South Africa ODI World Cup all time XI

Ab Fan

Senior Test Player
Runs
The list is based on ICC tournaments performance especially the World Cup as SA have often found guilty to not perform in World Cups or in big games.

Herschelle Gibbs
Quinton de kock (wkt)
Jacques Kallis
AB de Villiers
Faf du Plessis/ Van der dussen
Hansie Cronje (c)
Lance Klusenar
Shaun Pollock
Dale Steyn/Morne Morkel
Imran Tahir
Allan Donald

12th man - David Miller

Players like G Smith, Amla and Kirsten were poor in World Cups, hence didn't merit a place in these lists.

Kirsten who averages more & had a better strike rate than Kallis had poor world cup records!!!! Did you watch the man bat or are you just going by the statistics purely?

Kirsten
Gibbs
De Kock (wk)
ABDV
Markram
Miller
Pollock
Donald
Maharaj
Tahir
Ntini

Intentionally left Kallis out because I think Kallis was the cancer to their white ball teams that they never realized and did anything about. His defensive mediocrity ensured that team never played an aggressive brand of cricket.

We shouldn't have one seeing that most of those players never performed against good opposition or when it mattered.

When we exclude the West Indies, Bangladesh and the minnows South African batsmen have 3 centuries in World Cup events collectively (excluding the current campaign).

One was scored by Faf in a dead rubber against Australia in 2019. They had already qualified for the semi finals and we were knocked out. That's statpadding in a nutshell (his friend AB would know all about that).

The other two belong to Gibbs. 1 v Australia in 99. Dropped S. Waugh in that game; "you just dropped the World Cup mate", lol. The other was against NZ, ironically we lost that game too having posted an imposing total of 306 thanks to a S. Fleming master class

We could lose all our remaining games in the current WC and yet we would have done more in these first two games than we have in 8 World Cup attempts. We've scored 3 centuries in this WC already. Let that sink in for a bit.

For perspective Rohit Sharma scored 4 in 2019 alone. His scores read: (52 v Aus), 102 v Eng, 140 v Pak, 122 v SA, 103 v Sri. Runs against opposition of substance AND when the tournament is still alive.

To conclude we might as well select the current crop as they've shown some stomach to score runs at the very least

The list is based on ICC tournaments performance especially the World Cup as SA have often found guilty to not perform in World Cups or in big games.

Herschelle Gibbs
Quinton de kock (wkt)
Jacques Kallis
AB de Villiers
Hansie Cronje (c)
Lance Klusenar
Shaun Pollock
Dale Steyn/Morne Morkel
Imran Tahir
Allan Donald

12th man - David Miller

Players like G Smith, Amla and Kirsten were poor in World Cups, hence didn't merit a place in these lists.

I don’t think you have any idea how good Garry Kirsten was.

In today’s era, he’s a 55+ averaging opener in both formats

Peter Kirsten
Gary Kirsten
Gibbs
ADBV
Cronje
De kock
Kluesener
Pollock
Donald
Steyn
Morkel

Kirsten was not poor in WCs at all. That is a completely inaccurate assessment.

Just one hundred which came vs UAE, you expect better from an opener. He has only one good knock in World Cup which was 80 odd vs NZ , Gibbs outscored him there as well. Pretty easy pickings when your opening partner is also scoring runs in first inning of the game.

In World Cups, he has just one hundred which was vs UAE. For an opener, you expect better. Look at what Gibbs did. Even Qdk now has a hundred vs Australia.

Shocked at how know apart from me has mentioned Peter kirsten. The guy was 3rd top scorer in 92 world cup and quality batsmen

Peter Kirsten
Gary Kirsten
Gibbs
ADBV
Cronje
De kock
Kluesener
Pollock
Donald
Steyn
Morkel
That's a sold side,very underrated. Only thing I would change is bringing a spinner in. I can't stand Tahir due to his obnoxious celebrations but the man was a wc performer. I would happily trade Steyn for him. For a man of such high pedigree & the way he was always allowed extra privileges he has been a bottler. Never stood up once in crunch situations.

That's a sold side,very underrated. Only thing I would change is bringing a spinner in. I can't stand Tahir due to his obnoxious celebrations but the man was a wc performer. I would happily trade Steyn for him. For a man of such high pedigree & the way he was always allowed extra privileges he has been a bottler. Never stood up once in crunch situations.
Yeah possibly I could bring Tahir in for morkel, but in general SA spinners have been great in world cups.

I actually wanted to pick jonty Rhodes in my team purely because his fielding saved so many runs and he chipped in well with bat

Yeah possibly I could bring Tahir in for morkel, but in general SA spinners have been great in world cups.

I actually wanted to pick jonty Rhodes in my team purely because his fielding saved so many runs and he chipped in well with batThe only way to accommodate Jonty is to
The only way to accommodate Jonty is to drop Peter, I don't see how you can drop anyone else.

Kirsten was a minnow basher. He has hundreds against the UAE and the Netherlands. If we only include the teams I've mentioned then he averages 30 at a strike rate of 62. Even for those days that's an abysmal scoring rate.

Klusner and Donald might have choked the 99 World Cup but at least they turned up against decent opposition. Can't win a WC with one or two players. The compiled list is useless and redundant. These players simply refused to score runs in World Cups

You would trade ABD for Jonty??
AB is the ultimate statpadder. He shouldn't be anywhere near any team. He doesn't know the meaning of the word. Never seen a softer cricketer in my life. Give him a platform and he'll demolish the opposition, sure.

But when your backs are against the wall or the great players around him retire he's the last person you need. It's no coincidence that he won jack all with RCB either. Selfish as they come

AB is the ultimate statpadder. He shouldn't be anywhere near any team. He doesn't know the meaning of the word. Never seen a softer cricketer in my life. Give him a platform and he'll demolish the opposition, sure.

But when your backs are against the wall or the great players around him retire he's the last person you need. It's no coincidence that he won jack all with RCB either. Selfish as they come
I don't care about IPL or any league whatsoever. For me internationals are all that matter. AB may not have always stepped up when required but you can accuse this of literally every great batsman of your country from last 31 years. He did the best he could do as a batsman & skipper in the 15 semifinal, it's not his fault Steyn as usual lost the plot & chocked on the big match. He led from front & won your only odi series in India, the toughest place to win a bilateral in last 15 years. He was also crucial in winning that 08/09 series in Aus. Chased an impossible total along with Smith & JP. Statpadder is a term I would use for Kallis & Amla. No way AB was worse or softer than those two.

Kirsten
Gibbs
De Kock (wk)
ABDV
Markram
Miller
Pollock
Donald
Maharaj
Tahir
Ntini

Intentionally left Kallis out because I think Kallis was the cancer to their white ball teams that they never realized and did anything about. His defensive mediocrity ensured that team never played an aggressive brand of cricket.
When taking about legends like Kallis, have some decency and show respect

Was the player of the tournament in the 1998 Champions Trophy that South Africa won.

Won South Africa countless bilateral series, at that time bilaterals were relevant as there was not an ICC event every year.

How is Kallis at fault for Donald getting run out in 1999, Shaun Pollock miscalculating DRS in 2003.

What do you feel about Virat?
SINGLE DIGIT scores in the 3 most important ODI matches India played and LOST between 2014 to 2019.
2015 WC semi-final vs Australia
2017 CT final vs Pakistan
2019 WC semi-final vs New Zealand
Would you still have him in an Indian all time ODI eleven?

I don't care about IPL or any league whatsoever. For me internationals are all that matter. AB may not have always stepped up when required but you can accuse this of literally every great batsman of your country from last 31 years. He did the best he could do as a batsman & skipper in the 15 semifinal, it's not his fault Steyn as usual lost the plot & chocked on the big match. He led from front & won your only odi series in India, the toughest place to win a bilateral in last 15 years. He was also crucial in winning that 08/09 series in Aus. Chased an impossible total along with Smith & JP. Statpadder is a term I would use for Kallis & Amla. No way AB was worse or softer than those two.
He hid down the order when the ball was zipping about only to not have enough time to statpadd once the platform was laid, which is fitting. All he'll ever be is a platform bully and support cast, nothing more.

In terms of talent, sure, he's the best we've produced. But substance? He's way down the order. He is to South African cricket what Ian Bell was for England which puts into perspective what a waste of talent he was

Was the player of the tournament in the 1998 Champions Trophy that South Africa won.

Won South Africa countless bilateral series, at that time bilaterals were relevant as there was not an ICC event every year.

How is Kallis at fault for Donald getting run out in 1999, Shaun Pollock miscalculating DRS in 2003.

SINGLE DIGIT scores in the 3 most important ODI matches India played and LOST between 2014 to 2019.
All these players are complicit for our World Cup woes one way or another.

I've zoomed out a bit and have taken a good look at our performances in World Cups. There's enough sample size to draw damning conclusions. It's just that some want to exonerate their favourites.

I don't have favourites when it comes to my country. Players that serve as well and stand up when it matters (like they did in Tests) they'll have my respect. I loved Kallis the Test player but in ODI's, especially early on in his career he was selfish. 03 WC vs NZ comes to mind, 07 vs Australia (Super 8?) there's plenty more.

We don't deserve a WC XI, it's a waste of everyone's time. Rather select the current lot

The problem with South Africa is that they consistently overrated their bowling in the past and didn't have an attacking batting lineup to make up for it. Teams that overrate their bowling strength, at the cost of deepening batting strength, have consistently gotten smashed at World Cups.

And when they had world-class batting and bowling in 2011, they were extremely inexperienced and collapsed under pressure in the knockouts.

This time they once again neither have batting depth with Jansen coming at 7 nor do they have the experience compared to IND, OZ, NZ and ENG.

Could be another thrashing come the business end no matter how well they have started off.

He hid down the order when the ball was zipping about only to not have enough time to statpadd once the platform was laid, which is fitting. All he'll ever be is a platform bully and support cast, nothing more.

In terms of talent, sure, he's the best we've produced. But substance? He's way down the order. He is to South African cricket what Ian Bell was for England which puts into perspective what a waste of talent he was

You do remember he was playing as middle order batsman in that tournament, right? So it wasn't exactly his job to negotiate the zipping new ball, that was Amla(who as usual went missing on big stage), QDK & FDP's job, which they did just about fine. But then again it was him who brought the momentum back after subpar <5 rpo was being maintained by those 2. It was him & an absolute blinder from Miller which enabled SA to that huge total. Just don't see how he was at fault or hiding or statpadding. I mean scoring a 65 at near 150 sr can't be dubbed as statpadding, right?

So tell me, if he is substantially not your GOAT or at least one of your best, then who is/was? Remember we are only talking about odi's, because in tests obviously Kallis & Smith blow him out. I am very eager to know who was the best SA odi batsmen of last 3 decades according to you? Only one I would agree is Gibbs, but even if he is not qualified enough as per you, then it gets really interesting. So, please do tell.

I don't know how to answer properly to that strange yet completely left handed analogy with Bell. Sure, he was talented & an educated fan will acknowledge with you that he underachieved massively. But he was a very different player from AB, had a very different role. He was a touch player, not a power hitter. He was an accumulator not an enforcer. If I had to choose an English counterpart of AB then it would obviously be KP, but then again you most probably would disagree since you don't rate AB that high. If you wanted to crucify AB by comparing him with an English counterpart then the most credible name that comes to mind is Marcus Trescothick. As in, he was extremely talented, explosive, a genuine match winner on his day, but didn't really fulfill his potential & kind of ended up as one of those "what if" stories of modern cricket.

If I was coach of SA team and I would have to pick best possible XI for Indian conditions I would go with this team

G. Kirsten
H.Gibbs
H.Amla
J.Kallis
ABD Villers
H.Cronje
L.klusner
N.Boje
P.Symcox
S.Pollock
FD Villers

Batting right down till 10 .

4 pace options plus two spin options. Cronje can also bowl.

Very good fielders as well.

Agree with the most part but bilateral never meant anything. Like ever.

Bilateral are there just to find your best combo. No one cares about bilateral even back in 90s and 2000 era.

Test series sure
That matters a lot
Not odi bilaterals

Kirsten
Gibbs
De Kock (wk)
ABDV
Markram
Miller
Pollock
Donald
Maharaj
Tahir
Ntini

You left out Klusenar also.

Agree with the most part but bilateral never meant anything. Like ever.

Bilateral are there just to find your best combo. No one cares about bilateral even back in 90s and 2000 era.

Test series sure
That matters a lot
Not odi bilaterals
Misbah crying after we beat South Africa in South Africa in 2013

The Pakistan-India ODI series in 2012

The 2010 ODI series against England where we won the 3rd ODI at Lords to stay alive in the series

The 2010 ODI series against South Africa (the best bilateral series that I have watched). The 2nd, 3rd and 4th ODI got me as nervous as a knockout game of an ICC event

At that time, bilateral were IMPORTANT. atleast for me
But yeah, now I hardly remember caring about a white ball bilateral series

Misbah crying after we beat South Africa in South Africa in 2013

The Pakistan-India ODI series in 2012

The 2010 ODI series against England where we won the 3rd ODI at Lords to stay alive in the series

The 2010 ODI series against South Africa (the best bilateral series that I have watched). The 2nd, 3rd and 4th ODI got me as nervous as a knockout game of an ICC event

At that time, bilateral were IMPORTANT. atleast for me
But yeah, now I hardly remember caring about a white ball bilateral series
Nha man. Not for me. Most teams don't care about bilateral in odi. World cups matter. Champions trophy to an extent. But never bilateral.

In tests absolutely yes.

And 100% I agree kohli was a failure in ko stages for India since 2013 in odi.

My updated ATG World Cup XI from Southern Afrikaan

Kirsten
Gibbs
Du Plessis
ABDV (wk)
Rhodes
Miller
Klusner
Pollock (captain)
Steyn
Tahir
Donald

You do remember he was playing as middle order batsman in that tournament, right? So it wasn't exactly his job to negotiate the zipping new ball, that was Amla(who as usual went missing on big stage), QDK & FDP's job, which they did just about fine. But then again it was him who brought the momentum back after subpar <5 rpo was being maintained by those 2. It was him & an absolute blinder from Miller which enabled SA to that huge total. Just don't see how he was at fault or hiding or statpadding. I mean scoring a 65 at near 150 sr can't be dubbed as statpadding, right?

So tell me, if he is substantially not your GOAT or at least one of your best, then who is/was? Remember we are only talking about odi's, because in tests obviously Kallis & Smith blow him out. I am very eager to know who was the best SA odi batsmen of last 3 decades according to you? Only one I would agree is Gibbs, but even if he is not qualified enough as per you, then it gets really interesting. So, please do tell.

I don't know how to answer properly to that strange yet completely left handed analogy with Bell. Sure, he was talented & an educated fan will acknowledge with you that he underachieved massively. But he was a very different player from AB, had a very different role. He was a touch player, not a power hitter. He was an accumulator not an enforcer. If I had to choose an English counterpart of AB then it would obviously be KP, but then again you most probably would disagree since you don't rate AB that high. If you wanted to crucify AB by comparing him with an English counterpart then the most credible name that comes to mind is Marcus Trescothick. As in, he was extremely talented, explosive, a genuine match winner on his day, but didn't really fulfill his potential & kind of ended up as one of those "what if" stories of modern cricket.
Nope, he hid down the order as he did in the Champions Trophy as well. It's what he does. He wants a platform laid. If not, "Mr 360" becomes zero degrees. You won't find a spineless cricketer. I'm done discussing de Villiers tbh

In white ball cricket, South Africa have not produced a batsman half of the callibre of AB de Villiers. No wonder this is why Southern Afrikaans have a sorry legacy of batsman in white ball cricket.

Last year, they stooped to the lowest by embarassing themselves in a must win game vs not just minnows but even worst an associate nation, the Netherlands.This is what you get under the leadership of an absolute mental midget like Bavuma. It was next level shame and this is why South Africa will go down as the 8th best cricket nation in white ball cricket.

Kohli was the top scorer during the 2013 champions Trophy final.

Nope, he hid down the order as he did in the Champions Trophy as well. It's what he does. He wants a platform laid. If not, "Mr 360" becomes zero degrees. You won't find a spineless cricketer. I'm done discussing de Villiers tbh
You didn't answer me properly though. Who's the best odi batsman SA have ever produced? How many of them are better than him?

You didn't answer me properly though. Who's the best odi batsman SA have ever produced? How many of them are better than him?

de Villiers is the best by far. No need to debate when you know all you will get in return is toxicity.

How many batsman in the history of the game averages 50+ at strike rate of 100+ with a sample of 5000 runs?

How many batsman in the history of World Cups average 60+ at strike rate of 110+ with a sample of 1000 runs?

Southern Afrikaans have lost matches to Netherlands, an associate cricket nation last year in a must win game but now all of a sudden a 2007 host and 2011 World Cup West Indian team becomes minnows so runs against them don't count lol?

I suggest to rest this topic and stick to the actual discussion which is the best possible XI. Make sure you leave toxicity in peace.

Herschelle Gibbs
Quinton de kock (wkt)
Jacques Kallis
AB de Villiers
Hansie Cronje (c)
Lance Klusenar
Shaun Pollock
Dale Steyn/Morne Morkel
Imran Tahir
Allan Donald

12th man - David Miller

With chokers like Cronje Kallis and Donald its a recipe for disaster add in Amla and Boucher and it becomes all time bottler XI

With chokers like Cronje Kallis and Donald its a recipe for disaster add in Amla and Boucher and it becomes all time bottler XI

I have added Cronje and Kallis because they were pivotal in winning SA their only ICC tournament in 1998. Cronje was a quality ODI all rounder and as boring as Kallis was, his overall utility is very hard to ignore. You get a consistent batsman who is surrounded with explosive batsman and he gives you 5-6 economical overs with a wicket here and there every game too.

I have added Cronje and Kallis because they were pivotal in winning SA their only ICC tournament in 1998. Cronje was a quality ODI all rounder and as boring as Kallis was, his overall utility is very hard to ignore. You get a consistent batsman who is surrounded with explosive batsman and he gives you 5-6 economical overs with a wicket here and there every game too.
Agreed Kallis Cronje are World class players it's just the mental thing where they have suffered

de Villiers is the best by far. No need to debate when you know all you will get in return is toxicity.

How many batsman in the history of the game averages 50+ at strike rate of 100+ with a sample of 5000 runs?

How many batsman in the history of World Cups average 60+ at strike rate of 110+ with a sample of 1000 runs?

Southern Afrikaans have lost matches to Netherlands, an associate cricket nation last year in a must win game but now all of a sudden a 2007 host and 2011 World Cup West Indian team becomes minnows so runs against them don't count lol?

I suggest to rest this topic and stick to the actual discussion which is the best possible XI. Make sure you leave toxicity in peace.
I know already more or less what you said. But still the fact remains he is one of the very few if not the only resident South African PP poster. So obviously it's always intriguing to read what he thinks about his team. There are thousands of Ind, Pak & BD posters here, but he, Aman (Nz) or Robert(Eng) due to their exclusivity bring different views.

ok so he will perform in 1 important match out of 4?
He also scored an invaluable 35 again sl that set the platform for ind to win. Kohli has already won a odi wc and a ct. I see you keep on attacking guys like dhoni and kohli who have won multiple international trophies but you support a team that hasn't even played in a odi wc final in the 21st century. New Zealand and sri Lanka have done better in the biggest cricketing competition in the last 20 years than Pakistan have and you are a one country sport

SA player's performance in WC
Player Mat Runs Ave 100 50
L Klusener 14 372 124 0 3
PN Kirsten 8 410 68.33 0 4
HE van der Dussen 11 445 63.57 1 3
AB de Villiers 23 1207 63.52 4 6
F du Plessis 23 926 57.87 2 7
HH Gibbs 25 1067 56.15 2 8
DA Miller 16 516 51.6 1 0
AC Hudson 12 571 47.58 1 4
G Kirsten 21 806 47.41 1 5
JH Kallis 36 1148 45.92 1 9
KC Wessels 9 313 44.71 0 3
HM Amla 22 842 42.1 2 5
GC Smith 20 747 39.31 0 6
DJ Cullinan 15 471 39.25 0 3
Q de Kock 19 659 38.76 2 4
AK Markram 10 302 37.75 1 1
JP Duminy 18 458 35.23 1 1
WJ Cronje 23 476 29.75 0 2
MV Boucher 25 381 27.21 0 2
JN Rhodes 24 354 20.82 0 0
SM Pollock 31 279 17.43 0 1

Player Mat Wkts Avg Econ SR 5W
A Nel 6 12 18.08 4.14 26.1 1
M Morkel 14 26 19.46 4.66 25 0
RJ Peterson 10 16 20 4.32 27.7 0
Imran Tahir 22 40 21.17 4.41 28.7 1
L Klusener 14 22 22.13 4.82 27.5 1
AJ Hall 12 19 23.05 4.42 31.2 1
DW Steyn 14 23 23.39 4.67 30 1
AA Donald 25 38 24.02 4.17 34.5 0
BM McMillan 15 17 25.47 3.73 40.9 0
S Elworthy 8 10 26.2 3.63 43.2 0
CH Morris 8 13 26.23 5.35 29.3 0
CK Langeveldt 9 14 27.5 5.42 30.4 1
M Ntini 13 16 29.31 4.07 43.1 0
K Rabada 11 16 30 5.11 35.1 0
AL Phehlukwayo 9 11 30.54 5.43 33.7 0
SM Pollock 31 31 31.29 3.6 52 1
JH Kallis 36 21 43.04 4.28 60.2 0

Talent wise AB is the best we've produced. I've always stated that. However we've had players with less talent shape and decide games more often than de Villiers. I'd have Gibbs ahead of him easily

There's no one. A lot of their cricketers in the past were really weak.

AB, Steyn, Morne, Amla were carrying that team in 2015 World Cup.

And they had a squad with Farhan Behardien and Aaron Phangiso lol.

There's no one. A lot of their cricketers in the past were really weak.

AB, Steyn, Morne, Amla were carrying that team in 2015 World Cup.

And they had a squad with Farhan Behardien and Aaron Phangiso lol.
Steyn did jackshit in the 15 world cup, it's due to him & his tendency to choke in major white ball matches that SA lost that match & few before.
The last two were filling up the stupid quota system, which has truly ruined the overall balance of SA cricket.

Talent wise AB is the best we've produced. I've always stated that. However we've had players with less talent shape and decide games more often than de Villiers. I'd have Gibbs ahead of him easily
It's a smart reply even though you didn't properly answer what I wanted to know. Why are you hesitant to name the guy you think was the best you have ever produced? Is it Gibbs, if it is then just say clearly.

Kirsten was not poor in WCs at all. That is a completely inaccurate assessment.
Kirsten overall was a very good batsman. But he was very average in World cups. Look at the record below. His highest came against UAE. There is no other impactful innings at all. He has 1 hundred and 5 fifties in WCs. Hundred came against UAE and three of his five fifties came against, Netherlands, Kenya and Bangladesh. The other two were against WI, who were a declining force and NZ who were so-so. Kristen has a terrible WC record for such a good layer.
1697560936686.png

It's a smart reply even though you didn't properly answer what I wanted to know. Why are you hesitant to name the guy you think was the best you have ever produced? Is it Gibbs, if it is then just say clearly.
I clearly said Gibbs. AB's best performances came when a platform was laid anyway (or a support cast)

I clearly said Gibbs. AB's best performances came when a platform was laid anyway (or a support cast)
I believe even Gibbs didn't exactly perform according to his potential. He should have ended with much better numbers (40+ average, 25 hundreds, strike rate close to 90). He had a bit laid back attitude like Mark Waugh & Saeed Anwar, all of them immensely talented but had casual approach.

Gibbs
Qdk
Kallis
ABDV(c)
Klaasen/Markram
Miller
Klusenar
Jansen
Pollock
Tahir
Donald

A left arm pacer is all what SA needed and they have it this time who can be explosive too. This seems an apt World Cup XI for South Africa. But 2nd inning is still a question mark. No place for chokers like Amla, Smith, Kirsten who failed vs all non-minnow nation especially chasing.

Back