Sohail Tanvir as captain in ODI/T20I?

AZ

Hall of Famer
Runs
IMO he is a top and I daresay my leading candidate for the job after Misbah.

He strikes me as a very smart cricketer, and one who is not afraid to take responsibility.

His Rams teams has a certain aura and self-confidence that provides some very bold and attractive cricket.

facepalm2ic7copyrl2-jpg.jpeg

That guy doesn't deserve to be in the team let alone captain it

No thanks.

I love him but he doesn't even deserve a spot in 15 man squad. I am not going to question his ability to lead a side but he is no longer the same player he was 2 years ago and he has problem moving around in the field because of his Knee.

Drop him and put hammad azam in Team Pakistan and let someone like umar gul lead the T20 side.

He is going to become a Sammy type captain, brings nothing with the ball and or the bat. In my opinion the best Pakistan captain is the one who can perform consistently or has already proven himself on the international stage. Alot like Misbah who silenced his critics with the bat or even Afridi, who lead from the front in the WC. I dont think Sohail has that in him.

This is what Sikander Bakht was saying during the analysis, couldn't believe it. :facepalm:

Tanvir can't make the step up to international cricket atm as a player, nevermind anything else, this has already been highlighted in detail in various threads so no need to repeat his shortcomings. He needs to work on his game first and foremost; if he can prove his worth, only then can he even think about captaincy.

"can't make the step up to intl cricket"?! Ridiculous statement!

he will be the worst captain ever; look how is he treating Hammad Azam in Rams; he is coming to bat before Hammad :facepalm:

Hammad is doing perfectly well as finisher, he is not comfortable vs spinners in the middle overs, and is not totally mature enough to bat under pressure.

A lot could change by the time Misbah decides to wave goodbye. ST is good for T20s, needs to perform big time to earn an ODI recall. Needs a solid purple patch to be considered for the armband ... You never say never.

I think someone hacked AZ's account.. This can't be him, surely!

Are you FREAKIN' kidding me!!!?

He's not a batsman.
He's not a bowler.
He's not a captain.

:akhtar

Hammad is doing perfectly well as finisher, he is not comfortable vs spinners in the middle overs, and is not totally mature enough to bat under pressure.
cant believe you are saying this; if there is one person who has the record to thrive in pressure, its Hammad.
Lets forget about it and just tell me who is a better batsman: Hammad or Tanvir?

LOL, he is not a good enough LOI bowler and you want to make him LOI captain?

Who will he replace, Gul or Wahab or Junaid or Cheema or Ajmal?

One of the more ridiculous threads on PP, and I've seen my fair share

NZ he wasn't fit, what did he do wrong on Zim tour?

Pls tell me if there is some wrong with his intl record.

Hammad is a better batsman, but Sohail is the more mature player.

Brainy fellow :sohail

lol Az i though u had enough knowledge of cricket.. he wil and can never be Pakistan captain and honestly i dont even see him in team in few months time...

Misbah should captain Pakistan for next 2-3 years, then Hafeez should take over and Azhar/Asad should be groomed under him as captain for periode after that.

NZ he wasn't fit, what did he do wrong on Zim tour?

Hammad is a better batsman, but Sohail is the more mature player.

Brainy fellow :sohail

What about the T20 WC, was he unfit during that to?

LOL, he is not a good enough LOI bowler and you want to make him LOI captain?

Who will he replace, Gul or Wahab or Junaid or Cheema or Ajmal?

Junaid doesn't deserve a spot in the starting lineup atm.

Sohail
Gul
Wahab
Ajmal

Nos 8-11

OMG he had a bad day in the field :O :O :O

Let's throw him in jail, that's never happened before to anyone, ever!

Bad day? that guy played two matches and got trashed in both hence was thrown out of the team

What? He averages 30 odd with the new ball. He plays for Pakistan, not India. Please don't tell me he's an allrounder.

Plus, he's only got worse since people have picked his action.

ODI average in 2009 was 154, in 2011 it's 53.

And btw, didn't Sohail Tanvir himself say that he was fully fit in NZ and should have been selected for the WC?

And btw, didn't Sohail Tanvir himself say that he was fully fit in NZ and should have been selected for the WC?

Yes but what does Sohail Tanvir know about how fit he is , some ppers(AZ and Shahruk619) know more about Tanvir's fitness than Tanvir himself

AZ, sahi phans gaya hai tu yaar, ab apne is jaldbaazi mein diye hue bayaan ka difa hi karte rehna :D

He needs to make it back in to the team first to have any chance for the captaincy role.

Although we have seen players getting recalled out of the blue and being made captain straight away! :misbah

Of course he'd say he's fit, miss out a chance to play a WC?

Stats :kapil

Has dismissed the likes of Sachin Sehwag Jayasuriya Dravid Gayle and you say he's not good enough.

And he is a bowling all-rounder, you don't make FC hundreds if you can't bat.

Of course he'd say he's fit, miss out a chance to play a WC?

Stats :kapil

Has dismissed the likes of Sachin Sehwag Jayasuriya Dravid Gayle and you say he's not good enough.

And he is a bowling all-rounder, you don't make FC hundreds if you can't bat.

If stats don't matter than lets bring Sami back(who btw was a better ODI ave than Tanvir) because he has taken the wickets of of Dravid, Tendulkar, Trescothick,Ganguly,Ponting and many other great batsman

With that logic an alternative theory is that the PCB just declared him unfit to keep him away from the WC.

You asked about his international record, weren't you expecting stats? Basically, he's giving a lot of runs away before taking wickets. Why? Because he's an 80mph leftarmer with no inswing and not enough control.

AZ said:
you don't make FC hundreds if you can't bat.
In Pakistan sometime you can. :afridi

Shahzaib says hi.

Last edited:
Yes but what does Sohail Tanvir know about how fit he is , some ppers(AZ and Shahruk619) know more about Tanvir's fitness than Tanvir himself

There was a clear difference between Tanvir's bowling in NZ and then in FB Super 8 and Zimbabwe.

Has regained some of the old zip and skiddy pace he had before.

Sohail kukri when started his career was a surprise package or in punjabi JHAKA , he got many batsman out but Honestly his action is a disgrace to Pakistan to mention his record

I say he's not good enough at present. He was good once but that was only a flash in the pan because he had a novelty action - Mendis went through India when he was new too, where has his test career gone?

:facepalm The guys been throwing pies for the last two years

His bowling is shockingly poor and he shouldnt even be in team n you want him to captain? :afrid

:))) :))) :)))

din expect a thread like this frm AZ !!!

sohail tanveeerr ??? i mean seriously ??? :)))

If stats don't matter than lets bring Sami back(who btw was a better ODI ave than Tanvir) because he has taken the wickets of of Dravid, Tendulkar, Trescothick,Ganguly,Ponting and many other great batsman

:13: ok do that, Sami's been good in ODis, I always said I wouldn't mind seeing him in the ODI squad.

Sledger - Mendis was overhyped, no-one is saying Tanvir is a left-handed Imran.

AZ yaar think big:

Sitaron Se Age Jahan Aur Bhi Hain
Tanvir Say Achay Players Aur Bhi Hain

:13: ok do that, Sami's been good in ODis, I always said I wouldn't mind seeing him in the ODI squad.

Sledger - Mendis was overhyped, no-one is saying Tanvir is a left-handed Imran.
I can already imagine the horrific sight of Sami and Tanvir opening the bowling for Pakistan and the opposition team racing to 140 from 10 overs with 40 of those runs being from extras

Sohail Tanvir has gained fame due to his heroics in IPL I and recently in FB T20 Super 8. He has done nothing of note in the last 4 years at the International level. He has never won Pakistan any games single handedly with the ball, and that to me determines how good a bowler is. :akhtar :gul

Sohail Tanvir has gained fame due to his heroics in IPL I and recently in FB T20 Super 8. He has done nothing of note in the last 4 years at the International level. He has never won Pakistan any games single handedly with the ball, and that to me determines how good a bowler is. :akhtar :gul

i often wonder what happened to that sohail tanveer how did his bowling deteriorate so much , he used to be reaally good with his variations and he used to be a more than useful batsman as well.... ?!!?!

200df_ORIG-disbelief.gif

He has been very average during his recent Pakistan outings and certainly should not be considered for captaincy or in fact even the starting 11 imo.

Is this a joke thread? I honestly don't believe anybody could sensibly suggest that Tanvir be made captain in any format whatsoever. The guy is a rubbish bowler, a rubbish batsman and an all round rubbish cricketer. He bowls wide long hops on a consistent basis and that too at gentle medium pace. A few ORDINARY performances against Zimbabwe and now he's king. Amazing logic.

Honestly, what an utter joke. I hate the fact that Shoaib Malik has crawled his way back into this team, but I would accept Malik as captain miles before I would accept Tanvir. And trust me, Malik as captain in my opinion would be an absolute catastrophe for Pakistani cricket.

Why do you think that he wants to make a comeback as an 'all rounder' ? Because he knows his bowling has no depth, for any format, so he wants to slog a little bit, too.
And, lol, yeah you're opening the pandora box by mentionning Tanveer's name in flattering terms: why not bringing Sami back, and Wajahatullah Wasti-Rameez Raja combo as opening batsmen.

I don't think Az has been watching sohail tanvir play recently. The guy can't move. I have watched all of :rr games and I am a big :rr fan and let me say that this guy can't bend down to field and can't come back for doubles when they are easily available.

He is not fit enough to be in the side and I don't think he will recover from his injury anytime soon.

We'll see who gets the last laugh when :rr win the title again this year.

IMO he is a top and I daresay my leading candidate for the job after Misbah.

He strikes me as a very smart cricketer, and one who is not afraid to take responsibility.

His Rams teams has a certain aura and self-confidence that provides some very bold and attractive cricket.

Sure, but shouldn't we first expect him to learn how to bowl?

Worst thread I have seen in the last few months, absolutely ridiculous and baffling suggestion.

Junaid doesn't deserve a spot in the starting lineup atm.

Sohail
Gul
Wahab
Ajmal

Nos 8-11

Even if in some fantasy world this hold true, Sohail would still be your 3rd choice seamer behind Gul and Riaz, now what if the ball is spinning square and you want to drop a quickie?

Sohail isn't even guaranteed a spot in the line-up, and this is holding your assumption that he is a better bowler than Junaid and Cheema (which according to me he is not)

AZ bhai are you feeling okay? :35:

Last edited:
Personally, I don't see him in the team let alone be a captain. He is a very ordinary bowler to be frank and by seeing him, I don't see what he has going for him. Pretty much nothing.

Only if Shahzaib Hasan is the vice captain

Hahaha
Man u cracked me up(or perhaps it's the combination of your post and henni+diet Coke) but honestly if Sohail is captain of pakistan than shahzaib HAS to be VC as they both can only perform (consistently) against the opponents that are not international cricket material.

NO otherwise he will promote himself ahead of Umar Akmal, Asad Shafiq etc in batting order to cement his place.

seemed to bowl well enough today! :rr

and took wickets of players who are similar in quality as sangakara, ponting, sachin, sehwag, tyler, ponting, watson, KP, right?

has to be a joke. he doesn't even warrant a spot in the team.

he needs to apply for bangladeshi passport then may be he could qualify as their captain ...my 15 year old cousin bowls faster then him

This thread is hilarious, It's like an Indian fan saying we have found an 80 mph bowler!

naaa......he needs to improve his bowling first...with umer gul, wahab riaz, tanvir ahmed, his spot is not confirmed as a bowler anyway let alone captaincy

Please, Never Ever

I'd say :ss 's Sarfraz Ahmed is 100 times better than him

I think Manhoos, AZ and Shahrukh is same person :90:

Last edited:
AZ Bhai haters gonna hate He is very mature in his approach and if you see recently performance gaining pace

also plus his power hitting ability plus his brain His brain works like calculater in nervy situatons of the match AGREED FULLY
attachment.php

Please, Never Ever

I'd say :ss 's Sarfraz Ahmed is 100 times better than him

I think Manhoos, AZ and Shahrukh is same person :90:

lolzz check my ip adress me in stockholm AZ is somewhere else and shahrukh is in canada i fink :facepalm:

Even if in some fantasy world this hold true, Sohail would still be your 3rd choice seamer behind Gul and Riaz, now what if the ball is spinning square and you want to drop a quickie?

Sohail isn't even guaranteed a spot in the line-up, and this is holding your assumption that he is a better bowler than Junaid and Cheema (which according to me he is not)

lol how many spinners do you want to play on a 'square turner', 4? you already have Ajmal Hafeez and Malik in the team right now.

not to mention Sohail can bowl left-arm spin as well :yk

Gul and Wahab both are not good enough with the new ball, Sohail is.

Cheema would be unlucky to miss out, but G/W are very much the senior bowlers.

Back