am from Punjab (Gujranwala) and I'd love see Punjab win the whole thing but I AM rooting for certain players to do very well in these matches.

#1. Asim Kamal
#2. Afaq Raheem
#3. Mansoor Amjad
#4. Fawad Alam
#5. Sarfraz Ahmed
#6. Sohail Khan

Well the Sindh team definitely looks stronger on paper.

Merc, don't get your hopes up with cricinfo's updates. They won't be doing ball by ball updates (unless things have changed), and it's not their fault. They don't have the rights to provide such updates for Pakistani domestic games.

I sent Martin Williamson an email when I frustrated with this a while back. Here's the email and his response:

Lovely how you've decided to totally ignore Pakistan A v Australia A while the coverage of India A v South Africa A is in full flow.

I don't care if you have an Indian bias (larger audience and all that) but don't pretend to be a "world" leader in cricket website and pull this sort of stuff.
Response:
Complete bias ... oh, apart from the match report from the game. Also, we do not have the internet rights to score the Pakistan match.
I have to say, I felt a bit embarrassed after re-reading my comment.

Last edited:
Sindh pretty strong favourites it seems.

P.S I amened the match dates in the thread title.

kablooee87 said:
Well the Sindh team definitely looks stronger on paper.

Merc, don't get your hopes up with cricinfo's updates. They won't be doing ball by ball updates (unless things have changed), and it's not their fault. They don't have the rights to provide such updates for Pakistani domestic games.

I sent Martin Williamson an email when I frustrated with this a while back. Here's the email and his response:

Response:

I have to say, I felt a bit embarrassed after re-reading my comment.

They could buy the rights should the wish I imagine, after all they do have it for England, India, Sri Lanka and Australia.

Any non-international Pakistan game gets poor coverage on cricinfo, then again nobody else is jumping at the opportunity either.

Punjab should be the favourites to win this. Pakistan's middle order is basically playing for them.

Afridi won the toss and elected to field.

I am watching it. =)

Sohail Khan bowling. First ball, a slow run up, not much pace I think, but a good outswing. Left by Yasir Hameed.

2nd ball. One run by Hameed.

I am watching on Geo Super, sir. =0

Poor delivery outside off. No swing. Hit toward covers, but straight to the fielder.

I don't have required equipments nor knowledge... I wish I could.

Two good inswingers by Anwar Ali back to back. With some more pace, he will be hard to play.

Second over gone. NWFP 3/0

No speedguns or scorecard... lol.

Sohail Khan bowled a middle and leg delivery. Hit toward fine leg for four by Yasir Hameed.

Urdu.

Lbw appeal by Sohail Khan. Not given.

Next ball. BOWLED! Hameed gone. Good delivery!

Four off Anwar Ali by Rafatullah, the other opener.

BOWLED! Yorked by Sohail Khan! Good pace. Riaz Kail gone. 11/2

Sohail Khan proving deadly already lets see how Younis deals with him. How is the pitch looking.

Good delivery by Sohail Khan outside the off stump. A bit of outswing. Younis beaten.

It's a grassy wicket. Sohail Khan is getting a good movement off it.

No speedgun, and no stump microphones either, so can't hear any tuk tuk or anything off the pitch. =p

Good inswing by Anwar Ali. 14/2 after 5.3 overs.

Outswinger next ball, but way outside the off stump. Left alone by batsman.

15/2 after 5 overs. Rafatullah and Younis batting.

Suddenly stump microphones came into life. Lol

Younus is using another new bat - CA bat, and has his name spelled YOUNAS.

First time I've seen that

Haroon Rasheed is one commentator. The other one is from the 'Bolain Kiya Baat Hai' Show. Can't recognize the other two.

28-2 in 10 overs. Four off Anwar Ali in the over. Anwar trying to swing in every ball, but not getting it right all the time. Good delivery to end the over. Came in sharply.

FAM said:
28-2 in 10 overs. Four off Anwar Ali in the over. Anwar trying to swing in every ball, but not getting it right all the time. Good delivery to end the over. Came in sharply.

is anwar bowling outswingers?

Anwar bowled a couple outswingers, but they were way outside off. No control.

Last edited:
lol@the commentator. Calling Anwar Ali, Anwar Khan.

Tasleem Arif is also commentating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back