South Africa (621) defeat Sri Lanka (396 & 180) by an innings and 45 runs to win the 1st Test

Daryn Dupavillion should have been in the side. Our bowling looks powder puff.

Valid point but, there is a certain average number of players of colour which SA has to maintain. Though Sturrman who is more experienced than Sipamla could have played.

Last edited:
Well Aussies better pray Pak doesnt give SA much confidence when they tour Pak. :smith

Well that's certainly a possibility.

Given Pak's habit of folding to debutants/newbies , won't be surprised if Sipamla ends up doing some badmashi in Pindi. :yk

Well that's certainly a possibility.

Given Pak's habit of folding to debutants/newbies , won't be surprised if Sipamla ends up doing some badmashi in Pindi. :yk

Cant imagine the title of Shoaib Akhtar’s video after that. :rp

SA have always been Sri Lankas bunny. SL was the last team to beat SA before SA went in there 9 year undefeated streak, in 2006. In 2011 SL won a test at Durban vs a strong SA team. Then in 2019 they beat SA in SA 2-0. Also they thumped SA 2-0 at home in 2018.

Mickey showing the Pakistanis who’s boss! Haha let’s go Sri Lanka!!!

It’s at centurion, therefore I am sure SAF will respond equally or better, but have to say Arthur has posted his mark in Srilanka cricket. They are batting at 4+ rate in SAF which commands every bit of praise and respect. Had Dhana not been injured, could have been even better. But, I think SAF still will win this Test - they can post 500+ here to put pressure on SRL in second innings

Kudos to Mickey and Lankans... this is a terrific riposte... wonderful to watch such breathtaking cricket.. wish we play like this someday!

Supporting CSA.

Go Lungi Go! Hopefully, Markram hits a 200 and seals his spot in SA team.

Sri Lankan all-rounder Dhananjaya de Silva's participation in the ongoing Test against South Africa will be known only after his Ultrasound Scan reports are available.

That has to be the most comical wicket in the history of Test cricket. What was Hasaranga trying?

It’s at centurion, therefore I am sure SAF will respond equally or better, but have to say Arthur has posted his mark in Srilanka cricket. They are batting at 4+ rate in SAF which commands every bit of praise and respect. Had Dhana not been injured, could have been even better. But, I think SAF still will win this Test - they can post 500+ here to put pressure on SRL in second innings

Not sure about that with current SA batting. They might choke under the weight of runs. And SL bowlers are good with the new ball provideecthere is movement and they'll find enough here I think. I cant think of the last time SA scored 500 in such conditions . They are at their weakest.

Slap on face of PCB and Misbah the Politician.

That being said, SL seamers will still have to bowl well.

Supporting CSA.

Go Lungi Go! Hopefully, Markram hits a 200 and seals his spot in SA team.

Why? Always support the underdogs and SL are the underdogs here even though they whitewashed SA the last time.

Why? Always support the underdogs and SL are the underdogs here even though they whitewashed SA the last time.

Personal reasons. SA have always been my second favourite team so I am gonna support them. Don't believe in these underdogs things.

Not sure about that with current SA batting. They might choke under the weight of runs. And SL bowlers are good with the new ball provideecthere is movement and they'll find enough here I think. I cant think of the last time SA scored 500 in such conditions . They are at their weakest.

Still a good batting unit and they’ll play against Srilanka without Lakmal. Arthur has his other mark in the squad as well - there are 2-3 “all-rounders” in Lanka line up who are not going to do much with ball. What SAF has to avoid is losing few wickets against new ball, after that they also can enjoy the trueness of centurion track.

Valid point but, there is a certain average number of players of colour whicSA has to maintain. Though Sturrman who is more experienced than Sipamla could have played.

There's ways around that. Stuurman was gonna play but injured himself. I don't believe he would have made a difference.

If he can, he should just hold an end and try to hit out. No need for singles

Apparently he's going for a scan at the end of the day. Don't think he will be batting again, unfortunately. Cricinfo seem to think it's in the hip-region, so I don't think he'll be able to swing very well anyway. Shame, he was playing so well.

SRL are effectively 7 down and 2nd ball is due. Won’t be surprised if SAF bats today.

Still a good batting unit and they’ll play against Srilanka without Lakmal. Arthur has his other mark in the squad as well - there are 2-3 “all-rounders” in Lanka line up who are not going to do much with ball. What SAF has to avoid is losing few wickets against new ball, after that they also can enjoy the trueness of centurion track.

Maybe but Supersport park has usually favoured teams batting first and it's usually a nightmare to bat last as the pitch starts misbehaving. Only teams that have been blasted out for less than 200 while batting first have lost here. SL have already scored 330 + . Last 10 years' history favours SL.

Maybe but Supersport park has usually favoured teams batting first and it's usually a nightmare to bat last as the pitch starts misbehaving. Only teams that have been blasted out for less than 200 while batting first have lost here. SL have already scored 330 + . Last 10 years' history favours SL.

Runs on board always handy, but I think this game still in balance.

Now Srilanka needs to bat quickly and get all out by today so that they can start bowling at the start or early next day. Just passing by time isn’t helping their course here.

Have SA bowled poorly or SL have just batted very well. It's not often you see an Asian team score 340 runs on the first day in SENA.

In past teams were struggling to bowl 90 overs in six hours... so they extended the game by 30 min. Now, today both PAK & SAF has missed 3 & 5 overs respectively after 6.5 hours and MCG Test lost 4 overs net net.

So what next for ICC - may be extend the game to 7 ours....... until teams start to bowl 85 overs in 7 hours .... may be then we can move to 7.5 hours.

Another famous win coming up for Sri Lanka. If they get 400+ then they will win.

This SA batting lineup is simply awful. I expect them to probably get around 300 and concede a lead of around 100 to SL which should set the game up nicely for SL to set a 300+ 4th innings total.

Runs on board always handy, but I think this game still in balance.

Now Srilanka needs to bat quickly and get all out by today so that they can start bowling at the start or early next day. Just passing by time isn’t helping their course here.

It's a very interesting venue. Teams (among top 8)that have batted first , scored 200 + and still lost include Australia in 97 who only played 2 quicks and had Greg blewett as their 3 red seamer, SL in 98 who were without Vaas, SA in that famous fixed match in 99 in which each team forfeit an innings, SL in 02 when SA chased down 124 and lost 7 wickets in a hard chase, Pakistan who were playing an attack which had Rana and Shahid Nazir as seamers etc.

Basically if a team has scored 200 + and has had enough seamers of sufficient quality , chases have been a nightmare. If SL quicks bowl accurately and move the ball , I dont think SA have a chance .

Last edited:
Early wickets and then some late ones helped the Proteas at least stay in touch with Sri Lanka on their return to Test cricket for the first time in 11 months on Saturday.

After a difficult year in which the coronavirus pandemic halted all sport, there was finally relief for South Africa’s cricketers when they faced the tourists on the opening day of the first Betway Test at SuperSport Park in Centurion where Wiaan Mulder’s three wickets helped prevent the opposition from complete dominance.

The all-rounder, playing his first Test match since debuting against the same opponents in Port Elizabeth in February 2019, claimed three for 68 in a disciplined performance as the Sri Lankans reached stumps on an impressive 340 for six.

They got there after a hugely impressive batting display by Dhananjaya de Silva (79 off 106 balls, 11 fours, 1 six) and Dinesh Chandimal (85 off 161 balls, 11 fours) – the pair sharing a fine 131-run fourth-wicket partnership that only ended after the former was injured.

There was also a handy 49 by Niroshan Dickwella that helped the islanders, shock 2-0 Test series winners on their previous visit to the country, make another positive start to the tour.

In the Proteas’ defence, they did name one of their most inexperienced pace bowling attacks since readmission to the international fold with just 12 caps between Anrich Nortje, Lungi Ngidi, Mulder and debutant Lutho Sipamla.

After a slightly nervy start, the rookies did grab three early wickets in the form of away captain Dimuth Karunaratne (22), Kusal Mendis (12) and Kusal Perera (16).

Ngidi (1/54), Nortje (1/60) and Mulder were responsible for those wickets leaving the score on 54 for three in the 11th over.

But De Silva and Chandimal then dug in as they punished everything loose that was sent down by the home bowlers.

Their stand eventually ended when the former pulled up whilst completing a quick single – his injury forcing him to retire hurt.

But 99 then followed between Dickwella and Chandimal ensuring the Sri Lankans still had some good bite.

However, Mulder dismissed both of them during a much more disciplined spell for the hosts.

Sipamla (1/68) then bagged his first Test scalp when he bowled Wanindu Hasaranga (18) to change the picture slight and leave the South Africans in a much better position at the close.

Proteas squad for the first Betway Test vs Sri Lanka: Quinton de Kock (captain, Momentum Multiply Titans), Temba Bavuma (Imperial Lions), Aiden Markram (Momentum Multiply Titans), Faf du Plessis (Momentum Multiply Titans), Dean Elgar (Momentum Multiply Titans), Keshav Maharaj (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Lungi Ngidi (Momentum Multiply Titans), Rassie van der Dussen (Imperial Lions), Anrich Nortje (Warriors), Wiaan Mulder (Imperial Lions), Lutho Sipamla (Imperial Lions).

Is Sri Lanka winning in South Africa going to be a thing now?

It was embarrassing enough for Pakistan and India that Sri Lanka beat them to the punch, but if they win again it will be a slap to the face of both.

Dhananjaya de Silva Injury Update

Batsman Dhananjaya de Silva, who suffered a ‘Thigh Strain,’ while batting in the 01st Test Match vs South Africa, will not be able to play for about 02 weeks.

The player has sustained a grade 2 tear on his thigh.

He retired hurt on 79, while batting in the first innings on the 1st day of the ongoing test match (WTC) vs South Africa.

De Silva out for two weeks due to injury, so Sri Lanka a batsman short for the rest of the match.

Huge early blow to SL. Their best pace bowler Rajitha pulled a hamstring. And cant bowl any more.

Huge early blow to SL. Their best pace bowler Rajitha pulled a hamstring. And cant bowl any more.

2 down 9 to go. And don't tell me ICC allow me subs for concussion only Nad not if even a player die due to anything else, best governing body with best rules. take a bow.

Sri Lanka pace attack is not that great. Always thought South African batting line up would take advantage.

South Africa have lost 2 out of 25 tests on this ground. They know how to win on this ground. Posters should think about that.

SA in luck . DDS injury limited SL's score and now no Rajitha either.

Wouldn't have made a difference .

South Africa have lost 2 out of their last 25 games on this ground. They know how to win on this ground. What difference would a part time spinner and an inexperienced fast bowler made?

[MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION], you were spot on about South Africa in their batting. They should be targeting 500.

Back